Options

Epic Fail - 5 digits in AD to "Change Appearance..." of items

2»

Comments

• Options
    g4tt0g4tt0 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    knightfalz wrote: »
    You didn't have a problem paying the more than 50k (as it was at the old price) just to switch it to an axe for a very short term event. You shouldn't have a problem paying less now to transmute it again. If you don't want to pay the cost the reverse a transmutation you should avoid transmuting your weapon for short term events.

My point is that while the transmutation price is quite high + the preview window does not work for weapons, it should at least give us permanent skin for items so ppl could switch between already purchased skins as often as they like.
  • Options
    knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    g4tt0 wrote: »
    My point is that while the transmutation price is quite high + the preview window does not work for weapons, it should at least give us permanent skin for items so ppl could switch between already purchased skins as often as they like.

My point was you didn't have a problem paying to change your weapon look for a short-term event before. It seems the price of doing so wasn't "quite high" for you, as you didn't mind the luxury of changing it for such a thing.

Now that the cost is even lower, you shouldn't have a problem paying to change it again.

If you got what you wanted it would reduce the AD cost of weapon transmutation, which is currently where they want it, so it won't happen. There is no 'should' about what you want. It is simply what you, and probably many others, wish was so.

You didn't mention anything about the preview window in this thread until this post that I remember, which is totally unrelated to the cost of transmutation in any case, so I'm not sure why you are mentioning it now.
  • Options
    eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    We don't need to know how they fix things. All we need to know is when they are fixed.
    You get to see what patches have done in the patch notes.

This part really made me laugh. They may be the poorest "patch notes" I have seen in my 38 year programming career.

Patch notes
    • Reduced overall wind resistance
    • Updated driver controls

Reality
    • Removed front and rear window allowing smoother air flow
    • Moved brake to where horn was located
    • Turn signals tied to motion of steering wheel
    • Parking brake deflates tires for increased traction/ground contact
    • side mirrors increased to 3' x 2' for better visibility
    • Entire car re-painted in neon pink for safety
  • Options
    g4tt0g4tt0 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    My point was you didn't have a problem paying to change your weapon look for a short-term event before. It seems the price of doing so wasn't "quite high" for you, as you didn't mind the luxury of changing it for such a thing.

Now that the cost is even lower, you shouldn't have a problem paying to change it again.

If you got what you wanted it would reduce the AD cost of weapon transmutation, which is currently where they want it, so it won't happen. There is no 'should' about what you want. It is simply what you, and probably many others, wish was so.

You didn't mention anything about the preview window in this thread until this post that I remember, which is totally unrelated to the cost of transmutation in any case, so I'm not sure why you are mentioning it now.

Preview window is totaly unrelated? And how you find out how the item actually look like with your current weapon enchant? Transmute it and if you don't like it, just transmute it back again?

So again, what I am saying is that the transmutation price would seem much more reasonable for permanent skin for given character.

And about the old price vs. new price - lol, don't forget we have stupid BoP now, so while 60k (or how much exactly it was, i dont remember) was pretty much nothing before, 50k is quite a lot now.
  • Options
    melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    While 50k for transmuting is a lot, I really don't like the fact that you can't go back to your previous "skin" which you used (and paid for) in past for free. When we pay 50k for transmutation, It should be permament so we could switch between the appereances.

For example, I have ancient dagger weapon which I have transmuted to a sword-type weapon. After a few weeks, I transmuted it to again to orc axe from the event. Now, when I finally have greater vorpal, I keep thinking how it would look like on the sword again - and it is kind of silly that I must pay another 50k just to see it.

So my opinion is that if we transmute an item for 50k, it should be saved as "skin" and we should be able to use it for free as we like for the given piece of armor/weapon.

the transmutation is permanent. if you could switch between the original and what you've transmutated the item to, it wouldn't be transmutation.
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    melodywhr wrote: »
    the transmutation is permanent. if you could switch between the original and what you've transmutated the item to, it wouldn't be transmutation.

No, but it would be awesome. It would also encourage people to invest in more skins and help to diversify the player base. And make the AD cost of skinning more bearable if it allowed a catalog of choices that could be expanded upon over time, and swapped to at will. Rather then a fixed singular choice. Not to mention the savings in bank and storage space.
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Perhaps I'm wrong, but I can't help but think that if transmuting were vastly cheaper (say, 5k-10k at 60, scaled down similar to it is now), people would do it a heck of a lot more. Even during the lower levels. Leading to a larger total AD sink from the economy (many people transmuting often, vs a handful of "hah, wasting 50-300k for a look is pocket change!" folks)

I know that I would have done a lot of transmuting if the prices were like that. Of course, I'm the only person I can speak for. :p

(In the end, I've never considered costuming & appearance change to be an "elite" or "special" thing. It's a basic utility, not a luxury item. Something that should be common and accessible.)
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    eldarth wrote: »
    This part really made me laugh. They may be the poorest "patch notes" I have seen in my 38 year programming career.

They do the job well enough. Cryptic has never been about hard numbers on most things, and that level of detail generally isn't needed anyway. The game is hardly comparable to the design or alteration of a car, which could greatly affect revenue earned by changes to it's design, or will cost a good deal of money by someone altering an already owned vehicle.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Preview window is totaly unrelated? And how you find out how the item actually look like with your current weapon enchant? Transmute it and if you don't like it, just transmute it back again?

So again, what I am saying is that the transmutation price would seem much more reasonable for permanent skin for given character.

And about the old price vs. new price - lol, don't forget we have stupid BoP now, so while 60k (or how much exactly it was, i dont remember) was pretty much nothing before, 50k is quite a lot now.

Yes, the preview window is totally unrelated to the issue at hand, the cost of transmutation. It would, however, be highly related to a request to make the preview window functional, so that one could see the end result first.

Still, lacking a functioning preview feature didn't stop you from paying more than 50k (the old rate) just so it would look different for a short term event, so obviously it wasn't all that much of a problem for you in the past.

To gain the benefit of a transmutation you have to equip the item, which would bind it to you in any case. As such, the transition of some items from BoE to BoP has nothing to do with it, so the 50k isn't any more "quite a lot" than the previous fee was.
  • Options
    eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    They do the job well enough. Cryptic has never been about hard numbers on most things, and that level of detail generally isn't needed anyway. The game is hardly comparable to the design or alteration of a car, which could greatly affect revenue earned by changes to it's design, or will cost a good deal of money by someone altering an already owned vehicle.

For the general player, perhaps "well enough." For the Foundry authors who have to spend hours and hours re-working quests because they happened to change the placement of trees on existing maps, or decided a bunch of previously lush, green grass should be brown and dead looking, etc. Imagine if suddenly every door in every one-story home in a neighborhood were suddenly made 5 inches taller. Without notice. Or warning. Just a sudden "surprise!" No, definitely not well enough for the people creating (through hours and hours of painstaking detail work) FREE content for Cryptic's customers.

Edit: Totally off original topic -- but my thread so I don't care. :p

...back to the original topic -- I agree with what someone said earlier that if it were much cheaper it would occur much more often and probably be a larger AD sink than it is now -- as well as increasing Zen sales for vanity items. It is definitely not this expensive in other MMOs.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    kiralyn wrote: »
    Perhaps I'm wrong, but I can't help but think that if transmuting were vastly cheaper (say, 5k-10k at 60, scaled down similar to it is now), people would do it a heck of a lot more. Even during the lower levels. Leading to a larger total AD sink from the economy (many people transmuting often, vs a handful of "hah, wasting 50-300k for a look is pocket change!" folks)

I know that I would have done a lot of transmuting if the prices were like that. Of course, I'm the only person I can speak for. :p

(In the end, I've never considered costuming & appearance change to be an "elite" or "special" thing. It's a basic utility, not a luxury item. Something that should be common and accessible.)

If transmutation were much cheaper some would do a lot more of it. Others would just spend a lot less on it. The overall effect on AD sinking is impossible for us to know as we don't have the data required to estimate the impact.

The people that do have that data have decided to set the price at around 50k when at level 60.

Changing appearance isn't an elite thing. It is, though, a cosmetic issue, that doesn't affect one's game play mechanically. Since it doesn't have any material effect on game play it is one of those places where f2p games often seek to make revenue... in this case, perhaps by inspiring people that want to make frequent changes have to purchase zen to 'transmute' into AD.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    eldarth wrote: »
    For the general player, perhaps "well enough." For the Foundry authors who have to spend hours and hours re-working quests because they happened to change the placement of trees on existing maps, or decided a bunch of previously lush, green grass should be brown and dead looking, etc. Imagine if suddenly every door in every one-story home in a neighborhood were suddenly made 5 inches taller. Without notice. Or warning. Just a sudden "surprise!" No, definitely not well enough for the people creating (through hours and hours of painstaking detail work) FREE content for Cryptic's customers.

This is another false analogy. Sudden changes away from a standard door size to some random customized one would require several expensive modifications on every building in a neighbourhood. That's why we have standard door sizes and stick to them.

Adjusting to changes to Foundry incurs no such financial cost, and wouldn't necessarily inflict a great deal of time cost, especially with the now more functional editor. In any case, detailing such changes with precision wouldn't prevent the need of Foundry authors to adjust to them, so the patch notes would still be fine as they are.
  • Options
    colonelwingcolonelwing Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    xhrit wrote: »
    My foundry campaign has hours of intense character interaction with complex emotional dialog, and was designed for me to speedrun through in under 10 minutes.

Sorry, but the person i replied to asked, how to earn AD in a limited timeframe. Not how to fall asleep. :rolleyes:

(Always keep in mind, talk is cheap. People want action and rewards.)

seeya.

• Options
    imsmithyimsmithy Member Posts: 1,378 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Yes I agree , the cost of Transmutation is a little bit silly , 51k+ per item at level 60 is just far too high , doesn't really bother me anyways since the only item I REALLY want atm to transmute is the Arcane wanderers hat (the only decent looking CW hat in the whole game ) that is for sale at the wondrous Bazaar at about 1.3 million AD xD
  • Options
    maisaanmaisaan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 166
    edited September 2013
    I agree. I think it's way to expensive to reskin your armour and weapons with the though that you can't reuse the skin again. The reason I will never go for skins unless they can be put in the costume slots.