test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Devs: Foundry authors are all leaving and frustrated.

2»

Comments

• Options
    apocrs1980apocrs1980 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    ddsauter wrote: »
    I have not left but.... i have to say i was quite shocked and unnerved by 1 star bombing with hateful comments. 6 over 3 days. Now i could give a ****ing flying fig what anyone thinks of my work but the comments... now that was something i was not prepared for. My first reaction was to unpublish and not republish. I'm still undecided on if publishing is something i even need to do. I enjoy making quests simply for the fun of it. anyway, i'd love to see a solution eventually that either blocks me from seeing hate/harassing comments or disallows anyone from leaving them... dunno.

This generally happens with bot farming programs where the user has set the bot to leave a 1 star and nasty review for no other reason than their own twisted enjoyment. In either case I would report the harassment and get their account banned.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Cragsteep Crypt - BETA
    Ravenloft
    Look for@Apocrs1980 or visit the main page here or Ravenloft here
  • Options
    eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    apocrs1980 wrote: »
    This generally happens with bot farming programs where the user has set the bot to leave a 1 star and nasty review for no other reason than their own twisted enjoyment. In either case I would report the harassment and get their account banned.

Hmm. I foresee a Turing test in my quests futures.
  • Options
    bluehawk89bluehawk89 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    tilt42 wrote: »
    "Foundry authors are all leaving and frustrated" - When did you become a spokesperson for the author community? I prefer to speak for myself, thank you very much. If you are leaving and frustrated, then that's ok. Don't put words into other authors' mouths though. You really have no idea where people have gone. If you ask me, I'd say a lot of people are gone because most games only have a shelf life of a month or so for most people. Few games can counteract that. Then again, I can't say for sure, and neither can you.

He's pointing out an observation that he has observed and he is not speaking for you.
  • Options
    karitrkaritr Member Posts: 662 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    ddsauter wrote: »
    I have not left but.... i have to say i was quite shocked and unnerved by 1 star bombing with hateful comments. 6 over 3 days. Now i could give a ****ing flying fig what anyone thinks of my work but the comments... now that was something i was not prepared for. My first reaction was to unpublish and not republish. I'm still undecided on if publishing is something i even need to do. I enjoy making quests simply for the fun of it. anyway, i'd love to see a solution eventually that either blocks me from seeing hate/harassing comments or disallows anyone from leaving them... dunno.

Was this after the patch?

Bot messages would be obvious surely? If it was a bot program, all messages would be exactly the same and you'd be seeing 10+ one stars in a row.

Not to diminish the injustice Dee's quests have suffered, but six 1* ratings over 3 days doesn't sound like 'bombing' to me, though the motive could very well be the same (to keep the quest from reaching 'Best' status). If this happened post patch though, it could simply be down to a broken function, in the same way that Trishani suffered several 1* ratings when the trees decided to mate on her map.

Dee, your maps are great, I hope you republish. As for the hateful comments, report them. If more suthors do this, maybe an ignore function can be put in place...along with some bans for the worst offenders.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    bluehawk89 wrote: »
    He's pointing out an observation that he has observed and he is not speaking for you.

It's still hyperbole.
  • Options
    davenachtkindfxdavenachtkindfx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    If your building a foundry mission for anything other than for the simple fact that you love to create, you end up being disappointed in the end.

Agree, but's very frustrating to see, if the new quest you made can't be found.

Ofc if you get into the "new" Foundry search and understood the system behind, are you able to find it, but it's to much for a normal player.

- Would be cool to get more stuff, like an extra Foundry tab, with a new Foundry quests promoted once every hour.
    - Better ( and working ) rating system like a veto option for bad ratings.
    - Better filters, with working tags.
    - Foundry only rewards and back to normal XP.
    Please play my quests, have fun & give me feedback.

Upstairs not Downstairs... ( English - Quick Daily Foundry Quest - 16 mins)
    NW-DLS2W4BEN
    Mercenary School ( English - Quick Arena - 18 mins )
    NW-DOMN4EUYJ
    Der Schrei ( German - Story Quest - 20 mins )
    NW-DIO7EPLIS
    Etwas Zeit? ( German - Story Quest - 25 mins )
    NW-DLB3WMAIP
  • Options
    rokoilrokoil Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    i dont understand how all the "test" and "unfinished", as they are named, get on the "new" or review list when Some folks, including myself, spend hours and days trying to hone an adventure to have it rot in the "Zone chat: someone try my quest please" land.
  • Options
    koboldbard2koboldbard2 Banned Users Posts: 334 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    karitr wrote: »
    If it was a bot program, all messages would be exactly the same and you'd be seeing 10+ one stars in a row.
    I looked into the most common bot program people use for Neverwinter out of curiosity since I've done ai scripting for another game. Based on how the main bot program works (visible in the bot site's videos promoting it), someone would have to specifically add a particular Foundry mission to the bot program, you can't just tell it to play a random Foundry. Since the bot needs a real person to program it for a Foundry, author implemented Turing tests will likely be useless because a live person set up the bot for the Foundry.

So, even if it is botting 1 stars, the person behind the botting would have to be targetting that specific Foundry. Based on postings from many different authors, they get targetted when their missions are threatening to get on the best list.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I don't doubt that quests get targetted, but hateful comments attributed to rival authors using bots? I don't know.

Maybe I am just sceptical because it seems like a step too far to me, but then I am a reasonable, sane person. The other thing with this practice, if it happens, is that it will never be effective. There are too few spaces on the 'Best' tab for their machinations to matter and they, along with everyone else, would be better off spending their time doing something more constructive.
  • Options
    koboldbard2koboldbard2 Banned Users Posts: 334 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    karitr wrote: »
    I don't doubt that quests get targetted, but hateful comments attributed to rival authors using bots? I don't know.

Maybe I am just sceptical because it seems like a step too far to me, but then I am a reasonable, sane person. The other thing with this practice, if it happens, is that it will never be effective. There are too few spaces on the 'Best' tab for their machinations to matter and they, along with everyone else, would be better off spending their time doing something more constructive.
    The bots are essentially just a programmed set of key commands: move to this map spot, cast x, click x etc. They are at their core a fancy keyboard macro with a few rules programmed in.

Because of their keyboard macro nature, very little extra is required to have them select from a set of comments to enter in the review box at mission end. Selecting a random text string to type out/say in chat/etc is a trivial task, I have written bard npcs that will tell about a hundred different tales at random if the pc gives them a coing to hear a tale. A few wildcards and some lookup tables and the bot person can play madlibs with reviews.
  • Options
    chili1179chili1179 Member Posts: 1,511 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    You just can't please all the 2 million players I guess.

>.>
    There is a rumor floating around that I am working on a new foundry quest. It was started by me.
  • Options
    tannakaobi2tannakaobi2 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    chili1179 wrote: »
    You just can't please all the 2 million players I guess.

>.>

Lol @ 2 million players! ;)
  • Options
    thalazar1thalazar1 Member Posts: 163 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Lol @ 2 million players! ;)

as one person in PE zone chat said when the announcement first came out. "the game just hit 1.5 mil farmers / bots / and gold spammers."
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The Lost Keep NW-DS1XBAK7D An experiment Daily Foundry
    The Ruined Temple NW-DBHC7MUBL Latest and last one Daily Foundry