test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Transmuting only within classes

ravisanaravisana Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited September 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I was so excited about transmuting looks. I grabbed a trickster hat only to find out it wouldn't work. I get that a control wizard transmuting a sword would be weird. but seriously?

I'm hoping this will be implemented in future. That you can transmute the looks of things from any class for armor.
The only reason I could think of for not doing this is recognizing classes from a distance in pvp. Would be cool to dress like a control wizard, then run up and turn out to be a great weapon fighter. Oh lol look at the mage getting in melee range oh <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> she has a sword. XD

If you guys could deck yourself out in any armor combo, what would it be?

This is ARMOR ONLY. all class weapon transmuting would be pointless and annoying so you can leave that part out of the discussion.
Post edited by ravisana on

Comments

• jorifice1jorifice1 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    ravisana wrote: »
    I was so excited about transmuting looks. I grabbed a trickster hat only to find out it wouldn't work. I get that a control wizard transmuting a sword would be weird. but seriously?

I'm hoping this will be implemented in future. That you can transmute the looks of things from any class for armor.
    The only reason I could think of for not doing this is recognizing classes from a distance in pvp. Would be cool to dress like a control wizard, then run up and turn out to be a great weapon fighter. Oh lol look at the mage getting in melee range oh <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> she has a sword. XD

ANYTHING?
    O.K.
    THIS!
    (Hey, it IS the same Game Engine)
    http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s584/JOrifice/screenshot_2012-10-04-13-54-41_zps9727284f.jpg

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    It would be great if we could place shirts or chest armor from any class into the "top" fashion slot, and pants/boots pieces in the "bottom" fashion slot, regardless of what class they're from.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • spudviciousspudvicious Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    bioshrike wrote: »
    It would be great if we could place shirts or chest armor from any class into the "top" fashion slot, and pants/boots pieces in the "bottom" fashion slot, regardless of what class they're from.

iirc, LOTRO does something along similar lines for their equivalent of fashion slots. They have as many cosmetic only slots as they have visible real armor slots, so that people can mix and match real gear into their fashion set.

Personally, I'd love some more cosmetic options, and while I know a costume designer on the level of Champs Online's incredibly awesome one would probably not quite fit here in NW, I do think that there could still be some more flexibility put into the system somewhere.
  • fallenhawkfallenhawk Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Weapons I want hold two giant swords with my Rouge.
    [SIGPIC]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/Badbones/Mysig.png[/SIGPIC]
    I can still move.
    I can still fight.
    I will never give up!
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited August 2013
    ^That's a great example of why it isn't allowed.

Also there are a number of reasons why this isn't done such as the inability for wizards to wear heavy armor without suffering a loss to their casting.

With helmets, boots and gauntlets there isn't much of a need for the restriction but the armor, weapon, shirt and pant models can't be mix-matched without stepping on some of the rule restrictions.
  • bladepowahbladepowah Member Posts: 45
    edited August 2013
    ravisana wrote: »

Good idea and a feasible suggestion. But in terms of recognizing the enemy, he can just look at the pvp score board, then will know what class is his target. That is if he will really go into much of detailed info about his enemies.
    edited August 2013
    What wrong with holding two giant swords? I still be doing same damage just my dagger look like giant swords. <_<
    >_>
    I can still move.
    I can still fight.
    I will never give up!
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited August 2013
    First of all a greatsword is a two handed weapon. Can you swing a greatsword IRL in each hand?
    Thought not.

The same rules of physics apply in D&D unless magic interferes.

Secondly, please do take a look at the rules. Most/all of the Trickster Rogue abilities require you to use a "Small" weapon. Daggers, Shortswords, Sickles and such. Even one greatsword would be strictly prohibited.

This isn't Final Fantasy. ;)
  • desstzodesstzo Member Posts: 77
    edited August 2013

can you teleport behind someone in IRL? ;)
    edited August 2013
    First of all a greatsword is a two handed weapon. Can you swing a greatsword IRL in each hand?
    Thought not.

Secondly, please do take a look at the rules. Most/all of the Trickster Rogue abilities require you to use a "Small" weapon. Daggers, Shortswords, Sickles and such. Even one greatsword would be strictly prohibited.

This isn't Final Fantasy. ;)
    Are Great swords even real, sec it's a game not real life,and last but not less I said look like one not is one.
    I can still move.
    I can still fight.
    I will never give up!
    edited August 2013
    Unless magic interferes.

As for Deft Strike there's two aspects to that. First of all if you read the ability in PnP you physically jump behind an enemy. The teleporting is more of a NW aspect probably because it would be incredibly difficult to animate such an unrealistic jump and not make it look stupid.

However in PnP Rogues do have some powers where they draw on the "shadows." Which is something they emphasized in NW such as the use of Deft Strike. Shadows basically because a form of magic in D&D with the inclusion of Fourth Edition.
    edited August 2013
    fallenhawk wrote: »
    Are Great swords even real, sec it's a game not real life,and last but not less I said look like one not is one.

Greatswords are a real weapon and were commonly used in pre-firearm days.

p9160037.jpg

Secondly...look at the Lord of the Rings movies. That's what D&D is. It's the real world with magic.
    Just because it is fantasy doesn't mean the law of the world is thrown out the door. The rules of the physical world are no different until magic or deities interfere.
  • valwrynvalwryn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,620 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    desstzo wrote: »
    can you teleport behind someone in IRL? ;)

I scare the bageezies out of many peeps by poppin in behind them :o
  • ravisanaravisana Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013

Also there are a number of reasons why this isn't done such as the inability for wizards to wear heavy armor without suffering a loss to their casting.

With helmets, boots and gauntlets there isn't much of a need for the restriction but the armor, weapon, shirt and pant models can't be mix-matched without stepping on some of the rule restrictions.

I'f my wizard can run into battle naked I think she should be able to wear a trickster rouge hat? The transmutation system doesn't take any of the stats, and in real dnd you could always just take a feat and wear other armor. I could understand if control wizards can only transmute control wizard and trickster but that seems a little overly fiddly.

I would never say make other class weapons transmutable. that would be lolzy and would just be too hard to code/design.

But armor? yea. you should be able to take a piece of armor from any class and transmute it. Transmuting doesnt transfer stats so I dont see why the heavy armor would be a penalty since there are not stats involved... perhaps a zen market item can remove the stats and class restriction from an item ? or a special vendor that does it for ad or gold. A skilled craftsman that reproduces the look of the item without it being too heavy. Or a special vendor that sells one set of armor from each class that you can transmute with. and you buy it with gold or glory or something.

so far I haven't seen any elemental damage resistance, armor penalties, speed penalties, accuracy penalties like in dnd in this game. You would think those masks would make it harder for a rouge to hit properly, or the giant glowing gear would make more foes aggro the tank yes? a good game balances fun, logic, time to develop new features, game income and player satisfaction.
    edited August 2013
    Just because the effect is only visual doesn't mean the same rules don't apply.

Wizards can't wear plate armor so transmuting into plate armor is a no-no-no never.
    Reason: They're not supposed to wear armor!

If they wanted wizard to wear plate armor the rules wouldn't exist to begin with.

The penalties/resistances don't exist for a number of reasons. First of all it separates the player bases. If there was a boss who was weak to fire it could hurt the chances of players getting into groups if they don't have fire enchants or fire spells. Also, as you can guess, it allows easier transmutations. Hence why you can turn a GF's weapon from a slashing weapon (longsword) to a bludgeoning weapon (hammer) to a piecing weapon (spear). The class is the class.
    However the class as it is definied by D&D still exists. Wizards can't use armor. Rogues can't use metal armor. Clerics can't use platemail (this one is a bit gray since they can with appropriate feats).
  • nightspiritgnightspiritg Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by fallenhawk View Post

Yes Great-swords are real,I collect swords and knifes and have a nice great-sword with a demon head handle,you could hold one,one handed but you could not fight with one hand that weight and balance make it impossible which is why they are called two-handed swords,look on-line and you will find dealers.
    edited August 2013
    I'm not sure how it is in 4e, but in 3.x, wizards and rogues could (especially with the right feat) wear higher classes of armor, but there were penalties to consider, especially for arcane casters like wizards. wizards had a spell failure chance to contend with in any armor heavier than basic leather, and rogues had many abilities that simply were unusable in certain classes of armor. and then there were the different things that were subject to armor check penalties, etc. all in all, it was rarely ever worth it.

a lot of that would be a pain to incorporate into the game, though.

As for aesthetics, I could see the possibility of a wizard using illusions to make him/herself look like their clothes are armor. beyond that, I could see certain individual pieces that would likely work anyway for transmuting, like the hat that the OP wanted.

Honestly, I think the real issue at stake here is not transmuting other class armor pieces, but rather having more variety of armor appearances available for transmutation for each class. As many people have pointed out, most of the armor in game is just slight variations and incremental alterations of the same few sets of armor, one theme per class. If there were more to choose from, then threads like this would not come up as often.

It is a lot of work for the artists, but I think it would be worth it for a lot of people. I have little doubt that the devs already know this, though, and I'd be rather surprised if they haven't already had people working on this sort of thing. Either way, it will take time.
    edited August 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by fallenhawk View Post

Yes Great-swords are real,I collect swords and knifes and have a nice great-sword with a demon head handle,you could hold one,one handed but you could not fight with one hand that weight and balance make it impossible which is why they are called two-handed swords,look on-line and you will find dealers.

back when I was into that, a couple dealers that were particularly nice were Atlanta Cutlery and Museum Replicas Ltd. Check 'em out.
  • concubinesconcubines Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Secondly...look at the Lord of the Rings movies. That's what D&D is.

If that's true, then Gandalf + his longsword proves the OP is right.
    edited August 2013
    Wizards can use longswords. Not well but they can use them.

If this followed third edition it'd be easy, peasy. But it follows fourth and as the "basic attacks" are "At-Will" powers in Neverwinter it doesn't translate well at all. Look at Mako, though, who uses a sword as an implement dueing the trailer. It's possible and probably will come along but not by means of cross-class transmutation.
  • reagenlionel1reagenlionel1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I agree with Ambisinisterr.

But one thing I'd like to add in however is. Yes wizards arent supposed to be wearing heavy armor for it would inhibit thier spellcasting ability.

however with transmutation. thats not really the armor they are wearing. More like an illusion of other armor, where it is actually cloth clothing.

However with weapons, i can see that not applying. As if someone swings a dagger, transmuted like a greatsword. That simply wont work for the fact is, even though its an illusion, you cannot use the actual FUNCTION of the weapon to what it would be illustrated as.

Where as armor's function is merely to protect. Its passive.

Weapons are active, and that kind of transmutation wont work.

So where I do agree that players should be allowed to transmute all types of armor.

Weapons should be excluded.

Ex: Try to use Gloaming Cut with two Greatswords.
    EX#2: Reaping Strike with a dagger.
    edited August 2013
    Stop crashing my dream of holding two big *** weapons. D:
    I can still move.
    I can still fight.
    I will never give up!
    edited August 2013
    concubines wrote: »
    If that's true, then Gandalf + his longsword proves the OP is right.

in normal D&D, I'd be with you on this, but the way this game handles it implies that the orb thingy is necessary for wizard magic now. They make big points about how with the destruction of Mystra and the Weave, magic has to work a different way now. While I haven't seen anything that outright says the orb is a required implement, it sure seems to be from how they all but force every wizard to use one (or else be gimped).

Is this a reflection on 4e? I honestly don't know, but I really doubt it. someone please correct me if I'm mistaken there. Rather I believe this is more one of the changes that were made from the tabletop in order to make this work as an MMO without completely disregarding lore.

Forgive my inferences and suppositions here, but it's about the closest thing to sense I've managed to make about wizards in this game.
  • reagenlionel1reagenlionel1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    in normal D&D, I'd be with you on this, but the way this game handles it implies that the orb thingy is necessary for wizard magic now. They make big points about how with the destruction of Mystra and the Weave, magic has to work a different way now. While I haven't seen anything that outright says the orb is a required implement, it sure seems to be from how they all but force every wizard to use one (or else be gimped).

Is this a reflection on 4e? I honestly don't know, but I really doubt it. someone please correct me if I'm mistaken there. Rather I believe this is more one of the changes that were made from the tabletop in order to make this work as an MMO without completely disregarding lore.

Forgive my inferences and suppositions here, but it's about the closest thing to sense I've managed to make about wizards in this game.

While Im with you on that, I think that strictly applies to arcane magic needing the orb.

As other kinds of magic, such as the hexers, and red caps and demon sorcerers, also the dark witches

use staffs, and the red caps use daggers. Where the hexers use magic of hellfire magic as with the demon sorcerers, and the red caps use blood magic, the dark witches using dark magic.

So I think the orb is nessecary for things that utilize arcane magic strictly.
  • ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Thought not.

Can you fight a magical undead dracolich in real life?

Thought not. :)
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
    edited August 2013
    ironzerg79 wrote: »
    Can you fight a magical undead dracolich in real life?

Thought not. :)

The existence of magic and mystical creatures doesn't negate the physical laws that are directly described in D&D lore, novels and rulebooks.

That argument is one step short of trolling in all honesty :p
  • ravisanaravisana Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Just because the effect is only visual doesn't mean the same rules don't apply.

Wizards can't wear plate armor so transmuting into plate armor is a no-no-no never.
    Reason: They're not supposed to wear armor!

If they wanted wizard to wear plate armor the rules wouldn't exist to begin with.

The penalties/resistances don't exist for a number of reasons. First of all it separates the player bases. If there was a boss who was weak to fire it could hurt the chances of players getting into groups if they don't have fire enchants or fire spells. Also, as you can guess, it allows easier transmutations. Hence why you can turn a GF's weapon from a slashing weapon (longsword) to a bludgeoning weapon (hammer) to a piecing weapon (spear). The class is the class.
    However the class as it is definied by D&D still exists. Wizards can't use armor. Rogues can't use metal armor. Clerics can't use platemail (this one is a bit gray since they can with appropriate feats).

That all makes a lot of sense. But I think you are missing the fact that dnd has illusions and, in general, it has people living in the world that are craftsmen. There would be someone who could create an outfit that looks like chainmail. It could be illusions and cloth, or fake metal or paper craft. Cosplayers do it all the time, and without anything that would be impossible to do in a fantasy realm.

I think that it is something the devs should think about incorporating at some point. Guardian weapon fighters can't wear cloth armor, yet they can wear fashion clothes. There aren't any "rules" about wizards not wearing armor. This game is dnd lore, not dnd rules. There's no cold iron or silver or turn undead. They made it so you can't wear other class armor because someone chose to code it that way. If it was following dnd rules guardian fighters would be coded to be able to wear wizard clothes. Of course I could be wrong. What dnd rules DID they put in the game anyways?

I suppose if making a digital piece of armor look like another digital piece of armor is so terrible they could make a fashion set of each classe's gear. but that's just the easy way out.
    edited August 2013
    The existence of magic and mystical creatures doesn't negate the physical laws that are directly described in D&D lore, novels and rulebooks.

That argument is one step short of trolling in all honesty :p

My sub-5' scrawny halfling can whip around a sword that's longer than them like it weighed nothing. We also got a skin for daggers that make them look like short swords, so there's something to it at least.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
  • korgulltekorgullte Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 95
    edited August 2013
    While it would be good for looking cool the transmutation has a lot of issues if you wanted to try and marry it to dnd. First we would need to have the prerequisite stats to use said armor and the according feats as well. Not a problem for your native heavy armor wearer but your wizard would have to gimp himself pretty considerably to wear plate for example. Now if you wanted to cast a illusion of wearing plate over your robes there might be a argument there and another can of worms to deal with :P.
    edited August 2013
    korgullte wrote: »
    While it would be good for looking cool the transmutation has a lot of issues if you wanted to try and marry it to dnd. First we would need to have the prerequisite stats to use said armor and the according feats as well. Not a problem for your native heavy armor wearer but your wizard would have to gimp himself pretty considerably to wear plate for example. Now if you wanted to cast a illusion of wearing plate over your robes there might be a argument there and another can of worms to deal with :P.

The other issue, IMO, is that you'd think that wizard garb would tend to have more or better enchantments cast upon them, while fighters' armor would have less. Why not be able to have a wizard's robe w/ some kind of strong defensive enchantment, and a restriction or greater difficulty in finding apiece of fighters' armor that has a similar thing.

You'd also think that even a trained fighter would have some problem moving around in full plate all the time.

It's just one of those concessions that have to be made in favor of balance - Gameplay and Story Segregation:
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GameplayAndStorySegregation