test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Tower of the Lost Wizards: NW-DSE9JPUCV Review Trade

Comments

• melindenmelinden Member Posts: 619 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    And more minor edits and clean ups per your review Sintered, thanks! And I'll be happy to play yours
    Find me in game with @DoctorBadger
    (Un)Academic Field Work Foundry Campaign: NWS-DAPZB2CTZ
    edited July 2013
    Imperialmen: Great revisions, a solid little quest.
    edited July 2013
    If you get a chance, I'd appreciate a run-through of the second quest in my sig. It's been around a while, but has lately been extensively redone. Thanks.

I really liked it, incredibly creatively use of the foundry materials!
    edited July 2013
    OK, new version up with changes per player comments:

-I've had as many items consumed as I can with "Interact". Of course I'm just as stuck with the "Contact" as you.
    -generally cleaning of messy positioning

So am I losing my mind or was there a stealth patch and now NPCs can give items?? It is only with the Contact as a whole, so I couldn't use it, but I know there were people reporting this on the Preview Server.

Finally, I'm going to keep up review trades, I'd like this to be eligible for the Daily. When that happens and I think it is about as good as I can get it I would like to send it for Spotlight consideration since Who Knows, you need to get lucky sometimes, right? So let me know if I can trade with you or if you have anything else you would like to bring to my attention.

Thanks again!
  • ambitionxpambitionxp Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Playing and reviewing it right now. Nice use of lore. 5 stars. Good luck getting featured!

I have a background in English, and I noticed some grammar errors that I noted below (note: it's meant to improve your map and be constructive, not snooty):

-At the beginning of quest, the door says "Press F to Open to go inside"; it should be "Press F to open and go inside".
    -Bloodstain dialog outside of tower contains a run-on sentence. Probably best to end with "...they were unsuccessful. The door is still intact."

-Notebook directly east inside tower needs editing. "smashing furniture, and ..." "...in a small vase. Lady Shajar...".

-Chalk Runes north of notebook: "...is gone, and now the rest of us..." "...key Azar hid for me, and..."

-Born of the Djinn book: "...is old and crumbling. It was likely..."

-Born of the Djinn book: Why should the reader think it was owned by a homesick wizard? (Didn't follow)

-Runes north east in tower: "I had to move the key again since I think the favored..."

-Magic barrier for chapel: "Press F to open the barrier

-quickly written letter: "...never any bother to me that outsiders..."

-Altar to the first magister: "Azuth defeated him and took his place "favored Azuth highly, and he served..."

-Acubens: option 6: "I am happy when I can remember what we had."

-Acubens: End dialogue: "It is locked away here, and it should be given to others..."

-Chancellor: And what of Magister Yonuf Acubens? You say..."

-Chancellor: "I'm not sure what I would do if I witnessed my..."

-Chancellor: "Thank you for your help, [name]. You have been..." "...paltry pay. If you are lucky..."

When you can, please play through my foundry quest. I am trying to get it daily eligible. NW-DNR5AK4ZK. Thanks!
    NW-DNR5AK4ZK
    The Cursed Armor of Steele
    edited July 2013
    Thanks for the detailed notes! I'm happy to have text editing especially since it is so tedious to do. I made all the changes but two. I think we are working from different style backgrounds on comma usage. The changes should be uploaded now. I also added a small line in the Chancellor's welcome. The name of the organization is in the summary but it was suggested I add it in the quest itself.

I'll be happy to play yours this evening!

Update: Comment sent. Also, to answer your other question, I made the comment about the owner of the travel guide for two reasons. The first is that I thought I might want to make it clear why someone would own a travel guide to their old home and second is that Calimshan was all but completely destroyed in the fallout from the Spellplague. I was hoping to indicate that this was out of date information. There certainly would be no reason that a book with current information to be in the building. I considered giving Acubens some dialogue indicating he knew what happened (and thus had no home to go back to) but I've had some comments complaining I have too much lore and background in the story already. The Lore Hounds will know already I suppose.
    edited August 2013
    Thanks to everyone's help the quest is now daily eligible. I'll leave it alone through Sunday to see if there are any other things people catch for me and then I'll probably send it to the featured consideration list. I'm getting antsy to get started on my second one and I have the story flowchart done, but I want to make sure I don't run away from this one before it is done.

As always I'm happy to trade reviews and will send detailed notes. It certainly beats reading student papers....which starts for me in 19 days. Yay?
  • duurduur Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 112 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I've run it again, and it was nice to see it eligible for the daily foundries....

I am really impressed with all the details, lore you got into it, adding to it's story.
    I hope I can find more foundries as good as yours is now already.
    Play for fun, Work to get rich, These two are not compatible!
    edited August 2013
    That's very kind of you to say that Durr, I hope my sophomore effort is as good if not better.

This one had dropped to 14 minutes. I've added a few more encounters, nothing above standard difficulty and nothing my DC could not handle on a live test. I imagine there isn't anything authors can do if someone really wants to speed run something, but I understand that if someone wants to run this one a second time for a daily they don't really want to read all the optional stuff.

I'm hoping to keep it short and sweet and daily eligible at the same time, not as easy as it looks I guess. If you would like more trades, please post here, I will also be trading reviews in other threads.

Thanks again everyone!
  • aaldaemonaaldaemon Member Posts: 94
    edited August 2013
    I'll trade you a review. :) My quest is in my signature.

EDIT: I played and reviewed it.

Good job!

Liked the amount of story and lore you put into it.

It was a good fun quest overall!
    Assassination Contract NW-DOD6JMS5H - story + combat. Trading reviews.
    I'm improving my quest on an almost daily basis - so if you come back to it after a week or so, it won't be quite the same!
  • docsc00terdocsc00ter Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Always happy to trade reviews! :)

Just finished the quest, and I left you a review + tip in-game.

This is a really nice adventure! I enjoyed the inclusion of all the D&D lore, and found myself looking for additional items that offered the rich backstory of the quest. The final NPC invoked genuine sorrow (the poor guy!). Combat and pacing were terrific. Great stuff!
  • lolsorhandlolsorhand Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 981 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    I'd be glad to trade a review with you :) - The Brethren Song NW-DN73Z66BA
    I like turtles.

Brethren of the Five, Campaign. - Story focused
    The Dwarven Tale - Hack 'N Slash
    edited August 2013
    Hi Docsc00ter,

I thought this might be your 2nd Dumedalot quest, but since this is the first then I've already played it and reviewed it. It is great, a compact story with all the right elements. I am really looking forward to going back to the village for the second chapter.
    edited August 2013
    aaldaemon wrote: »
    I'll trade you a review. :) My quest is in my signature.

Tons of detail and I liked how you gave out the pieces of evidence. I'm looking forward to the next chapter!
  • docsc00terdocsc00ter Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    melinden wrote: »
    Hi Docsc00ter,

I thought this might be your 2nd Dumedalot quest, but since this is the first then I've already played it and reviewed it. It is great, a compact story with all the right elements. I am really looking forward to going back to the village for the second chapter.

Heh... Just about finished with the second in the series. It's got more of an ebb and flow of combat, and I'm attempting to accomplish the entire adventure in a single map. (Creating interior rooms on an interior map, and creating an adventure that takes you at least briefly into the sky over the village have been time-consuming challenges. But it's almost there...)

Thanks!
    edited August 2013
    lolsorhand wrote: »
    I'd be glad to trade a review with you :) - The Brethren Song NW-DN73Z66BA

I couldn't kill Karian and Jalice, so that is as far as I got.
    The environments are beautiful and it really feels like you are in a novel. I had three quick notes: the use of "smirk" instead of smile in a few dialogues threw me off. Also, I thought I had Brent's axe to give to his wife? I saw in the dialogue that he took it from his belt, so I must not have picked it up? Finally, I had two items (with different icons) in my inventory named "Dreambreaker", I'm guessing one was supposed to have a different name (the 2nd key?).
    edited August 2013
    Ok, a big new revision is up. I had been struggling to figure out how to get it to be a few minutes longer without just adding filler encounters. It was only because I've been playing so many other foundries (and taking notes!) that I finally came up with something.

So:
    -another puzzle
    -an optional big fight
    -a little rearranging of one map in order to accommodate the changes

As always I am happy to trade reviews. And I know (since it is 2am) that I probably broke something in there or added a dozen more typos. If you keep finding 'em, I'll keep fixing 'em.

The moral of the story: Play and review foundries!
  • zerkovaplayerzerkovaplayer Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    One of the things that sticks out to me is the lack of item-interaction quests when the item is an important component, either to the quest path or to the plot, e.g., gem in the pedestal, going and grabbing the research before returning to Neverwinter, etc.

Other than that - and not knowing where to look for the illusionary wall - I liked it reasonably well.
    Foundry Quest: Breaking the Chain NW-DELOGH4IH
    (Daily eligible! Could use more reviews. Largely complete.)
    edited August 2013
    One of the things that sticks out to me is the lack of item-interaction quests when the item is an important component, either to the quest path or to the plot, e.g., gem in the pedestal, going and grabbing the research before returning to Neverwinter, etc.

I'm not quite sure I follow what you're saying here. Do you mean that the quest text does not say "Find the gem to open the portal?" or is it something else?
  • adylhereadylhere Member Posts: 46
    edited August 2013
    Does the illusionary wall appear only if certain objective is done? I got stuck in search for Jelani and I saw it only after retaking the quest. I am sure I was near it because I searched around thinking that there was some puzzle I was missing and that I am plain stupid.
  • zerkovaplayerzerkovaplayer Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I'm not quite sure I follow what you're saying here. Do you mean that the quest text does not say "Find the gem to open the portal?" or is it something else?
    I mean actually using the "interact with item" quests on the storyboard. For example, with the research you're supposed to bring back, you're told to go get it and told where it is (it's not hidden), but the quest path is leading straight to the portal home and you don't actually need to pick up the research to complete the quest line, even though the research is very plot-central.

IIRC, with the portal-gem thing, the mechanical quest goal at that point was using a portal, which then gives you a broken red arrow.
    Foundry Quest: Breaking the Chain NW-DELOGH4IH
    (Daily eligible! Could use more reviews. Largely complete.)
    edited August 2013
    Adylhere: There is an invisible wall that keeps players from entering the meditation room, but if you are close enough to the invisible wall you should be able to see it. I can retest this live to be absolutely sure.

Zerkovaplayer: That's by design. Some Authors hate the quest trail and do everything to turn it off (*cough*Neverwinter1776). I dislike the idea that a character would know what to find. So in my mind: The door is locked, so there must be a key around here somewhere. I don't like: The door is locked. Go get the silver key with the red tassel on it.

As for why the quest trail won't read correctly in that one spot, I'm not sure. We have very little control over that thing. I can mess with it a little and see if I can improve it.

I appreciate the feedback and I will test it live again. I have a few things I want to change but like a lot of authors I'm waiting for the filter fix first. Whoo, say that five times fast.
    edited August 2013
    still improving, I see I like it.

I will pm you some thoughts, because they can be seen as spoilers

but still on the good path :)
  • rayfwrayfw Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I am stuck, i really dont know how to 'go up into the tower'
    =.= what am i missing here?
    edited August 2013
    Rayfw, did you see my goof on the first run? (it's on the first page)

if it isn't that, tell where you are, university, garden, etc. (and since the last updates the teleporters can have issues on the landing side, that's a known issue, NW is working on that)
    edited August 2013
    the room with red imp,
    i placed the green crystal on the pedestal,
    a door open with a blue portal,
    then quest ask me to go up the tower,
    but i dont know how...

thats it
    edited August 2013
    The problem is that the next step is a teleporter. Teleporters are the major bug that the devs have been working on. I'm working on the project in the Foundry, cleaning and testing mostly. But some of the threads here are reporting there are still teleporter problems. I'll republish tonight and run it live and see if there are any problems.

-WITH- the bug, the teleporter was in the floor and "Out of Line of Sight" and couldn't be accessed when I tested it last week.
    edited August 2013
    OK, I have the new version publishing now, I'll run a live test later tonight. Everything looks ok in the Foundry, but we'll see. Since I was making a pass over all the maps I varied the music and added some more details from the new assets to the last two. I also made it so the Quest path should work insofar as I can control it.

Let me know if anything still needs fixed.
    edited August 2013
    It worked for me...

it still managed to give me goose bumbs at certain spots.
    nice little add-ons :)
    edited September 2013
    The problem is that the next step is a teleporter. Teleporters are the major bug that the devs have been working on. I'm working on the project in the Foundry, cleaning and testing mostly. But some of the threads here are reporting there are still teleporter problems. I'll republish tonight and run it live and see if there are any problems.

-WITH- the bug, the teleporter was in the floor and "Out of Line of Sight" and couldn't be accessed when I tested it last week.

Yes, this is the problem.