Install Arc
Options

Why hate GWF ??

Comments

• Options
    holsacholsac Member Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    aeonsage wrote: »
    As an aside: Why is it that you can craft shirts and pants for the other 4 classes and not the GWF? I assume this was the case even before this current issue. Is this an oversight or by design?

Mailsmithing makes shirt & pants for GWF
  • Options
    ggyuggyu Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    aeonsage wrote: »
    Having read this thread I will agree they went overboard with nerfing the GWF, which should not be a tank, but an AOE/DPS build as stated...GF is the tank with its blocking defense. My GWF is the least useful on PVE, but I didn't start until after this issue, so have no experience with how the GWF was before, only how it is now. I agree too much emphasis is being placed on how efective a class is in PVP...which is supposed to be a team event, so find a way to overcome the obsticles as a team!

As an aside: Why is it that you can craft shirts and pants for the other 4 classes and not the GWF? I assume this was the case even before this current issue. Is this an oversight or by design?

First Shirts and pants fro Mailsmithing .
    Second GWF not tanker neither That aoe dmg lol
    Now CW make way way more aoe dmg than us
    Try to enter to CN ?
    Keep spam Looking for group for party for CN ,Nope when CW or Dc or TR say I want CN ,He get spam invite ,lmao
    Fact is i'm from beholder server and i just notice that 1 only weapon set for GWF is left in AH with 5million~!
    Why ?? Because GWF can't enter now CN ,Because perfect party 3 CW ,1 TR and 1 Dc =.=
    KILLERDDDD
  • Options
    aeonsageaeonsage Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    holsac wrote: »
    Mailsmithing makes shirt & pants for GWF

Well thank you...didn't think of looking under mailsmithing when the GWF uses PLATE armor...
  • Options
    sortofsortof Member Posts: 196 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Unstoppable bug has been fixed, thank you very much !
    Whatever we deny or embrace, we belong togheter./ Pat Benatar
  • Options
    gardhullgardhull Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    sortof wrote: »
    Are you dyslexic ? The lack of formatting in your post is amazing. It makes it almost incomprehensible. Maybe you should stop playing silly games and learn to build a readable text. It will help you much more in life than your game twitches.

Sincerelly

Paleork

Ever think that the person may still be learning English? No need to go full <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. You know what they were trying to say.
  • Options
    jacksoonjacksoon Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 332 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I have a DC and a GWF, now i whit both i need more time for gain AP( even if my Dc have +44% AP reg ) becuse they nerfed the Ap gain from my DC skill ( sun burst ). Whit the GWF is even worse :( i need almost the double of the atk for use a daily :/ i thinks the cryptic is working only for Tr :/
  • Options
    bunzagabunzaga Member Posts: 52
    edited August 2013
    I kill just about any other class 1v1 on my GWF, so I'm not sure what you guys are doing wrong...

The GWF has no ez mode button, you need to play smart, time your abilities, and expect what your enemies are going to do, before they do...

When fighting TR, don't use unstoppable until they doe their AOE ability blocker. When they turn black, don't use any encounters or dailies. After it wears off, unload everything you have on them. Get some good dark enchants for your utilities, because they ALWAYS run.

When fighting CW, don't use unstoppable until you see the little meteor appear above your head. They will push you back over and over, just keep pressing forward, without using unstoppable. When you do get close, hit them once or twice with your at will, they will always dodge away. Sprint to where they dodge, and then flourish or take down. Once they are able, they will dodge, again, so don't waste encounters until you are sure you can land them.

When fighting GF, they will knock you down, then charge you and knock you down again. After they knock you down, they usually run away for a few seconds while these abilities are on cool down. This is when you need to use your flourish or take down. By hitting them from the back, their block is useless. While they can block, only use your at wills. Once the block meter is worn down, unload everything you have. I will usually pop a health pot after the initial knock downs.

For DC, similar to CW. Use your at will abilities while they are dodging. When they drop an Astral Shield, use your Savage Advance to knock them out of the ring, then flourish/knock down and unload your encounters. Keep constant pressure, or else they will get full HP fast. If all else fails, saddle up and go to a different node. Nothing says you have to sit there like a fool, beating on a cleric. Save unstoppable for Hammer of Fate.

I'm not going to say how to beat other GWF :D
  • Options
    vortix44vortix44 Member Posts: 680 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    ggyu wrote: »
    I had notice that the (Unstoppable bug: That skill not work sometime untill switch maps)Still here since Beta and Why Nerf GWF ?? You pump up CW so much and TR and GF didn't get nerfed at all so TR and GFmost op weapon here and the new feywild patch bring up new fast duration of unstoppable now and with new bug temp.heath end =Unstoppable end ,So please someone tell me why hate GWF and nerf it while CW got pump and TR still op ??and btw Check zone or Looking for Group =GWF not asked for in any instance ,Cw , TR , GF and Dc needed more

The nice thing about Unstoppable being useless is that the Bug that prevents you from using Unstoppable does not need to be fixed any more.
    Win/win. For the devs of course.
    English is not my first language.
  • Options
    ggyuggyu Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    bunzaga wrote: »
    I kill just about any other class 1v1 on my GWF, so I'm not sure what you guys are doing wrong...

The GWF has no ez mode button, you need to play smart, time your abilities, and expect what your enemies are going to do, before they do...

When fighting TR, don't use unstoppable until they doe their AOE ability blocker. When they turn black, don't use any encounters or dailies. After it wears off, unload everything you have on them. Get some good dark enchants for your utilities, because they ALWAYS run.

When fighting CW, don't use unstoppable until you see the little meteor appear above your head. They will push you back over and over, just keep pressing forward, without using unstoppable. When you do get close, hit them once or twice with your at will, they will always dodge away. Sprint to where they dodge, and then flourish or take down. Once they are able, they will dodge, again, so don't waste encounters until you are sure you can land them.

When fighting GF, they will knock you down, then charge you and knock you down again. After they knock you down, they usually run away for a few seconds while these abilities are on cool down. This is when you need to use your flourish or take down. By hitting them from the back, their block is useless. While they can block, only use your at wills. Once the block meter is worn down, unload everything you have. I will usually pop a health pot after the initial knock downs.

For DC, similar to CW. Use your at will abilities while they are dodging. When they drop an Astral Shield, use your Savage Advance to knock them out of the ring, then flourish/knock down and unload your encounters. Keep constant pressure, or else they will get full HP fast. If all else fails, saddle up and go to a different node. Nothing says you have to sit there like a fool, beating on a cleric. Save unstoppable for Hammer of Fate.

I'm not going to say how to beat other GWF :D

We talk about pve ,GWF not asked for instance and dung
    And we know all what you saying,But what you will do when Unstoppable stop working because bug that make it stop work untill switch maps ?? you will just die ??
    KILLERDDDD
  • Options
    vortix44vortix44 Member Posts: 680 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    I kill just about any other class 1v1 on my GWF
    You must be playing another game.

fighting TR, don't use unstoppable until they doe their AOE ability blocker.
    Why sould they? Stealth, encounter, you're OS-ed.

fighting CW, . When you do get close
    Can never happen uless the guy is AFK. By the way all the PvP vids posted by gwfs are the same, they're walking in a fiels of AFK guys whose 90% HP has been removed by your teammates.

fighting GF, . After they knock you down, they usually run away
    Uh? They kill you, they don't run away. Unless they've not noticed the PvP word in PvP Domination.
    For DC, similar to CW.
    Yep. They're ranged, you're not. They heal themselves, you die.
    English is not my first language.
  • Options
    rojorrojor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 178 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Congratulations cryptic! you have fixed unstoppable ( even though i still need to re-log because it still bugs out for no apparent reason and wont activate anymore ). Now un-nerf/buff my class and stop making us useless in virtually every facet of the game,decide on the roll you want us to fill, clearly state it! and offer every gwf a respec and 1 time customization of their teir of gear (because why should we suffer and have to put extra game hours in when you cant seem to make up your minds about what you want from a class in a LIVE version of a game client).

I wish my post was more along the lines of "Wow guys! I really must say this latest update just blew me away, you really nailed the Great Weapon Fighters niche in the D&D Neverwinter universe! Not to mention the ability to solo play your way to epic gear will keep me entertained for months to come and the new 5 person epic dungeon (Malabog's Castle) was a challenge yet achievable also a must for every would be adventuring hero." But sadly this is reality and that would be lying.

p.s.
    I have given you lots of money , now let me enjoy my investment.
  • Options
    lobo0084lobo0084 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 663 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Weird. Loving GWF. Works great in PVP, though the higher-GS players still tend to walk over me no matter the class. Against other 10k's, I can generally hold off two of anybody and take down one or the other.

Rogues give me a hard time, especially if they stay out of range until they are ready to strike. If I can catch them with a knockdown, though, they are pretty much done with my encounter powers.

CW's are constantly harassing me with the choke and tornado's. Very rarely do they kill me outright, without it being an ice knife before I can proc unstoppable. CW's usually try to run, which means chasing them down alot. If I can get in close, they don't last long, maybe two or three encounter cycles.

Other GWF's are fairly light work, because generally they are working the same skills I am and it's a matter of who hit first or has the better crits. Most, like me, are really too stubborn to run.

GFs are two fold. Some, the ones who try to do DPS and tank at the same time, are cake. But the one's who actually specialize the class to be tanks and not dps, they are truly awful to fight. I need help from teammates usually to take them out, and meanwhile that's two of our team for one of theirs.

DC's are my hardest to kill. I've yet to win a 1v1 against them. Most times, I engage, realize they are a DC, and leave. They don't seem to be able to kill me if I'm not attacking them, so I just move on.

What am I? A player who plays pvp alot and is learning quickly. These are the observations of a newer player (didn't play beta, came into the game recently). I never learned to use unstoppable like the older crew did. I still feel like, especially in pve, I'm a bit too strong of a tank, considering the damage output I can do and the controlling and self-heals I have. Let's not even get into my gems, as I'm only running a lesser plaguefire with pvp attire, so you know that the right gems could really change my game.

I get a lot of assists. I get a good amount of kills. I absolutely face-roll about one-third of the people I run up against, and about one-fifth of the other players just trash me. I generally account this to gear, because it does make a difference, and wish that teams could be balanced on gear-score sometime.

All in all, though, in pvp and out, I see nothing majorly wrong with our class, besides the random unstoppable bug which I have experienced. Nor do I have a sense that we are 'hated' by anybody other than those who just got ran by a GWF.
    "Every adventurer has two things in common: they don't like dying, and they love getting paid. The rest is just semantics." Brecken, famed mercenary of Baldur's Gate

"D*mn wizards," said Morik the Rogue.

Learn what a GWF and GF really are: The History of Fighters
  • Options
    rojorrojor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 178 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Let me guess lobo0084 you have built a sentinel gwf ?

My complaint's are centered around the classes compatibility with the game as a whole not just one game mode but how viable the class is in the various game modes (not just pvp):

Classes in Neverwinter

Cleric: Support Able to heal themselves through virtually any encounter with somewhat flimsy armor but has damage mitigation and a shift dodge to compensate, primarily a support role with massive AoE healing and damage mitigation abilities, mediocre single target heals and limited dps capacity and amenable cc. At home in any game mode.

Trickster Rogue: Dps / CC Primarily a high single target damage dealer with medium cc and limited aoe damage, flimsy armor which dodge attributes and evade abilities compensate for.At home in any game mode.

Guardian Fighter: Tank / Dps/ CC
    The whole tank yet slightly better then the tank, has high defensive capabilities gained from stats, a guard meter and formidable feats,with medium single and aoe dps abilities , also has medium to high cc capability. At home in any game mode

Control Wizard: Dps / Cc
    The god of Concussive Casting is unparalleled in it's crowd control capabilities, with medium to high singe target and aoe damage abilities, has flimsy armor but compensates with dodge and a self cast damage mitigation sheild.At home in any game mode

Great Weapon Fighter: Sort of dps and sort of tank with kind of crowd control but not really sure
    Has numerous aoe dps abilities which look pretty but don't do all that much damage, armor is flimsy with the unstoppable skill(bugged for months now) to compensate yet looses its dps role if it specs into survivability and has negligible taunt abilities, cc is only single target whilst it has some slow they are not much of an impediment to any class or monster. Shift move ability is pointless as if it is not release regardless of the characters position you are rubber-banded back to your original spot so it's absolutely pointless unless you like chasing after people who don't want to hit you. Not really at home in any game mode short of a cookie cutter sentinel build in the pvp game mode but all people have to do is kite kill you to negate your effectiveness.
  • Options
    mbllanes199mbllanes199 Member, Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 429
    edited August 2013
    lobo0084 wrote: »
    Weird. Loving GWF. Works great in PVP, though the higher-GS players still tend to walk over me no matter the class. Against other 10k's, I can generally hold off two of anybody and take down one or the other.

Rogues give me a hard time, especially if they stay out of range until they are ready to strike. If I can catch them with a knockdown, though, they are pretty much done with my encounter powers.

CW's are constantly harassing me with the choke and tornado's. Very rarely do they kill me outright, without it being an ice knife before I can proc unstoppable. CW's usually try to run, which means chasing them down alot. If I can get in close, they don't last long, maybe two or three encounter cycles.

Other GWF's are fairly light work, because generally they are working the same skills I am and it's a matter of who hit first or has the better crits. Most, like me, are really too stubborn to run.

GFs are two fold. Some, the ones who try to do DPS and tank at the same time, are cake. But the one's who actually specialize the class to be tanks and not dps, they are truly awful to fight. I need help from teammates usually to take them out, and meanwhile that's two of our team for one of theirs.

DC's are my hardest to kill. I've yet to win a 1v1 against them. Most times, I engage, realize they are a DC, and leave. They don't seem to be able to kill me if I'm not attacking them, so I just move on.

What am I? A player who plays pvp alot and is learning quickly. These are the observations of a newer player (didn't play beta, came into the game recently). I never learned to use unstoppable like the older crew did. I still feel like, especially in pve, I'm a bit too strong of a tank, considering the damage output I can do and the controlling and self-heals I have. Let's not even get into my gems, as I'm only running a lesser plaguefire with pvp attire, so you know that the right gems could really change my game.

I get a lot of assists. I get a good amount of kills. I absolutely face-roll about one-third of the people I run up against, and about one-fifth of the other players just trash me. I generally account this to gear, because it does make a difference, and wish that teams could be balanced on gear-score sometime.

All in all, though, in pvp and out, I see nothing majorly wrong with our class, besides the random unstoppable bug which I have experienced. Nor do I have a sense that we are 'hated' by anybody other than those who just got ran by a GWF.

You are one of those Sent Gwf, LOL, i have you on my previous post.

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?465761-Are-cryptic-really-hearing-the-feedback-about-the-gwf-s-crazy-nerf&p=5815051&viewfull=1#post5815051
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Actually, I'm full destroyer/crit specced. Not sure how you are 'supposed' to play a GWF, but I generally make sure to enter the battlefield swinging by using map points to either wait the corner or come down on the enemy. I lead by knockdown, usually, and follow with either restoring strike and indomitable battle strike, or simply indomitable if I'm chasing runners.

If they'll sit and fight, and I can make sure that at least part of their team is occupied elsewhere (usually by watching who on my team is dying at center, or if they are capping their home flag, etc), I'll unload the next round, take the damage, unstoppable high, hit the other encounters and a knockdown if they haven't hit their own evades, and finish them off with a final unstoppable at 10% health.

This is why my 1v2's usually end with me dying after my first kill unless I've somehow racked a daily, because while my second unstoppable brings me back to 50% health, the second guy can usually finish me before a third hits. If I've got a daily ready, they can't. If one of them decides to run, they usually can get away.

But I don't play for Sentinel. And if they have thunderhead, I'm screwed because everything I've got is crits. I'll sit still most times and at will a target between, meaning my chance of crits are a lot higher, and 2-5k at wills are still doing their job. I play my whole range, and don't need to stand on someone's toes to hit them (especially with restoring strike, which has far longer range than regular at-wills).

Then again, these are my experiences. My point I was making in the prior post, is that I don't have any reliance on old mechanics to cloud my tactics and perception. I don't know how powerful we once were. I just know that despite what I read here, I'm not having any issues at all outside of my own gear choices.
    "Every adventurer has two things in common: they don't like dying, and they love getting paid. The rest is just semantics." Brecken, famed mercenary of Baldur's Gate

• Options
    colonelwingcolonelwing Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Actually, I'm full destroyer/crit specced. Not sure how you are 'supposed' to play a GWF, but I generally make sure to enter the battlefield swinging by using map points to either wait the corner or come down on the enemy. I lead by knockdown, usually, and follow with either restoring strike and indomitable battle strike, or simply indomitable if I'm chasing runners.

If they'll sit and fight, and I can make sure that at least part of their team is occupied elsewhere (usually by watching who on my team is dying at center, or if they are capping their home flag, etc), I'll unload the next round, take the damage, unstoppable high, hit the other encounters and a knockdown if they haven't hit their own evades, and finish them off with a final unstoppable at 10% health.

This is why my 1v2's usually end with me dying after my first kill unless I've somehow racked a daily, because while my second unstoppable brings me back to 50% health, the second guy can usually finish me before a third hits. If I've got a daily ready, they can't. If one of them decides to run, they usually can get away.

But I don't play for Sentinel. And if they have thunderhead, I'm screwed because everything I've got is crits. I'll sit still most times and at will a target between, meaning my chance of crits are a lot higher, and 2-5k at wills are still doing their job. I play my whole range, and don't need to stand on someone's toes to hit them (especially with restoring strike, which has far longer range than regular at-wills).

Then again, these are my experiences. My point I was making in the prior post, is that I don't have any reliance on old mechanics to cloud my tactics and perception. I don't know how powerful we once were. I just know that despite what I read here, I'm not having any issues at all outside of my own gear choices.

Rs is an encounter. And you might want to scrap it for flourish. x.X

• Options
    tarmalentarmalen Member Posts: 1,020 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013

Here is the disconnect. A lot of folks don't care about PVP. What we care about is PVE.

We went from competitive to the fat kid nobody wants on the team.

My guild will still take me but when I see the lack of DPS after the patch I can only sigh.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    As an aside to rojor:

I agree, actually. And I think it's by intent.

Clerics heal. A DPS spec'd cleric will often fail, but a heal/defense spec is amazing. They are full-fledged life extension and team support, and I think they are highly underrated by their playerbase because they want to do the damage of a CW.

Guardian Fighters who dps spec are laughable most times, but one with a full tank spec has amazing crowd control and defensive abilities. I think that most of the complaints I've read on them are really centered on why GWF can tank as good as a DPS spec'd GF, but do so much more damage. If they'd roll with their specialization, on the other hand, they are beast.

Control Wizards always seem to gripe about the alpha, but if you have one on your team who is doing team support by disrupting the enemies ability to fight (through application of damage at range and map control points, as well as crowd control abilities) they really shine.

Trickster Rogues are not to be laughed at, except when they are dumb enough to go toe to toe with anyone. But the worst combo I've seen on the battlefield so far is a CW/TR duo who chocked and stunned me, let me rush the CW, and the rogue burst on me for full damage. That was the closest I've been to being one shot, and it works.

But Great Weapon Fighters? We're not role specific. We have the ability to do two of anything fairly well. I don't spec defense alot. I spec crit, armor pen (despite being told not to do both), and movement. My talents are focused on crit and unstoppable. My pvp armor Valiant set supports HP and unstoppable. And my abilities have a small bit of crowd control, knockdown, but focus on high DPS.

There are other options for us, though. We can pick any two focuses, and while we cannot do them NEARLY as well as their specialized class. We cant alpha like a rogue, but we can hit hard. We can't *normally* tank like a GF, but we can hold our own. We can't control like a wizard, but we can keep one target pinned. And we can debuff our enemies a little and heal ourselves, but nothing like a cleric.

We're the jack of all trades class, master of none. Making us unpredictable. Giving us the wild-card role on every battlefield. I think that's our job.

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Rs is an encounter. And you might want to scrap it for flourish. x.X

I meant that as a whole, your at-wills work at a certain range ... say, 10ft. But you can hit an escaping target with restoring strike, an encounter power, at about 15-20ft. Flourish is the other one I've seen with that kind of range.

I have tried flourish, and I've had it used against me respectably. I've found, though, the animation is too long for my tastes and leaves me vulnerable and unable to move. I move alot around a target, making them track me as well as press buttons (some people just cant do that well), AND trying to keep an eye on the battlefield.

That, and I never seem to get the stun to proc. Ever.

• Options
    edited August 2013
    I meant that as a whole, your at-wills work at a certain range ... say, 10ft. But you can hit an escaping target with restoring strike, an encounter power, at about 15-20ft. Flourish is the other one I've seen with that kind of range.

I have tried flourish, and I've had it used against me respectably. I've found, though, the animation is too long for my tastes and leaves me vulnerable and unable to move. I move alot around a target, making them track me as well as press buttons (some people just cant do that well), AND trying to keep an eye on the battlefield.

That, and I never seem to get the stun to proc. Ever.

The stun starts at the beginning of Flourish. You can feat an extra second stun after flourish ends. In the Instigator tree.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    As an aside to rojor:

Clerics heal. A DPS spec'd cleric will often fail, but a heal/defense spec is amazing. They are full-fledged life extension and team support, and I think they are highly underrated by their playerbase because they want to do the damage of a CW.

Guardian Fighters who dps spec are laughable most times, but one with a full tank spec has amazing crowd control and defensive abilities. I think that most of the complaints I've read on them are really centered on why GWF can tank as good as a DPS spec'd GF, but do so much more damage. If they'd roll with their specialization, on the other hand, they are beast.

Control Wizards always seem to gripe about the alpha, but if you have one on your team who is doing team support by disrupting the enemies ability to fight (through application of damage at range and map control points, as well as crowd control abilities) they really shine.

Trickster Rogues are not to be laughed at, except when they are dumb enough to go toe to toe with anyone. But the worst combo I've seen on the battlefield so far is a CW/TR duo who chocked and stunned me, let me rush the CW, and the rogue burst on me for full damage. That was the closest I've been to being one shot, and it works.

But Great Weapon Fighters? We're not role specific. We have the ability to do two of anything fairly well. I don't spec defense alot. I spec crit, armor pen (despite being told not to do both), and movement. My talents are focused on crit and unstoppable. My pvp armor Valiant set supports HP and unstoppable. And my abilities have a small bit of crowd control, knockdown, but focus on high DPS.

There are other options for us, though. We can pick any two focuses, and while we cannot do them NEARLY as well as their specialized class. We cant alpha like a rogue, but we can hit hard. We can't *normally* tank like a GF, but we can hold our own. We can't control like a wizard, but we can keep one target pinned. And we can debuff our enemies a little and heal ourselves, but nothing like a cleric.

We're the jack of all trades class, master of none. Making us unpredictable. Giving us the wild-card role on every battlefield. I think that's our job.

First,let me apologize for before for assuming you were a sentinel specced GWF ( sorry ), now as for your insistence on the classes viability , you spec sounds remarkably similar if not identical to my own, my gs is however 12.7ish k ( it could be higher but it's that low because of diminishing stat returns and our verging on pathetic dps feat stat boosts ). The class has a huge weapon yet it plays like a tank, the class has a huge weapon yet it does less damage then a GF ( this is when i compare my own performance with pseudo dps specced GF with a about 1.5k less gs and bear in mind imk crit/dps specced to all get out ) the class wears mail yet we are supped to play them like a tank and accept loosing to a single target dps class (trickster Rogue) on the damage meter with a dungeon or skirmish filled with far too many adds and in groupings of 3-4+ WE ARE SUPPOSED TO BE THE AOE DPS ROLE BECAUSE THERE IS NO OTHER VALID REASON FOR US TO BE CARRYING A HUGE SWORD! Before you go on some tangent again about how we are neither a specific role nor fill a specific neiche in the game unless we spec and suffer the loss of any other role for it THE ROLLS WE CAN SPEC FOR WE CANNOT EVEN PROPERLY FULFILL. For example:

AOE DPS-

You give up virtually all survivability to gain substandard dps in dungeons which are apparently a target rich environment and loose on the damage score to a 3k less gs rogue because THAT'S THE WAY THE GAME WAS INTENTIONALLY DESIGNED?

TANK / OFF-TANK-

Forgo your rightful role as a sword swinging head cracking barbarian and become a more sedate and portly fellow who hits like hes wielding a sunday morning paper yet can survive the onslaught of most enemy's if he only had some decent taunts/damage and crowd control to make them focus him. . .

SINGLE TARGET DPS-

Like the aoe dps spec this falls into the same useless category, sure you can stun and heal off your lonesome target yet you don't do enough damage, have enough speed or skill momentum to finish the job if the chap has an equal gearscore or if you forgot to pack enough potions to take down that bad-*** elite npc who is apparently immune to your stuns anyway.

Let me finish by pointing out that your playing the class in a new and interesting way, that is to say like a rogue! and here's why:

You HIDE, wait for a target of opportunity and hope your cc's and temp health can hold out until you try to burst kill them, now granted you have a + to max health mail armor set and a GIGANTIC TWO HANDED WEAPON which is an interesting twist on the traditional daggers, leather and stealth combination the class seems to favor with your new take on it i'm sure you could fit right in hiding in the shadows with your ridiculously large weapon holding your breath and trying not to <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> in case somebody sees,hears or smells you before the opportune moment.

:(Dear dev's for the millionth time GIVE US A ROLE OR ROLE'S THAT ARE CLEARLY DEFINED, DESIGN THE SKILL/PASSIVE TREE AROUND SAID DEFINITIONS.:(
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    If you ever read the Conan comics, your jokes on stealthy barbarians are even more entertaining. Because that's what Conan did. Alot. Sneak around.

No, I do not play GWF like a tank outside of PvE. I realize that I have a 'burst tank', if you will, where for short periods of time I can take large amounts of damage. I use that burst of tankiness to stay up in a fight or close with a target like a CW. But giving my opponent the chance to choose the fight isn't the best for me.

I do not expect to take hits. Our class is far too mobile to sit still and be hit. Our sprint allows us far more reach and flex than any movement ability for any of the other classes. We can use it to close range quickly, or exit. But like our tank, our mobility is temporary and largely dependent on how we want to spec.

So, while I pvp, I play like a barbarian. Not a knight in heavy armor. Fast, mobile, capable of amazing amounts of damage (when I crit), longer than usual melee range, and a bit of a berserker fury that keeps me up longer than I should. I know I'm a jack of all trades, and it suits me. A little tank, a little crowd control, a little speed and mobility, short to mid range melee, self heals and damage resistance, and decent burst dps. This is of course with only MY build. I do not beat any other specialized class in their specialized jobs, but I can do it all.

It works for me. But it is NOT specialized or clearly defined, as you are asking for. I hope that if they do decide to more specifically define GWF, they do so along another paragon path and power choice. Maybe a platemail-wearing two-handed tank and aoe beast. Take away some of their mobility and berserker rage, keep the crowd control and maybe offer some more buffs.

Theres a lot that can be added, but as I reiterate in every game, it's always better to add to a game than nerf it away and remove other playstyles. Of course I'm selfish over my own style.

• Options
    kaerthuskaerthus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Ive been saying something along these lines. Just scrap the whole idea of the GWF and rename him barbarian and redefine our class. Currently we are great at nothing, ok at some.

Lead Producer Andy Velasquez stated this in a recent interview

"Our classes are incredibly important to us and we want to make sure that when they come out they are AWESOME. So, we are taking the time we feel we need to in order to really make them feel unique, powerful, true to their D&D roots and most importantly FUN."

Is GWF Unique? Id say so

Powerful? No (unless you count Sents /w GTENs solely in pvp, which if u do ur saying this is a P2W game and pvp is all that matters)

True to their D&D roots? LOL, this is probably the least true class in that aspect and is not even remotely close. It only has a few skills with Fightery names but it DOES NOT play as a D&D 4e GWFighter, neither does a GF for that matter. Fighters severely punish monsters that don't attack you, as in an extra attack each time it happens, and marks are applied automatically, no need for specific skills.

FUN? NO, unless you like soloing or doing crafting or PVP as a $200 Tene/Sent. For PVE grouping (the main purpose of a DnD MMO) this is a big FAT NO.

Cryptic botched the Fighter classes badly, the GWF in particular. This is not about being the OP class, its about having defined and useful roles.
  • Options
    skalt112skalt112 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    As an aside to rojor:

Jack of all trades classes tend to get left out of dungeons in a 5 man group. Putting it simply "why bring a GWF when you can bring another class that performs the role better". Jack of all trades is not a role. It's a reason to only give GWF's the "mercy" slot in a group.

what people in this thread are asking for is a defined role that no other class can do better so we don't have to rely on the goodwill of our guilds in order to do the hardest content.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    skalt112 wrote: »
    Jack of all trades classes tend to get left out of dungeons in a 5 man group. Putting it simply "why bring a GWF when you can bring another class that performs the role better". Jack of all trades is not a role. It's a reason to only give GWF's the "mercy" slot in a group.

what people in this thread are asking for is a defined role that no other class can do better so we don't have to rely on the goodwill of our guilds in order to do the hardest content.

I had a feeling that the reason we cannot get into higher-tier groups right now is that, because of all the outcry in zone chat and on the forums about how much we were nerfed, everyone else thinks we're completely useless.

Meanwhile, we took two GWF's and ran Gauntlegrym duo-solo the other night. As our guild knows, GWF's are far from useless.

• Options
    thunderquntthunderqunt Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    PVP, not that difficult. You won't top the board, but you can be instrumental in a victory if you play correctly.
  • Options
    mbllanes199mbllanes199 Member, Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 429
    edited August 2013
    I had a feeling that the reason we cannot get into higher-tier groups right now is that, because of all the outcry in zone chat and on the forums about how much we were nerfed, everyone else thinks we're completely useless.

Meanwhile, we took two GWF's and ran Gauntlegrym duo-solo the other night. As our guild knows, GWF's are far from useless.

Low level T1/T2 GG Dungeon ....... Even my grandmother in level 60 T1 Gear can finish that map.

next please...
  • Options
    skalt112skalt112 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited August 2013

My guild doesn't think I am useless. What they do think is given even gear scores and ability that it is better to bring another class in the mercy slot. Pugs are even more inclined to leave us out. It's just the way it is.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    skalt112 wrote: »
    My guild doesn't think I am useless. What they do think is given even gear scores and ability that it is better to bring another class in the mercy slot. Pugs are even more inclined to leave us out. It's just the way it is.

Agreed.

Why bring a GWF for DPS when a TR can do it better.
    Why bring a GWF to tank when the GF does it better.
    Why bring a GWF to control when a CW does it better.
    Why bring a GWF to heal...wait...wrong role.
    Low level T1/T2 GG Dungeon ....... Even my grandmother in level 60 T1 Gear can finish that map.

next please...

My guild would gladly accept me in any run, including CN. That is not the point of complaint. When they removed AP gain per target from the GWF they effectively put us into the "jack of all trades" slot. I speced into a AOE DPS monster which is a vital role. Even then the TR's I run with would make me work for the #1 spot until the final boss. Working as intended. Now they (remember single target class) double my damage 10 minutes into a run. A run where there is 5-10 mob fights every 30 feet. So now a single target class can smash my dps in an AOE fight?
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    As pointed out by a guild mate yesterday, many CW's already see themselves as the king of AOE. They seem to view the movement we see here on the forums to give GWF a more specialized and powerful AOE role as 'stepping on their turf'. I'm not sold on it myself.

From my view, CW should be primarily control oriented and top of it's game in that role. Their secondary advantage would be range (for control, defense, and dps), with DPS being something they are solid at, but not the kings of. This seems logical to me.

Allowing GWF to move a few key single-target powers into multi-target (think restoring strike as cone sweep instead of single target, etc), and letting us do more damage than any other party when we're hitting multiple targets? That seems like a solid game changer. AOE would be our strongest point, followed by a burst tank and mobility. None of this 'tanking as good as or better than a GF', but also not doing mad single-point damage to rival a TR, or area control which affects the CW's.

I would support that. I don't think our tank and mobility should suffer more, but I do feel that it's possible we have too much CC at our disposal, and single point alpha strike at times, to warrant just buffing the whole class outright. It would feel fair to me if they took some of our 'trades' away before giving us more awesomeness.