test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Riding animations

2»

Comments

• belladoriabelladoria Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    ashlottte wrote: "Now, look. I KNOW you just read the thread that's already been set up saying the exact same thing only in about 2000 less words...

Was this really necessary?"

Actually, I never saw that thread, though I did a search for other threads on animations. It appears I've been moved into it anyway, and I'm fine with that. And yes, I wrote a long post. I'm still learning the ropes here. If shorter is better, I'll do my best.

Someone commented that the animations look weird because we don't have reins. I think, honestly, they'd look just as weird with reins. Maybe weirder. :)

Also, I also noticed that my halfling and dwarf look more or less the same as they used to. It's the human, wood elf, tiefling, and half-orc that look bad. I don't think it's scaling, though. The animations themselves are different. Your hands are closer together on the halfling and dwarf, and flung to the far corners on the others.
  • axer128axer128 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Yea looks pretty terrible on both my human and dwarf on a bear.

Looks ok on a horse, but they really should of examined all mount styles, not just horses. Feels like a lazy tweak where they never even looked at the bears or other mounts.

EG: Hands right up in the air a million miles away from the bear? (on a horse they look much closer)
    -Group tools in dire need of improvement, please read and reply to improve our community.
    -Epic Dread Vault Crushed.
    Characters (Dragon): Axer (60 Guardian, Leader of Crush It!), Controller (60 Wizard), Warlocker (60 Warlock)
  • abell39abell39 Member Posts: 1,175 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I wonder if their test-character is a male dwarf TR and that's why they didn't notice clipping skirts or horse position wackiness. ;)
    Kerensa Loreweaver, level 60 DC | Rilla Turtledove, level 60 CW | Calvin Meriwether, level 60 TR
    Kaylee Krankenwagen, level 60 GF | Tavandruil Wayfinder, level 49 GWF | Aldith Langley, level 51 HR
  • mortmagemortmage Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    +1 for the OP. I absolutely hate the arm flapping, a$$ slapping new animation. I've got several +3 mounts and the only one that doesn't have this hillbilly animation is the Spider.
  • iamatlaspwiamatlaspw Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Has the riding animation changed in the last month? I don't remember looking like I thought
    my poor horse was a chopper.

wkuw.jpg
  • tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    axer128 wrote: »
    Yea looks pretty terrible on both my human and dwarf on a bear.

Looks ok on a horse, but they really should of examined all mount styles, not just horses. Feels like a lazy tweak where they never even looked at the bears or other mounts.

EG: Hands right up in the air a million miles away from the bear? (on a horse they look much closer)
    From what I saw in zones some characters on bears appear to be floating above their mount as well.
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited August 2013
    Chopper/handlebars is the way I have described it. And no...I don't like it and think it looks extremely unnatural. Arms should be close to the body, not up high and parallel to the ground.

I love the new stopping animation but the riding animation needs major work...and tbh if you're going to have the hand placement please put in some fake reigns as it looks silly to hold invisible strings be it bow strings or horse reigns.

But seeing that pic gives me another thing to compare it to...
    MNBJB.jpg
    Aaaah the driver of this horse is a madman! Spread Eagle Scared Garfield!
  • joebaejoebae Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 40
    edited August 2013
    Well, somehow it suits the textures on them horses.
    Even that mmo everyone always compares with has horses that look better, and the mounted character doesn't look like riding a motorbike either.
    Sorry to diss the artwork, but horses in NW generally look more like those you use for harvesting than for riding.
  • abell39abell39 Member Posts: 1,175 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    joebae wrote: »
    Even that mmo everyone always compares with has horses that look better, and the mounted character doesn't look like riding a motorbike either.
    Sorry to diss the artwork, but horses in NW generally look more like those you use for harvesting than for riding.

The majority of people ride some form of the sabino horse (it comes in multiple colors from the Zen shop or dark brown from 5-gold mount vendor), which does look like more of a workhorse than a riding horse. The brindle, Waterdeep, palomino, and appaloosa horses all look more like horses you'd ride, but for some reason I mostly see just sabino horses and Zen-shop mounts.
    Kerensa Loreweaver, level 60 DC | Rilla Turtledove, level 60 CW | Calvin Meriwether, level 60 TR
    Kaylee Krankenwagen, level 60 GF | Tavandruil Wayfinder, level 49 GWF | Aldith Langley, level 51 HR
  • nameexpirednameexpired Member Posts: 1,282 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    [...] when running at full speed my characters hands are...just.... well, out way to far, I mean it's like they're holding onto motorcycle handle bars [...]
    Does anyone else think/feel the same?

+1 here! Exactly my thoughts!
    Imaginary Friends are the best friends you can have!
  • sortofsortof Member Posts: 196 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    endocin wrote: »
    They designer has never ridden? Maybe we are getting motorcycles later?

The animation is not bad, the problem is that the leash is not represented. When you spur your horse, that it's natural that you release the leash in the fashion it is shown in the animation. By release I mean, you still hold it, but don't pull on it. Hence, there should be the leash connecting the horse's mouth and your hands, but it's missing for some reason.
    Whatever we deny or embrace, we belong togheter./ Pat Benatar
  • sortofsortof Member Posts: 196 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    veramis wrote: »
    I am against animal cruelty. My character whips the howler. Also my cat yawns like a howler. Please fix.

Whipping an animal is not offensive, it's a traditional way of communication with work animals. Most animal hides are much tougher than human skin. Whipping does not really hurt them.
    Whatever we deny or embrace, we belong togheter./ Pat Benatar
  • ruffianaruffiana Member, NW_CrypticDev, Neverwinter Beta Users, Cryptic Developers, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Normally a tweak like this wouldn't bother me so much, and I love the new movement that has been implemented for when you pull on the reigns to stop the horse as you stop moving, but when running at full speed my characters hands are...just.... well, out way to far, I mean it's like they're holding onto motorcycle handle bars, just looks really strange and I dislike it, which sucks because I love riding around my on Nightmare.

Does anyone else think/feel the same?

Hey there Equifiles.

The hands were moved further apart because we just assumed that all of the horses that players were going to be riding now were of the 'on fire' variety, and we didn't want anyone to suffer debilitating burns. :D

We've recently finished up a pass on rider animations and this particular one was made to be used with the new, completely awesome Unicorn mounts with their extra-fluffy and completely awesome manes. But since this looks so odd with normal (non-completely awesome) horses, we'll set it up so they have a more approps riding animation.

It'll be like "Rider Classic", and the current animation will become "New Rider". Only it's being made by animators, so it'll undoubtedly have an odd mispelling.
    abell39 wrote: »
    The horses don't have reins. That's why the handlebar position of the arms looks weird.

Not yet...

But as soon as we can find a reliable source for leather straps, it's happening!
    iamatlaspw wrote: »
    wkuw.jpg

I may have to see what we can do to make this happen.
  • gardhullgardhull Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    ruffiana wrote: »
    Hey there Equifiles.

The hands were moved further apart because we just assumed that all of the horses that players were going to be riding now were of the 'on fire' variety, and we didn't want anyone to suffer debilitating burns. :D

I KNEW it! The lockbox bug was an inside job.
    edited August 2013
    Since there's no way to send a request like this directly to PW (that I know of), I'll make the request here

Please revert the rider animation back to what it was. The arm flapping thing looks really silly. I paid good money for my White Tiger and Heavy Howler mounts. Now I'm embarrassed to ride them. Fix it please!
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited August 2013
    I may have to see what we can do to make this happen.

Haha, you have given me a good laugh with that! My Pink Armored Dwarven Guardian Fighter is especially interested in the pink graffiti to match his sparkling unicorn.
    Not yet...

But as soon as we can find a reliable source for leather straps, it's happening!

Please find it fast! Half the battle is that imaginary straps drive people like myself crazy.

I can't see the more immediate fix and the hopefully not sarcastic addition of reigns! Please, please, please add reigns. :)
    edited August 2013
    mortmage wrote: »
    Since there's no way to send a request like this directly to PW (that I know of), I'll make the request here

Please revert the rider animation back to what it was. The arm flapping thing looks really silly. I paid good money for my White Tiger and Heavy Howler mounts. Now I'm embarrassed to ride them. Fix it please!

Come to think of it - with the amount of money I've spent on this game (I'm pretty sure I would be in the 5-nines percentile), I should have a direct line to Robert Hong Xiao and Jack Emmert. .
  • lottiemclottiemc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    joebae wrote: »

What you're not taking into account is that you shouldn't be thinking in terms of what you and I think of when it comes to riding horses.
    Many of the horses in NW are actually destriers, which is to say (as someone earlier in the thread touched upon), horses that were bred (and trained) to carry armed and armored warriors. Those warriors with all that armor were HEAVY. They needed a mount that could stand up to all that weight. These were warhorses not riding horses ... big difference.

As far as the moving animation ... horrible, just horrible. It looks silly and isn't the least bit realistic. Furthermore (as another poster also touched upon), you would have no control in such a position. And it's ugly. I wince every time I have to watch my character using it.

Lottie
  • fennelfennel Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    On the unicorn, I feel like a faceplanted toddler on a runaway mule. I generally like the animations in NW very much, but clutching at my horse in an ungainly fashion is something I hope gets changed pretty fast. Just...no.
  • ocampusmaximusocampusmaximus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 200 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Aren't any real horse riders in the design team? Because you don't hold the reins out like that during canter or gallop.