test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Does it look less sparkly to anyone else?

suzz56suzz56 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
edited August 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I logged in my little 37 level control wizard to invoke and maybe it is just the area but it looks very muted and dull. The enclave doesn't look at dull but I swear it doesn't look as sparkly, I just loved how sparkly everything was . I know when I was on the character log in page I immediately noticed my guardians armor looked dull even there.

Anyone else notice this?
Post edited by suzz56 on

Comments

• minxybumminxybum Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    apparently the patch made alot of peoples graphic settings to minimum... check there and restore to what you had previously
  • baronvonboombaronvonboom Member Posts: 536 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The graphics have defo been tweaked somehow..

It doesn't look right at all, water reflections are different, armour sheen.. general lower quality despite everything my end being the same..
  • suzz56suzz56 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    minxybum wrote: »
    apparently the patch made alot of peoples graphic settings to minimum... check there and restore to what you had previously

I wish it was that easy but no mine are set the same way they were before.
  • sominatorsominator Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Hey all,

Thanks for letting us know about this - can you please provide us with more info, including your video card, graphics settings, and maybe a screenshot or two?

Cheers!
    Proud member of Team Fencebane, official guild of the unofficial Neverwinter Adventure Hour!
  • abell39abell39 Member Posts: 1,175 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I noticed the graphics stuff immediately after logging in and posted a thread about it here: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?457201-PSA-for-everyone-whose-graphics-quality-declined-after-patch

At first I thought it was a bug, because when I went to video settings under Options, the two basic performance vs. quality sliders were maxed out the way I had left them pre-patch. I whined about it in Protector's Enclave and heard conflicting opinions (some said graphics looked better, some said graphics looked worse). That's when I noticed that the environment was still pretty -- it was only the character models that looked pixelly, less detailed, and dull (in terms of color palette). Everything else looked fine.

I opened up the advanced video settings and found that the Shader Detail was set to minimum, even though the basic graphics quality sliders were maxed out. I kicked the shader detail back up as high as it would go, and everything looks great again. I might poke around with other settings to see if I can make it look even better, but that's all I messed with for now.

tl;dr: It seems like the patch has made it so that the non-advanced basic graphics sliders don't correspond to graphics quality the way they used to, because even with them maxed out, the Shader Detail is set to min by default after the patch and that makes character models look less detailed.

Edit note: I'd give you my system specs and screenshots, but I feel like that would be redundant since I figured out how to fix it on my end already....
    Kerensa Loreweaver, level 60 DC | Rilla Turtledove, level 60 CW | Calvin Meriwether, level 60 TR
    Kaylee Krankenwagen, level 60 GF | Tavandruil Wayfinder, level 49 GWF | Aldith Langley, level 51 HR
  • silvernitesilvernite Member Posts: 107 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    It seems like Cryptic would at least try to get a patch right the first time.

I'm getting tired of the constant issues with this game and the constant gold sellers that Cryptic does nothing about. I'd rather spend $13 per month for a subscription than spend $20 or more a month just a chance at something.
  • wjwellerwjweller Member Posts: 91
    edited August 2013
    silvernite wrote: »
    It seems like Cryptic would at least try to get a patch right the first time.

I'm getting tired of the constant issues with this game and the constant gold sellers that Cryptic does nothing about. I'd rather spend $13 per month for a subscription than spend $20 or more a month just a chance at something

Try to get a patch right the first time? Right, cause that happens so often with any company. At least they got the game right the first time, unlike the aforementioned one. Ahem.
    edited August 2013
    Anyway to stay on topic. Also noticed this. Shaders were set to Min even though graphics were maxed. I set Graphics card to Auto, and put shaders back on Very High. Looks normal again although I don't remember the Graphics card option being there to begin with. Is Auto default?
  • redtree12redtree12 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Yes, today I noticed the game is running slower, just generally lower fps. Also it didn't look as good. Also it no longer recognizes my speakers or hardware sound.

Yesterday I was marveling at how well the game ran, how good it looked, and how good it sounded. Will try fooling around with some settings, but something is definitely different from when I logged out last night.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    abell39 wrote:
    I opened up the advanced video settings and found that the Shader Detail was set to minimum, even though the basic graphics quality sliders were maxed out. I kicked the shader detail back up as high as it would go, and everything looks great again. I might poke around with other settings to see if I can make it look even better, but that's all I messed with for now.

Mine was set to minimum as well. All better now. Thanks!
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • vrtesseractvrtesseract Member Posts: 631 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I think what happened is the video got set to "Recommended" I was playing much lower than my recommended due to "events" and Skirmishes causing lag, and today I log in and everything looked pristine and beautiful. so if you had been running a bit higher than recommended it probably auto set you to minimum.
  • abell39abell39 Member Posts: 1,175 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    That's weird.... Only reason I question that is because "recommended" is max settings for my system. It definitely reset something, though, and that explains why some people in Zonechat told me their graphics looked better after the patch. You may be right. I'm not sure I understand it but I'm happy I got it to look right again. :confused:
    Kerensa Loreweaver, level 60 DC | Rilla Turtledove, level 60 CW | Calvin Meriwether, level 60 TR
    Kaylee Krankenwagen, level 60 GF | Tavandruil Wayfinder, level 49 GWF | Aldith Langley, level 51 HR
  • klixanklixan Member Posts: 447 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    I've just logged in for the first time since the update and there is a noticeable change. I'm not sure what's happened, but my color/contrast settings are definitely wonky (my lovely blonde hair now looks grey :(). I think the brightness settings have changed as well.

I'm a little bit hesitant to start playing with the settings, just in case Cryptic issues a patch to re-set things back to the way they were. Also, I've completely forgotten what my original settings were, so it would all be trial and error again.
  • fallenangel1911fallenangel1911 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    klixan wrote: »
    I've just logged in for the first time since the update and there is a noticeable change. I'm not sure what's happened, but my color/contrast settings are definitely wonky (my lovely blonde hair now looks grey :(). I think the brightness settings have changed as well.

I'm a little bit hesitant to start playing with the settings, just in case Cryptic issues a patch to re-set things back to the way they were. Also, I've completely forgotten what my original settings were, so it would all be trial and error again.

This is all you need to do:
    abell39 wrote: »
    I opened up the advanced video settings and found that the Shader Detail was set to minimum, even though the basic graphics quality sliders were maxed out. I kicked the shader detail back up as high as it would go, and everything looks great again.

Shaders set to min will make your hair look dirty and wiry, your armor drab and colorless etc.
    Set them to max(or however high your machine can handle) and you'll be back to your old look.
    edited August 2013
    I think what happened is the video got set to "Recommended" I was playing much lower than my recommended due to "events" and Skirmishes causing lag, and today I log in and everything looked pristine and beautiful. so if you had been running a bit higher than recommended it probably auto set you to minimum.

My settings were set to recommended when I first started playing, and that set all my drop downs to the highest settings. It's definitely just the shader drop down that got lowered for me. I set it to Very High now, since I don't notice a difference between that and Max, and it looks like it used to.

One thing I don't remember is the ability to select your DX version, at the very top where it says, "Video card". Can anyone confirm if this option has always been there? I'm keeping mine on Auto for now, as I don't know how well DX11 works in this game.
  • unholydragonkingunholydragonking Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 147 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I had the same issue but found what was causing it, my Direct x settings had been changed to DX9. Changing that setting back to Auto put the graphics back to how they were before the Feywild patch.
  • ryvvikryvvik Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 966 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Cloaktower _ massive rendering issues in the rooms where the the first crystal is picked up, floor tiles/wall tiles disappearing, toon disappearing and so on. Ran it yesterday played fine.
    Asus 690 gtx driver 320.49
    Aa 8x
    bloom on
    char detail distance 200.00
    char texture quality 200
    cinematic focus Dof on
    display mode fullscreen
    dynamic lighting on
    gpu acc Particles On
    lens flare Q High
    lighting Q High
    max lights per object 5
    max physics debris object 200
    max shader quality very high
    max shadowed lights 2
    multi core rendering on
    post processing on
    raise setting in char creator on
    reflection quality High
    render scale 1.000
    resolution 2560x1440
    screen space ambient occlusion on
    shadows High
    show advance video sttings on
    show high detailed objects on
    soft particles on
    terrain detail distance 300.000
    texture anisotropic filtering On
    underwater view on
    use full detail char animations On
    video mem limit auto
    visual fx high
    world detail distance 200.000
    world texture quality 200
  • klixanklixan Member Posts: 447 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Just to let you all know, the suggested fix worked for me. Go to Options > Video and increase the setting of your 'Max Shader Quality'. For some reason, mine was set to Low after the update. Once I increased it everything was back to normal. Thanks guys.
  • savagedeaconsavagedeacon Member Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I use this program:
    http://www.geforce.com/geforce-experience
    so fast like I saw that something was wrong I opened it and guess what? It told me that the game was not optimized: I clicked on the button optimize, problem solved
  • suzz56suzz56 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    sominator wrote: »
    Hey all,

Thanks for letting us know about this - can you please provide us with more info, including your video card, graphics settings, and maybe a screenshot or two?

Cheers!

I think the people that talked about the shader settings had it right, I checked it while I was still on the character screen and since I was set to min when I even set it to medium it made a huge difference.

But my little control wizard is in ebon downs and ewwwww that place is dreary. But I could tell some difference there too. But in the enclave it was really noticable. I also turned on anti aliasing which I don't know if it was on before the patch or not but everyone was looking really jagged.

I have an older video card so my experience probably is not as extreme, it is older but a goody gtx 9800 gtx+ but only 512 of ram.
  • bazistanbazistan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I use this program:
    http://www.geforce.com/geforce-experience
    so fast like I saw that something was wrong I opened it and guess what? It told me that the game was not optimized: I clicked on the button optimize, problem solved

Interesting - I installed this program and it doesn't list Neverwinter on my installed games list. Then I checked the games supported by it and Neverwinter isn't on the list?

Update: Nevermind - somehow I installed Neverwinter in a weird location on my HD. :rolleyes:
  • darkshogundarkshogun Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Direct x 11 is no longer supported?

Please fix this
  • smishmintsmishmint Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    ya I noticed something similar
  • ocampusmaximusocampusmaximus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 200 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Wife and I had no trouble at all. Our settings didn't change and the graphics look awesome now. My PC has a Radeon 4870 and wife's has a Radeon 6850.

Of course, we've had our share of crashes, but I have seen people do worse.
  • maderiamaderia Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    darkshogun wrote: »
    Direct x 11 is no longer supported?

Please fix this

It's supported. Look under video options
  • darkshogundarkshogun Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    thanx dude dx 11 is no longer under troubleshoot tab