test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Foundry editing not allowed?

13»

Comments

• jfinderdevjfinderdev Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developers, Neverwinter Founder's Pack Users Posts: 73
    edited August 2013
    moonchipz wrote: »
    Now that i know whats going on, i"m fine with Foundry being down as disappointing as the down time is.

Are there any plans to deal with quests that were published as tests by authors long gone?
    Example: "This is a test map", content = 1 room with a mob to kill and some random details. Author: <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>; last logged on 2 months ago

Pretty sure there are tons of them slowing the republish process

Quests are republished in order of importance and rating. The more a quest has been played and the higher it is rated, the sooner the quset will repub. This is why all the featured quests published first.
  • klixanklixan Member Posts: 447 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    This isn't a game breaking bug, it's just a little bit odd. I've just run through Celantra's quest 'Tower District Travails' and all of the monsters were different sizes. I've played this quest before, so I know the orcs are supposed to be the size of dwarves, but this time some of them were really tiny, like maybe a foot high.

Monsters that aren't supposed to be shrunk, such as the red wizards, werewolves and bone minions were also small. None of this made the quest unplayable, it just looked strange. But there does seem to be a problem with some of the republished quests.
  • raphaeldisantoraphaeldisanto Member Posts: 402 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Frankly, I'm more interested in when the Foundry's back up than when the quests get republished. :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • aovgeneralaovgeneral Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Hey Gang,
    We are making sure there are no data loss issues before we turn editing on.
    I hope this will help explain why editing is off adn when it might be back on.

The reason..
    If there is a data loss issue, and an affected project is changed in any way, we will have a very hard time recovering that lost data. We went through this a long time ago and we are being very careful to make sure we don't cause any problems with your Quests.

What we are doing..
    We are comparing, playing and diffing several projects to see if the functionality and data is the same between pre patch and post. This will tell us if there is a data loss issue. Basically if the logic of a quest is the same between both patches, there is no data loss for that type of functionality or content.

When will editing be back on?
    I expect that we will turn editing back on tomorrow, possibly mid day, but that may change. We will make sure to keep Authors in the loop.

So what is the current status?
    At this time we believe there is no data loss issues. However, there is an issue with the data of where the origin point of teleporters is located. It appears that the point has moved a little. We are still testing to make sure we know all the issues that may come from that change. This is one of the things that caused a slight panic about a potential data loss issue.

Do we have to wait until all the quests are republished before we can edit?
    Not at all. Keep in mind that anything you publish, while we are re-publishing all of the quests, will be queued. It may take some time for your quest to appear in the catalog once you publish.

As an aside to this, publishing did get delayed while we looked at an issue with the catalog. Re-Publishing will resume and continue as planned.

Again, I hope this helps!

Thanks a ton!

I appreciate you have acknowledged our frustration, but I feel like this really didn't answer any questions other then "Dose the dev. team know the foundry is down?". I saw your ETA on when it will be back up, but what I got out of it was... maybe sometime soon or not.

I might be wrong about the issue at hand. I believe you noticed a slight difference and have no idea on how it will impact game play/development. Wouldn't it be better if you just said here's the ball run with it? If you (or some one else) notice a face plant you can address it better then? Either way if there is data loss or you prolong the delay, development time is lost.
  • zovyazovya Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    We had been running republishes nearly every day on the preview shard leading up to patch day for some time now. We imported a set of quests from live to test republish and looked at alerts we found during our frequent tests. We were able to find several major issues and correct them before the build went live but we did not catch all of the issues. When we did see a problem with data or code on preview we would address it and keep looking.

Our ability to make sure every combination of feature and function in a quest comes down to volume. While we can probably import and publish all of the quests from live to preview and test, we will likely not be able to test every quest. In the end, it really comes down to knowing how a quest plays on LIVE and going in and playing it on preview. If something looks off, we investigate. That is exactly what we did along side of fixing publish alerts on preview. I am confident that we found and addressed the major issues but when we hit the volume on live and started seeing some inconsistencies we got a bit protective of your quests. We have a law, on the Foundry team, that we do anything and everything we can to make sure we do not cause a loss of data to your quests.

Although we have been working to streamline and improve our testing and republish process, it is clear we can do more. I am having a postmortem with the team to identify where we struggled and what we can do to improve this process.

Thanks for hanging in there!

Got to hate that, heading into a weekend and all...
  • moonchipzmoonchipz Member Posts: 96
    edited August 2013
    Foundry is back. Enjoy everyone :)
  • colonelwingcolonelwing Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Oh!? finally?

• saerraelsaerrael Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Faster than I expected. Good work!
  • cipher9nemocipher9nemo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Indeed, faster than I expected as well.

And Cryptic employees posting in this thread, thanks for being here. I appreciate the communication. :)
    cipher_jitn_sig.png
    Hammerfist Clan. Jump into the Night: NW-DMXWRYTAD
  • jennutjennut Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    :cool:

Fingers crossed everything runs smoothly. Have a good weekend!
  • karitrkaritr Member Posts: 662 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    jfinderdev wrote: »
    Quests are republished in order of importance and rating. The more a quest has been played and the higher it is rated, the sooner the quset will repub. This is why all the featured quests published first.

Yes, I was very glad to see 'THIS is a 1-Star Quest' reinstated :p

On a more serious note, the first non-featured ones to go up appeared to be the shortest dungeons. Very sensible and a great way to spot the *cough* training maps.

*Thumbs up*
  • eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    ...and yet, in all the explanations I seem to have missed the part about we can't allow people in Foundry editing with a disabled "Publish" button because...
  • trishanitrishani Member Posts: 41
    edited August 2013
    Putting bug report here:
    Featured Quest: Answer the Raven's Call

Specific bugs:

Post-Patch
    Map: Forest Looping path 01 has changed. It is no longer the original map, but has hundreds of new, non-author placed giant twisted trees.
    (known) Teleporters out of place.

Pre-Patch

--Infinite death loop in the final map. When people die (usually when fighting the end boss) they spawn under the world at the campfire.
    --Sometimes people report issues of doors or teleporters not working unless they leave and restart the map.
    --Dart Trap in last map won't disarm when a rogue disarms it.