test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Complaint against the Drow?

tykunetykune Member Posts: 6 Arc User
edited August 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I would like to lodge a complaint, though it may seem silly and just nit-picking at small details, about the model of the drow.

They are just too tall to even be called drow. The standard height of a drow is 4'6" to 5'6" feet tall, but clearly they are taller than some human NPCs in the game.

So please, for the sake of all that is lore and iconic about the drow race, reduce the height of their models.

Thx
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited August 2013
    You are indeed correct, I have noticed it myself, and I have no idea why the drow are roughly the same size as other elves.

As such the Drow I made have always had the shortest body proportions possible.

Thanks for the feedback though!
  • Options
    drdoodlemandrdoodleman Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    and I have no idea why the drow are roughly the same size as other elves.

You dont have any idea why? :rolleyes: I do.... pretty obvious.
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?841-The-Lower-Depths
    If you want a real look at the state of the game/customer service, check out the forum where they move all the "deleted"/banned "spam"
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Drow are shorter than typical surface elves, if that is where you are going. Elves stand about 5'4" to 6" in height. Slightly shorter to average compared to humans, but drow a still shorter than elves.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited August 2013
    In 4th Edition Forgotten Realms Player's Guide, drow are listed as such:
    RACIAL TRAITS
    Average Height: 5'4" - 6'0"
    Average Weight: 130 - 170 lb.

Ability Scores: +2 Dexterity, +2 Charisma
    Size: Medium
    Speed: 6 squares
    Vision: Darkvision

Languages: Common, Elven
    Skill Bonuses: +2 Intimidate, +2 Stealth

Fey Origin: Your ancestors were native to the Feywild, so you are considered a fey creature for the pur- pose of effects that relate to creature origin.

Trance: Rather than sleep, drow enter a meditative state known as trance. You need to spend 4 hours in this state to gain the same benefits other races gain from taking a 6-hour extended rest. While in a trance, you are fully aware of your surroundings and notice approaching enemies and other events as normal.

Lolthtouched: Once per encounter, you can use either the cloud of darkness power or the darkfire power.
    The drow of the Forgotten Realms are not "dark elves" or "drow" from other Campaigns. They are their own evolution of Drow. The only way a Forgotten Realms drow could get to another Campaign Setting is either by Spelljammer Ship or some form of Planar Travel.
  • Options
    whoregutwhoregut Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I still think I have been lied to when I watched the Neverwinter video. "For D&D players by D&D players." Anyway, it's cheaper to just use the same model and give it dark skin. Reworking a model to be correct takes time, money and effort.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited August 2013
    *****gut wrote: »
    I still think I have been lied to when I watched the Neverwinter video. "For D&D players by D&D players." Anyway, it's cheaper to just use the same model and give it dark skin. Reworking a model to be correct takes time, money and effort.

Check out the scaling options in The Foundry! I think you would be amazed by how well the models can be scaled so I don't think it is exactly challenging.

But if the local FR Guru is saying drow are not shorter than other elves I am inclined to agree even though I have heard numerous times from various sources drow are, on average, far shorter than other elves. Not that it's the best source but the Forgotten Realms Wiki, as usual, supports what the Guru has stated.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Height varies when it comes to different sources. There are even slight differences between Forgotten Realms and D&D, but I've always been a fan of the Drizzt books when it comes to drow, and its always been stated that male drow were about as tall as a female human.
  • Options
    indoril123indoril123 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Doesn't even seem like the drow have actual drow colours. They're more like a dusky grey-brown skin colour, and correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think they even get to have white hair?
  • Options
    whoregutwhoregut Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The foundry is done by players for players. The game isn't. There is also a warning when going into the foundry that says it isn't not regulated by PW or Cryptic.
  • Options
    theviking2006theviking2006 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 817 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    indoril123 wrote: »
    Doesn't even seem like the drow have actual drow colours. They're more like a dusky grey-brown skin colour, and correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think they even get to have white hair?

You are wrong. I just created a Drow with black skin and white hair.
  • Options
    abell39abell39 Member Posts: 1,175 Arc User
    edited August 2013

If you haven't since the game patched, check your advanced settings under Options -> Video. Look for the option that says Shader Detail or something like that. If your computer can handle it at any setting higher than minimum, kick it up. That will correct colors and lack of character detail in the game. Something got changed with the patch so that stuff doesn't look right until you refiddle with your graphics.
    Kerensa Loreweaver, level 60 DC | Rilla Turtledove, level 60 CW | Calvin Meriwether, level 60 TR
    Kaylee Krankenwagen, level 60 GF | Tavandruil Wayfinder, level 49 GWF | Aldith Langley, level 51 HR
  • Options
    edited August 2013

Check your graphic settings. There's a bit of an issue where colors have appear different than intended.
  • Options
    spudviciousspudvicious Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    *****gut wrote: »

The more I see with this game, the more I feel like you do. it's still a fun game for the most part, but it's becoming more and more apparent that the devs and designers are not giving a great deal of thought to that "For D&D players by D&D players" line.
  • Options
    abell39abell39 Member Posts: 1,175 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Ambisinisterr, do you think we could have a sticky that addresses the shader-detail graphics issue with the info we've posted on how to fix it? It's come up often enough in enough different threads that a sticky might be helpful to point people to....
    Kerensa Loreweaver, level 60 DC | Rilla Turtledove, level 60 CW | Calvin Meriwether, level 60 TR
    Kaylee Krankenwagen, level 60 GF | Tavandruil Wayfinder, level 49 GWF | Aldith Langley, level 51 HR
  • Options
    dustwiperdustwiper Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    One small this I would like is having Lolth and Eilistraee added to the gods you can follow.
  • Options
    ausdoerrtausdoerrt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    dustwiper wrote: »
    One small this I would like is having Lolth and Eilistraee added to the gods you can follow.

Elistraee is dead.
  • Options
    revenantbobrevenantbob Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Guys, they changed a lot of Drow information for 4E. As quoted, Drow are no longer listed as shorter than other elves. There was a big push in 4E to make races and classes more universal across D&D in general so people didn't have to learn as much to approach each campaign setting (Not that I'm a fan of this) hence why a lot of classes vanished, gods, vanished, races became more universal, etc etc.
    houserin_signature.png
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Guys, they changed a lot of Drow information for 4E. As quoted, Drow are no longer listed as shorter than other elves. There was a big push in 4E to make races and classes more universal across D&D in general so people didn't have to learn as much to approach each campaign setting (Not that I'm a fan of this) hence why a lot of classes vanished, gods, vanished, races became more universal, etc etc.

Thank goodness Ed Greenwood has the reigns again. :p
    *Grumbles about how much WotC screwed up the FR Lore*
  • Options
    ukatoenasniukatoenasni Member Posts: 224 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013

I'm with you on WotC's lore department being weak in 4th (seriously, I swear they fired anyone that knew how to write fluff and just kept the guys that could write mechanics - those guys did a pretty ace job). Ya lost me at thinking Ed Greenwood in control is a good thing, though.

Ed's a good writer, but Elminster was one of the biggest plot tumors the setting had by a long shot, and a lot of his story material got downright creepy when you stopped to examine them trope-wise. Out of the two creators of FR, though, I feel Grubb was better overall.

The drow height change (going on topic) does seem somewhat odd, but I think we can chalk it up to 'A lot of weird stuff has happened since the last time we saw Faerun'. Sweet babies, has a lot of weird stuff happened.

[SIGPIC]Also, this poster rambles.[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    klixanklixan Member Posts: 447 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    I've just made my very first elf character (a Sun Elf) and my only complaint with her is her legs. They are way too long! I've shortened them as far as I can, but they still look too long to me.

As for character editing in the foundry, I really hope that one day they add these advanced options to the live game for all our characters!
  • Options
    alienslofalienslof Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    dustwiper wrote: »

I'd like to see Lolth in the god options as well. Of 5 characters I have currently, 3 are drow. :)
    A dream to some, a NIGHTMARE to others!

Lolth be praised!
  • Options
    ukatoenasniukatoenasni Member Posts: 224 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    alienslof wrote: »
    I'd like to see Lolth in the god options as well. Of 5 characters I have currently, 3 are drow. :)

I think generally they're trying to avoid adding 'evil' deities (Cyric is absent as well, but we can have face tattoos of him). Lloth is functionally in that same category, as are a number of others.

Basically, the entire player quotient at this point is assumed to be Neutral/Unaligned* at best, and possibly Lawful Good at the highest spectruum (though you aren't required to be).

(*NOTE: 4th tossed out most of the old Alignment system for a simpler, easier to define system that is somewhat less prone to arguements. The spectruum now goes from Chaotic Evil to Evil to Unaligned to Good to Lawful Good. A lot of the old alignments were rolled into one or two of these [Unaligned can be tinged heavily with good, and Good can be tinged heavily with Unaligned tendencies so long as, on the whole, you act in respect to the alignment most of the time].)

[SIGPIC]Also, this poster rambles.[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    lilnaerynlilnaeryn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    On the Drow front, I'm more baffled by males being buff dudes and females being built out of sticks when the females should be the taller, bigger ones. But then again most Realms art likes to forget this in favor of spiderweb bikinis, too.

A bit more variation in male/female model types would have been nice, so it's sad seeing the best opportunity for it get skipped. :(
  • Options
    redflamesredflames Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I don't remember drows ever being short. Im not saying they were overly tall but not short...but that's just me...(Yes I read "forgotten realms" books) You also have to intake that every species has a species within a species. Sometimes the race explanation for the game or book you may be reading explains why things are the way they are. That's just my two cents.
  • Options
    generia7generia7 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    abell39 wrote: »
    If you haven't since the game patched, check your advanced settings under Options -> Video. Look for the option that says Shader Detail or something like that. If your computer can handle it at any setting higher than minimum, kick it up. That will correct colors and lack of character detail in the game. Something got changed with the patch so that stuff doesn't look right until you refiddle with your graphics.

It seems to me that after the last patch the drow skin and hair selections seem off. When I created my renegade drow, I recall having white hair. Now the white hair goes to the moon elves in the selection? I did re-adjust my graphics settings after the last patch. But, I think the drow hair and skin selections became very limited after the last patch. It could be just my imagination. However, it would be nice to be able to have white hair for the drow, instead of the greyish-white hair.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Some player's default graphic settings were altered for some reason after the latest patch. If you correct the graphics settings the drow should again look like a drow. :)

EDIT - I did not see the line about already changing your graphic settings...

Nothing was changed regarding the drow skin and hair selections and while I have seen complaints there isn't a "white" hair option that's really only because you are looking at the swatch rather than the hair. The hair is still white but as any artists can tell you without some tone black and white can easily become matte.

The brightest option looks exactly how I would imagine drow hair and any whiter and it would become matte. Ignore the swatch and care about the actual appearance because if the swatch lied and showed it as pure white I guarantee you wouldn't be able to tell. :p
  • Options
    greeniewolf0greeniewolf0 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 83
    edited August 2013
    One of the very very few times I have to agree with you....
  • Options
    greeniewolf0greeniewolf0 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 83
    edited August 2013
    alienslof wrote: »

Can I third that? And if they allow it as an option in the future can we get the ability to change deities for free?