test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What experience with 4th Edition D&D did the Devs have ......

mithreinmaethormithreinmaethor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited August 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Before programming the game?

I really question their familiarity with 4th edition by some of their choices made in development.

Its more like they tried to program the game more to work like their other games over programming a 4th Edition D&D game.
Post edited by mithreinmaethor on

Comments

• Options
    bracer2bracer2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 566 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    This action mmo doesnt resemble any version of D&D including 4e. It never will. We can only hope a new actual D&D video game is released sooner then later.
  • Options
    seisem2seisem2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    bracer2 wrote: »
    This action mmo doesnt resemble any version of D&D including 4e. It never will. We can only hope a new actual D&D video game is released sooner then later.

I agree with you. Outside of a lot of the lore in this game, it has nothing to do with D&D.
    Seisem - DC 13K GS
    Catalina Erantzo - GWF 13.9K GS

<Future> Guild on Dragon - Legit Non Exploit Guild (We are always recruiting great players)

Future Guild Recruitment Thread: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?475381-lt-Future-gt-Legit-Non-Exploit-Guild-Recruiting
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited August 2013
    . . . . . Many of the developers are also avid Paper & Pencil D&D gamers. They also work very closely with Wizards of the Coast in the development of Neverwinter Online. Also, it was said early on that while this is based upon 4th edition, it is just that... "based upon" and in effect, it is its own rule-set.

. . . . . It is not the rules that make D&D. It is the lore, the world, the action, the adventure, and the players that make it Dungeons & Dragons.
  • Options
    lostmarblesherelostmarbleshere Banned Users Posts: 654 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    seisem2 wrote: »
    I agree with you. Outside of a lot of the lore in this game, it has nothing to do with D&D.

Probly zero experience. 4.0 edition was the worst DnD edition ever. The worst play experience and selling. Wotc is right now fleshing out the 5.0 rules which give back the flavor and game play of 3.5 edition. 3.5 edition rulebooks out sell 4.0 Edition. This 4.0 edition rules also killed the DnD miniatures game too.
  • Options
    cgta1967cgta1967 Member Posts: 86
    edited August 2013
    I rolled a 'one' when poking the campfire with a stick..... now I walk like a sandcrab.

this round I am going to roll for opening this bottle of rum .....'dang....another 'one'.

is that blood?
    edited August 2013
    The fourth edition of D&D didn't have anything to do with D&D either, until they slapped a D&D label on it, as it was radically different from every other edition of D&D that preceded it.

This action MMO is more similar to earlier editions of D&D, which were much simpler than more recent editions, with symbolic elements of 4th Ed. layered over it to maintain a connection with it.
  • Options
    lostmarblesherelostmarbleshere Banned Users Posts: 654 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    zebular wrote: »
    . . . . . Many of the developers are also avid Paper & Pencil D&D gamers. They also work very closely with Wizards of the Coast in the development of Neverwinter Online.

I like the quote it doesnt say which edition they play. LOL
  • Options
    knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Wotc is right now fleshing out the 5.0 rules which give back the flavor and game play of 3.5 edition,

From what I saw of 5, I would say it was harkening back to earlier editions than that. However, I didn't see a lot of it, so it could be that what I saw reminded me of earlier editions and other parts of it are more like 3.5.
  • Options
    dirmagnosdirmagnos Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Neverwinter is basicly another generic mmorpg clone(there are hunderds of those out there) set in FR universe. It has NOTHING to do with D&D, even class stats are there more for show than making actual difference.
    Cleric is not really cleric, more like wizard/cleric/necromancer even mix. Rogue is far closer to D&D barbarian, that actual rogue. Etc.
  • Options
    aerisodaerisod Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    cgta1967 wrote: »
    I rolled a 'one' when poking the campfire with a stick..... now I walk like a sandcrab.

this round I am going to roll for opening this bottle of rum .....'dang....another 'one'.

is that blood?

Holy <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, this is all sorts of funny.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited August 2013
    . . . . . Does it really matter? It is not the rules that make D&D. It is the lore, the world, the action, the adventure, and the players that make it Dungeons & Dragons. In any case, from what I recall, they play a variety depending on the individual, which for some includes all editions, and even D&D Next and D&D Miniatures.
  • Options
    edited August 2013

It doesn't matter what edition they play. They are all D&D. The form of D&D has changed greatly over the years, but no edition caused previous editions to become invalid.
  • Options
    brendan03usbrendan03us Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    4e gave rise to Pathfinder as a reaction to it, it was so poorly received by many in the PnP community. I'm looking forward to 5.0, and hopefully it's more like 3.5 was, perhaps with a tad of streamlining here and there.

I don't think any MMO is going to really resemble DnD in the PnP sense because MMOs are based primarily around content repetition. It's very hard to make an exploration-based MMO while maintaining a coherent experience for most players (yes, you can have an open world MMO, but almost all of them have level based progression as well, and the ones that do not tend to be sandboxy which is less cohesive and far less popular, too). You can make story/module based experiences, which is what they have tried to do here, but people find that too linear (another thing that is hard to avoid in MMOs). At endgame it's repetition, which is not very DnD at all.

Nevertheless I appreciate what they did here in terms of the setting and the nod to DnD terms. I don't think it's realistic to expect an MMORPG to mirror to any significant degree the PnP experience of DnD (or Pathfinder for that matter).
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    zebular wrote: »
    . . . . . Does it really matter? It is not the rules that make D&D. It is the lore, the world, the action, the adventure, and the players that make it Dungeons & Dragons. In any case, from what I recall, they play a variety depending on the individual, which for some includes 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and even D&D Next.

Exactly. D&D was always more about the adventures and those taking part in them rather than the mechanics. Personally, I have always preferred the more mechanics lite editions, as I believe the minutia of some of the more recent editions just gets in the way or role-playing rather than enhancing it.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    4e gave rise to Pathfinder as a reaction to it, it was so poorly received by many in the PnP community. I'm looking forward to 5.0, and hopefully it's more like 3.5 was, perhaps with a tad of streamlining here and there.
    I'm hoping it's more like 1st edition with some easing of racial class and multi-class limits and level limits, with a better organized DMG. I really hope that it doesn't get bogged down in the minutia of 3.5. If so, it will be another pass for me.
    I don't think any MMO is going to really resemble DnD in the PnP sense because MMOs are based primarily around content repetition. It's very hard to make an exploration-based MMO while maintaining a coherent experience for most players (yes, you can have an open world MMO, but almost all of them have level based progression as well, and the ones that do not tend to be sandboxy which is less cohesive and far less popular, too). You can make story/module based experiences, which is what they have tried to do here, but people find that too linear (another thing that is hard to avoid in MMOs). At endgame it's repetition, which is not very DnD at all.

Nevertheless I appreciate what they did here in terms of the setting and the nod to DnD terms. I don't think it's realistic to expect an MMORPG to mirror to any significant degree the PnP experience of DnD (or Pathfinder for that matter).

MMORPGs will never be able to replicate the experience of pnp role-playing just like modern television will never be apple to replicate the radio dramas of the past. The mediums are different. What works in one doesn't work in the other whole cloth. In particular, no DM is present, so a good deal of the interactivity and spontaneity of pnp role-play is simply impossible in MMORPGs.
  • Options
    brendan03usbrendan03us Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    knightfalz wrote: »
    I'm hoping it's more like 1st edition with some easing of racial class and multi-class limits and level limits, with a better organized DMG. I really hope that it doesn't get bogged down in the minutia of 3.5. If so, it will be another pass for me.

I wouldn't mind a streamlined system along the lines of original, either, which was what I played first. 3.5 was more of a rules lawyer ruleset, that's true.

MMORPGs will never be able to replicate the experience of pnp role-playing just like modern television will never be apple to replicate the radio dramas of the past. The mediums are different. What works in one doesn't work in the other whole cloth. In particular, no DM is present, so a good deal of the interactivity and spontaneity of pnp role-play is simply impossible in MMORPGs.

Yep. DDO tried to do this with scripted voice overs, but it was static and not spontaneous, of course. It's just a different type of game from a PnP RPG, really.
  • Options
    vrtesseractvrtesseract Member Posts: 631 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Accually rogue is almost a stealthy psion, or ranger/bard what with all the two blade and teleporting, id imagine that was added to evoke shifting, GWF are more barbarians with the unstoppable being the frenzy.