test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

what companion?

eldmorg79eldmorg79 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited August 2013 in PvE Discussion
what newbie companion would be best for DC farmer... does defender survive more then cleric?... or does dog have really that good DPS?
Veno Forever <3
Post edited by eldmorg79 on

Comments

• vortix44vortix44 Member Posts: 680 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Companions in NW are more for companionship than for actual help during the fights. Their strongest damage will be less than one tenth of your lowest attack, plus they will die after two hits.
    People usually choose the Cleric, who at least heals them between the fights. But as you're a healer...
    Man-at-arm maybe, as he may survive one more hit. The dog has no significant DPS, but will once in a while take down the foe.
    English is not my first language.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    My DC uses a man-at-arms to help her stay alive while soloing as she's a healer build. I find him a very effective little tank. It's his ability to hold aggro that's really key, as she does alright at helping him stay alive. Makes a good team.

I have seen other players suggest that if you are going to do a lot of solo play as a DC, you might consider getting the cleric companion to heal you and speccing yourself as a DPS cleric.

I suppose my question is what do you mean by "farmer" on this character? Getting to 60 and farming epic dungeons, where your party will want you to heal and buff? Or a character who'll be farming Leadership and invoking where you intend to also do some solo play for dailies? Or what?
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • rabbinicusrabbinicus Member Posts: 1,822 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    If you have the Guardian pack, then the Dire Wolf is a solid choice. Also lasts more than two hits until very late in the game.

If you're not buying a companion from the Zen store (if you are then people seem to have solid luck with the Galeb Duhr and Honey Badger), then the man-at-arms will help you until you outlevel him. Even then, he will help you start off fights without aggro.
    The right to command is earned through duty, the privilege of rank is service.

• beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I do also have the Dire Wolf and it works fine but doesn't hold aggro as well as the man-at-arms. It does have a knockback that can be helpful.

That said, any of the packs is better value the more characters you intend to play under a single account. For a single character, it's not necessarily worthwhile.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • balthazoorbalthazoor Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I have the Cleric and Phoera, I use the cleric for dungeons and boss PvE quests and phoera for other PvE.
  • abell39abell39 Member Posts: 1,175 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Ignore what's been said about companion damage and fragility until you're level 30 or above. Up until then, companions can be very helpful.

I have a DC for my main and I'm pleased with both the dog and the phoera. The phoera's good for raw damage, and the dog is good for tripping up and distracting big bads so I can deal with minions. Neither hold aggro that well, though, so the man-at-arms is a good choice for that if you're having a hard time with mobs.
    Kerensa Loreweaver, level 60 DC | Rilla Turtledove, level 60 CW | Calvin Meriwether, level 60 TR
    Kaylee Krankenwagen, level 60 GF | Tavandruil Wayfinder, level 49 GWF | Aldith Langley, level 51 HR