test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Lockboxes are a ripoff.

caduceusfreektcaduceusfreekt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
edited August 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Spent almost 1000 Zen on 10 keys, used them all, and i got 1(!) Epic enchant, and a load of uncommon <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.
Since i have spent
Post edited by caduceusfreekt on

Comments

• Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited August 2013
    . . . . . I also have terrible luck! I have yet to get a mount. The best I have gotten is 40,000 AD from one. Best is subjective though, I do suppose. I know plenty of people that have gotten Nightmare mounts and other nice things though... Tymora just seems to be displeased with me, and apparently you as well...*the mage frowns and returns to roaming the halls*
  • Options
    dexymandexyman Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    its a game of chance....no point qq about it.
  • Options
    drakesigardrakesigar Member Posts: 231 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    It's gambling, and the house always wins.
    Check out Adventuring College! A 20 minute male-centric comedic solo adventure.
    Quest ID: NW-DPCZNUVQ7
  • Options
    undeadcrabbundeadcrabb Member Posts: 544 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    One lockbox dropped me a phoera. I exchanged my AD, that I saved up from auction house , bought a key, and BAM, there it is, a flying, flaming bird! Ain't I lucky?
    Folow me on Deviant art! ;)
  • Options
    eldmorg79eldmorg79 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    drakesigar wrote: »

this is so true... thats why i never gambling... u may get lucky and get what u want... but % of win is always on house side :P
    Veno Forever <3
  • Options
    badpanda69badpanda69 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Technically its not gambling as you always get some thing. Its more of a tombola really you always get some thing but its not always the thing you wanted.
  • Options
    arielluariellu Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Funny how the bright lights fail to cast a glow over the real money that's lost.

So you buy a key to unlock a 'chance' to get an item that's superseded by something better at the flick of a pixel.
    Just doing a basic calculation on the fey pack if all players brought the 'upgrade' $49.99 x 2,000,000 (number of players) and bam that's $100,000,000 in one shot. That is an awful lot of disappointment and misery.

Okay so not every one pays that but just assuming is even a quarter that do that's a phenomenal amount for something that can be switched off at any time because of varying factors such as player volume count.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited August 2013
    .. . .. . Most of my keys have been bought using ADs I have sold on the AD Exchange. I don't spend real money on keys anymore and I never spend Zen on ADs, but that's just me.
  • Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    badpanda69 wrote: »
    Technically its not gambling as you always get some thing. Its more of a tombola really you always get some thing but its not always the thing you wanted.

I am pretty sure that tombolas are still legally defined as gambling. There may be some conditions on requiring a license based on the duration the tickets are sold, or total prize value. I really doubt though that a long term sale of enchanted keys where prizes are the equivalent of $30 mounts, etc, would be classified in the same fashion as a one day tombola event with low total value prizes.

The use of the real life cash -> ZEN system while at the same time having the ability to earn AD in-game is quite possibly a deliberate choice to confuse this issue.
  • Options
    degraafinationdegraafination Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    drakesigar wrote: »

Yep. Best to save up AD, transfer into Zen, and buy a mount that applies to all of your characters.
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
    Join Essence of Aggression: PVP-ing Hard Since Beta!
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Member Posts: 5,727 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Spent almost 1000 Zen on 10 keys, used them all, and i got 1(!) Epic enchant, and a load of uncommon <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.
    Since i have spent

welcome to my world, the RNG hates me too and I've opened a whole lot more than 10. IN Champions.WAAAAYYYY more. We're on about our 5th type of lockbox.

2,000,000 (number of players) I'd like to know, how many of those are
    a. gold sellers
    b. alt accts to vote for Foundry missions(supposedly happening)
    b2. just normal alt accts to get more than 2 characters for free.
    c. accts for STO & CO(all PWE accts can be used on all games), who don't actually play this game.
    d. actually still playing and not just logging on to Pray or do crafting.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    5e4fd3cb-b728-4870-849c-b007bccaf5e9_zpsqomajucn.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    chaelk wrote: »
    b. alt accts to vote for Foundry missions(supposedly happening)

Okay silly me - that explains it.

I always wondered why so many Foundries had great first reviews then scores were all over the place. I had thought people getting friends or guildies to do this, but should have realised that this would also be done.
  • Options
    karitrkaritr Member Posts: 662 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    mconosrep wrote: »
    I am pretty sure that tombolas are still legally defined as gambling. There may be some conditions on requiring a license based on the duration the tickets are sold, or total prize value. I really doubt though that a long term sale of enchanted keys where prizes are the equivalent of $30 mounts, etc, would be classified in the same fashion as a one day tombola event with low total value prizes.

The use of the real life cash -> ZEN system while at the same time having the ability to earn AD in-game is quite possibly a deliberate choice to confuse this issue.

They are not legally defined as gambling here in the UK. You can also offer alcohol as prizes without needing an alcohol licence.

Just because something is a 'gamble' does not make it 'gambling' as defined by law.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    karitr wrote: »
    They are not legally defined as gambling here in the UK. You can also offer alcohol as prizes without needing an alcohol licence.

Just because something is a 'gamble' does not make it 'gambling' as defined by law.

I am pretty sure they are - it is simply that there are exceptions granted for limited events.

Quote from http://www.gamblingcommission.gov.uk/gambling_sectors/lotteries_raffles/getting_a_licence-what_you__n/do_i_need_a_licence.aspx/:

You do need a lottery operating licence if your lottery (raffle) sells over 20,000 pounds of lottery tickets in a single draw or 250,000 pounds of lottery tickets in a calendar year. Find out which type of operating licence you need, and how to apply.

So it appears that all such events are in fact within their jurisdiction,, but they simply don't enforce it for smaller ones.
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Member Posts: 5,727 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    weird, tombola in Australia is a large marble. usually about an inch across.
    Okay silly me - that explains it.

I always wondered why so many Foundries had great first reviews then scores were all over the place. I had thought people getting friends or guildies to do this, but should have realised that this would also be done.

yes they get friends and guilds to check it too. Look for the threads asking for people to check for them.
    as for the gambling,
    lotteries only a few tickets win something,
    the lockboxes you are guarenteed to get something, not necessarily what you want(because everyone wants the rare items) this is not counted as gambling.

gambling has a chance of getting nothing(though with cryptics bug record, I'm waiting for a lockbox bug)

this was pointed out on a similar thread in Champions, our rubbish drop is 50 rank 3 mods.
    out of
    very rares(usually one of these)
    vehicle
    become device(shapechange with powers attached)

rare(though people would argue very)
    gear box with 3 legion peices plus 5 rank 5 or 7 mods
    gear box with 1 legion peice plus 5 rank 6 or 7 mods
    gear box with 1 mercenery gear(3 slots as opposed to 4 in legion gear) PLus 5 rank 6 or 7 mods
    costume peice plus rank 6 or 7 mods

common
    can come with a 1 hr xp boost token
    10 rank 5 mods
    25 rank 4 mods
    50 rank 3 mods
    very common
    2,3,5,10 drifter salvage- usuable to buy other items. plus the xp boost or resource boost.
    Guarenteed to get something, it may not be what you want but you get something
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    5e4fd3cb-b728-4870-849c-b007bccaf5e9_zpsqomajucn.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    cgta1967cgta1967 Member Posts: 86
    edited August 2013
    P.T. Barnum is proven right yet again.

edited August 2013
    chaelk wrote: »
    as for the gambling,
    lotteries only a few tickets win something,
    the lockboxes you are guarenteed to get something, not necessarily what you want(because everyone wants the rare items) this is not counted as gambling.

gambling has a chance of getting nothing(though with cryptics bug record, I'm waiting for a lockbox bug)

This line of argument seems very dubious. The legal definition of gambling in the US is:
    "
    (A) means the staking or risking by any person of something of value upon the outcome of a contest of others, a sporting event, or a game subject to chance, upon an agreement or understanding that the person or another person will receive something of value in the event of a certain outcome; "

which says nothing about whether you receive something on every occasion or not.
  • Options
    badpanda69badpanda69 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Well the english langue is a very tricky thing I mean look at what literately happened to the word literately. While its not gambling in the sense of you placing a bet and possibly getting nothing, its is a gamble in meaning of the word to take a chance on a uncertain outcome.
  • Options
    allaerraallaerra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 838 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Since i have spent
    You are complaining about 10 keys? There have been folks who have posted the odds if you use the search function. IIRC a Nightmare mount is 1:250 which means 250 keys. It is a game of chance. You pays yer money and you takes yer chances. Nowhere does it force you to buy keys.
  • Options
    writer12writer12 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Since i have spent
    Unfortunately, that is what happens when it is a chance system. You can buy 10 keys and get one after 4 tries, or you can buy 200 and get it after. No where does it state that you will get what you want out of the lockboxes. My husband spent 1k zen and got 10 keys, he got 200K AD, a 40 weapon (that is usable at lower levels), a 40 neck (that is usable at lower levels). You just had bad luck; it doesn't mean the lock boxes, themselves, are ripoffs..
  • Options
    ohman1336ohman1336 Member Posts: 32
    edited August 2013
    opening lockboxes are like hazard games, you might be lucky and win but you will most likely loose.