test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Companion upgrades

ssunariassunaria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 7 Arc User
edited August 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I got a survey asking me why I don't play anymore. Unfourtunatly nothing actually made sence to why I'm not playing. It comes down to one simple reason. I was enjoying the storyline uptil around L30 or so. With my Cleric companion dying every 5 seconds because I couldn't upgrade it with tomes, I felt like ... **** it this isn't worth the aggravation.

I was enjoying the games storyline as a single player, and couldn't anymore ... so thats the end then ....
Post edited by ssunaria on

Comments

• eldmorg79eldmorg79 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    u do know there is other companions in game? this game is F2P and its "very friendly" F2P considering other games...

u have 2 options...
    1. buy better companion from store (im not spender btw)
    2. work hard in game to earn zen (best possible feature in game that allow ppl who cant spend real money to still can get all that spender have... all depend how determinate u are...

if u dont know how to earn zen in game tell me and i will gladly explain to you :)
    Veno Forever <3
  • miasmatmiasmat Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 318 Cryptic Developer
    edited August 2013
    Also, they're adding a mechanism to let you upgrade the quatlity of your favorite companions in the Fury of the Feywild expansion. http://nw.perfectworld.com/furyofthefeywild
    "COMPANION QUALITY UPGRADE
    Can’t bear to part with your common quality Dog even though there are higher quality pets out there? You won’t have to with this new feature that allows you to spend Astral Diamonds to increase the quality of your companions."
  • geldrinhor62geldrinhor62 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    miasmat wrote: »
    Also, they're adding a mechanism to let you upgrade the quatlity of your favorite companions in the Fury of the Feywild expansion. http://nw.perfectworld.com/furyofthefeywild
    "COMPANION QUALITY UPGRADE
    Can’t bear to part with your common quality Dog even though there are higher quality pets out there? You won’t have to with this new feature that allows you to spend Astral Diamonds to increase the quality of your companions."

Bout Time...LOL You know what it's like to have a choice of 4 or 5 different Lvl 15 companions? Do I take the slow moving Cleric? The dim witted and slow responding Wayward Wizard? The Ankle Biter? (a very handy trick, nonetheless)
    Thank Goodness for two things happening. The super special Invasion of Valindra's Army event netted me about 4 Skeletal Dogs, one of which was the RARE blue one (level 25 Max) and a Nightmare Lockbox that took me three weeks to save the Diamonds to buy a key, by buying Zen Coins 8-12 at a time in the Astral Diamond Exchange. I got a Phoera (Epic critter, lvl 30 Max).
    Other than that, I have basic Companions.
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I don't really understand why your companion should die all the time, in particular if it is maxed out, with appropriate gear and runestones. One of my alts happens to be also lvl 30 with a lvl 16 cleric companion, and she practically never dies - I think it has happened once.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • ordensmarschallordensmarschall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,060 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    My level 15 companions drop like flies, especially when they decide to go into hand to hand combat. Only my level 30 Dire Wolf, and level 15 fighter companion don't die at the drop of a hat.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • electricghotielectricghoti Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    It's all right at level 30, but the companion dying gets much worse as you get up to 40, 50 and 60. For people that prefer to solo, or don't have the time to run a group, it can get pretty frustrating when your companion pretty much devolved to a minute meat shield.

This is especially true on bosses and times when there are mobs of regular creatures in a dungeon/quest area/whatever that try to surround you. Inevitably, they surround your poor level 15 companion and wipe the floor with it unless you can kill them all in time. The frequency this happens once you get to level 60 varies depending on your class and play style. As a rogue, I found it almost essential to keep my cleric companion alive in order to use her as an aggro shield in places like Mt. Hotenow with ******bag fire rock archon guys and giants.
  • mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    My Green Rank 20 Cleric with (cheap) HP Runes and Recovery items is fine for Level 60 foundries and Tier 1 Dungeons. She has even been known to last a while in some Tier 2s....
  • powereddjinnpowereddjinn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Funny my Lillend (lvl 25 atm) dies far far far more often than my 'Upstart Cleric' or Cleric due to the Artificial Stupidity System, the Lillend always tries to get behind her target, and as far from me as possible.
    My clerics are able to survive level 60 Foundry & all the solo 'Fury of the Feywild' except the last fight in the solo dungeons, where they die sometime in the last 1/3 of the 'boss' fights.

But I cannot see you enjoying the upgraded companions as they will cost you 1.6 million AD each, to get your white (level 15) to purple (level 30)! As you can see buying a higher grade companion is generally cheaper!

Also the only things you need to spend real cash for are the packs (HotN, Guardian, Knight, the 2 bag packs) everything else can be bought for earned in game currency! (indirectly: Zen Exchange, Auction House, Direct Trade with players)
  • ssunariassunaria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Well in all hounesty I haven't played in a few months now because of my cleric dying thing. Maybe in the patches over the last months they became better at staying alive.

I know there where tomes you could buy to upgrade them at launch but they where disabled. With the promise to reenable them. However each week that I checked the forums they wheren't enabled. So I'm still waiting ... maybe with this fey expantion they will become enabled. I would be happy to spend a few € on them just to buy those tomes
    edited August 2013
    ssunaria wrote: »
    Well in all hounesty I haven't played in a few months now because of my cleric dying thing. Maybe in the patches over the last months they became better at staying alive.

I know there where tomes you could buy to upgrade them at launch but they where disabled. With the promise to reenable them. However each week that I checked the forums they wheren't enabled. So I'm still waiting ... maybe with this fey expantion they will become enabled. I would be happy to spend a few € on them just to buy those tomes

If you have more than one character and the Green Tielfing cleric is still available (Check Neverwinter promotions - IGN) get that instead as it is account bound.
  • axer128axer128 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013

Honestly if you're having difficulty progressing through the game at lvl 30.. Your companion shouldn't be a big concern.

The game is designed to get progressively more difficult as you level up, but yea level 30 is still relatively easy and easily soloable on any class, with all white equipment and no companion.

So yea you really shouldn't be relying on it for much at this point, else youll be running into even further frustration down the road.

But yea companion upgrades are coming august 22nd. Though I can guarantee you upgrading that cleric won't have much impact on the games challenge at all. It will still die frequently.

Best way to keep it alive is to keep the aggro on yourself, and equip it with lifesteal and regeneration items - they are super effective on companions. (a single lifesteal item will give her over 100% lifesteal).
    -Group tools in dire need of improvement, please read and reply to improve our community.
    -Epic Dread Vault Crushed.
    Characters (Dragon): Axer (60 Guardian, Leader of Crush It!), Controller (60 Wizard), Warlocker (60 Warlock)
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited August 2013
    Check this out!
    http://nw.perfectworld.com/furyofthefeywild
    COMPANION QUALITY UPGRADE
    Can't bear to part with your common quality Dog even though there are higher quality pets out there? You won't have to with this new feature that allows you to spend Astral Diamonds to increase the quality of your companions.

. . . . . As others have said, if you have a healing companion, you need to keep the aggro off of them. Not sure what class you're playing but the fighter classes have feats that will increase your aggroing of monsters while the Wizard and Cleric have stuff to decrease aggro. I use a few companions, but not a healer, on my Wizard. They rarely die before I do. So far, to level 40 I haven't needed a healer at all for I'm specced for regeneration and life steal. Food for thought!
  • goddessuniquegoddessunique Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Maybe in the patches over the last months they became better at staying alive.

Sorry to tell you this but the patches(except the last one) were almost as useless as non augment companions. They still suicide run into groups of mobs and try to hug the boss while standing in red circles.
    They finally fixed the sort button:o
    Queen of Dragon Server
    Goddess Uniique, lvl 60 DC.
    PinkSugar, lvl 60 CW.
    Baby Cakes, lvl 60 GWF.
    *******, lvl 60 TR.
    Premium Juicebox, lvl 60 CW.
    Pink Exxxtacy, Ranger

There is NO pvp in Neverwinter.
    edited August 2013
    axer128 wrote: »
    Best way to keep it alive is to keep the aggro on yourself, and equip it with lifesteal and regeneration items - they are super effective on companions. (a single lifesteal item will give her over 100% lifesteal).

You prefer life-steal/regen on a healer companion to recovery? Is their DPS enough to actual matter as opposed to stacking Recovery so she heals you both more often?
  • ssunariassunaria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Well I played again today, appearently I was around level 38, I'm level 41 now. But nearly the entire time I played the cleric was more death then alive. I'm really curious how in heavens you keep the normal white cleric alive at those levels ...