test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Bermuda Triangle for Portable Altars

yipykayeyipykaye Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 145 Bounty Hunter
edited August 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I wonder what the numbers would be for the amount of portable altars that have been placed in Protector's enclave in the flat area between the original Postal Courier and Rhix. Lol
I know that is the spawn point for all my characters and it is just a matter of time each log in before someone or myself drops an altar to pray. Bless that area for our bag space would be much worse due to unused altars
"A Time Long Forgotten"
Whispers in the Forest NW-DPJGEXZJ8 - Daily
A Salty Sailor's Brew NW-DMOZP625S - Daily
Bonds of a Brother NW-DCP9XPZHI - Daily
Post edited by yipykaye on

Comments

• tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I think I've used portable altars about 3-4 times in actual questing. Mostly when I had lots of time and don't want to use a potion and my invoke dinged. After getting to L60, haven't used them outside PE.
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • jorifice1jorifice1 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I don't think that I've used one.
    Ever.
    I've "Borrowed" a handy Alter if I happened to be nearby and needed a quick Prayer Fix, but otherwise, I sell them cheap on the A.H. whenever one of my stacks reach 99.
    SOMEONE keeps buying them, so they can't be entirely useless, I guess.

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    jorifice1 wrote: »
    I don't think that I've used one.
    Ever.
    I've "Borrowed" a handy Alter if I happened to be nearby and needed a quick Prayer Fix, but otherwise, I sell them cheap on the A.H. whenever one of my stacks reach 99.
    SOMEONE keeps buying them, so they can't be entirely useless, I guess.

They're like training runes. Mostly useless. My guild is trying to make a rank 10 training rune without wards. We're at rank 7's so far.
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited August 2013
    . . . . . When only needing to invoke, I use portable altars only when I don't have time to log in and run to a campfire or the Shrine of the Gods. In such cases, I'll log in, drop an altar and invoke then switch characters. Most of my lowbie characters are logged out in the Shrine of the Gods' radius though. I use them all the time through out missions though for healing and Invoking.
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    They should make the healing portion of portable altars scale w/ character level, and they should make them provide the "mending wounds" buff. They're meant to reduce downtime, so why not expand upon that?
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • vrtesseractvrtesseract Member Posts: 631 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    they should just stick an altar near rhix.
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    They could make them more worthwhile to use. If say, everyone using one would give the owner a tiny percentage of every XP/AD received.
  • runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I use them a lot in PE now. Mostly because of the lag. A lot less aggravating to drop an altar and invoke than to try to run up to shrine with all the rubberbanding.

I'm hoping they'll eventually let us customize them. I can imagine them selling an item in the Zen shop that (when equipped) would change the look of our portable altars when used.
    Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR
  • fondlezfondlez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    yipykaye wrote: »
    I wonder what the numbers would be for the amount of portable altars that have been placed in Protector's enclave in the flat area between the original Postal Courier and Rhix. Lol
    I know that is the spawn point for all my characters and it is just a matter of time each log in before someone or myself drops an altar to pray. Bless that area for our bag space would be much worse due to unused altars

Using that spot to login would be tantamount to character suicide for me due to the huge amount of lag! It is literally the worst possible spot for an endgame character, imo.

I much prefer logging into non-PE maps with camp spots very close to the door or, at worst, inside a PE building like Trade of Blades (good for always having your Daily/AP full) or the "Barber"/Appearances shop (right next to a mailbox) which is always super quiet because no one else is ever there.
  • darklock101darklock101 Member Posts: 52
    edited August 2013
    I want to be able to charge people for the privilege of praying at my altar. Let's say 100 ad automatically transferred.
  • echokazulechokazul Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Sometimes I like sticking them down there and seeing how many people pray at them. Its like feeding hungry sharks circling around, waiting. Pop one down, and boom! Three or four people swarm it.

Honestly, there's not much else use for them. They heal much, much more slowly then a regular campfire, and popping potions is a lot faster and easier then sitting for five minutes watching my healthbar slowly climb. I usually have a stack of 75-90 of them, either they need to be rarer, or more useful.
    Kyba Fell- Tiefling GF (Main)
    RainFeather- Dragonborn DC
    Rune Fell- Drow CW
  • whistlingdixiewhistlingdixie Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Seems like the whole of Protector's Enclave counts as a campfire, why not be able to Invoke anywhere? I mean, it doesn't really make sense you can do it at a magic campfire any more or less. Though it could be they are trying to get some people away from logging in and out at the auction house. Seems like it works -- there's always a ton of people at the Shrine.
  • echokazulechokazul Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I'm really not sure why people need to camp out by the auction house. You can access it anywhere. I used to camp there because of the mail courier, but now that there's a mailbox by the shrine, that seems more convenient. Maybe now it's just a good, familiar place to gather and show off their gear.
    Kyba Fell- Tiefling GF (Main)
    RainFeather- Dragonborn DC
    Rune Fell- Drow CW
  • glowingemberglowingember Member Posts: 181 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    its convenient to pray, update ad quests from rhix and check out the auction house to save yourself that 2% fee, plus the extra bonus of a mail box and potion seller right by the auction house. Then switch to a different character and continue questing.
    edit: I love the hungry shark reference lol.