test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Mages in PvP

brandyyyybrandyyyy Member Posts: 70
edited August 2013 in PvE Discussion
I have a CW and a GF I pvp at 60 with. I have to say it is quite obviously unballanced. Even if my team is losing on GF I bully mages with bull charge. Like that loser in the school yard whos team all left.. at least I can kill that piece of garb.
Post edited by brandyyyy on

Comments

• lostmarblesherelostmarbleshere Banned Users Posts: 654 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    gotta move this thread its about game play. Move along no droids here
  • brandyyyybrandyyyy Member Posts: 70
    edited August 2013
    how does one move it exactly?
  • destinyknightdestinyknight Member Posts: 962 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    PVP at 60 is just unbalanced in general. Until they impement some sub divisions based on Gearscore or something.
    It will continue to be.

In addition, it will continue to be unbalanced from this point forward unless they implement this now. Else any expansion and raise of level cap will be this way.
  • brandyyyybrandyyyy Member Posts: 70
    edited August 2013
    then again maybe its cause I have a CW that I have a good sense when its a good time to use bull charge on them when I play my GF. I bet for alot of ppl mages just look like pew pew glowy lights wtf. I know when they need time to cast and such. Still I find the reverse is not really true. Having a GF doesn't help me find a good weakness to kill GFs with my mage.
  • abacuserabacuser Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    That is because CW is not good in PVP, unless there is a good team holding off the opponents. Which in itself is sad since everyone is good under the same circumstances.

There is no scenario when an equally geared/skilled CW can stand a chance against a GF, TR or GWF.

The hope for PVP balance in this game is at the moment slim to none. The issues are too big for them to change without a riot.
  • kobrakai2kobrakai2 Member Posts: 147 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    I don't see the problem.

2j2c6c5.jpg
  • fallenjedi29fallenjedi29 Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    ROFL ^^ /10 char
    edited August 2013
    kobrakai2 wrote: »
    I don't see the problem.

2j2c6c5.jpg
    That doesn't say anything about CW. I've had over 30 kills and under 2 deaths. But when I meet a good GWF, TR or GF with skill its game over.
  • thorizdenthorizden Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    abacuser wrote: »

There is no scenario when an equally geared/skilled CW can stand a chance against a GF, TR or GWF.

Well, you're 1/3 correct assuming competent players in both roles. TR's aren't scary and I win (1v1) almost all these encounters. About the only time I lose to a TR is when other players are involved or I'm less than half life already. GWF's I simply move around or Repel out of the way. A regen/HP build can't kill me, but it takes a long time to whittle one down. A well specced GF is simply a CW's kryptonite. Immune to CC much of the time and prone/damage/prone/damage chains will have you very low even if they done get a good chain of Tenebrous procs in.
    edited August 2013
    thorizden wrote: »
    Well, you're 1/3 correct assuming competent players in both roles. TR's aren't scary and I win (1v1) almost all these encounters. About the only time I lose to a TR is when other players are involved or I'm less than half life already. GWF's I simply move around or Repel out of the way. A regen/HP build can't kill me, but it takes a long time to whittle one down. A well specced GF is simply a CW's kryptonite. Immune to CC much of the time and prone/damage/prone/damage chains will have you very low even if they done get a good chain of Tenebrous procs in.
    Not sure what level you are but with 12k+ GS (even if GS isn't reflecting the truth):
    * A good rogue will throw knifes from stealth and even if you time port they still take about half your life. Then the push phase starts, from stealth, with about 6k*3. If you still are alive they come out of stealth immune for 3 sec. This is if they didn't lash you for 50-100% of your ife from start, from stealth. I've checked recordings, frame by frame, when some rogues do lashing and there no way to detect them before you are damaged/dead even with 75 FOV.
    *A GWF is virtually unkillable so no matter what DPS they do they will kill you at the end. They initially use 2-3 prone in a row and when you get out you have about 0-60% life left as a CW. I've seen GWF not attacking for 40 sec with people nuking them none-stop without dying. In fact, they would never die from single person DPS.

If you've never encountered this please post a video when you are playing. Maybe I've missed something vital here.
    ;)
  • thorizdenthorizden Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Not sure what level you are but with 12k+ GS (even if GS isn't reflecting the truth):

11.8 GS, normal Soul Forged, normal Plague Fire, HV set.
    * A good rogue will throw knifes from stealth and even if you time port they still take about half your life. Then the push phase starts, from stealth, with about 6k*3. If you still are alive they come out of stealth immune for 3 sec. This is if they didn't lash you for 50-100% of your ife from start, from stealth. I've checked recordings, frame by frame, when some rogues do lashing and there no way to detect them before you are damaged/dead even with 75 FOV.

You have to be aware of your surroundings and be able to dodge. We can chain three back to back (the only class that can) and you need to have all three so don't waste them for non-combat speed boosting unless you're very confident you're not going to get attacked. In three dodges you can either:
    1) Get out of 40' range
    2) Get back to your party and LoS behind them
    3) LoS behind cover

If you're in a situation where you can't do one of these three things then you've messed up on positioning. By the time the rogue comes over to you (you will take some damage) you need to be prepared to dodge LB. Its not particularly hard, but you do have to pay attention. You certainly can detect them in time to dodge, but the biggest clue is the sound.

A GWF isn't going to kill you nor are you going to kill him unless one of you is playing badly. Trying to go toe to toe with a GWF is a CW playing badly. As you note, it takes multiple sources of DPS and debuffs to take down a well built GWF, but again they're no threat to you unless you're playing dumb. Knock them out of the way and move on unless you have teammates in the area. If you don't, get out of the area until you do. (This is the same for virtually all classes 1v1 with a GWF and they are due an adjustment.)
  • troljtrolj Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 3
    edited August 2013
    thorizden wrote: »
    You have to be aware of your surroundings and be able to dodge. We can chain three back to back (the only class that can) and you need to have all three so don't waste them for non-combat speed boosting unless you're very confident you're not going to get attacked. In three dodges you can either:
    1) Get out of 40' range
    2) Get back to your party and LoS behind them
    3) LoS behind cover

If you're in a situation where you can't do one of these three things then you've messed up on positioning. By the time the rogue comes over to you (you will take some damage) you need to be prepared to dodge LB. Its not particularly hard, but you do have to pay attention. You certainly can detect them in time to dodge, but the biggest clue is the sound.

A GWF isn't going to kill you nor are you going to kill him unless one of you is playing badly. Trying to go toe to toe with a GWF is a CW playing badly. As you note, it takes multiple sources of DPS and debuffs to take down a well built GWF, but again they're no threat to you unless you're playing dumb. Knock them out of the way and move on unless you have teammates in the area. If you don't, get out of the area until you do. (This is the same for virtually all classes 1v1 with a GWF and they are due an adjustment.)

GWFs can and will pursue you when they capped or done doing what they were doing. They have the advantage to sacrifice HP in order to get to you. But their skills are well telegraphed. To be fair CW is not meant to go toe to toe with anyone in this games PvP, much like DC. TRs are a whole lot different matter, standart opening move are daggers and maps offer virtually no places to take cover. Randomly teleporting wont help much, or getting to youre team (works only if they are alone VS you and someone else) once they targeted you. Dodging stealth attacks is more about luck then anything else. Dealing with bad TRs is not hard i am talking about those who will force to use up dodge and then strike. If you meet a skilled GF its plain and simple lights out. Constantly running from encounters will not help you hold points, which CW impressively fails at.

Playing both DC and CW, i figured developers will never make them valid in PvP. It will require to write a separate game almost for PvP portion. If support classes will get a buff in short they will render other characters close to obsolete in PvE. CW much like DC are not useless and in capable hands can do much but will be hopelessly outclassed once they meet someone capable.
  • modimormodimor Member Posts: 198 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    CW is the only class i truely can't deal with as a cleric. I usually have 0-1 deaths when playing against a team without em. Good luck trying to kill a pvp geared Cleric without a CW.
  • honoraryorangehonoraryorange Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    GWF and GF are both easy. A heavy defense/regen based GWF can be difficult or even come to a standstill but if you're dying to them one on one you need to learn to play.
  • conchitobananoconchitobanano Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 74
    edited August 2013
    CWs cc in pvp are useless....
    A GWF goes unstoppable = invincible and when its not unstoppable he is stun locking you and killing you
    A GF holds his little shield up = invincible and when he is not holding his shield up he is charging you stun locking you and killing you
    A TR rolls, goes stealth or Impossible to catch = invincible and when he is not doing all of this he is one shotting you and killing you
    A DC slides or perma healing himself = invincible and if you are lucky he will Hammer of fate (invincible while casting) killing you(this class if the exception tho cause only a highly geared DC can do this, otherwise its the same deal as CW's)
    CW can get stunlock mid blink,take ages to cast something, have absolute no cc inmunity and die in 3 shots (if lucky) cause CW's have virtually almost no defense...
    CW's need a BUFF BAD the game is not balanced like this.
  • modimormodimor Member Posts: 198 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    A GWF goes unstoppable = invinsible and when its not unstoppable he is stun locking you and killing you
    A GF holds his little shield up = invinsible and when he is not holding his shield up he is charging you stun locking you and killing you
    A TR rolls, goes stealth or Impossible to catch = invinsible and when he is not doing all of this he is one shotting you and killing you
    A DC slides or perma healing himself = invinsible and if you are lucky he will Hammer of fate (invinsible while casting) killing you(this class if the exception tho cause only a highly geared DC can do this, otherwise its the same deal as CW's)
    CW can get stunlock mid blink,take ages to cast something, have absolute no cc inmunity and die in 3 shots (if lucky) cause CW's have virtually almost no defense...

Have you tried a different spec, gear setup, change out your skills, coz i've met quit a couple of CW's that have been really hard to kill. The sc end game gear isn't the best option for all the classes.
  • nukeyoonukeyoo Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    A GWF goes unstoppable = invinsible and when its not unstoppable he is stun locking you and killing you
    A GF holds his little shield up = invinsible and when he is not holding his shield up he is charging you stun locking you and killing you
    A TR rolls, goes stealth or Impossible to catch = invinsible and when he is not doing all of this he is one shotting you and killing you
    A DC slides or perma healing himself = invinsible and if you are lucky he will Hammer of fate (invinsible while casting) killing you(this class if the exception tho cause only a highly geared DC can do this, otherwise its the same deal as CW's)

*invincible

sry it was bothering me :rolleyes:
  • conchitobananoconchitobanano Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 74
    edited August 2013
    nukeyoo wrote: »
    *invincible

sry it was bothering me :rolleyes:

unintentional trawl
    modimor wrote: »
    Have you tried a different spec, gear setup, change out your skills, coz i've met quit a couple of CW's that have been really hard to kill. The sc end game gear isn't the best option for all the classes.

Soulforged and armor swapping...
  • mctankypantsmctankypants Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I have to disagree that CW's are worthless in pvp. I've faced a few CW's that made me cry due to the amount of sheer damage they were pumping out.
    edited August 2013
    I have to disagree that CW's are worthless in pvp. I've faced a few CW's that made me cry due to the amount of sheer damage they were pumping out.
    There is no room for CW end game PVP. We can be good as a support class but once anyone focuses us we are doomed.

If we also had stealth and immunity for 3 sec we've had a chance against all but GWF.
  • honoraryorangehonoraryorange Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    There is no room for CW end game PVP. We can be good as a support class but once anyone focuses us we are doomed.

If we also had stealth and immunity for 3 sec we've had a chance against all but GWF.

If that's how you feel then you need to learn to play a bit more.
  • mctankypantsmctankypants Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    @Abacuser, once anyone is focused they're doomed. It sounds more like a team composition issue rather than the class not being good in a pvp setting.
    You have 3 blinks/teleports to get yourself in a better position. I've said this before and I'll say it again. It's impossible to gauge how effective a player is without being able to see his spec/gear and enchantments. When a CW can almost one shot me (10k gs TR) there is little doubt that they can swim with the big fish.
    edited August 2013
    If that's how you feel then you need to learn to play a bit more.
    Do you play a CW?

I play 5-15 hours per day of PVP. I normally win in PVP with the exception of skilled rogues that finishes off to get the kill - i.e. rogue has 20 kills and 3 assists where I have 15 kills and 25 assists. Why do I win? Because in normal PVP most aren't skilled.

If I however face a 13k+ GF solo there is about nothing I can do if that person has skill. I roll my ball, freeze, stunn, port but since I don't have 7 greater tene I cannot get the GF below 40%.

There is noone that can solo a GWF at a certain level since they are broken.

A rogue can kill you without being seen. If seen, they are immune + 2 rolls = stealth again.

If you know something I don't, please post a video. Maybe it's a different game with 7 greater teneb and perfect enchants?
  • eldmorg79eldmorg79 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    first of all.. this is my nubistic opinion...
    are we talking about 5 vs 5 or 1 vs 1 pvp? CW is "control" wizard not 1 on 1 killing machine... CW is ment to help his team, and team have huge advantage with CW or two on their side... CW also can get out of almost any situation alive (if he decide to move back from battle) by controling attackers... in most situation 1 on 1 if i cant kill opponent i will successfully run away from him... on other side, if opponent losing battle 1 on 1 against CW, good CW (against good opponent) will not let him run away...

btw i didnt try all classes yet... is it CW only class that have enough stamina to dodge 3 times?
    Veno Forever <3
    edited August 2013
    @Abacuser, once anyone is focused they're doomed. It sounds more like a team composition issue rather than the class not being good in a pvp setting.
    You have 3 blinks/teleports to get yourself in a better position. I've said this before and I'll say it again. It's impossible to gauge how effective a player is without being able to see his spec/gear and enchantments. When a CW can almost one shot me (10k gs TR) there is little doubt that they can swim with the big fish.
    Focus a GWF as much as you'd like, they don't mind.

I'd say the same about GF. As I've said before, I don't have 7 greater teneb and perfect enchants so that might be the trick?

As for rogue, if you can't see them you can't focus them either. Check out a video from the top rogues if you have doubts.
  • gutbotgutbot Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    meh why even have a second ranged dps class? After all we already have TR's for that.
    Apart from bots, I cant really remember the last time I've seen a TR actually stand toe to toe and melee someone.

CW's are fine. If your copying off "some" of the builds on the forums your going to have a bad time. they are outdated or not viable in pvp. build a spec around your play style (bare in mind the broken feats of course) I went form bottom of Kills to top while playing a build that suited my style of playing.
  • degraafinationdegraafination Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I'd like to give those who play CWs some hope. This is from the Mindflayer PVP tournament. Note the CW gets 2nd in kills in both games vs. Fistful of Zen (one of the tougher PVP guilds on our server).

Also, check out the video. See that the CW solos the GWF not once, but twice, at their home point. He had a sharp rotation of Repel, EF, C. Strike and Icy Rays. He also rocked a very underutilized feat called Severe Reaction, which made him quite mobile. The action in the video starts around 7 mins.

Potpourri 2 vs Guild Breakers 0

Game 1: http://i.imgur.com/PIXTfFv.png
    Game 2: http://i.imgur.com/aqOVdj3.png

VOD: http://www.twitch.tv/honoraryorange/b/440003088
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
    Join Essence of Aggression: PVP-ing Hard Since Beta!
  • zaodonnzaodonn Member Posts: 109
    edited August 2013
    I'd like to give those who play CWs some hope. This is from the Mindflayer PVP tournament. Note the CW gets 2nd in kills in both games vs. Fistful of Zen (one of the tougher PVP guilds on our server).

Also, check out the video. See that the CW solos the GWF not once, but twice, at their home point. He had a sharp rotation of Repel, EF, C. Strike and Icy Rays. He also rocked a very underutilized feat called Steely Defense, which made him quite mobile. The action in the video starts around 7 mins.

There isn't any CW feat called "Steely Defense". That is a GWF feat (gain power = x% of your defense). The only movement boosting power for CW is "Brisk Transport" (gain x% run speed after teleporting).

And the video and screenshots just show what P2W looks like in this game, and how PvP is unbalanced. Not how "good" CW's are in PvP (they aren't).
  • degraafinationdegraafination Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    zaodonn wrote: »
    There isn't any CW feat called "Steely Defense". That is a GWF feat (gain power = x% of your defense). The only movement boosting power for CW is "Brisk Transport" (gain x% run speed after teleporting).

And the video and screenshots just show what P2W looks like in this game, and how PvP is unbalanced. Not how "good" CW's are in PvP (they aren't).

My apologies. Severe Reaction is the feat to which I was referring. Will edit previous post.
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
    Join Essence of Aggression: PVP-ing Hard Since Beta!
    edited August 2013

Also, check out the video. See that the CW solos the GWF not once, but twice, at their home point. He had a sharp rotation of Repel, EF, C. Strike and Icy Rays. He also rocked a very underutilized feat called Severe Reaction, which made him quite mobile. The action in the video starts around 7 mins.

Sure, the CW does a good job but lets be realistic. That GWF isn't even close to end game. First, his def is way too low getting hit that high. Second, his regen is 645 when below 50% - which is about 1000 too low. Hard to say about his HP but I guess he's about 7k off. Also hard to say which weapons he has.