test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Fixes for unable to authenticate

bananamannbananamann Member Posts: 18 Arc User
edited August 2013 in Bug Reports (PC)
So far all of these things combined have shown a ~90% success rate.
1. Flush dns by starting command prompt and typing "ipconfig/flushdns"
2. Reset your router
3. Go into your C:\Users\Public\Games folder and locate the "Cryptic Studios" folder. Right click, go into security and make sure all users in the list have full permissions. Restart your computer after doing this.
4. Run launcher like normal, but disable Patch on Demand and enable Fast Launch
5. Use your E-MAIL instead of username in the username field.
6. Post results.
Post edited by bananamann on

Comments

• bananamannbananamann Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Keep this bumped. I can almost guarantee this will work.
  • ezizualezizual Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I had this issue, but just kept retrying to log in (didn't see this until afterx.x), now I have a 1655mb update, will post later if it works or not, assuming I remember.
  • kiyoniz1kiyoniz1 Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2013
    Still wont completely fix the issue at hand, why?

Because the gateway is still messed up - gateway pretty much is only down when some servers are down.
  • bananamannbananamann Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    After I was done patching a 1900MB patch, I'm in with no problems whatsoever.
  • steelemagnoliasteelemagnolia Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 45
    edited August 2013
    Don't understand why it worked fine this morning and not now and somehow it's my fault.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited August 2013
    . . . . . .This is actually most likely a DNS change issue not registering to one's router/modem properly. In many cases, simply power-cycling your modem(s) and router(s) will do the trick. This is not new to MMO Gaming but has just become more apparent with NWO for some unknown reason. I'm sure the devs are aware if the issue is stemming from their side.
  • squeaksunesqueaksune Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Does NOT work at all.
    Maid ClariS lvl 60 GF
    ClariS lvl 60 DC
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited August 2013
    squeaksune wrote: »
    Does NOT work at all.
    . . . . . Did you try power-cycling your modem and router(s)? Your post came in just under a minute after my reply and a power-cycle takes at least a few minutes when done properly.
  • squeaksunesqueaksune Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    zebular wrote: »
    . . . . . Did you try power-cycling your modem and router(s)? Your post came in just under a minute after my reply and a power-cycle takes at least a few minutes when done properly.

Iv rebooted it 3 times in the past 35mins.
    Maid ClariS lvl 60 GF
    ClariS lvl 60 DC
  • steelemagnoliasteelemagnolia Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 45
    edited August 2013
    bananamann wrote: »
    So far all of these things combined have shown a ~90% success rate.
    1. Flush dns by starting command prompt and typing "ipconfig/flushdns"
    2. Reset your router
    3. Go into your C:\Users\Public\Games folder and locate the "Cryptic Studios" folder. Right click, go into security and make sure all users in the list have full permissions. Restart your computer after doing this.
    4. Run launcher like normal, but disable Patch on Demand and enable Fast Launch
    5. Use your E-MAIL instead of username in the username field.
    6. Post results.

Done all of the above and unable to get in.
  • kirwenkirwen Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Done all of the above and unable to get in.

This is the first time I've had this issue.

I got kicked after finishing the plauge tower quest... and since then today when trying to log in I've had this issue.

Tried dns flush, power router.. ect ect ect. Everything thats listed here. This is the only game I have this issue with.
    edited August 2013
    . . . . . Everyone having this issue, if Power-Cycling your Modem & Router(s) doesn't resolve this: Please make sure to file Support Ticket through the Support link up top any page in this web site.

Power Cycling:
    . . . . . To do a proper power-cycling, shut down all PC's connected to the internet. Unplug your Modem(s) and Router(s). Wait 60 seconds (some modems only take 15-30, but 60 seconds is a safe bet) and then plug in your Modem. Wait for all the lights to do their thing (Ethernet will be inactive, this is ok). Then plug in any Routers and wait for them to power up fully. Your Ethernet connection on your Modem should now be flashing correctly. Now turn on your computers and try to log into the game after your PC fully boots up. In many cases, rebooting the PCs during this shouldn't need to be done, but it can help to resolve DNS issues PC-side also.
  • knohvaknohva Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Well, I put in a ticket because none of this has worked for the "unable to authenticate" error. But before I submitted the ticket it says that the reason for this error is because the servers are down. So which is it. Is it a DNS issue on my end or are the servers down?
    edited August 2013
    knohva wrote: »
    Well, I put in a ticket because none of this has worked for the "unable to authenticate" error. But before I submitted the ticket it says that the reason for this error is because the servers are down. So which is it. Is it a DNS issue on my end or are the servers down?
    . . . . . The server is definitely not down. I've been playing and logging in and out unhindered since my last post. I'm actually in the character creation screen as we speak, making a new character. So sorry for everyone troubles, I am sure they'll get to your tickets and find a resolve for this as soon as possible. Unfortunately, I don't have any information available this late at night.

Please check Ambisinisterr's advice in this other thread on another error, just in case it helps (Re: Client Safe Mode).

edited August 2013
    I put in a ticket, but bummer on losing my Ardent coins. I hope this gets fixed soon.
  • shunsazishunsazi Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    zebular wrote: »
    . . . . . The server is definitely not down. I've been playing and logging in and out unhindered since my last post. I'm actually in the character creation screen as we speak, making a new character. So sorry for everyone troubles, I am sure they'll get to your tickets and find a resolve for this as soon as possible. Unfortunately, I don't have any information available this late at night.

Please check Ambisinisterr's advice in this other thread on another error, just in case it helps (Re: Client Safe Mode).

Happy its working for you, but this made no difference for me. I can't even get to character select now...
  • mjmorningmjmorning Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I am having this same problem. I have tried all the above and links, still no luck. I was using it early yesterday with no issue. Came back later in the eveneing to play again and I got the Unable to Authenticate message.
    On top of the above Ive uninstalled the game, downloaded from a couple different place and re installed it a couple of times. Ive even gone and installed it on anther computer. NO luck.

Any other ideas that I can try. Ive put in a a ticket but that could take days or weeks to get a response.
  • gonkensteingonkenstein Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I, too, am having this problem, and have been for about 12 hours. I Have tried all the steps and put in a ticket, but here's to hoping it starts working soon.
  • kirwenkirwen Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I, too, am having this problem, and have been for about 12 hours. I Have tried all the steps and put in a ticket, but here's to hoping it starts working soon.

used a VPN and could connect just fine. This proves is FIOS related.... this is bs..
  • mjmorningmjmorning Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    So I think I figured out what my issue was and I will explain what I did to fix it. Hopefully it will help someone else.
    I am currently in patching mode which was much further than I was before so at least I am making some headway

Looks like I was a victim of some type of virus/malware that removed BFE and Windows Firewall form my automatic Services.
    So here is what I did to fix it on Windows 7 64bit.

1. Go to the start button and search for services.exe (the one with the gear on ie)
    2. Look for "Base Filtering Engine" and "Windows Firewall" if they are not both there then is your culprit
    3. Navigate to Windows Firewall damaged by 'Windows 7 antivirus 2012
    4. Run those fixes and reg entries
    5. Reboot your pc
    6. Hopefully you can start the patch process after that and you should be good to go.

If you dont have the BFE and Windows Firewall in your services that means you were a victim of a virus/malware. Run you virus scans and malware scans and get you pc cleand up.

I truley hope this helps some people cause I understand how frustrating this is. If this doesn't work post and maybe I can help out.
    But this was my issue and it fixed my problem. So maybe it will do the same for you.
  • knohvaknohva Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    They are both there and I am still getting the Unable to Authenticate error :( Thanks for the solutions notes to try though.
  • raayjdmraayjdm Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Reseting my router did the trick. Funny as I was playing, paused for 1-2h, wanted to come back (wasnt turning off laptop) and boom - problem...