test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

New player - $60.00 Pack Dire Wolf worth getting?

rudedowgrudedowg Member Posts: 1 Arc User
edited August 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Hi all,

Just downloaded the game last night.

I really like the idea of the foundry and so far enjoying the game (I really HATE how combat fixes your character in one spot as he goes thru his animations) - I made a GF.

But I suppose I can suffer thru it - or hopefully get used to it.

I like the idea of having a companion (SWTOR companions are pretty decent imo).

How are the starter pack companions in Neverwinter? I'm not going to spend $200.00 on this game - but I could be convinced to spend $60.00 for the Dire Wolf if he's worth it. It seems as the rest of the items offered are "meh" (please correct me if I'm wrong).

1) Is the Dire Wolf effective - worth it - or should I wait until lvl 16 and get the Cleric companion?

2) Is the $60.00 Pack worth it - or just a bunch of fluff?

Thank you!
Post edited by rudedowg on

Comments

• Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The $60 Guardian pack s a pretty good deal, especially if you are going to play more than one character. The Dire Wolf companion is quite nice, but I only use it on my Clerics, as for the other classes the Cleric Companion is really useful. Also at endgame, people will tend to use Ioun Stone/Cats companions as these don;t die and transfer all their stats to you.

If you can bear using an Unicorn mount I think the $60 Knight of the Feywild pack for the upcoming expansion:

http://nw.perfectworld.com/feywildpack

is better value, though.
  • Options
    tinukedatinukeda Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Welcome to the game, I hope you enjoy it.

I think you'll find some divergent opinions on the value of the packs. Some people will swear that they are filled with useless junk and are just a money grab and other people will find some value in them. I'd say, give the game 2-4 weeks of playing and decide if you're really hooked on it before considering a purchase of that size.

To your points:
    1) I don't know, I've never seen the Dire Wolf in action. Supposedly the best companions are the (expensive) 'augmentation' companions.
    2) To me, having a top rank mount and companion that are account-wide (you get one for every character you make) seems like a reasonably good value. Also, the character slot and 600k AD are good. Much of the rest of that pack sounds like semi-uesful/less fluff though. I have heard that the special weapon you get with it is fairly quickly over powered by random drops.

If you do splurge for the pack, don't go too wild with the AD, hehe!

$0.02
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited August 2013
    . . . . I love both my dire wolf and my panther. It's great to roll a new character and have a companion right after completing the starting mission (have to turn in starting mission with Sergeant Knox first).
  • Options
    cgta1967cgta1967 Member Posts: 86
    edited August 2013
    just remember...you are paying

$60

....think about it.
    edited August 2013
    The companion is a cool factor. With time, there are going to be a lot more interesting companions to have. Besides, you only have 3 active slots for free. You can only bring on one at a time. So, one purple companion will do unless the game environment has changed to the point that each one works better in a different environment. Good if you have several character slot in your account. If you only plan to have one or two, don't bother.
  • Options
    nick1sternnick1stern Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 330 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    tinukeda wrote: »

I'd say, give the game 2-4 weeks of playing and decide if you're really hooked on it before considering a purchase of that size.

Best advice Right there.

No need to rush all packs are optional account wide mounts companions are a nice perk the AD is great and the extra character slot.
    The packs will not go any place anytime soon. Take a little time make an informed decision.

Oh and be sure to play the comment to win forum game.
    I won a Knight of the Feywild Pack that way.
  • Options
    silvergryphsilvergryph Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    These opinions are purely from a PvE standpoint. I don't PvP. I have both the Guardian and Knight of the Feywild packs.

I find the Dire Wolf to be an excellent offensive companion. That being said, offensive companions are of limited use.

I find an offensive companion is good for a Cleric who can let the companion dish out some damage while healing. A Wizard is better off with a tank or a healer. Either of the Fighter types is probably better off with a healer.

But, I really like the Dire Wolf for leveling a Rogue all the way to 60. It's a great way to get combat advantage in lower levels when it is difficult to maintain stealth for very long. At higher levels, the Dire Wolf is basically a nice little extra trickle of damage and provides some distraction and combat advantage when I am not in stealth.

The bad part about offensive pets is that they tend to die quickly. I recommend filling each item slot (Dire Wolf eventually unlocks 2 neck slots and 1 waist slot) with a level 60 item granting as much defense as possible. That's the only stat you care about in items for your offensive pets. Throw more defense into the defensive enchantment slots on them too. You can slot a level 60 item in your companion at any level and you can pick them up in the Auction House for cheap. There is some behind the scenes scaling down that takes place, but it is still much better than an item of your level. Use the 3 offensive rune slots for crit chance and maybe armor penetration.

At level 60, most characters (including Rogues) are better served with a Cat or an Ioun Stone for a companion. But up until around level 30, an offensive pet is still very helpful for any character class.

As far as the other stuff I find having a Rank 3 mount on every character to be incredibly useful. The extra character slot is great. Even if you don't like alts it is extra storage, free AD from invoking and professions and a way to recruit additional profession assets for your main. The weapon you get will see you through to around level 20. As soon as you find a weapon with higher base damage, switch to it.

600K AD is nothing to sneeze at either. That's almost 20 buck at the current ZEN to AD exchange rates.
  • Options
    tcarncetcarnce Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 976 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    no, don`t spend anything.
    don`t get hyped by so called media.
    keep your money, play for free.
    and do some other fun stuf besides neverwinter ;p
    message of an ex addict ;p

might seem fun at first, but there comes a point you won`t like it that much anymore in about 2 or 3 months.
    your choice.
  • Options
    rainfrograinfrog Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Hi, im also new installing the game as i write.
    Dont know if ill play this alot but was just curious after reading a review in a magazine.

I mean im not that into mmo's tbh but still.

greets.
    -rainfrog.
    "nyiiiiiii!"
  • Options
    alecstormalecstorm Member Posts: 142 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    DON'T
    SPEND
    MONEY
    HERE
    Until they really fix the game and put some real end game content.
  • Options
    rhoriangelusrhoriangelus Member Posts: 703 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Pfff. Spend money on whatever you want.

I think the dire wolf pack is decent. You get 110% mounts for all of your current and future characters, plus a purple striker companion for all of them. Most new games would cost about 60 dollars to buy anyway, right? I have it and I think it was worth it. Yeah, the game has problems, but they're more likely to actually keep working on a successful game than they are a game that everyone is refusing to support.

ETA: Although, if you can survive the wait until it's released, the Knight of the Feywild pack might be an even better deal. I'm not positive yet.
  • Options
    lonnehartlonnehart Member Posts: 846 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    tinukeda wrote: »
    I'd say, give the game 2-4 weeks of playing and decide if you're really hooked on it before considering a purchase of that size.

I second this advice. Play the game for a while, then decide after you've played enough if the packs are worth getting. After all, in the end the value of something is ultimately determined by the customer, right?

I also suggest taking your time in the game. Don't rush to get to max level too much (it's very easy to get there) and take in the scenery while you're at it. And then there's the Foundry with new quests coming out all the time... :)
    *sings* "I like Gammera! He's so neat!!! He is full of turtle meat!!!"

"Hah! You are doomed! You're only armed with that pathetic excuse for a musical instrument!!!" *the Savage Beast moments before Lonnehart the Bard used music to soothe him... then beat him to death with his Fat Lute*
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    agree, just experience the failsystems before buying.
    and don`t put your hope on people who make money from this.
  • Options
    goddessuniquegoddessunique Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    rudedowg wrote: »

1) Is the Dire Wolf effective - worth it - or should I wait until lvl 16 and get the Cleric companion?

Thank you!

1. Effective from lvl 1 to 40 then die fast like the rest of the useless companions. So no a waste of money.
    2. No, no and Hell no. You would be better off saving up ad to buy a ion stone not wasting money on an overpriced pack. :)
    Queen of Dragon Server
    Goddess Uniique, lvl 60 DC.
    PinkSugar, lvl 60 CW.
    Baby Cakes, lvl 60 GWF.
    *******, lvl 60 TR.
    Premium Juicebox, lvl 60 CW.
    Pink Exxxtacy, Ranger

There is NO pvp in Neverwinter.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    dont get tricked, all overrated things ;p you don`t need a stone, especialy for this. don`t need to have AD for anything, just let others get rid of their greens instead of having to cary others ;p
  • Options
    aaronjfaaronjf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Hi all,

I really like the idea of the foundry and so far enjoying the game (I really HATE how combat fixes your character in one spot as he goes thru his animations) - I made a GF.

How are the starter pack companions in Neverwinter? I'm not going to spend $200.00 on this game - but I could be convinced to spend $60.00 for the Dire Wolf if he's worth it. It seems as the rest of the items offered are "meh" (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Thank you!
    The best part of this deal is the fast mount on every character on the account. The dire wolf is nice but the mount is imo the best part of the package. You won't be using your dire wolf in later epic dungeons, rather replacing it w/ a stone or cat for stats/no combat aggro. The wolf is fun to use though while leveling up for sure though. Imo, the $60 pack is where it is at. Not to mention the 600'000 ad don't hurt either.
  • Options
    jihancritiasjihancritias Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Like was said before, play for awhile THEN decide. You could buy a stone of allure (20 freakin dollars) that beats the direwolf, get a mount for a couple gold in game (not as fast but you don't need a mount much at end game), and buy zen for ad conversion. That's all you need from it.
    TL : DR? Then don't waste my time responding.
  • Options
    pfft2pfft2 Member Posts: 301 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    aaronjf wrote: »
    The best part of this deal is the fast mount on every character on the account. The dire wolf is nice but the mount is imo the best part of the package. You won't be using your dire wolf in later epic dungeons, rather replacing it w/ a stone or cat for stats/no combat aggro. The wolf is fun to use though while leveling up for sure though. Imo, the $60 pack is where it is at. Not to mention the 600'000 ad don't hurt either.

There's a tier 3 horse available for $25. It's also account wide. (And it looks very similar to the horse in the pack, so there really isn't even much of a subjective argument for one or the other.)

The 600,000 AD is worth ~$17 by current exchange rates.

The included respec is worth $3. The extra character slot is worth ~$2.50.

So basically the question boils down to whether the rest of the Guardian Pack's perks are worth $12.50. Personally, I don't think so, but it's a matter of opinion. There's a lot of fluff in there that some people might enjoy, but it is fluff. On first blush, the starter weapon sounds like a meaningful thing, but the first few levels go by very quickly regardless -- and frankly, feeling even more powerful at lower levels is only likely to make the mid-late levels feel like a punishment. I've heard that the Dire Wolf is among the better Striker companions (if not the best striker companion), but companion AI is so terrible in this game that I have a hard time trusting any companion to be an active combat assistant.

The freebie Cleric is, I think, the best leveling companion. She's useless in a fight, but she tosses you heals that significantly reduce downtime and/or save on potion use.

And after you're finished leveling, the best companions are the augment pets (Ioun Stone/Cat). Given how expensive they are (and they're not account wide), it's hard to justify spending money on any other companion at this point.
  • Options
    melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    i do not regret buying the guardian pack. buying a new game costs about $60 and i would definitely pay that for a game of this caliber. these items will help you initially in leveling your characters... the fast mount is worth it as you run past all the people with slower mounts. i've definitely played and earned well over that initial $60 value. but ymmv.
  • Options
    ratrailratrail Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 130 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    I'll echo the positive comments about the Guardian pack. I'm pleased the have the Rank 3 mount on all my characters, and the epic companion on each new character is a nice bonus too. If you can spare the cash, I'd definitely recommend buying it.
  • Options
    cgta1967cgta1967 Member Posts: 86
    edited August 2013
    I find that you dont need a mount at all in this game.

zone portals are very close to where ever you are, no zone is very big at all..... nothing needs a mount in this game.

For all I can get done in a gaming session....saving a few seconds by jumping on a horse is not gaining me anything.... unless I want to pay a LOT of money for some fluff.

edited August 2013
    The value of the packs only really starts to shine IF you plan on having a number of characters. Anything over 3, get the pack, ANY pack, You'll save a ton. If you only plan to have one main character, or a main and an alt. The packs main feature, account wide unlocks, really gets underutilized and less appealing.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    don`t get tempted about what they say here, you don`t want to pay money for a broken game.
    techside of things is realy low, you ll find out sometime.
    things won`t get fixed also soon, by the time it is, you re bored of the environments.
    if it gets fixed, because they re keeping the investment low, there`s not enough guarantee for them to do so, and keep it low, while trying to look big through media.
    it`s just business, and more then fair if players know, but they can t go around tell these things because it means less people paying.
  • Options
    jaymadiv#8056 jaymadiv Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The max-speed mount for every character on the account is the big prize in the Guardian pack.

the Dire Wolf, is very nice. the knock-back that he does is fantastic, and (for me) generally very well timed. there have been many a time where a enemy was beginning a big red-circle attack only to be knocked back and interrupted by my Wolf.

everything else, /em shrug
  • Options
    kerlaakerlaa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I enjoyed my investment and feel I got my moneys worth. Would I do it again, sure. If you have the money to spend and was thinking about getting some of the freebie items (from pack) via the zen store then ya its worth it.
  • Options
    elilusoeliluso Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Hi all,

Thank you!

Get the 60 buck, get your girlfriend an enjoy a dinner with her !!
  • Options
    satansnemesissatansnemesis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 67
    edited August 2013
    I do not recommend getting the pack. IGN Prime is still giving away the *free* green level cleric companion to all subscribers. The cleric is the most useful companion while leveling up. Go here http://www.ign.com/prime/promo/neverwinter I think it is $6 or $7 to sign up if you are not already a prime member. Get that companion and buy a mount from the Zen store. That will give you an account wide companion and mount. The mount price varies from $5 - $35. Since you already were thinking about getting the pack I would get a 110% speed mount because it will cost a fortune to upgrade later if you decide you want the extra speed. The cheapest is $25, so for about $30 you would have all you need for any character you create. Use the other $30 to buy zen IF you decide you like the game. Transfer that Zen to Diamonds and you will have around 1 million AD. This method will give you a much better start in the game than the pack. You lose out on some of the fluff that you out-level in a few hours and one character slot ($5).

I have the pack and did not get the cleric until I was already lvl 60, so I have used the dire wolf. It is nice but I wish I had the cleric because it is much more useful and made leveling my alts a lot easier. I also use it on my 60 when I solo because I hate using pots unless I have to.

If you can not get the cleric companion, then I would recommend getting the pack because it will be helpful to a brand new player.
  • Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I do not recommend getting the pack. IGN Prime is still giving away the *free* green level cleric companion to all subscribers. The cleric is the most useful companion while leveling up. Go here http://www.ign.com/prime/promo/neverwinter I think it is $6 or $7 to sign up if you are not already a prime member. Get that companion and buy a mount from the Zen store. That will give you an account wide companion and mount. The mount price varies from $5 - $35. Since you already were thinking about getting the pack I would get a 110% speed mount because it will cost a fortune to upgrade later if you decide you want the extra speed. The cheapest is $25, so for about $30 you would have all you need for any character you create. Use the other $30 to buy zen IF you decide you like the game. Transfer that Zen to Diamonds and you will have around 1 million AD. This method will give you a much better start in the game than the pack. You lose out on some of the fluff that you out-level in a few hours and one character slot ($5).

I have the pack and did not get the cleric until I was already lvl 60, so I have used the dire wolf. It is nice but I wish I had the cleric because it is much more useful and made leveling my alts a lot easier. I also use it on my 60 when I solo because I hate using pots unless I have to.

If you can not get the cleric companion, then I would recommend getting the pack because it will be helpful to a brand new player.

This is actually pretty good advice if the promotion is still active.

I have both the Green Tiefling Cleric and the Dire Wolf and I find that the Cleric is better on on all characters apart from the Devoted Cleric. Also at endgame until you can afford a Stone or Cat 'Stat-buffing' companion, the Green Cleric is the best choice for all classes. The Guardian pack is worth $30ish dollars for the rank 3 mount and $17ish dollars for the AD, and the weapon and rest of the stuff aren't really worth another $12 I think.
  • Options
    caelithcaelith Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 66
    edited August 2013
    zebular wrote: »
    . . . . I love both my dire wolf and my panther. It's great to roll a new character and have a companion right after completing the starting mission (have to turn in starting mission with Sergeant Knox first).

This ^

Not to mention the free blue weapon that will last you till atleast level 20.
  • Options
    amadalusamadalus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    aaronjf wrote: »

100% agree. Came to the same conclusion. The wolf is useful leveling and in foundries after that, but not in current epics. The meat of the package is the mount and the bank of AD to get you started.
    @amadalus
    Fidelis ad Mortem
    Loyal to Death
    http://loyaltodeath.enjin.com