test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

New Class(es) Clues?

superventriculesuperventricule Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited July 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Ok so i know everyone has been whining and moaning about Cryptic making a new class, and so far... Nothing. After reading countless threads, i noticed that people wanted a ranger or some kind of elemental role class (shoot fire, control vines etc.) And i agree, a new class would be fun! But in the mean time, instead of doing CN over and over to help Guild mates, i wanted to check out the test server and play Feywild. I was very impressed with the overall time it takes to do some of the quests and really enjoyed it. Sitting here now, after doing the Feywild on 2 toons, I noticed something with some of the mobs that i fought.. (for those of you who have played Feywild any amount, will know these guys as Thorns) and one of their attacks is basically shooting Vines out of their arms. At first i thought "Oh that's cool" then killed the thing lol but after facing countless Thorns I got to thinking, they use nature to their advantage... and it looks really polished, this could be a spell of sorts for an Elementalist type class or ranger even, i don't know but if something like this was to be in a class i wouldn't mind pulling a couple of all-nighters with some guild mates to get a lvl 60 of that class... Now for my next part, kinda small but cool, When you first enter New Sharandar (sp?) you will notice wild deer and other wild animals wondering around and the thought hit me... Ranger animal taming :D and when i went thru the portal i saw all the moon elves with bows and instantly, Legolas came to mind... I don't know if im just paranoid or they are throwing hints at us... Im hoping to hear some news from Cryptic and cant wait to see what they do with the next class. Anyway, let me know down below what you think about the stuff i have pointed out and if what i think could be true :D
Post edited by superventricule on

Comments

• Options
    psychicslugpsychicslug Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Having played many cryptic games this is how they test and work on power sets for there games(yes power sets because its not class abilities its a power set) any way I think you are correct this is what there working on just like the demon fire throwers are warlock types.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited July 2013
    . . . . . It has been confirmed (in podcasts and live streams, just recently too @ 37:30) that they are indeed working on something. They've eluded talking about it though. Also, it's been stated in long past, they they are only limited to adding the classes and races found within the Forgotten Realms, so the list is huge:
    zebular wrote: »
    A forgotten Realms Core Race list would be highly beneficial. Post it or link it if you could
    I tried to find one but a generalized D&D Player Race list one wiki was all I could find.

Classes:
    PHB1: Fighter, Cleric, Rogue, Ranger, Paladin, Warlock, Warlord, and Wizard.
    PHB2: Avenger, Bard, Barbarian, Druid, Invoker, Shaman, Sorcerer, and Warden.
    PHB3: Ardent, Battlemind, Monk, Psion, Runepriest, and Seeker (PHB3 also introduces hybrid classes for Artificer, Ardent, Avenger, Barbarian, Bard, Battlemind, Cleric, Druid, Fighter, Invoker, Monk, Paladin, Psion, Ranger, Rogue, Runepriest, Seeker, Shaman, Sorcerer, Swordmage, Warden, Warlock, Warlord, and Wizard).
    NWCS: Swordmage, Warlock, and Spellscarred.

Races:
    PHB1: Dragonborn, Dwarf, Eladrin, Elf, Half-Elf, Halfling, Human, and Tiefling.
    PHB2: Deva, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, and Shifter.
    PHB3: Githzerai, Minotaur, Sharmind, and Wilden.
    FRPG: Drow, Genasi, Dragonborn, Dwarf, Eladrin, Elf, Half-Elf, Halfling, Human, and Tiefling.
    NWCS: (Racial Variants) Dwarf, Eladrin, and Elf.

All this information comes from my own 4e Rulebooks and not from Wikis. These are Core Rulebooks and not Supplements.

Key:
    PHB1 = 4e Player's Handbook: Arcane, Divine, and Martial Heroes
    PHB2 = 4e Player's Handbook 2: Primal, Arcane, and Divine Heroes
    PHB3 = 4e Player's Handbook 3: Psionic, Divine, and Primal Heroes
    FRPG = 4e Forgotten Realms Player's Guide
    NWCS = 4e Neverwinter Campaign Setting

Have a peek through this thread and this thread and this thread.

. . . . . Just keep in mind, this is 4th edition, so each class has it's own set of Roles, which there are four (Leader, Striker, Defender, and Controller) in effect making each class have up to 4 roles port into Neverwinter Online as game classes. The Control Wizard, for example, is just one role for the Wizard Class, and the only one available in-game, currently.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited July 2013
    There are a lot of spells and abilities enemies use which could be translated into new classes.

If you never noticed there are two weapon fighting drow which are clearly fighters rather than rogues using attack animations which are most definitely fighter inspired.

Balancing is the main driving factor behind class delays IMO. Many of the animations are already there. We'll see them soon enough. :)
  • Options
    notmuchleftnotmuchleft Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Oh for the good old days of D&D v1. Here is the list of classes as I can remember them from the 70's :D

• Fighter (Paladin, Ranger)
    • Cleric (Druid)
    • Thief (Assassin)
    • Monk
    • Bard
    • Magic User (Illusionist)

Sooo much simpler!
    Only two things in this life are infinite. The universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the former. ~ Albert Einstein
  • Options
    dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    My guess is the next class will be based on the Hunter Ranger from the Essentials book, Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdoms as opposed to the archery or two-blade varieties from the first Player's Handbook. Maybe a tab ability that lets them switch between ranged fighting with a bow and melee fighting with a sword. The powers could change effects and even names.
  • Options
    lyfebanelyfebane Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 312 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    they certainly need more classes and soon, none of the classes at present are what I want to really play, though GWF is ok. Mind I would still prefer that they did class starting with basic , say rog, till 30, then adding trickster rogue at 30 as a paragon path with paragon feats then, basic feats and skills being the same till 30. Then add some more paragon paths (basically class) It seems a much better way than starting with an already very specialized class and then trying to specialized it further? SO fighter would have 2 paragon paths (classes), cleric wizard and rog 1, they then could add more paragon feats relatively easy. After this add things like paladin, ranger, warlock, shaman and so on.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] I am not evil, I am just cursed.
  • Options
    ledmonsonledmonson Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    lyfebane wrote: »
    they certainly need more classes and soon, none of the classes at present are what I want to really play, though GWF is ok. Mind I would still prefer that they did class starting with basic , say rog, till 30, then adding trickster rogue at 30 as a paragon path with paragon feats then, basic feats and skills being the same till 30. Then add some more paragon paths (basically class) It seems a much better way than starting with an already very specialized class and then trying to specialized it further? SO fighter would have 2 paragon paths (classes), cleric wizard and rog 1, they then could add more paragon feats relatively easy. After this add things like paladin, ranger, warlock, shaman and so on.

Check out what mechanics Wizards of the Coast created in PDF's of Player's Handbook 1,2,&3, Martial Power 1&2, Arcane Power, Divine Power, Primal Power, and Psionic Power for what you say about Roles, Classes, Builds or Paragon Paths isn't how 4th edition works.