test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Neverwinter Makes You Dumb?

ambrosia10ambrosia10 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
edited July 2013 in Off Topic
So I recently was told that playing games that involve hitting/running/ etc. make you dumber. Apparently, after playing three months with games like this, you lose memory, concentration and thinking skills. Obviously, Neverwinter is one of these games. But does playing this make you any dumber? I'm a straight A student, and I want to be an author someday, so this does effect my life. Some help or insight, please?
Post edited by ambrosia10 on

Comments

• Options
    knarsistknarsist Member Posts: 86
    edited July 2013
    If you believe that, then it's too late to worry about it.
  • Options
    bluedarkybluedarky Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    ambrosia10 wrote: »
    So I recently was told that playing games that involve hitting/running/ etc. make you dumber. Apparently, after playing three months with games like this, you lose memory, concentration and thinking skills. Obviously, Neverwinter is one of these games. But does playing this make you any dumber? I'm a straight A student, and I want to be an author someday, so this does effect my life. Some help or insight, please?

Unfortunately the effects of video games on people will be different from person too person. What I do recommend if you want to ensure it doesn't happen is to control your playtime, so long as it doesn't take over your life and you keep your mind refreshed with other activities from time to time you should be fine.
  • Options
    healhamstahealhamsta Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 572 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013

Tis too late for you now. You has already been assimilated by the system.
    Everyone knows you have to fail school, go through several hardships, & most likely prematurely die before becoming a successful author.
    Delve loot murdered my TR, DC, & GWF. Nerf Plox:
    I know that it sucks to no longer get gear to sell from the Dungeon Delve chest but it was truly overpowered.
  • Options
    ambrosia10ambrosia10 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Gee, thanks for that warm insight.
  • Options
    ekiekiekieki Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Mm ive been told the opposite
  • Options
    knarsistknarsist Member Posts: 86
    edited July 2013
    ekieki wrote: »
    Mm ive been told the opposite

Studies have shown it both ways, which probably means that nothing is going on other than bias. One study alone means nothing, but the media portrays them as if they are scientific discoveries.
  • Options
    walleye31walleye31 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Video games only make you a "couch potato". You are less active since you sit on your rear trying to find gear. So balance the game play with some exercise and your brain will be fine.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    walleye31 wrote: »
    Video games only make you a "couch potato". You are less active since you sit on your rear trying to find gear. So balance the game play with some exercise and your brain will be fine.

Still better than television.
    At least you're actively participating most of the time.

There still be the opportunity cost of playing video games, but that isn't a valid argument since that would be like saying sports makes athletes dumber. (which it doesn't.)
    I know that it sucks to no longer get gear to sell from the Dungeon Delve chest but it was truly overpowered.
  • Options
    raath13raath13 Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    walleye31 wrote: »

Exactly this. In most of the studies where they discuss the "bad" effects of video games, they seem to focus on 1) The violent aspect, and 2) the risk to your physical health.
  • Options
    raath13raath13 Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    healhamsta wrote: »
    Still better than television.

Well, I think it's been proven that TV does indeed make you dumber.

Just look at the current programing for further proof. ;)
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    raath13 wrote: »
    Exactly this. In most of the studies where they discuss the "bad" effects of video games, they seem to focus on 1) The violent aspect, and 2) the risk to your physical health.

Ironically the supposed "adverse health effects" of video games also tend to always apply to desk jobs.

Oh video games are bad for you because you sit for hours.
    Well, most careers involve sitting for hours. Usually almost all of 8 to 5. Derp.
    Oh, your eyes will be damaged from staring at a screen. Well, darn how else is this report/grant request/etc going to get finished?....by typewriter?
    etc, etc.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited July 2013
    There's a common denomonator in most studies which state there's vast negative results from video games:
    Most of the people are biased or have not played video games.

I mean don't get me wrong, there are positives and negatives in every aspect of life. Any food in excess can kill yet even the deadliest materials on the planet, such as mercury, is required for bodily functions.

So when video games are plastered as making people dumber, unhealthy, or emotionally unstable...well...I know it's uninformed because while it can do that to some people and will do that in excess it has not done so to me. In fact it had quite the opposite effect and I can write entire novels on the positive effect video games have had on my life which no person with a PHD could possible discredit unless they themselves had experienced the same situations.

So with that I direct you to one study which I only watch a few days ago which found that most of the common problems "video games cause" are actually opposite from what the study found.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited July 2013
    raath13 wrote: »
    Well, I think it's been proven that TV does indeed make you dumber.

Just look at the current programing for further proof. ;)

My grandparents used to complain I could spend 15 hours in front of a video game...
    While I watched them spend 15 hours in front of a television.

As far as I am concerned the amount of thought, hand eye coordination, teamwork and strategy basically every game requires is far better than simply staring at a screen.

It's very much comparable to them saying "All you do is puzzles, crossword puzzles or sudoku all day!" while they watch TV. There's an obvious winner: the action which requires thought and interaction.

"Video games are mindless" is something that only a person who has never played a game in their life would say. It's to the point that it makes me cringe with rage whenever I see some quote on quote expert taking time out to bash the use of video games rather than television.
  • Options
    savagedeaconsavagedeacon Member Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    To answer to your question you have to answer first to other questions: Do you like to buy at the zen market? Do you think that the prices are fair?When you see an overpriced item do you feel the urge to buy it?Do you believe that an exclusive time limited offer is an exlusive time limited offer?
    If your answer to the questions above is yes then...
  • Options
    undeadcrabbundeadcrabb Member Posts: 544 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I have been playing video games since age of six(I'm 20 btw). Many of them were the action type or hack and slash. I was never considered to be the dumb kid, in fact my learning ability is quite good, my IQ score is around 115, but my memory kinda sucks.
    Folow me on Deviant art! ;)
  • Options
    theretronerotheretronero Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013

I find that total BS. Majority of the games involve hitting/running/etc. I have found nothing different about my intellect, and had no experiences with memory loss and bad concentration/thinking skills after over a decade of playing games like this.
    RetroNero
    Level: ???
    Server: Dragon

Class: Great Weapon Fighter
    Mount: Medium Tiger
    Companion: Gray Wolf