test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A few forum-tips from Grandma (aka "You are not as unique as you think you are")

2»

Comments

• darklock101darklock101 Member Posts: 52
    edited July 2013
    atroxcanis wrote: »
    Ehhhhhhhh, actually, it is technically possible. At 35, I married a woman of 48. She had three children and one of them had a son of some 8 months or so. Yes, my new step-daughter made me a Granpa Ed at a very young age.

It's rarely a good idea, but biologically speaking one can become a parent in the early teens. A 40 year-old could even be a GREAT-grandmother.

PS At 42 I'm another one of the old timers. You kids can stay on my lawn, but only as long as you play nice.
  • wirepaladin1872wirepaladin1872 Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    PS At 42 I'm another one of the old timers. You kids can stay on my lawn, but only as long as you play nice.

I hate to disappoint you but to me you're youngsters. I'm 60 and have been playing computer games since 1974. Played Dungeons and Dragons on an Apollo workstation way back in 1982 as well as Star Trek on a PDP back in 1976.
  • kwequakwequa Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Good.. I'm not the oldest at 58. Atari 800 with a tape drive. Some dungeon exploring game I can't remember. I do remember taking ruby eyes from a statue was a mistake. :D No respawn points btw.

Edit:looking it may have been Temple of Apshai.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • gamblorggamblorg Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    41 year old male gamer here. I remember as a young lad, getting milk and bread from the corner store, then copping a beating from my dad for spending the 40c change on Galaga. I also remember the first games I played on a computer did not come in disc or tape, but as lines of 'peek' and 'poke' code in magazines. You could get three magazines for a few dollars, that was a lot of games and they were better games too that made you think.

I just want to say that no matter how many times I ask youngsters in-game where is the bus to the civic center, no one ever seems to know. And no MMPORG I've ever played sells peach cobbler in-game. These are great injustices, and the developers need to do something about it.
  • uvirith1uvirith1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 124
    edited July 2013
    gutbot wrote: »
    In all those years you've only seemed to master the art of speaking without saying anything.

Every gamer growing older masters that particular art :)
  • dootudootu Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 58
    edited July 2013
    antovaras wrote: »
    Yes those people care, but I have my doubts as to whether all of them are actually thinking the issue through. Far to many of them are purely rants. Laden with insults toward the devs, game and most of the playing populace... plus the obligatory "This game will die" claims. Shucks, saw all that with issue 1 of City of Heroes.

There are ways of showing your care by writing a well considered thoughtful post looking at the situation logicaly (those are the ones the devs will read and take notice of) and there are posts which are full of vitirol and hyperbole (those are the ones which get you ignored). Take you pick and don't blame the devs for making you post the second...

Like it or not (accept it or not), the devs have a vested interested in keeping this game running for as long as possible and by and large do care about the game. Changes will come, some positive and some negative... players will generally focus and obsess on the negative and take the positive for granted

I'd like to reply to you, giving rebuttals, compliments or just general comment to your post, but it seems all my posts get deleted.

I hope you enjoy your time in whatever game you play and I wish all of you the very best. I have moved on like the rest of my friends. I won't not play another MMO, because I think that most players I know see their first MMO experience as the best (DAOC for me). Everything after that game has been a letdown, some more so than others.

Yes this is all my own opinion, I really don't know why people say that, it's obviously their own opinion. I should go cook dinner, i wonder what's on the TV tonight.........

PS: Google "Carl Sagan pale blue dot" if you really want perspective on how important MMO forums are.
  • lyfebanelyfebane Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 312 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Anyone remember MUDs, MUSh and MOOs etc? Ah memories, anyone kill a Iscreamman in hell? Still internet cost alot back then so only play at education establishments. Then internet got abit cheaper with monthly subs! And EQ came out, miss meridan 69 and UO was too expensive! SO EQ was first graphically MMO I played. Then a life of oh and ahs and wow this is great, with occassional swearing at dying, corpse runs and the level I just lost, and where was a helpful cleric anywhere near by.....followed by more swearing when there was not. The epic raiding and top guilding came...I defeated Dragons, Avatars of gods and then bits of actually Gods! I was a God! Then some how some mortal race came along that was tougher than Gods and I thought..thats not right and lost interest and sadly said goodbye to the guildies for somethign new. Not long after that beta WOW came along...It was fun again. I had fun, I leveled, found new guildies, but there was no "end" game as some say, well a few high level dungeons 2 groups could do..then Dire Maul came, still really only a small group though and poeple completed it within...weeks! and complained. The guild I join collapsed. So I spent a few months (i had time on my hand) doing PVP, I got a server first, first shaman (and within the first 10 horde side) on that server to get High Warlord...it sucked hard those last 2 weeks it was like work, you had to log on earlier and end late to get the honour! and put me off PVP. But man did I look cool. The another guild and Molten Core appeared, epic raiding again! End game "arrived?" and so on and so forth with an occasional change in guild through lets see 4? 5 expansion till I lost interest.

Then here, after a few looks at other stuff that did not really catch my attention.

Yep been there, done that, seen alot... though not all. I see many similarities with the complaints, types of post etc. And constructive post with actual numbers and maths always worked far better than the rage post, but then sometimes you just have to let of steam. And things would change, but only if the devs found that their number comfirmed things, even though sometimes their numbers where wrong (bugs and things). And that is it, they have there numbers , facts they see and that is what they tend to act on.

Any way....

What was I talking about?:rolleyes:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] I am not evil, I am just cursed.
  • nightspiritgnightspiritg Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I'm a 51yr old male,my sons a gamer with all the systems since ps1 and my granddaughters starting with WII,this is my first online game and I really love it,maybe it's because of being my first experience with it,I played Baulders Gate and Neverwinter Nights on my PC's for years and saw the add for this in beta and decided to try it just because of the name,(I've always loved all things fantasy ever since I started reading in first grade).I get off work at 6am and my kids think it's funny seeing my playing when they get up in the mornings.There is a lot I don't know but I am slowly learning,the chat confuses me when I'm reading it but I'm learning what things mean,I don't understand the rage and hating though as I said I love this game,maybe it's because I don't have all the years of experience as others,I may not be good at it yet but I have lots of fun and it gives my something to do after losing my wife to cancer a few years ago.Hopefully it will always be fun for me,don't know why I typed this,never do,maybe just waiting for server to come back online.Have fun.
  • selaralselaral Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I agree with pretty much everything you've said. Developers do the read the forums and while you may not get reply, they do sit and try to understand what is going on. However, rage threads do nothing. Developers enjoy information, proper feedback.

Don't like how something is working and you notice the numbers are off? Do the math! I used to enjoy theorycrafting in another large game which I am sure everyone has heard about. I worked with a single class, single spec. If something didn't seem right with a new patch update, me and others would crunch the numbers and show them to the devs. The devs listened and altered the patches as needed. They loved this type of feedback so much that many of us had developer's personal emails. It helped make the class great, even through nerfs the spec had received.

In short terms, if you want to provide feedback and actually have it looked at; make it proper! Numbers, ideas of alternatives (not just not give the nerf or buff) and simulations (I haven't been theorycrafting much in NW so I cannot say if there is or is not a simulation program out yet). You can even try to break down your combat log by fighting mobs or other players. I suggest going the naked approach when doing this but keep in mind your stats you have picked to figure it all out.

That is my two copper anyway. I am sure people will reply that the game is meant to be fun and nerfs are not fun. Understandable, but if there is an imbalance, devs will do their best to fix that imbalance to make it fun for all!

Multiple Personas, only 'One' me
    "Why should one devolve themselves to try and entertain those of a lesser mindset around them?"
  • raddatackraddatack Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    First of all, you're not a grandma...yet.

second...I wish you were my grandma. My grandma doesn't even know how to start a microwave oven.

I became an uncle at the age of 14-15. So at her she could be a grandma.
    search%3Fq%3Ddungeons%2Band%2Bdragons%2Blogo%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=dungeons+and+dragons+logo&usg=__h0EtYmMBvby3i0RqIk3wKubdfTU=&docid=2eAJThLCmGZbCM&sa=X&ei=35r_Uac9ldzgA9fsgJgJ&ved=0CC4Q9QEwAA&dur=295
  • maisaanmaisaan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 166
    edited July 2013
    Your never to old to mmo and our alliance prove that.
    Since it was created in 2005 we have had an age minimum of 30 years and have had thousand of players coming and going.
    Our oldest member, that I know of, were 74 years back in 2007, I don't know how old our oldest member is now.

I know there are other alliances/guilds/community's like this, with a high age requirement, and we have all seen all of this many times and only a few can be bothered to be active on the official forums.
  • arinathosarinathos Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    43 year old here, with wife and kids and far less time to game than I used to have. Thanks OP for the thoughts. Forums seem to bring out the worst in people when you don't have to say the same thing to someone standing in front of you.