test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

'Owlbear' server??

untamedengineer#6733 untamedengineer Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 100 Arc User
edited August 2014 in Bug Reports (PC)
Been on vacation for the last week and when I start patching the game I am now seeing the option for 'owlbear' along side of Neverwinter and Neverwinter Preview. Any clues as to what this is? When I selected the option is started a 5.5 GB patch.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    kethiankethian Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I just saw it too - I just got access to the preview server a couple hours ago and Owlbear wasn't there then, so it's pretty new. Whatever it is, it's not available yet - I tried logging in. Guess we'll find out soon!!
  • Options
    zurkhonzurkhon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 390 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Owlbear was the Alpha server if i remember correctly. Perhaps they are Aplha testing the Feywilds module.
    "Beware the engineers of society, I say, who would make everyone in all the world equal. Opportunity should be equal, must be equal, but achievement must remain individual."

- Drizzt Do'Urden
    ― R.A. Salvatore
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Perhaps, its the Dev only testing shard. All Cryptic games have a hidden back shard for dev testing, before things get pushed to the preview shard. And some glitch is allowing it to be seen.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited July 2013
    Sounds like a bug to me because Owlbear was indeed one of the Alpha Testing Shards.

Moved to Bug Reports. Not sure if it is but it's my best guess. :)
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I ported my TR over to Mimic tonight to check out the changes firsthand and copied him to Owlbear as well when I saw the option, just to see what would happen. While he didn't show up in the character list, I was able to create a new character on Owlbear, which I did not playing beyond successfully loading into the tutorial area because I have an agenda examining the TR changes and stuff.

But if anyone wants to explore... it does seem to be open, for some reason.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    kethiankethian Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I was able to copy my character to Owlbear and looked around a little bit. It looks like currently it's a preview server without the Feywild stuff added in.
  • Options
    xpertzxxxxpertzxxx Member Posts: 96
    edited July 2013
    Played until i got to PE. There was a couple of lvl 5's and a lvl 60 there - no one would talk.
    Wtf is a Molon Labe?

- Tiduss -

(OoS)
  • Options
    agentjasporagentjaspor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Maybe we'll get some of the new Foundry stuff on Owlbear while the main Feywild stuff goes on Mimic? Wild (hopeful) speculation of course.
  • Options
    huckasevenhuckaseven Banned Users Posts: 470 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    in the launcher i have the option not only to choose Neverwinter and Neverwinter Preview but also Owlbear....but what is that?
    going by the folder it downloaded it has something to do with beta but beta is over, so....
  • Options
    shaiithdalharshaiithdalhar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It was an alpha testing shard. The bug has been reported.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited July 2013
    Owlbear was indeed an Alpha Test Shard. Not sure why it showed up now as an option but my educated guess is it is merely a bug. :)

*Merged with the existing thread*
  • Options
    adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    My guess: Owlbear is what will go in next patch - preview is stuff still under development (Feywild)
    Hoping for improvements...
  • Options
    savagedeaconsavagedeacon Member Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Owlbear was indeed an Alpha Test Shard. Not sure why it showed up now as an option but my educated guess is it is merely a bug. :)

*Merged with the existing thread*
    I don't think it is a bug, if it was why everything is working correctly in it?You can create new characters, you get your founder packs if you had bought one ( and the founder packs were way after the Alpha Stage ), you do your quests without any problem.
    In fact you could consider it a fourth server so far like gaming is concerned.
    Maybe instead of merging the three server in one they are planning to open another one?:D
  • Options
    stev2510stev2510 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    adinosii wrote: »
    My guess: Owlbear is what will go in next patch - preview is stuff still under development (Feywild)

You're right it's exactly the same as star trek online.
  • Options
    sycholicsycholic Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    guess you dont know what a bug means when its a alpha server that you are NOT supposed to be seeing... no-one said the bug was involving what was in world. Just being able to see and access it is what they are talking about...
  • Options
    angelxeyeangelxeye Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1
    edited July 2013
    I dont know why it is here- but it was fun to start a toon there. This would be a great shard to give all the people who wanted to start from scratch a chance to do so - maybe some of the zen back (as was requested after caterday) and it would be ready to go.
    :):D;)
  • Options
    ryvvikryvvik Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 966 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    hope its the pvp server, so we can have our non rooted combat back, as shown in the original class videos
  • Options
    s32ialxs32ialx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say Owlbear is the (at least temporarily) patch test server for none feywild patches. Since selecting Owlbear patches to NW.3.20130701a.9 which is now live... and Neverwinter Preview (Mimic) patches you to NW.5.20130714b.3
  • Options
    ceryndrionceryndrion Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    For those who can remember back a couple of months -

Star Trek Online has 3 shards that are avaliable, though most of the time, only two are in use.. first of all, is Holodeck, which is the main, live shard. Then comes Tribble, which is the primary Preview shard, and finally there is Redshirt, which is an alpha server, that is rarely used. However, during the build up to Legacy of Romulus, where it was necessary to be testing two development streams at once (weekly patches and fixes, and the expansion patch). It made sense to have one on one shard, and one on the other..

I would suspect that the same could be true for Neverwinter, where Mimic is our main preview shard, and owlbear will now be used as a secondary shard when the devs feel the need for two distinct development trees.
    I reject your reality and I substitute my own!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My opinions are my own, and do not represent those of Perfect World Entertainment, or Cryptic Studios
    [ Rules of Conduct - Terms - FAQ - Support Centre - Important Stuff ]
  • Options
    dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Yeah, that seems to be the use.

It now has the patch that is scheduled to go to the live servers later today. Also the character transfer page lists it as an option to transfer characters too.
  • Options
    s32ialxs32ialx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    ceryndrion wrote: »
    For those who can remember back a couple of months

:) You know what they say about Assuming... :P Makes an ... out of u and me, I've never really played STO... couldn't get in to it tried it once a whilllle back and that was it so this duel patch server is new to me and i was guessing at that :).

But I guess I was right ;D

Any Idea on when I can change my forum title to my KotF title?
  • Options
    kingculexkingculex Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It could be glitch or a second preview shard. I was able to transfer my lvl 60 TR and look around. The foundry was blank with no foundry quests and Gauntlgrym was missing. Players will not know for sure until an announcement is made or the shard vanishes.
    Every class has advantages and disadvantages. Learn the disadvantages of you class to overcome them. Learn the advantages of your class and the disadvatages of other classes to use them in pvp to win.

There is no point to whine for nerfs because you win some and loose some. Crying just makes a player look like a crier and no one, especially the devs, should take them seriously. Have a nice day!:)
  • Options
    balthezar2balthezar2 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 151 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Whatever it is, I tried it with a TR, and the nerfs that are in preview are not in there. So apperently it isn't the same as preview without GG and Feywild.
  • Options
    savagedeaconsavagedeacon Member Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    balthezar2 wrote: »
    Whatever it is, I tried it with a TR, and the nerfs that are in preview are not in there. So apperently it isn't the same as preview without GG and Feywild.
    This is good. Let us hope that Owlbear is a permant feature so we will know were we can go to escape the nerfs :p
  • Options
    liamhendryliamhendry Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Please note that copying a character to NeverwinterPreview will not affect your character on the Neverwinter live shards in any way, and certain account features (such as buying and spending Zen) are not available on NeverwinterPreview.

For those who are wondering what the difference is between "NeverwinterPreview" and "Owlbear":
    Owlbear is what will go in next patch. Preview is stuff still under development (Feywild and other future content)

;)
  • Options
    draquonmagedraquonmage Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Maybe we'll get some of the new Foundry stuff on Owlbear while the main Feywild stuff goes on Mimic? Wild (hopeful) speculation of course.

I tried making a Foundry on Owlbear today (Aug 8/14) and it locked without opening. Started a new character there, though mostly seems I'm playing by myself. I don't know about Feywild yet - character is only L19 ... Just sayin'.
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Owlbear isn't even online most of the time. It is available only for testing weekly maintenance patches when Mimic is in use for long-term testing of major content changes/additions.

Don't waste any more time trying to play there.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    cayappcayapp Member Posts: 826 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Here is the scoop....Owlbear is a mirror of live as it is today. It is used to test stuff going on live when preview is being used for a big release. Since preview is being used for mod 4, they need a testing server for stuff going to live before the big mods.

Hope that helps.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Wow, what a necro. Yeah the Owlbear Shard is brought up as a preview for the live shard changes while new module content is on the preview shard.

Thread closed for necromancy.
This discussion has been closed.