test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

I don't really play it anymore...

shaiithdalharshaiithdalhar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 5 Arc User
edited July 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I'm bored with the game that I tried very hard to enjoy. I'm looking forward to the expansion, and plan on giving it an honest try. I sincerely hope that I'm not left bored, or regretting further purchases.

After reaching level cap with a couple classes and outfitting them, I seem to have fallen into the habit of only logging in once every couple weeks. I log in, check new content, maybe farm a bit, *possibly* catch a pvp match, then log out for at least couple more weeks. I'm bored, it feels like maintenance. Something is lacking. The game starts to feel a bit like an unmotivated drive toward consumerism. Behind nostalgic graphics and concepts the feeling disappears. Sorry :(

The feeling of monotony could perhaps be shed by making the game cross-platform? This is likely out of reach, but I think that I would log in more frequently to an Android/iOS version of the game. I know the Tegra 3 hasn't caught up with the GeForce yet but... it's pretty amazing what what new high end tablet games are doing. I don't think games like this are far off from reaching tablet gamers.

I don't have any profound suggestions, and I hope for the best with Neverwinter. I'll keep checking in, and continue supporting for the time being at least.

TL;DR:
Maybe it's just me, but I'm losing interest. Keeping up with Neverwinter feels more like a chore than fun; like visiting grandma at the nursing home :(

I've felt this way for a couple months, but I hope that changes with the coming updates.
Sorry for being a bummer, and thanks in advance for not trolling...
Post edited by shaiithdalhar on

Comments

• Options
    alantiaalantia Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Take a break, maybe you will feel like playing after a break.
    It is what it is:cool:
  • Options
    kevinf08kevinf08 Member Posts: 432 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Maybe it's just me, but I'm losing interest. Keeping up with Neverwinter feels more like a chore than fun; like visiting grandma at the nursing home :(

Not just you!
  • Options
    baddumtssbaddumtss Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It's not just you. The game is just boring and repetitive. There is no real end-game content, dungeons are the same EVERY time you run them... Kill mobs in the first room> run to second room, throw mobs off cliff > go to the boss room, nuke boss. Alway's the same! Entire guilds quitting because they are bored and tired of the game and problems.
  • Options
    kimmurieloblodrakimmurieloblodra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    snip

Definitely not just you. I was a hardcore fanboy, defended this game tooth and nail, and I'm ashamed that I did. I used to play every day 4+hours, then I logged in once a day to get coins MAYBE run a dungeon. Then just coins/crafting. Then just gateway for crafting.

And now, I haven't even bothered with crafting for over 2 months. I log on to the forums to see if anything has been fixed, it hasn't, but there's always new stuff in the Z-store.

In my opinion, this was probably the worst failure of an online game that I have ever witnessed.

I have just thoroughly become completely bored with the game at the moment. People saying "this game is fine" and pouring cash into the z-store is what ultimately killed this game. Trust me, the last thing I WANT to do is bash the game, but in its current state, not pointing out the glaring flaws is bad for the game's future.

Either way, I've been around to see the population die, and if 25% of the initial open beta population still actively logs on, I'd be surprised.

Proof is in the pudding: this game is steadily declining in player-base.
  • Options
    cipher9nemocipher9nemo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Stop doing dailies. That will tell you whether you enjoy the game or are just grinding.

If you've stopped for a few days and still want to log back in to play, then congrats, you're still enjoying it. If not, there are too many other games out there to enjoy instead. :)

And if you want to enjoy Neverwinter again, get involved in the Foundry. Play UGC, make UGC, and all of a sudden those dailies will seem unimportant.
    cipher_jitn_sig.png
    Hammerfist Clan. Jump into the Night: NW-DMXWRYTAD
  • Options
    nikitaoznikitaoz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 149 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    I'm bored with the game that I tried very hard to enjoy. I'm looking forward to the expansion, and plan on giving it an honest try. I sincerely hope that I'm not left bored, or regretting further purchases.

After reaching level cap with a couple classes and outfitting them, I seem to have fallen into the habit of only logging in once every couple weeks. I log in, check new content, maybe farm a bit, *possibly* catch a pvp match, then log out for at least couple more weeks. I'm bored, it feels like maintenance. Something is lacking. The game starts to feel a bit like an unmotivated drive toward consumerism. Behind nostalgic graphics and concepts the feeling disappears. Sorry :(

The feeling of monotony could perhaps be shed by making the game cross-platform? This is likely out of reach, but I think that I would log in more frequently to an Android/iOS version of the game. I know the Tegra 3 hasn't caught up with the GeForce yet but... it's pretty amazing what what new high end tablet games are doing. I don't think games like this are far off from reaching tablet gamers.

I don't have any profound suggestions, and I hope for the best with Neverwinter. I'll keep checking in, and continue supporting for the time being at least.

TL;DR:

I've felt this way for a couple months, but I hope that changes with the coming updates.
    Sorry for being a bummer, and thanks in advance for not trolling...

It does gets stale because you've done all or almost everything you wanted.
    I just move to something else. I will come back later to check stuff.
    But there are many other games I haven't got time to check yet so I am jumping around there.
  • Options
    lsyalsya Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Stop doing dailies. That will tell you whether you enjoy the game or are just grinding.

If you've stopped for a few days and still want to log back in to play, then congrats, you're still enjoying it. If not, there are too many other games out there to enjoy instead. :)

And if you want to enjoy Neverwinter again, get involved in the Foundry. Play UGC, make UGC, and all of a sudden those dailies will seem unimportant.

That's a very good idea. I too am having a hard time feeling motivated to play. I think I'm going to focus on the foundry.
    L'sya Raiya
  • Options
    rsheartsrshearts Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 51
    edited July 2013

That's my Neverwinter experience for the last couple weeks. I do that once when I get home from work, and again before I go to bed.
  • Options
    xellizxelliz Member Posts: 955 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Pretty sure this is a result of no-lifing to the end of the game. This is happening to all MMO's. People have become so jaded with a game that actually makes them work for something and actually takes time that developers are forced to create cupcake games. However, that just means instead of people steamrolling the game in 1-3 weeks, they do it in 1-3 days then complain that they've done everything.
    Foundry - Fight Club? (nw-dluqbofu7)
    - JailBreak (in development)
  • Options
    nikitaoznikitaoz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 149 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    xelliz wrote: »
    Pretty sure this is a result of no-lifing to the end of the game. This is happening to all MMO's. People have become so jaded with a game that actually makes them work for something and actually takes time that developers are forced to create cupcake games. However, that just means instead of people steamrolling the game in 1-3 weeks, they do it in 1-3 days then complain that they've done everything.

Nah. Not all the time. There are peeps who play casually and at the top see the same treadmill.
    Do some runs, get some gear and that's it.
    Min-maxers and elitists are a dying breed.
  • Options
    rsheartsrshearts Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 51
    edited July 2013
    Yeah I played VERY casually. Even when I prayed/craft-swapped every day, I didn't play every day. And yet I still blew through all content in just a few weeks. Got a 2nd char to 30 as well (now she's leveling as a result of the pray-crafts lol).

I am not a min-maxer. I am not a 12-hr stint gamer. I play(ed) a few hours after work on the nights I did. I don't do PvP, Skirmishes, or Dungeons. Simply by doing the story you can max "stupid-fast."

It was something that was brought up again and again - the leveling is just plain too fast in this game. Ok, 'imo' hehe.
  • Options
    apokalupsis2012apokalupsis2012 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 123 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    +1 op.

I have 5 level 60's, 1 of each class, all outfitted in T1 purps (save a few item exceptions). I agree also that there is more of a focus on ways to spend money than actual content and fixes for the game, indicating a lack of leadership in the creativity department, or too much leadership by the pencil pushers.

I used to log on just for daily prayer and crafting...but after missing 1 day due to rl issues and having lost 5 coins on all toons....having to start over...got my perspective back and realized I'm doing it just because I felt I should (out of habit maybe?) and not for any "fun factor" reason.

Crafting is underwhelming and isn't on the same pace as character leveling. PVP is one of the worst (IMHO) in the mmorpg genre with a complete lack of variety (modes, features, maps, rewards, etc...).

I will probably roll the new class (assuming one is coming) w/ the new expansion and play through the new content...but I know that I will complete it all and level to 60 w/i 2-3 weeks. And since there is no level cap increase....after that 2-3 weeks, I'll put the game down again...waiting for the NEXT expansion.

I've learned my lesson after spending about $100 on the game over the past few months that this is NOT a game worth spending money on. There is no actual end-game content...there is nothing to do but grind out the same tired dungeons over and over again or play the same couple of maps with 5 players in pvp over and over again.

I figure I simply have beaten Neverwinter...the first mmorpg that I've never felt that way.

Lack of content + HUGE FOCUS on nickel and diming the customer for things that ought to be game essentials = quickly bored and disappointed experience.
  • Options
    ganukganuk Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    My biggest issue has been the game feels unfinished.

I understand its still early doors but the lack of classes and paragon paths seem to be a big issue.

1 tank which isn't really needed in most dungeon groups
    1 healer
    No proper ranged class ie hunter/ranger
    No proper caster dps just a class who throws adds off ledges

No doubt i will try Neverwinter again when more come but after seeing a thread somewhere which said end of the year for another class i was hugely disappointed. Cya in 6 months to a year then....
  • Options
    tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Little bored as well. Just idling when I'm logged in, talking to guildies...occasional dungeon. Finished leveling Platesmithing to L20, Leadership is at 17 and leveling Alchemy, Leatherworking and Tailoring on alts. Just sort of waiting for Feywild to inject some life back into NW.

I've be playing other games for the past week with the gateway open much more than playing NW.

I still have fun, but only when playing with friends. Solo questing and pugging is dead to me right now.
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • Options
    apokalupsis2012apokalupsis2012 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 123 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Another thing to consider....NW has around 400 quests with each player doing around 200-300 max. This is extremely low even for a beginning mmorpg (wow had a few thousand when it started (obviously divide that in 2 for the 2 factions), it now has around 20,000 total; Rift has even more apparently). So either more quests would be necessary to add in to allow a slower approach to leveling...or given the # of quests available, it had to accommodate allowing the player to reach the cap....and Cryptic chose the latter.
  • Options
    tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Another thing to consider....NW has around 400 quests with each player doing around 200-300 max. This is extremely low even for a beginning mmorpg (wow had a few thousand when it started (obviously divide that in 2 for the 2 factions), it now has around 20,000 total; Rift has even more apparently). So either more quests would be necessary to add in to allow a slower approach to leveling...or given the # of quests available, it had to accommodate allowing the player to reach the cap....and Cryptic chose the latter.

The problem was that it was too accommodating. I hit L60 halfway through Rothe Valley because I was also doing most of the dailies.
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • Options
    kaelisakaelisa Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Same. Tried this game for a few weeks since I like the lore I didn't have anything else going. Got a character to cap, tried some epic Dungeons, did a bit of PvP and than stopped logging in. Same for the roughly 5-6 people (old guildies) I tried this game with.

This game is a lot of fun between level 1-59. I will give them rep of that. Many regions are nicely design, many solo quests offers a challenge, unlike in other online games where levelling is sort of brain dead. You can also level from doing PvP and other features, again props. So many play styles are supported, you dont have to solo quest all day long to gain levels.

But its really not much fun (for me at least) to play at cap. You have this utterly disgusting imbalance in PvP, that you only find in Perfect World games. Spend a irl money, pick OP class number 1 or 2 and dominate. I did not sign up for that. Dungeons are all identical and consists of controlling the trash, exploit and short-cut your way to the end, slide around red circles and pray you are targeting the right thing, Did not enjoy.

Still thankful, we had a lot of fun for a few weeks and it was free. Time to move back to main game.
  • Options
    xellizxelliz Member Posts: 955 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    rshearts wrote: »
    Yeah I played VERY casually. Even when I prayed/craft-swapped every day, I didn't play every day. And yet I still blew through all content in just a few weeks. Got a 2nd char to 30 as well (now she's leveling as a result of the pray-crafts lol).

I am not a min-maxer. I am not a 12-hr stint gamer. I play(ed) a few hours after work on the nights I did. I don't do PvP, Skirmishes, or Dungeons. Simply by doing the story you can max "stupid-fast."

It was something that was brought up again and again - the leveling is just plain too fast in this game. Ok, 'imo' hehe.

Don't get me wrong, I completely agree with the fact that this game is super easy mode to level. I am not disagreeing with that, but what I meant was more about MMO gamers in general then about a specific NW player. This game, I believe, is a direct result of the combination of no-lifers as well as carebear gamers. The casuals want things to not be ridiculously out of reach, where as the carebears want everything now. So as developers craft things to be more and more instant gratification for the majority of gamers, the no-lifers blast through content in a matter of days while everyone else only take a couple of weeks. Now most people are left complaining about being bored.
    Foundry - Fight Club? (nw-dluqbofu7)
    - JailBreak (in development)
  • Options
    thepresident777thepresident777 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    /signed

99% of my NWO game playing is logging in for crafting and I'm getting tired of that too. It's a clunky game and I HATE clunky.

I play Warframe regularly. The mechnics are fluid, immediate, fast. I don't care if a game is space magical or mideval magical. It's the feel of the game's mechanics that matter to me. NWO feels sluggish to me.
  • Options
    darksxdarksx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 198 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    kevinf08 wrote: »
    Not just you!

Same here, I’ve gotten to the point where its no long a fun game anymore. If this game had a true open world feel to it where you could endlessly explore it. the it would be a lot more fun. But all I do is log in, Evoke, log out. That’s my chars destiny, an evoke *****!
  • Options
    chrono0812chrono0812 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 501 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Time for a break, once a game feels like a choir it's time to put it on hold and find something else to play. I log into the forums, but I haven't logged into the game for a little over a month. Granted I'm not really playing any online game at the moment, I seem to be stuck not really wanting to play any games even on my xbox 360 or ps3.
    Death_knight.jpg

Life is a dream for the wise, a game for the fool, a comedy for the rich, a tragedy for the poor.
    ~Sholom Aleichem
  • Options
    goddessuniquegoddessunique Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Not troll, absolutely bored. If you took the time to look, you'll see that I've been here for almost a year. I took the time to write guides, help around in the community, hype up the game, etc...

The fanboys saying "this game is fine" and pouring cash into the z-store is what ultimately killed this game. Trust me, the last thing I WANT to do is bash the game, but in its current state, not pointing out the glaring flaws is flat out blind fanboy-ism OR you poured over 200$ in the cash shop and you don't want to feel like you wasted your money on a dead game.

Either way, I've been around to see the population die, and if 25% of the initial open beta population still actively logs on, I'd be surprised. You can say troll all you want: you weren't here for the hype. This game had at LEAST 5x more traffic in-game and in-forums during OB.

Proof is in the pudding: this game is steadily declining in player-base.

I been here since OB too and it was the funnest time ever, I really enjoyed my time UNTIL i hit lvl 60 and it was like a gut punch and you wake up and see there's nothing else to do lol The game had soooo much potential, they could have went so many different directions and been maybe the #1 mmo ever but they figured making money was more important then making a good video game. Or even making the game to be honest, many people don't even know the game was released not even 20% complete. When i google searched dnd 4th edition, I was instantly sad because THIS is nothing like it.
    Maybe their development team are a bunch of amateurs that never coded a video game before and are overwhelmed which could explain why most of the bugs and exploits from OB are STILL in the game.:(
    Queen of Dragon Server
    Goddess Uniique, lvl 60 DC.
    PinkSugar, lvl 60 CW.
    Baby Cakes, lvl 60 GWF.
    *******, lvl 60 TR.
    Premium Juicebox, lvl 60 CW.
    Pink Exxxtacy, Ranger

There is NO pvp in Neverwinter.
  • Options
    kilaukkilauk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 32
    edited July 2013
    rshearts wrote: »

That's my Neverwinter experience for the last couple weeks. I do that once when I get home from work, and again before I go to bed.

This guy! he is me! OMG! and: 1111!

Edit:

Sorry. Some method to the madness: I love Forgotten Realms, i loved NWN 1 (2 not so much but it was a nice game) and was hoping to get some of that back in NW. However, this is not the case for me. Its all there at first glance: the names of the area's, the classes and races... but it feels pasted on a demo of a game. The mechanics are technically nice, but the content is just not there. Not enough classes, no character building (cross-classing etc), no implementation of skills, emotes are just tells, besides combat there is not much to do. And the zone chat is 90% WTS/WTB/LFG,

Oh and the prices. Even though this game is a quick snack while i wait for a better game (unfortunately), and i would like to spend something on it, the value for money is just ridiculous.
  • Options
    shaiithdalharshaiithdalhar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I been here since OB too and it was the funnest time ever, I really enjoyed my time UNTIL i hit lvl 60 and it was like a gut punch and you wake up and see there's nothing else to do lol The game had soooo much potential

I completely agree, and feel the exact same way.

Also it makes me kinda sad :(
  • Options
    nephtnepht Member Posts: 5,826 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I have found a new game that might make things more fun for you. Scaring noobs. What you do is hide in dark places with a control wiz then use the tele dash thing to suddenly appear behind players. Have gotten a few WTF's so far :P
  • Options
    skalt112skalt112 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    alantia wrote: »
    Take a break, maybe you will feel like playing after a break.

Taking a break hardly ever works. Most people who take a break tend to drift off if gaming is a primary hobby.
  • Options
    jihancritiasjihancritias Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    xelliz wrote: »

Not in everyone's case. I took my time, leveled three toons to 60, TAKING MY TIME. I ran dungeons, did foundries, pvp-uke, helped other players, crafted for no reason, etc. I just see the game for what it is; empty. There isn't enough to keep people interested, unless you like creating foundry missions, or like repetition. It's almost a single player, purely linear game, that doesn't deserve more than $60 thrown at it. So I quit playing as well. I haven't logged in for a week, and am extremely happy. I don't miss it at all. I do read the forums though, just to see the rage posts about nerfs and how horrible the game is.

I was hoping that this game, just logging in and standing around, would give me part of the feeling I used to have playing pnp D&D. The "anything's possible" feeling; wonder, awe, excitement. Nope. I'd rather play tic-tac-toe against myself now, than play this. Hopefully, people will still get enjoyment for a long time, from this game. I just hope they don't waste more money on it.
    TL : DR? Then don't waste my time responding.
  • Options
    yasha00yasha00 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 479 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Is there any mmo that you don't get bored with within a few months? I seem to read the same complaints about "lack of endgame", boredom etc in every mmo forum. Could it just be that the game has given you as much as it can for now and its time for something new? Why do people always seem to criticize these games so much after they have gotten 5 toons to level cap and say "give me more"?

I don't understand what you guys want, it just seems natural to me to get bored with a game and want to play something else after a while, I don't see it as some failure of the game.
  • Options
    timmbeertimmbeer Member Posts: 268 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    yasha00 wrote: »
    Is there any mmo that you don't get bored with within a few months? I seem to read the same complaints about "lack of endgame", boredom etc in every mmo forum. Could it just be that the game has given you as much as it can for now and its time for something new? Why do people always seem to criticize these games so much after they have gotten 5 toons to level cap and say "give me more"?

I don't understand what you guys want, it just seems natural to me to get bored with a game and want to play something else after a while, I don't see it as some failure of the game.

Other games bore players after a few months. Neverwinter, according to varied posters, bore them when they reach level 60, hardcore or casual, which can be within a week...
    "Lucky" is the new FOTM.
  • Options
    kaiserschmarrnkaiserschmarrn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 390
    edited July 2013
    You're not alone. Currently I only log in to get my daily tokens and set some crafting. I have at least one 60 of every class and done enough pvp and every dungeon. I have run out of content and the Foundry quests don't interest me that much since they offer no reward at all. Let's hope Module 1 breathes some fresh air into the game, but without a new class or paragon path this seems unlikely.