test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Yay New Content! And I don't care.

Comments

• rabbinicusrabbinicus Member Posts: 1,822 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    And the Moon elf race is the only thing that isnt free in the expansion. How is that misleading?

While we don't know the answer for certain, I think that you're making some potentially unwarranted assumptions.
    We can assume that the mount, fashion set, title, and stone of earth are character bound. It is possible that the loamweave enchantment will also be bound this way, but I would hope it is also available as a drop for those who want to build higher levels of it.

So it is highly likely that there will be several things in the expansion that are not free.
    The right to command is earned through duty, the privilege of rank is service.

• theviking2006theviking2006 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 817 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    rabbinicus wrote: »
    While we don't know the answer for certain, I think that you're making some potentially unwarranted assumptions.
    We can assume that the mount, fashion set, title, and stone of earth are character bound. It is possible that the loamweave enchantment will also be bound this way, but I would hope it is also available as a drop for those who want to build higher levels of it.

So it is highly likely that there will be several things in the expansion that are not free.

You are true on that, I hadnt even though about those items. The point I was trying to get across was that there is much more that will be free in the expansion then what the pack offers.
  • dridiadridia Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Even SWTOR gave ya a whole planet and raid for 10$ :o
  • darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    But, does it offer more bang for buck than a complete game for the same price?

Not while the Steam Summer Sale is going on. :p
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    andotaco wrote: »
    Please, for the sake of everyone's sanity, never use the terms "bang for buck" when what you are receiving is infinitely replicated digital content that in itself is half assed and underwhelming.

So by that logic. How do you justify buying any game? Arnt they all just digital copies spawned from a single master disk? And that is even if you get a physical disk. Downloading from places like steam is fast becoming a replacement for that. A place where you can purchase infinitely replicated digital goods. Some of witch are also half-assed but still seem to sell well.

What makes that different from this?
  • admgriffithsadmgriffiths Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    All this is pointless and invalid right from the OP.

You won't find a F2P game without a micro-transaction store inside of it. Yeah, prices are steep in this one - BUT, you can (albeit slowly) attain all those items by converting your Astral Diamonds into Zen, and purchasing it that way without spending any real money.

These packs are meant to be flashy, showy, and generally useless. They're for the people who just want everything the game has, and who want to look "cool." Packs like these are what fund major expansions, and while this may not be as major as we'd all hope, this is a large update to the game, the first of many.

I have a hard time reading people complain about things existing in micro-transaction stores, or in "packs." Any F2P game is always going to be P2W, if you want to win right now. Everyone can win, and get everything while spending nothing, if they take the time to earn it. A game wouldn't survive, no, it wouldn't EXIST if there wasn't some form of currency being regularly brought in by the developer.

I'm happy with the game, I've spent a lot of money in the game. I'm here more because it's a Cryptic game, not D&D, but I now can say I thoroughly enjoy that franchise as well. So really, stop complaining.
    edited July 2013
    You are true on that, I hadnt even though about those items. The point I was trying to get across was that there is much more that will be free in the expansion then what the pack offers.

Yes, and that is true of all the game. It is true that no one needs to spend any money on the game at all, but there are certain conveniences available to those that are willing to pay.

In this case, there are indeed several things that will again only be available to those who pay. Whether or not those things are worth it is entirely a personal judgment.

• xenotorchxenotorch Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 196 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    m1nuend wrote: »
    There is a market plan behind this game. They didn't make it free to play as charity.
    Meaning; the price is pushed to it's limits for the company to drag out every single penny they can from a sale. It's not a price based on company survival.

This +10. Standard current business practice that ignores long-term survival.

Based on the comments of lifetimes of MMO games being 3 - 5 years is anyone surprised at the blatent cash-grabs and seemingly lack of attention to fixing bugs/exploits/issues? The cynic in me says that the majority of staff have already been relocated to the next project and the skeleton staff will issue pay items to fixes at a ratio exceeding 100-1
  • r0y0r0y0 Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    xenotorch wrote: »
    ...Lifetimes of MMO games being 3 - 5 years is anyone surprised at the blatant cash-grabs and seemingly lack of attention to fixing bugs/exploits/issues? The cynic in me says that the majority of staff have already been relocated to the next project and the skeleton staff will issue pay items to fixes at a ratio exceeding 100-1
    I fear the same thing, except the skeleton crew IS the original staff. What is their motivation for fixing anything? F2P survives on care bears ("oooo, a new princess outfit! Here's my wallet!") and new players trying it out and probably spending a few bucks in the virtual store... how are those two things caring about bugs and lack of content?

You want to see Cryptic in its lack-of-content wisdom, just head over to Champions Online and witness the shallow end of the pool of content.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • phytherinessphytheriness Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    darkjeff wrote: »
    Not while the Steam Summer Sale is going on. :p

DING!

Services like Steam have really put into perspective (for me) what can be gotten for your dollars spent. I considered spending funds on this game, but cant justify what I'm getting for the ca$h being paid. It has nothing to do with affordability, as I can/could afford it. It has everything to do with the truth of how far each dollar can take me as compared to how far I let it take me via alternatives.

Within a 2 week span I've pull off Bioshock Infinite, Borderlands 2 (w/all content adding DLC's), Fallout 3 GoTY Ed & Fallout New Vegas for $25
  • pelkastpelkast Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Why do you think that we care that you don't care?

Funny that you care to post here saying that you don't care.
  • andotacoandotaco Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    skalt112 wrote: »
    Artists care about their creations

So is this why this game has huge texture issues, bad animations, excessive clipping, and laughably floating shoulders and belts?

It's rather obvious that the artists do not really care about their creations... If so these ammature issues would have never even made it to the internal alpha...

The reality, as has been posted before, is that crytic and pwe are here to take your money, they are not here to build a great game with the hopes that you will keep playing it. The vast majority of money made by FTP games are made from new players joining a game spending some cash, and then leaving. FTP models are not quality or service based, they are simply carrot and stick based... There is a reason that the quality of mmos has dropped drastically since the ftp take off.
  • thepresident777thepresident777 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Pack does not equal expansion. Why are you being so obviously stupid.

First, don't get personal with me. Second, I said TINY expansion. If you can't see that a pack and a tiny expansion are just about the same thing that is your loss, not mine. Third, it's even less content than an expansion for the price of a full game. Thanks for making my point.
  • vold316vold316 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    To all those who are going to pay for that <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>; think again, or just think.

There is no hope for this game; check Gamespot & IGN reviews (6.0 and 6.6, respectively).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"The harder the game, the better."
  • theviking2006theviking2006 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 817 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    First, don't get personal with me. Second, I said TINY expansion. If you can't see that a pack and a tiny expansion are just about the same thing that is your loss, not mine. Third, it's even less content than an expansion for the price of a full game. Thanks for making my point.

Yup you are an idiot. Its less content then an expansion that is FREE. You dont need to buy the fluff pack to play in the Feywilds. You cant grasp that concept at all.
    edited July 2013

In all fairness, we don't know how large the expansion is going to be. So it might be more substantial than you expect.

edited July 2013
    Yup you are an idiot. Its less content then an expansion that is FREE. You dont need to buy the fluff pack to play in the Feywilds. You cant grasp that concept at all.

An expansion? please; this is just an addition to an unfinished game; don't lie to yourself.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• riqitariqita Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 297 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Yeah, I mean, I think the pack is too expensive. Especially compared to what I would get if I paid for DLCs for other games.
    But, it's nothing to complain about really. I just won't buy the pack.
    edited July 2013
    Before that any of you buy this pack, I suggest you to google "Ramin Shokrizade", and read his articles about coersive F2P systems.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

edited July 2013
    vold316 wrote: »
    Before that any of you buy this pack, I suggest you to google "Ramin Shokrizade", and read his articles about coersive F2P systems.

So I can read an article about a guy who used to have a weak grip on his wallet who is now telling people to beware that F2P games charge for things that you wouldnt think would be charged for? Nah Ill just buy the pack and know that I value the things in the pack.
  • zoiks100zoiks100 Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I'm not going to fault anyone who buys the packs and other market stuff for this game if they actually love the game. I don't understand it, but then I don't understand why people like plenty of other games too. /shrug

But anyone trying to argue that the value of pretty much ANYTHING sold in this game's market is objectively good, is just plain off their Gord (pun intended for my fellow Gygax fans out there).
    Don't Panic.
    airplane-2-o.gif
    Okay, Panic.
  • tinkerstormtinkerstorm Member Posts: 812 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    bioshrike wrote: »
    A typical single player game nowadays has, what, 20-30 hours of content? I play pretty often, and even then my new 60's have a /played time of about 40+ hours. While the main quest chains are the same for all characters, there is a smattering of class and race specific quests as well. I have 1 of each class at 60, and the experience to get there has been different enough to keep me playing.

What does this boil down to? It means that value is subjective - considering there's no sub fee and the game is still being added to, $60 isn't bad at all. Most single player games I tend to put down once I beat them.

The best part, though - unlike those other games, you can still play this one w/o spending a dime! How can people gloss over this fact so easily?
    Because of on account of how their massively overinflated false sense of entitlement blinds them to reality.
    edited July 2013

You are agreeing with my original post.
    edited July 2013
    You are agreeing with my original post.

No your original post you are comparing purchasing a full game to getting this module which is free. I dont even see how that comparison can be made.
    edited July 2013
    No your original post you are comparing purchasing a full game to getting this module which is free. I dont even see how that comparison can be made.

In a full game you would get all the mounts, all the companions, all the character slots, all the races, all the classes, all the content in the release for a much lower price. And, you would have a complete set of content for all your many many characters. Try buying mounts and companions for just 5 characters in this game. Let me know how much it costs. I'm talking about mounts that move a bit, not the level 1 sloths you get for 5 gold after 20 levels of trudging, and companions that can survive in level 60 content more than 5 seconds.

What you get for free in this game is sluggish game play. I guess fun is a convenience. For instance, PWE purposely makes the movement slow as ****ing molasses in deep space so you are compelled to buy a mount for a ridiculous price.

In game currency is inflated more than 1930s Deutch Marks so you are compelled to spend RL money to get the **** boring chores out of the way.

I'm just saying that it doesn't have to be that way. It's possible to satisfy one's desire for varied content by playing multiple free games with just one fav character per game. These free to be compelled games are not worth spending money on. Just take the best the game has to offer you for free and move on with your wallet intact.
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Try buying mounts and companions for just 5 characters in this game. Let me know how much it costs. I'm talking about mounts that move a bit, not the level 1 sloths you get for 5 gold after 20 levels of trudging, and companions that can survive in level 60 content more than 5 seconds.

The price is $59. The cost of this pack. Gets you purple mount and pet for all your characters, past, present, and future. Of course, considering all the ranting about the cost of this, I expected you would of known this. Or at the very least used a different argument.

BTW, isnt WoW a full and complete game? And dont they charge for expansions, vanity pets, and mounts? Even with a premium subscription.
    edited July 2013
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    The price is $59. The cost of this pack. Gets you purple mount and pet for all your characters, past, present, and future. Of course, considering all the ranting about the cost of this, I expected you would of known this. Or at the very least used a different argument.

BTW, isnt WoW a full and complete game? And dont they charge for expansions, vanity pets, and mounts? Even with a premium subscription.

The cheapest level 3 mount costs 2,500 Zen, which is $25USD. The cheapest level 3 companion costs $3000 Zen, which is $25USD. That's $55USD for just one character. No thx, I'll pass on that for a better deal.

I don't play WOW. It's <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.

Incidentally, The Top F2P Monetization Tricks, Systems of Control in F2P, Monetizing Children.
  • runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The cheapest level 3 mount costs 2,500 Zen, which is $25USD. The cheapest level 3 companion costs $3000 Zen, which is $25USD. That's $55USD for just one character. No thx, I'll pass on that for a better deal.

You don't seem to understand (or you are just ignoring it), the packs mount and companion are account wide. So if you have 20 character slots you get 20 mounts and 20 companions for $60. And if you ever get more slots, then you get more mounts and companions.

That $60 leaves you with nothing left to buy but bags. And you don't -need- them. They are really useful, but not required.
    Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited July 2013

I don't play WOW. It's <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.

Incidentally, The Top F2P Monetization Tricks, Systems of Control in F2P, Monetizing Children.

The $60 pack gives you a T3 mount and a R3 companion for all your characters. But let's ignore that for a moment. Let's go with the premise that you enjoy this game. If you don't enjoy playing the free, base version of this game, then stop reading right here. Remember - while not high end by any measure, you can still get the T1 mount and white-quality companions for free, and without any real money investment.

So, going back to my premise - if you enjoy this game, even just using the white horse and companion(s), then you can earn everything you need to get a T3 mount and higher rank companions. By saving your ADs from invoking, running leadership task for them, and by selling rare or epic items that you don't need on the AH, you can save up enough to get that stuff for free.

That's what I did, and I'm thrilled that that opportunity was afforded to me.

When you open up your wallet and decide to pay, what you are doing is saying to yourself "I don't want to have to wait for item X, so I will pay to get it now".
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
    edited July 2013
    bioshrike wrote: »
    The $60 pack gives you a T3 mount and a R3 companion for all your characters. But let's ignore that for a moment. Let's go with the premise that you enjoy this game. If you don't enjoy playing the free, base version of this game, then stop reading right here. Remember - while not high end by any measure, you can still get the T1 mount and white-quality companions for free, and without any real money investment.

So, going back to my premise - if you enjoy this game, even just using the white horse and companion(s), then you can earn everything you need to get a T3 mount and higher rank companions. By saving your ADs from invoking, running leadership task for them, and by selling rare or epic items that you don't need on the AH, you can save up enough to get that stuff for free.

That's what I did, and I'm thrilled that that opportunity was afforded to me.

When you open up your wallet and decide to pay, what you are doing is saying to yourself "I don't want to have to wait for item X, so I will pay to get it now".

Exactly, not enough content to justify the $60. Let's look at the psycological trick being played here. First, the content is priced ridiculously expensive. Then, it is marked down but it's advertised as if it's a huge savings, even a loss to the seller. This is the typical sale item racket that stores run all the time.