test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The ghost companion

arcmoon99arcmoon99 Member Posts: 499 Arc User
edited August 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
So I watched the humorous video on the ghost companion, and it looks amazing. Something I think is worth looking into.

http://nw.perfectworld.com/news/?p=890251

what's your opinion on the new companion?
Arc, proud officer of Novus Ordo
bannernwf_zps00ed5b05.jpg
New to the game? Check out my build guide to give you an idea on how to set up your characters!
Post edited by arcmoon99 on

Comments

• jwrenjwren Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Have to admit, I'm intrigued by its possession ability.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • b100d31fb100d31f Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It's a.... GHOST! Ghost.. ghost...

And that video rocked! xD
  • x0y1x0y1 Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Yeah she is a cool companion but I really hope the fixed all the bugs from beta with her-> http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Rco5SvZJ9aE#t=661s
  • chronomancerchronomancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,223
    edited July 2013
    x0y1 wrote: »
    Yeah she is a cool companion but I really hope the fixed all the bugs from beta with her-> http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Rco5SvZJ9aE#t=661s

It would be awesome if it could possess a boss then make the boss die :P
  • zahinderzahinder Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The video annoyed the heck out of me!!!

Why no sit emotes for us, Cryptic?? Why do you taunt us so?!?
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • sturmwaffel2sturmwaffel2 Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 219 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Hmm. So it can one shot kill things by possessing them. You guy's ready for the latest exploit?
  • xellizxelliz Member Posts: 955 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I want one...but probably not once I see the price.

Also, how about they give us the ability to tame a chicken as a companion. I don't care if it doesn't do anything, I want a **** chicken following me around.
    Foundry - Fight Club? (nw-dluqbofu7)
    - JailBreak (in development)
  • sominatorsominator Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Glad you like it! :)
    arcmoon99 wrote: »
    So I watched the humorous video on the ghost companion, and it looks amazing. Something I think is worth looking into.

http://nw.perfectworld.com/news/?p=890251

what's your opinion on the new companion?
    Proud member of Team Fencebane, official guild of the unofficial Neverwinter Adventure Hour!
  • grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    the new healer looks good too, if only they reworked all the current companions. 2s cooldown abilities that are useful will make the currently redundant companions worth a look/buy.

shame that healer is only a lottery. im not much of a gambler.
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
    and also the featured satirical comedic adventure "A Call for Heroes".
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Looks quite powerful. Killing the monster after possession seems a bit unnecessary. Well, we'll have to see what's the duration of this spell.

If it can one-shot a npc then it's the most powerful striker in game. Don't worry, the next companion should play the content for you. :)
  • sturmwaffel2sturmwaffel2 Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 219 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    sominator wrote: »
    Glad you like it! :)

Yeah, it's neat. But is it going to break the game? And when are the old companions going to become useful? It's one thing to say it's F2P but give us complete junk while everything good is on the ZEN store. >_>
  • arcmoon99arcmoon99 Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    diogene0 wrote: »
    Looks quite powerful. Killing the monster after possession seems a bit unnecessary. Well, we'll have to see what's the duration of this spell.

If it can one-shot a npc then it's the most powerful striker in game. Don't worry, the next companion should play the content for you. :)

I'm thinking to balance this out the possession, is based on the strength of the mob, or maybe the ghost can only possess a mob that's near death. If not it's only a short quick fix .
    New to the game? Check out my build guide to give you an idea on how to set up your characters!
  • xellizxelliz Member Posts: 955 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    diogene0 wrote: »

While I'm pretty sure the companion will only be able to possess the weakest monsters, I expect that someone will find an exploit to get to possess some bosses.
    Foundry - Fight Club? (nw-dluqbofu7)
    - JailBreak (in development)
  • zahinderzahinder Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Or possibly the ghost only possesses creatures it kills?
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • quoiskyquoisky Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I don't get it... why do they keep making low cap level companions? Barely any can keep up in our current dungeons.
    Oh by the way, buy more of our stuff! We'll drag on the ingame content and input that later? o.O
  • railcarrailcar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Hmm. So it can one shot kill things by possessing them. You guy's ready for the latest exploit?

It's listed as minion only, which means the little guys with almost no HP to begin with...in D&D 4E they have a measly 1 hp.
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    xelliz wrote: »
    While I'm pretty sure the companion will only be able to possess the weakest monsters, I expect that someone will find an exploit to get to possess some bosses.

Well if it can affect monsters players can already control, it should be able to control npcs like flamespikers, nothic something, intellect predators... The kind of stuff you don't want to get an AOE from because it hits for 30k HPs in dungeons. Possessing such monsters and killing them instantly sounds a bit dumb. Get 5 ghosts in your party and let them play the dungeon for you. Quite silly.
    edited July 2013
    arcmoon99 wrote: »
    I'm thinking to balance this out the possession, is based on the strength of the mob, or maybe the ghost can only possess a mob that's near death. If not it's only a short quick fix .

If the developers didn't discuss this at the round table when they got the bright idea then they need my resume. I swear if this is exploitable the moment it comes out and they have to hotfix the new "Best striker in the game" because they didn't think about it for more than two minutes, I'm going to be very upset.
    edited July 2013
    railcar wrote: »
    It's listed as minion only, which means the little guys with almost no HP to begin with...in D&D 4E they have a measly 1 hp.

I'm sure you are aware by now that this is NOT D&D. This is the product of a game developer you described D&D to. Poorly.
  • lpsxlpsx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 138 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    is there going 2be a common companion version for players that don't use zen?
  • arcmoon99arcmoon99 Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    lpsx wrote: »

You do understand once these things really start to roll out that it takes a little bit, and it will be up in the AH in no time with the ability to buy it with AD instead? That's the beauty of this game is you can obtain a lot of the zen items without actually buying zen.
  • dootudootu Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 58
    edited July 2013
    lpsx wrote: »

Business model.

Understanding it, you be do not.
  • kaiserschmarrnkaiserschmarrn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 390
    edited July 2013
    So has anyone tested the Ghost in a dungeon and can it possess trash mobs ?
  • kimberixkimberix Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I didn't like the video..

1) Who is the main character?
    2) Who is the ghost?
    3) Why make a point of only him being able to see her when we'll ALL be able to see them?
    4) Why does she protect him / follow him?
    5) DATE NIGHT?
    6) Why another video where someone gets jumped leaving a tavern? Mage video was similar.
    7) Music choice is terrible :(
    8) "You saved me!" THE END!!

There could have been such a wonderfrul, gritty, eery backstory to having a ghost companion - this just feels rushed which is strange considering that the ghost companion has been around for a quite awhile now (Beta).
  • kimberixkimberix Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    So has anyone tested the Ghost in a dungeon and can it possess trash mobs ?

I could be wrong here - but I thought in Beta that the companion used to get trapped in a mob if it was killed whilst she was possessing it. I didn't use on in Beta so can't confirm first-hand if it included trash mobs in dungeons.

• millertime197933millertime197933 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 124 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    I purchased the Ghost and it stinks. It will only possess the weakest of the trash which is usually almost dead by the time you get the ghost to "engage", or you have already killed it leaving nothing for it to possess. You can generally expect it to possess one thing per fight. It doesn't bounce around possessing multiple things and killing them either. It will generally stay in one thing until it dies from being hit(which the ghost itself will die quickly afterwards as it has low hps and generally is one shotted by stronger elite or boss hits) or the possession expires(which i haven't timed but is generally the length of an average non boss fight). It does not possess boss, mini boss, elite, stronger trash, or anything of the like, even if you have lowered their hps. When there is nothing available that is weak enough to possess, it utilizes a ranged attack that hits for about 240 dmg at level 25, and attacks at a speed that most other companions attack at (slow). It also has the same crappy AI that most companions have in that it will move up and stand at the feet of a boss and die fairly quickly.

At 60, an augment pet is still the go to option. A group of 5, all with Ghosts, wont make pirate king, or any boss encounters that have tons of adds any easier as it wont possess anything that the CW hasn't already killed with one AS or one steal time cast. So for something that costs 20 dollars, or about 700k AD, it is quite lacking on usefulness, and only good for someone that wants it for flavor. My 2 cents.
  • nikitaoznikitaoz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 149 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    I purchased the Ghost and it stinks. It will only possess the weakest of the trash which is usually almost dead by the time you get the ghost to "engage", or you have already killed it leaving nothing for it to possess. You can generally expect it to possess one thing per fight. It doesn't bounce around possessing multiple things and killing them either. It will generally stay in one thing until it dies from being hit(which the ghost itself will die quickly afterwards as it has low hps and generally is one shotted by stronger elite or boss hits) or the possession expires(which i haven't timed but is generally the length of an average non boss fight). It does not possess boss, mini boss, elite, stronger trash, or anything of the like, even if you have lowered their hps. When there is nothing available that is weak enough to possess, it utilizes a ranged attack that hits for about 240 dmg at level 25, and attacks at a speed that most other companions attack at (slow). It also has the same crappy AI that most companions have in that it will move up and stand at the feet of a boss and die fairly quickly.

At 60, an augment pet is still the go to option. A group of 5, all with Ghosts, wont make pirate king, or any boss encounters that have tons of adds any easier as it wont possess anything that the CW hasn't already killed with one AS or one steal time cast. So for something that costs 20 dollars, or about 700k AD, it is quite lacking on usefulness, and only good for someone that wants it for flavor. My 2 cents.

Horrible.
    I've written this several times already only to be yelled at but will write again:
    CRYPTIC, please, buff companions to make them useful anywhere. They die even in Rothe Valley where you would normally farm <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. Come on. It is beyond ridiculous.
  • sallee132sallee132 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2
    edited July 2013
    its awesome ^^
  • mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    nikitaoz wrote: »
    Horrible.
    I've written this several times already only to be yelled at but will write again:
    CRYPTIC, please, buff companions to make them useful anywhere. They die even in Rothe Valley where you would normally farm <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. Come on. It is beyond ridiculous.

Well, the standard companions we can buy form gold are getting upgrade tomes in the expansion. And my purple companion does just fine in solo dungeons.
  • nyghomanyghoma Member Posts: 546 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The ghost was voted the WORST companion in closed beta. Don't let the possession fool you. A normal companion would have killed 3 minions by time the possession kills one. It's another worthless cash grab. Have fun looking at them in PE and laugh at the fact that someone actually spent real money on it.
    tol-banner.png

NW-DT4OV7EXH

Every time they idiot-proof something...they make better idiots.