Options

The speed run culture: why things fall apart

2»

Comments

• Options
    redneckroninredneckronin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    cribstaxxx wrote: »
    That doesn't make me an elitist jerk, just like it's wrong for me to force you the player that doesn't want to run a dungeon quickly to do so, it's also wrong for you to try to force me to run it the way you want me to.

Except that is not what they are trying to do.

They are asking you to play the game the way it was designed to be played rather than by using exploits/cheats.

The lengths some people will go to to try and justify their own dishonesty amazes me some days.

All The Best
    Campaign: Call Of The Wild - Information, Links To Review Threads, Screenshots

Looking For Reviews For Your Foundry Quest?
    Drop By Scribe's Enclave & Meet Up With Volunteer Reviewers.
  • Options
    diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    bioshrike wrote: »
    I agree. Along the same lines, the devs need to step up and address the issues why people speed through these - namely the limited time that dungeon delve events run for, combined with way too many "trash mobs" throughout.

Still, I have all but given up on that particular dungeon because of this.

As long as it's not a free chest you can loot as many times as you want in protector's enclave witha guaranteed T2 set drop, some people will complain about adds and stuff. There's no way to satisfy everyone. Some like long-lasting fights, others have various ways to get resources to buy gear from more patient people.

By the way, many people never learn how to play the game with these shortcuts. I've seen many wipes on forgecallers and magma brutes, although they are some of the most predictable mobs in game. Shortcuts make the game boring, too easy with content burnt in a week. You get your T2 set in a week, and then just have to quit the game because there's nothing else to do.

"Trash" is here for several reasons. My favourite one is that it's what's fun when you play a support class (DC, CW). Without adds, dungeons feel empty and boring. Another reason is that it makes dungeons lasting longer. That's the studio's choice, if they made dungeons shorters, they would have to produce content a lot faster and i'm not sure it's possible.

Most of the times, these exploits could be fixed with more invisible walls or changing the quests design. That shouldn't take weeks to fix but yet we only had small fixes that din't fix anything.
  • Options
    dkcandydkcandy Member Posts: 1,555 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Except these are obviously not intended.

Please do not force your opinion as fact as you are wrong. There are many short-cuts that are design elements with "chests" in the short-cuts. You really need to explore the game more to find these hidden passages. You'll see them throughout leveling in the quest instances and they also are put into dungeons too.

Example: CN - Spike that goes right over a portal that allows you to skip a large chunk of trash. A path of broken titles that allows you to jump to another pedestal that allows another jump back onto path. These are designed that way and intended and not some oops mistake.

Caverns of Karrundax - Hole in wall that you can walk thru and jump up to get onto big rock that allows you to skip a large chunk of trash. Another hidden path.

The game is full of these paths and many of which have chests that can be looted.
  • Options
    parp12parp12 Member Posts: 642 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    dkcandy wrote: »
    Please do not force your opinion as fact as you are wrong.
    Why, is that something only you're allowed to do? You could have made your post without the above quoted apart or, if keeping that part, not forced your opinion as fact (sic).
  • Options
    wingofbenuwingofbenu Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Please do not force your opinion as fact as you are wrong. There are many short-cuts that are design elements with "chests" in the short-cuts. You really need to explore the game more to find these hidden passages. You'll see them throughout leveling in the quest instances and they also are put into dungeons too.

Example: CN - Spike that goes right over a portal that allows you to skip a large chunk of trash. A path of broken titles that allows you to jump to another pedestal that allows another jump back onto path. These are designed that way and intended and not some oops mistake.

Caverns of Karrundax - Hole in wall that you can walk thru and jump up to get onto big rock that allows you to skip a large chunk of trash. Another hidden path.

The game is full of these paths and many of which have chests that can be looted.

so that totally excuses geometry errors that bypass large quantities of actual content.

Either that or you're an idiot.
  • Options
    chronomancerchronomancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,223
    edited July 2013
    People will say anything just to justify their cheating ways.
  • Options
    edited July 2013

There are no chests in this "secret" path in karrundax, and you have to do a lot of jumping on props with really bad clipping and ugly textures. When a player is supposed to see an area, artwork is usually much better. This invalidates your argument.

Skipping the first boss in FH, jumping into the water in fardelver, suiciding the first boss in CN, suiciding the spider queen v2.0 in spider temple, all of this was supposed to be patched, yet, it's not, because players found workarounds. How can you even think it's "intended"? And the list is definitely not comprehensive.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    wingofbenu wrote: »
    so that totally excuses geometry errors that bypass large quantities of actual content.

Either that or you're an idiot.

When there are chests, rocks and other design elements in these "Hidden Paths" they are intended design. I've never said that 100% of all hidden paths are intended just the ones I've found and used so far.

Example of unintended are the ones that Cryptic has fixed. The others they left behind are intended by Cryptic as a hidden path.
  • Options
    sturmwaffel2sturmwaffel2 Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 219 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Hmmm. I could walk through a dungeon and waste everybody's time to open a chest full of trash... Or I can rock climb straight to the boss with -- OH HEY! A REAL CHEST!

Also think about grinding trash monsters. Trash Monsters. Trash. Traaaaaashhhh. Think about what that word means and why we use it.
  • Options
    derpaderpistderpaderpist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013

Slowpokes are not allowed in good groups , if you wanna take it slow take 8,4k gs first timers and have some funzies but make sure you do it in during the DD event :)
    " We live in an age of the cheaply made, disposable, high priced junk. " - theunwarshed
  • Options
    redneckroninredneckronin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013

Yup.

Back when I was involved in anti-cheat groups for FPS games the two most common excuses were:

1) If the DEVs didn't want us to use that exploit they wouldn't have put it in.

Which is basically what some people are trying to claim here, never mind that the DEV's have tried to remove the exploits so it is abundantly clear they didn't intend players to use them, I guess the exploiting/cheating players aren't smart enough to understand that.

and

2) It wasn't me, my brother did it.

Don't think I've seen that one yet.

All The Best
    Campaign: Call Of The Wild - Information, Links To Review Threads, Screenshots

Looking For Reviews For Your Foundry Quest?
    Drop By Scribe's Enclave & Meet Up With Volunteer Reviewers.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Slowpokes are not allowed in good groups , if you wanna take it slow take 8,4k gs first timers and have some funzies but make sure you do it in during the DD event :)

And be sure that players like myself will do what they can to stop that and help cryptic to make the game a more enjoyable experience. ;) Recording exploits and uploading videos is definitely not time consuming, and it's a good investment if people plan to spend some time here.
  • Options
    etherealjetherealj Member Posts: 1,091 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    You'll have a hard time getting most people to believe walking past mobs put in horrible places is exploiting. That said, campfire teleporting is dumb.
    Use the <removed exploit lead-in> to interact with the auction vendor.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Lets look at this logically:

You are walking along a path and come to a cliff:

1. You look right and see a path with 100's of nasty creatures ready to gnaw on your bones.

2. You look left and see a rock that looks safe to climb over.

I would go left and call it good.
  • Options
    mehguy138mehguy138 Member Posts: 1,803 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    When we were doing high level dungeon in the some game, my friend said "I don't like cheats and exploits, I've never used them, but if there were a cheat, that could let us skip all this trash - I would use it." Reduce amount of trash mobs, make boss fights longer and harder and speed runs will gone.
    M6 almost drains your soul given how boring it is. (c) joocycuzzzzzz
  • Options
    chronomancerchronomancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,223
    edited July 2013
    mehguy138 wrote: »
    When we were doing high level dungeon in the some game, my friend said "I don't like cheats and exploits, I've never used them, but if there were a cheat, that could let us skip all this trash - I would." Reduce amount of trash mobs, make boss fights longer and harder and speed runs will be gone.

QFT. I agree... lessen the amount of trash mob by 50% and make them 25% harder. Make them drop good stuff too. Maybe like 1-3% chance to drop epics or rank 5 enchant.
  • Options
    dridiadridia Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Easy fix ...You have to kill x amount of mobs in dungeon or chest wont open! Personally if someone says in zone chat speed run or exp grp I wont join. T2 gear is easy to obtain and theres no reason to exploit ,I mainly do epics to farm enhancers obtained from killing..sell enhancers for AD. New content just trickles into game and theres no reason to hurry imo or youll just be sitting in Enclave staring at spam chat. What I do most of the time is just Q for t1 and enjoy a unexploited run.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    From the developer interview they mentioned that each module will be released quarterly that means 1 module every 3 months. If you can trivialize a content within 1 month that don't bode well for the life of the game.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    You don't berate the mouse for beating your mousetrap. You build better mousetraps.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    etherealj wrote: »
    You don't berate the mouse for beating your mousetrap. You build better mousetraps.

I think that's pretty much what the devs are doing.. they are improving their mousetrap.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    I think that's pretty much what the devs are doing.. they are improving their mousetrap.

Right now the mice are yelling at each other for taking the cheese without much risk :D
  • Options
    mehguy138mehguy138 Member Posts: 1,803 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    etherealj wrote: »
    Right now the mice are yelling at each other for taking the cheese without much risk :D

So true.
    (10 more truth)
    M6 almost drains your soul given how boring it is. (c) joocycuzzzzzz
  • Options
    ahleraahlera Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    kimberix wrote: »

Ironically, I've never known an MMORPG put up so many barriers to prevent their players from taking their time and enjoying their content; easy PvP XP, very short time to max level, timed windows for bonus content.

Heck, people on the forums are asking for a way to turn off XP as they want to take their time and play longer.

This is so true! I'll queue for skirmishes while questing but get this...I out level the skirmish before I can run it 3 times. This has happened in the last 4 zones. Why are so many people obsessed with getting to max level when afterwards they complain that there's nothing to do? I love to take my time exploring and playing through all the story lines that the dev's worked so hard to create.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    ahlera wrote: »
    This is so true! I'll queue for skirmishes while questing but get this...I out level the skirmish before I can run it 3 times. This has happened in the last 4 zones. Why are so many people obsessed with getting to max level when afterwards they complain that there's nothing to do? I love to take my time exploring and playing through all the story lines that the dev's worked so hard to create.

I missed something like 6 skirmishes just doing quests in the zone where they were located. I was miffed.