test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What is not DnD 4e about Neverwinter?

whitedrgn579whitedrgn579 Member Posts: 33 Arc User
edited July 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Don't get me wrong, Neverwinter is an fun game and I am enjoying playing it. There are some things that are not correctly portrayed in Neverwinter compared to DnD 4e players handbook 1-3.(other than just customization)

1. Strength is primary for both GF and GWF in 4e but not in Neverwinter.

2. Paladin class is the only class that can wear plate armor in 4e not in Neverwinter, but most can use more than one type.

3. Some powers aren't available at the right levels(TR power duelist's flurry, lvl 1 at-will in 4e, lvl 20 at-will in NW).

4. AC not figured up right(4e: 10+half lvl+armor bonus+shield bonus+dex modifier+item bonus=AC, NW: 10+Armor bonus)

5. Most classes are proficient with simple melee and ranged melee weapons, some with military melee/ranged or even superior melee/ranged weapons in 4e, not just one or two like NW.

These are a few things I could think of at the moment, if anyone can think of more feel free to post here.
(This is not meant to be a complaint/rant, just thought I would create this for info purposes.)
Post edited by whitedrgn579 on

Comments

• whistlingdixiewhistlingdixie Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    This is an observation many people have made, but I'm not sure what your point is exactly? I don't think Neverwinter intends to be 4e online, but rather a unique game based off 4e ideas.
  • ordensmarschallordensmarschall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,060 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    That is exactly one the problems people have had with this game. It is promoted as being a 4th Edition game, not based on 4th Ed with it's own ideas. Naturally leeway needs to be granted for the translation to the computer screen, however many feel they have far too liberally used the creative license excuse. This is a fun game for the most part, but I do wish and have hopes, that it will get closer the true D&D than it is now. When you put the D&D logo on your banner it is not unreasonable for people to expect 85 to 90% faithfulness to the rules than the 45 to 50% we have now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bracer2bracer2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 566 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Everything. The 4e rules were already dumbed down, i think to accommodate for mmo games such as this one. Whats truly despicable is that Cryptic has managed to dumb down the already dumbed down 4e to the point that this doesn't even resemble the game we know on any level. No rule is more D&D then AC being hit or miss. Tabletop/video game or otherwise. They have to get back to D&D fundamentals for any chance at lasting value.
  • wingofbenuwingofbenu Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I'd say the fact that the game is basically Champions Online with D&D terms, slightly actioneyer combat and models pasted on top is pretty much the sum of it.
  • tinukedatinukeda Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Oh for cryin out loud. Seriously?
    On what planet are you living that you think that 4E's mechanics would translate verbatim to an MMO game?
    Ludicrous!
    edited July 2013
    tinukeda wrote: »
    Oh for cryin out loud. Seriously?
    On what planet are you living that you think that 4E's mechanics would translate verbatim to an MMO game?
    Ludicrous!

Its not about verbatim. Its about that they duidnt even try, slapped a generic combat MMO engine with zero depth with Faerun lore names, and called it a day.

Sure, DDO doesnt get 3e exactly right, but at least it tries.
    edited July 2013
    wingofbenu wrote: »
    Its not about verbatim. Its about that they duidnt even try, slapped a generic combat MMO engine with zero depth with Faerun lore names, and called it a day.

Ah, ok, clearly you must have some deep insight into the development process and what their effort and intentions were all along. Would you mind predicting next week's lotto numbers while you're at it?
  • knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It is based on 4e, not a model of 4e constructed with perfect precision and to scale. No MMO based on a pnp game can be a direct copy of it as the two mediums are different. If you want 4e true to the source, or any other edition of D&D, you are going to have to find a pnp group and role-play the pre-computer way. If you want to play a D&D MMO, you are just going to have to accept the differences between tabletop and pnp necessitated by the different mediums.
    edited July 2013

It seemed closer, though I'm no expert on either edition, preferring AD&D 1st ed. to any version put out lately. The game definitely has way more depth than NW in many areas.
    edited July 2013
    Ah, ok, clearly you must have some deep insight into the development process and what their effort and intentions were all along. Would you mind predicting next week's lotto numbers while you're at it?

Dude, its a cryptic game.

I've been following cryptic since CoH.

This is their basic design model.

step 1: Have good idea.

step 2: Halfass good idea to launch.

step 3: abandon said good idea, funnel all money and devs you can into new project.

step 4: repeat ad nauseaum.

The only reason CoH and STO survived it is because CoH's devs who stayed behind got funding from NCsoft and fixed most of what was wrong, and STO makes so much money theyre downruight forced to keep supporting it.

CO and neverwinte,r I expect will both see the other route of slowly decliming dev support while the money gets funneled to something else.

But speaking as a longtime Cryptic follower? I've pretty much come to expect them to <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> out a half-finished mess and have maybe a 15% chance of ever fixing it.
    edited July 2013
    And? Is there some law that says they can't run their business in that way?
    If you're so unhappy with the company and their products, why do you still (apparently) keep using them? Plenty of other choices out there!
    edited July 2013
    And? Is there some law that says they can't run their business in that way?
    If you're so unhappy with the company and their products, why do you still (apparently) keep using them? Plenty of other choices out there!

Because I like pissing off libertarian business apologists like you.
    edited July 2013
    Because I like pissing off libertarian business apologists like you.

LOL, swing and a miss!
    edited July 2013
    You may be right wingofbenu, but D&D and Neverwinter aren't exactly shabby licenses, so it may have more legs than you anticipate, similar to the STO title. CoX didn't survive sadly, it just took longer to die.
    edited July 2013
    knightfalz wrote: »
    You may be right wingofbenu, but D&D and Neverwinter aren't exactly shabby licenses, so it may have more legs than you anticipate, similar to the STO title. CoX didn't survive sadly, it just took longer to die.

Pity.

STO's pretty much their only active game that deoent deserve to die in its current state.

CO's been dead for years, and Neverwinter's pretty much nothing but a cheap cash grab with elminster painted on the side in a gimp suit.
    edited July 2013
    Pity.

STO's pretty much their only active game that deoent deserve to die in its current state.

CO's been dead for years, and Neverwinter's pretty much nothing but a cheap cash grab with elminster painted on the side in a gimp suit.

I should check it out some time, but I'm more a fan of TOS. The game looks pretty Next Gen in style, so it might be meh for me. CO is still kicking, just not getting any development to speak of. They wasted they opportunity the death of CoX gave them.
    edited July 2013
    I should check it out some time, but I'm more a fan of TOS. The game looks pretty Next Gen in style, so it might be meh for me. CO is still kicking, just not getting any development to speak of. They wasted they opportunity the death of CoX gave them.

I'm aware. when CoH went down I went to CO in the hopes us new players coming would make CO fun again. I left a week later.
  • umaekoumaeko Member Posts: 845 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    One thing that did disconcert me early on is how non-pivotal our stat choices are.

For example, in PnP D&D, a wizard having a high Intelligence modifier was pretty pivotal. Starting with 20 Intelligence was giving you a whopping +5 to hit with your spells, and a +5 to damage... whereas +1 is being given out at every two levels.

But in Neverwinter, you gain a boost in percentile values equal to your score minus 10. So, if you have 18, it's +8% to a couple of things.

I suppose that this is more newbie friendly to an extent, since it'd be hard for a beginner to truly mess up his character's build in its beginnings in any meaningful way... but it also makes the race/stat selection far more trivial/less meaningful a choice.
    edited July 2013
    umaeko wrote: »
    One thing that did disconcert me early on is how non-pivotal our stat choices are.

For example, in PnP D&D, a wizard having a high Intelligence modifier was pretty pivotal. Starting with 20 Intelligence was giving you a whopping +5 to hit with your spells, and a +5 to damage... whereas +1 is being given out at every two levels.

But in Neverwinter, you gain a boost in percentile values equal to your score minus 10. So, if you have 18, it's +8% to a couple of things.

I suppose that this is more newbie friendly to an extent, since it'd be hard for a beginner to truly mess up his character's build in its beginnings in any meaningful way... but it also makes the race/stat selection far more trivial/less meaningful a choice.

they also limit your rolls to a set of predetermined ones by class, so its literally impossible to build a character "wrong", or min-max stats effectively in any manner.
  • wildsparrowwildsparrow Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Unfortunately this game is somewhat based on 4e, the worst version of DND yet. And they dont even get that right. The game is very restrictive when it comes to customization. If everbody min/maxes their attributes then everyone with the same class and race is virtually the same except for some chioce in powers advancement. The graphics are beautiful, they used the best campaign setting out there, but failed on game mechanics. I never wanted DND to become like WOW anyway. Personally i think DDO is better even though its in the Ebberon campaign setting.
    edited July 2013
    Unfortunately this game is somewhat based on 4e, the worst version of DND yet. And they dont even get that right. The game is very restrictive when it comes to customization. If everbody min/maxes their attributes then everyone with the same class and race is virtually the same except for some chioce in powers advancement. The graphics are beautiful, they used the best campaign setting out there, but failed on game mechanics. I never wanted DND to become like WOW anyway. Personally i think DDO is better even though its in the Ebberon campaign setting.

personally, I despise faerun and prefer Eberron , Ravenloft, or Dark Sun.

so I'd personally argue Faerun isnt the best setting. Just the easiest one to market because of how generic fantasy kitchen sink it is.
  • bluedarkybluedarky Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited July 2013

CoX didn't die it was murdered by NCSoft because their sales of GW2 weren't high enough and they didn't want to admit pumping all that money into a failure.
  • wholyhandgrenadewholyhandgrenade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The thing that is most not D&D like is constant farming and skipping content. I tried to play random join Castle Never by joining around 20 times today. Each time was a fail as most players there wouldn't leave the first campfire, they either weren't playing or they expected the spider boss to be drawn to a cheap location to be killed and the like. It hardly feels like PvP when all that goes on are farm run exploits.
  • dridiadridia Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    This MMO is Perfect World with D&D scenery +cash grab..cant wait for TESO!
    edited July 2013
    bluedarky wrote: »
    CoX didn't die it was murdered by NCSoft because their sales of GW2 weren't high enough and they didn't want to admit pumping all that money into a failure.
    That is pure speculation. All that is known is NCSoft decided to redirect their money elsewhere. Aside from that, dead is dead. The corpse doesn't care about the word used to describe it's demise.