test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

How to build a Decent 60 GF on a budget! For those who just hit 60.

Comments

• Options
    derpaderpistderpaderpist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    ayroux wrote: »
    Most players hit 60 and are looking at prices on the AH and wondering how the heck are they going to get BiS gear...

I want to make a realy quick guide for players on a budget that will enable you to get good gear that will hold its own in PVP for cheap. Think of this as the best bang for your buck items.

Helm - Shadow Wolf Headdress (buy it for 1k AD)
    +225 to power/crit/armor pen.
    Armor - Armor of Insanity (buy it for 2-5k AD)
    +298 to power/crit/armor pen.
    Arms - Icefall (20k ADish)
    + 255 pwr + 158 to arp/crit
    Feet- Piercing Valiant Greaves (5-10k AD)
    + 225 pwr +135 arp.
    Shirt: Optional (not a big deal until offensive slot)
    Belt: Any offensive slot with a combo of Arp/Crit/Pwr. Some people prefer HP too. Just get what fits in your budget. This will be a blue item.
    Pants (Optional)
    Neck: Minor-Excorcist's Necklace of Blessings (Higher the stats the better, can get for easily 5k-10 AD)
    + 129-133 Power/Crit/Arp
    Rings: Ideal: Pyrotechnic Band (100k each) Or Master Slaver's Ring (<50k each). If your on a REAL budget though:
    Pale Bone Band (less than 10k each.) Signet of Unending Pain (less than 15k each.) Smiting Berseker Ring (less than 15k each) Or for Hp/Pwr/Arp (Nightwyrm Band for less than 2k each!!).

MainHand - Brutal Lizardfolk Scimitar (less than 10k AD)
    Off Hand - Shield of the Crusher (2.k AD)

Offensive Enchants: Either Crit/ARP go with the highest you can afford. Most people can easily get rank 4s (2k each) or rank 5s (10k each).
    Defensive: Radiant Enchants
    Utility Movement Speed.

If you can eventually get weapon/armor enchants.
    Lesser Plague Fire (75k AD)
    Lesser Soul Forged (200k AD) - a cheap alternative is Thunderhead (150k) or Negation (120k).

The BASE gear altogether should run you about: 68,000 AD (no enchants).
    Obviously upgrading enchants/weap armor will cost you.

This is a basic guide to those GFs who just hit 60 who dont have gear. You can pick up garbage PVP gear for glory, but try and do a few dailies and you can start getting gear fast. While it is NOT BiS gear, it is decent gear and will allow you to start PVPing without getting completely dominated.

If I was given a fresh 60 with less than 50k AD to spend, this is what I would shoot for to start.

The Pyro's are 20k not 100 k .
    " We live in an age of the cheaply made, disposable, high priced junk. " - theunwarshed
  • Options
    ayrouxayroux Member Posts: 4,271 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The Pyro's are 20k not 100 k .

Look at when I made this post bro... Was a while ago and I double checked all AH prices as I wrote the guide. Obviously more time = more gear hitting the economy = lower prices etc... Economics 101.

I dont know the GS but you can run T1s easily you wont be the "tankiest" but this is a good PVP/DPS centered build.

For upgrades you can start getting KC set or Stalwarts or even General set... This is a good start and you can put out great damage and not be super squishy.

I wanted to refresh this since some1 was asking me how to build a GF...
  • Options
    poppakrodahpoppakrodah Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    ayroux,

I've got a full set of Timeless, would you stick with that or go with this set for pvp? Its cheap so I can buy it pretty easily, the expensive part is the tene enchants so I don't want to slot anything till I know which way to go.
  • Options
    empresskimmiempresskimmi Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Great work, Ayroux!

Found your guide, bought most of the items and tried it the last days: to me it seems to be very strong! High gs, good stats. Very good dmg, and very cheap to buy. Like the style of offering alternatives for lower budgets.

Where can I find the Shield of the crusher, you mentioned in the opening post?
  • Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013

This had me confused too since it is actually a much lower level item (49). I just checked and it is about 3K on Dragon now.

If this info is wrong, can someone please let the previous poster (and me!) know... :)
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    ayroux,

I've got a full set of Timeless, would you stick with that or go with this set for pvp? Its cheap so I can buy it pretty easily, the expensive part is the tene enchants so I don't want to slot anything till I know which way to go.

Honestly, (and I know I might bring flame for saying this) I prefer this gear set up over timeless. If timeless' bonuses were not something that needed to be built up via ecounters (being the key word) Then I would pick timeless. But quite often in PVP you will want to not have that build up. I did the math once and the raw stat difference, this set gives more ARP at a loss of crit (compared to full timeless stack) but it requires no build up.

As for tene enchants. Neither of the choices affect that. Helm/Armor/Gloves/Boots have no offensive so you can do w.e you want. But MY OPINION is that I would take what I call the "mix n match" set :)

As for the crusher shield, I got it on the AH for really cheap and mine is a lvl 49 item. They used to have epic lvl 49 GWF gear but I think recently changed that... Dont know.. But as far as damage output goes its actually one of the best shields. The only one that beats it would be timeless shield and if you go further I actually use the ancient shield because I have the mainhand too and like the tankiness.

Timeless sword is nice if you want that as an upgrade but for early on use brutal lizard since its damage output is amazing bang for your buck! I would even put it on par with timeless sword and ancients because the stats.

If you dont have tene enchants and use this set, you can even stack crit gems to make up the difference since you get decent arp stats already... Up to you. Other ppl like power since we get the double stat value so a Rank 6 at 150 is really 300 pwr.

My rule of thumb is if you use vorpal, try stacking crit. If you use plaguefire you can stack whatever and I would say that arp/pwr are probably better.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    7/10/13 - Price Checked items and made edits to OP.
  • Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    7/10/13 - Price Checked items and made edits to OP.

Thanks for this - it is invaluable for new GF players coming to the cap ;)
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    mconosrep wrote: »
    Thanks for this - it is invaluable for new GF players coming to the cap ;)

Why I made this :) Figured no everyone comes to the table with easy access to gear so you gotta start somewhere... Plus this is arguably better than even the T2 gear out there...
  • Options
    desjardiniidesjardinii Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 193 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Great work, Ayroux!

Drops off of the second boss in Cloak Tower. (the one at the bottom of the ramp that people often skip)
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Drops off of the second boss in Cloak Tower. (the one at the bottom of the ramp that people often skip)

Honestly you get like 3-5k AD for a daily PVP.. Que up 3 times turn it in, buy the shield. 3 PVP matches are anywhere from 10-15 min... plus you get decent exp.

Either that or daily foundary and get the AD.

Thanks for posting location though for those that want to farm it
  • Options
    tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Honestly you get like 3-5k AD for a daily PVP.. Que up 3 times turn it in, buy the shield. 3 PVP matches are anywhere from 10-15 min... plus you get decent exp.

Either that or daily foundary and get the AD.

Thanks for posting location though for those that want to farm it
    Hell, two days invocations is around 3k AD. Crusher shield is one of the best GF bargains in the game.
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    tang56 wrote: »
    Hell, two days invocations is around 3k AD. Crusher shield is one of the best GF bargains in the game.

So is lizard sword... Those two you can get for dirt cheap and are amazing. Not to mention crusher shield can be used while lvling
  • Options
    ocdonlineocdonline Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Any views on the Braced Troll Warhammer vs the Brutal Lizard Sword? Noticed that the Warhammer has much higher armour penetration (but lower power).

Btw just got Armour of Insanity and am trying to find a way to make it not look ridiculous.
  • Options
    kimonkakimonka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Wooohooo, it's updated! ^_^! (Pretty awesome that the prices are even lower)
    Although, is it wise for me to use defense on enchants for all of these pieces?. Figured that being more sturdier wouldn't hurt in pvp.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    ocdonline wrote: »
    Any views on the Braced Troll Warhammer vs the Brutal Lizard Sword? Noticed that the Warhammer has much higher armour penetration (but lower power).

Btw just got Armour of Insanity and am trying to find a way to make it not look ridiculous.

Transmute is the only way I know... I know I hated the look but I also didnt want to spend 60k AD to change it... The only other thing is to look for an alternative...

As for Lizard vs Hammer. Lizard is much higher damage and since this set gives alot of ARP in the gear, you start seeing dim returns after around 1500 which is what you get from the gear. You will also approach the cap really fast even from a bad Dex roll (with a fire buff) putting you at 15 Dex. So 1500 ARP rating + 5 Dex is close to what 19%-20%? So adding more ARP from the Hammer wont do alot... If the gear didnt already give so much, it would begood.

As an alternative its good tho, if you cant fine Lizard... But lizard > Hammer pretty easy...
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    kimonka wrote: »
    Wooohooo, it's updated! ^_^! (Pretty awesome that the prices are even lower)
    Although, is it wise for me to use defense on enchants for all of these pieces?. Figured that being more sturdier wouldn't hurt in pvp.

Defense wouldnt be a bad way to go, although I think youll get more bang for your buck using HP enchants (no dim returns) and since GFs already have high mitigation, when you add even 185 defense your really not gaining much mitigation but adding 700+ HP is a really nice improvement especially on the terms of EHP (effective health pool)...

I havnt dont the math tho so I guess its up in the air...
  • Options
    geargogglesgeargoggles Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Recovery is almost useless in PVP. My personal opinion is that timeless is not that great. I prefer Stalwarts or the gear posted above.

Recovery gives you shorter cool downs, so it's not completely useless. Having a knockdown on a shorter cool down = good.
  • Options
    ocdonlineocdonline Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Transmute is the only way I know... I know I hated the look but I also didnt want to spend 60k AD to change it... The only other thing is to look for an alternative...

As for Lizard vs Hammer. Lizard is much higher damage and since this set gives alot of ARP in the gear, you start seeing dim returns after around 1500 which is what you get from the gear. You will also approach the cap really fast even from a bad Dex roll (with a fire buff) putting you at 15 Dex. So 1500 ARP rating + 5 Dex is close to what 19%-20%? So adding more ARP from the Hammer wont do alot... If the gear didnt already give so much, it would begood.

As an alternative its good tho, if you cant fine Lizard... But lizard > Hammer pretty easy...

Thanks for the info. Ended up getting both the Warhammer and the Scimitar - might experiment with both.

After playing around with the blue versions of this gear (not quite 60 yet), decided that it was the Wolf helm that made the Armour of Insanity (or Madness) look particularly goofy - have found a helm that imo looks quite good with it (Helm of Opportunity) but unfortunately its a level 49 green (image posted in the 'Show me ur Guardian Fighter' thread).

Have looked at some of the more affordable purple alternatives to Armour of Insanity on the AH and they all seem to have 'tanky' stats with none of the offensive bonuses - so will probably stick with the Armour and modify the other components of the set. The demonic look sort of suits a Tiefling GF anyway!

Really wish the costs of transmuting weren't so prohibitive.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    ocdonline wrote: »
    Thanks for the info. Ended up getting both the Warhammer and the Scimitar - might experiment with both.

After playing around with the blue versions of this gear (not quite 60 yet), decided that it was the Wolf helm that made the Armour of Insanity (or Madness) look particularly goofy - have found a helm that imo looks quite good with it (Helm of Opportunity) but unfortunately its a level 49 green (image posted in the 'Show me ur Guardian Fighter' thread).

Have looked at some of the more affordable purple alternatives to Armour of Insanity on the AH and they all seem to have 'tanky' stats with none of the offensive bonuses - so will probably stick with the Armour and modify the other components of the set. The demonic look sort of suits a Tiefling GF anyway!

Really wish the costs of transmuting weren't so prohibitive.

The ONLY substitution I would make if you dont like Insanity look would be the Greywolf Breastplate (around 4k AD) to which your losing arp and lifesteal but gaining recovery. I guess if you did that you could pair the warhammer for the ARP but overall that would only (arguably) be on the same lvl in PVE and would be lackluster in comparison in PVP...

It looks ALOT better though and would be the only option... You do get more crit and power that might help more for lower armor classes... If looks were REALLY that important to someone I guess you could run that route...
  • Options
    merelathmerelath Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Hi Guys
    Can someone suggest me a full gear for a 100-150k AD Guardian Fighter Class?
    Not for PvP. Only for epic team quests, bosses etc.
    Thx for reply. Cheers.
  • Options
    tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    merelath wrote: »
    Hi Guys
    Can someone suggest me a full gear for a 100-150k AD Guardian Fighter Class?
    Not for PvP. Only for epic team quests, bosses etc.
    Thx for reply. Cheers.

This setup(with tweaks depending on if you want to change stat focus) will do nicely in PvE. I personally wore a 2 High general and 2 Knight captain + Lizardfolk Scimitar. From there you can move to something like full stalwart, etc.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Defence and deflect is the most important skill in the items?
    For what should i seek for? Power isnt nessesary?
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Defence and deflect is the most important skill in the items?
    For what should i seek for? Power isnt nessesary?

Are you going for a massively tough tank, a balanced damaging tank or a (toughened)glass cannon?
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Well i dont wanna die so often when i fight epic bosses. What to chose?
    Maybe u can suggest some items to buy
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Well I don't wanna die so often when I fight epic bosses. What to chose?
    Maybe u can suggest some items to buy

You can start with the gear I recommend, which should give you a respectable 2.8k+ defense(depending on what feats and paragon path you chose) when paired with the Crusher shield and a Braced Trollhammer(not as good for DPS as the Scimitar, but has defensive stats).

You can then stack defensive enchants for deflection/defense as well as movement in utility slots and choose accessories based on what stats you feel your still want more of.

Checking the Beholder AH prices:
    High General
    • Helm - 35k
    • Armor - 50k
    • Gauntlets - 30k
    • Greaves - 7k
    Knight Captain
    • Helm - 28k
    • Armor - 3.6k
    • Gauntlets - 2.5k
    • Greaves - 4k
    Crusher Shield, Braced Trollhammer and Lizardfolk Scimitar are 2k, 5k and 5k respectively.

So, the HG Gauntlets and Greaves, KC Helm and Armor with a Trollhammer and Crusher Shield will set you back 76k. As a bonus, wearing 2 part KC, 2 part HG gives you +850 arpen, which makes up for the relative lack of it in the gear stats themselves.

The setup in the OP is still much better value, the base parts(head, armor, hands, feet, weapon and shield) costing ~14 to 15k and still giving a decent 1985 defense with more than enough offensive stats for any T1 dungeon. It'll feel fragile in a T2 dungeon though.

It really depends if you want to dive into T1 with a high value, high DPS setup and try and farm your T1 set(probably stalwart) then go to T2 or go straight to T2 with a versatile (but not so offensively oriented) setup that costs a lot more.

Additionally, you might want to change your playstyle if you're dying too much in dungeons. On a difficult run I'll often slot Fighters Recovery and at least two AOE powers in addition to Cleave for a near instant health regen(fighters->damage spam->build AP->repeat). So long as you don't get knocked prone or do terrible DPS fighter's recovery spam is nearly guaranteed to keep you alive.

Of course, if you've just gotten to L60 and still wearing a smattering of green gear and with a GS under 6.5k or something, either setup is going to be massive step up.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    tang56 wrote: »
    Checking the Beholder AH prices:
    High General
    • Helm - 35k
    • Armor - 50k
    • Gauntlets - 30k
    • Greaves - 7k
    Knight Captain
    • Helm - 28k
    • Armor - 3.6k
    • Gauntlets - 2.5k
    • Greaves - 4k

Confirmed prices are ROUGHLY accurate for Mindlfayer as well.

If it were me, I would go with my OP set up and then move into set items. If you really like the KC set or HG set, you can swap out a few pieces (probably helm/boots) for those and grab the 2 piece bonus.

In all the best bang for your buck is the OP post, for PVE T1 and PVP.

If you ONLY want PVE path, honestly farm the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> outta mad dragon for the Stal Helm and then just buy the other 3 pieces and go 4/4 Stalwarts. That is BiS setup hands down. To farm mad dragon, the OP set is plenty good for it... So stick with that...
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Guys what to change in my inventory? On an epic fights i am not so good with this.
    Unfortunatelly i have 0 of armor penetration aswell.

fas0.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Guys what to change in my inventory? On an epic fights i am not so good with this.
    Unfortunatelly i have 0 of armor penetration aswell.

fas0.jpg

Not true, you have 14 dex which is the eqiv of 4% armor ignored. You also get fire buff giving 1% more armor ignored meaning you have the same as 5%...

MOST of MY arp comes from my Ioune stone (or w.e its called) I socked Rank 7 Darks in there along with neck/ring that have arp on them too. I use Pyro rings for arp and the neck with arp and a belt with arp...

I have only radiants R7 on my character NO Darks except my pet and I can get maxed armor ignored (24%) with the fire buff...

Here is my current set up http://gateway.playneverwinter.com/#char(Tempirius@ayroux)/charactersheet

Note that my GF isnt my main anymore I play a Broken Sent GWF for PVP purposes. No point in PVE anymore except CN farm runs which I DO do on my GF.
  • Options
    kimonkakimonka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Bump, this is a pretty good set up ^_^!.