test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Buff companions please

dragredderdragredder Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 20 Arc User
edited July 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
all my companions are like weak punching bags at the high lvl dungeons
Post edited by dragredder on

Comments

• tinukedatinukeda Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    you could always buy a better companion, ya know
  • dragredderdragredder Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    i got a panther and phoera
  • fathomfulfathomful Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 207 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    My Ioun stone is ammmmaaazzzzzing.
  • dragredderdragredder Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    i already got good enough stats
  • silveralucardsilveralucard Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 410 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    cat is awesome as well :D
    Everything works out in the end . If it hasn't worked out yet, it isn't the end...
  • flatfootsamflatfootsam Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Signed and agree whole heatedly with OP.

Everything but the cat and stone of allure are pretty lame. The striker pets need a serious boost. Especially the Purple ones!
    The lost Halflings~Code:NW-DC5DGPFJR
  • lejdglejdg Member Posts: 79
    edited July 2013
    I agree. at the moment there is only cat or stone... every other companion is useless... i got a lvl 30 phoera too... useless :D - would like to see more diversity here. (and yeah, cat is amazing :D)
  • lltsnwnlltsnwn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 787 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    dragredder wrote: »
    all my companions are like weak punching bags at the high lvl dungeons

Buy a stone or cat.
    12.jpgRanger.jpg
    edited July 2013
    i would actually prefer the striker pets get buff to be better and more powerful punching bags
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The companions function in such a way that unless you can tank for them, then they're pretty useless. If you're a squishy, they have neither the damage, nor the defenses to survive going toe-to-toe with the enemy.

At the very least, they need better AI as far as avoiding red circles/AoEs goes and/or blocking in some fashion.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • fathomfulfathomful Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 207 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    I will say however i plan on my GF having an epic angel pet.

Only 342 more days to go!
  • silveralucardsilveralucard Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 410 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    fathomful wrote: »

i plan the same as well however XD as companions current state not sure if it will be worth it XD or if it will die fast XD
    Everything works out in the end . If it hasn't worked out yet, it isn't the end...
  • walk2kwalk2k Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    my striker pet just stands there doing nothing 90% of the time.

which is probably good since if he goes near the enemy he takes a dirt nap real quick.
  • teng3nteng3n Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    i already got good enough stats

o.O

You can never have too many stats. Especially when you get an 8% bonus from an Eldritch.
    edited July 2013
    i find it dumb how the direwolf is better than the panther when the panther is in a more expensive pack
  • chidy1776chidy1776 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I 100% agree with op. I use the cleric and pheora with lvl 5+ enchants and t1 epics and they both only last about 30seconds in a fight. I want to get the ioun stone but im till saving up for that. Ive noticed that my cleric will be killed by even the normal low hp monsters in just a hanful of hits, so whats the point in using companions. They last about 1min if youre lucky and they ussually are more trouble then theyre worth due to pulling extra adds and such.

I really like the idea of companions, just like to see them actually live the duration of a fight.
    Paul 60 guardian fighter on mindflayer.

Rising Star, fun friendly, community focused guild on mindflayer. We strive to help each other and enjoy the game together. Talk to me for info, or feel free to check and join our community at risingstarneverwinter.enjin.com
  • alaerickalaerick Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 166 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Easiest way to fix pets is make them 100% immune to all AOE/Cone/Special attacks. If they have direct hit aggro meaning actively being targetted and attacked they take damage. That's it. Problem solved for pretty much all of them. This would not add more load to the server in requiring better AI to know when to dodge. Trying to improve pet AI is a problem in and of itself since it requires more computations per second. Simply making them immune solves the same problem without the overhead. :)
    A beautiful death awaits you...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    -Foundry-
    Campaign: The Battle of Neverwinter - NWS-DOQXFA4ZD
    Prologue: A not so simple plan - NW-DCJG75B9D
  • sominatorsominator Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Thanks y'all! We're continually working on companions to make them even better, and appreciate your feedback!
    Proud member of Team Fencebane, official guild of the unofficial Neverwinter Adventure Hour!
  • relnorelno Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Well, I would like to have better companion balance/diversity as well.

My green level 20 cleric is more like an undead, should have a zombie appearence instead of her actual tiefling appearence (but still marginally better than the common level 15 cleric).
    edited July 2013
    chidy1776 wrote: »
    I 100% agree with op. I use the cleric and pheora with lvl 5+ enchants and t1 epics and they both only last about 30seconds in a fight. I want to get the ioun stone but im till saving up for that. Ive noticed that my cleric will be killed by even the normal low hp monsters in just a hanful of hits, so whats the point in using companions. They last about 1min if youre lucky and they ussually are more trouble then theyre worth due to pulling extra adds and such.

I really like the idea of companions, just like to see them actually live the duration of a fight.
    i totally agree. i would also like to see my companions survive a whole fight while doing a large amount of damage
  • derspenglerderspengler Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    fathomful wrote: »

Even if I quit the game within the next year, I'm marking the first anniversary on my calendar to come back and see everyone that's saved up cash in their coins for that thing. Protector's Enclave is going to look like it got gated to the Seven Heavens or something.

After a year's buildup there's probably no way it can match up to people's expectations though :/
    edited July 2013
    sominator wrote: »
    Thanks y'all! We're continually working on companions to make them even better, and appreciate your feedback!

Can u also make the panther more responsive?
  • valwrynvalwryn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,620 Arc User
    edited July 2013
  • drquinchdrquinch Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    i find it dumb how the direwolf is better than the panther when the panther is in a more expensive pack

Yup, I have both. And I never use the Panther. Damage wise its about the same as the Direwolf (per hit), however the LONG animation for the "pounce" effectively lowers DPS and also means that the mob you targeted is usually down by the time if it actually decides to move/attack. I've actually found the Panther to be worse than the Man at Arms (white) companion for doing its job. I think all of the "Striker" Companions suffer from the same flaw in that they do not attempt to gain combat advantage (as a DPS/Rogue companion with lower defences you would think they would act like one). My only suggestion would be to add an AI behaviour for Striker companions to circle around a MoB that has already been placed in melee combat by the player (thus there is now a point to owning Striker companions).

Other suggestion would simply be to add three companion buttons with "Attack", "Defend", "Passive" to combat the awful AI that companions currently have.

I think that the companions are designed for the open world maps. Dungeons are for 5 players and have tougher mobs. Buff the companions for end game dungeons and you would need to make the open world mobs as tough as Dungeon mobs. What messing things up is that the aug companions ARE viable for end game dungeons (although the benfits they offer aren't that massive (even with purple Talismans end game)). My suggestion would be to make aug companions take the same damage as the player (in the case of the stones), so that they stop being the automatic choice for players (ie there is now a point to having other companions types). I take it that they would not last an encounter in an endgame dungeon. But if they can occupy a low end MoB for 15 secs, that a LONG time in a fight. We just need to be able to combat the awful AI they currently have and stop them trying to take down the boss while low end adds are wandering around (perhaps a change to have companions ONLY target adds?).
  • drquinchdrquinch Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    chidy1776 wrote: »

I think one of the things that needs to go are the excessive knockbacks from companions (I have an Cant Wiz and its crazy the way it flings MoBs around). Instead of KBs, make the current KB abilites simply trigger a "Prone" state (thus you still have the interrupt from the companion without causing the extra adds to a fight which is the bane of the current system).
  • shadowmystryshadowmystry Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    First.... that fire bird (w/e its called) is <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> end of story.
    Second all they need to do is make combat and healing pets immune to dmg... augment pets don't die... that's why they rule. The dmg pets when equipped properly do good dmg and have good abilities... but once you start playing lvl45+ they stand still and die, making then <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. I have no idea why they thought it would be a good idea to even give them health pools.

If all pets couldn't die (die when u die only) would u switch from an augment? As a cleric I wouldn't but I imagine some ppl would. And why can't we use companions in PvP? I would then most likely use a combat pet that had some cc.
  • atroxmortisatroxmortis Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    On a side note to all of this I would like to add in as well as makeing the companions more dureable / viable. let us have some way to tell our companion to engage what target we want instead of haveing to wait for us to attack one and it come chargeing after our cute behinds. I am abit tired of haveing my tanking pet, the stone elemental, haveing to wait for my cleric firering of the first shot before, if at all, it charges in to save me. I have taken the talents to reduce agro, so yea it easy takes the target of me, and I can sucessfully smite the foe, but its still annoying not being able to go; "Hey hit that target and I will heal you"
  • urizendorurizendor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 45
    edited July 2013
    Augment companions don't die (Ioun stones, cat). Try them.
  • synfoolasynfoola Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Even if I quit the game within the next year, I'm marking the first anniversary on my calendar to come back and see everyone that's saved up cash in their coins for that thing. Protector's Enclave is going to look like it got gated to the Seven Heavens or something.

After a year's buildup there's probably no way it can match up to people's expectations though :/

Heh. And two days later, it'll be on the Zen Store. :D
  • drunkhealsdrunkheals Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    spunkmeier wrote: »
    After reading post after post about how all companions are <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> except cat+stone I now have no desire to purchase anything else. Also, with no options to tailor companions to your, or your parties, play style many are made even worse.

Pretty sad that all the possible companions I would like to try are so useless that spending to get them is just a waste.

Yep, this.......