test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Neverwinter Noir now open for review (and review trades) :)

2»

Comments

• Options
    drnoesisdrnoesis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It's still in reviewer only mode at the moment, so youll need to configure your account for reviewer access (ive not had enough reviews to have it made live for all), and then it should be searchable by the short-code. I've just this second double checked, so can confirm its definitely available at the time of writing.
    ow1b.png
  • Options
    avatre21avatre21 Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Ah ha! I forgot I'm playing on my second account! Really looking forward to this one! :)
    The Lonely Dagger Saga:
    The Lonely Dagger Inn
    NW-DHMMZR6BJ
    The Not so Lonely Dagger
    NW-DB19TTKY5

The Beginning of the End:
    Once Bitten
    NW-DUPFPJNSW
  • Options
    drnoesisdrnoesis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I hope you enjoy it :)

Apologies for the PE quest waypoint bug, I'm working on a work around, but for the time being, I hope you don't find having to relog to pick up waypoints too frustrating :(
    ow1b.png
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    thalazar1, review on your quest done and I've sent you a PM :)
    wuhsin, not going to have time for yours this evening, but you're next on my list :)
    ow1b.png
  • Options
    oortexploreroortexplorer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 185 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Played your quest, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Great story, and you hit all the right beats for the traditional "film noir" style (aside from possibly some romance - perhaps with one of the Mrs. M's?). Good characters and maps, challenging encounters, solid all the way through. It was long, but never got boring. Hastings made me laugh, ie. the "cop" always catching the protagonist in a compromising position on a lot of detective shows.

Here's the thing: if you want this to get a lot of plays, you are going to have to reconsider the PE bug issue. One option certainly would be to wait, and hope it gets fixed at some point. In this case, you should provide some additional info. Like when we leave the bar for the first time, it simply says "Leave the Bar". Then outside, the quest is gone from the journal and the player has no idea where to go, because it wasn't mentioned by anybody. If you'd said head to Such-and-such place, right beside Driftwood Tavern, or something along those lines, it might help the player get there. You did do this once for the sewer entrance, although I couldn't find it and still had to log out and back in lol.

It's tough enough to get many players to read 4 or 5 sentences, much less log out of and back into the game 4 or 5 times. Therefore my advice (and I know this will create some extra work), would be to use one of the Protector's Enclave mini-neighbourhood maps. There's a few in there, and this would enable you to keep the quest in P.E., but have the bar, office, house entrances all on one map that doesn't force players to log in and out all the time. Since you've already built those maps, it really wouldn't be that much work ...

Couple of typos:

Author intro - "generated by the Foundary, and cannot be influeneced" (Foundry, influenced)
    Umbo - "seem's simple enough" (don't think you need that apostrophe there, seems simple enough)
    Donnovan (late in the quest) - "evidentally" (evidently)
    Donnovan - "I'm glad to see you made it out in one peice" (piece)

One other thing, there are lots of "Press F to interact" and "Press F to go to next map" prompts. A minor point, but there is a place to add a direction, so instead of "Press F to go to next map", it can say "Press F to enter Col. Umbo's Office".

All in all, a very solid piece of work. With some tweaking and polishing, you could have a real winner here. A fine quest.
    All's Fair in Love and War - Explore the lighter side of Neverwinter!
    Code: NW-DJ5BFT52F
    Author: @oortexplorer
    Now eligible for Daily Foundry!
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    thanks for the feedback :) Will get on to the typo's when able.... really should have gotten the missus to read it through as she's a monster for typo spotting when copy editing lol.

I've picked out a mini neighbourhood to use for this quest, but as it stands at the moment, I'd need to create a separate copy each time the player changes map, which I think would push me well beyond the map budget for a quest. (Not sure... cant find any hard numbers for it, only reports that players stop being able to chain custom maps after a point)

I'm currently looking into trying to code it so that I only need to use the one version of the map, and keep returning players there. Unfortunately, the doors in those maps don't function the same way as those in Neverwinter Adventure Zones, I have to use invisible clicker's to make them usable, which brings in its own set of issues as you then need to figure out how to activate the "doors" in the right sequence.

I think the only way to achieve this would be to have each door require a map specific quest object (some kind of clue from the previous map possibly) to make it visible, the problem being that I haven't figured out how to remove quest objects from players inventories after use, so all maps could be accessed over and over once unlocked, and doors leading to different map instances (for different stages in the quest) could unintentionally drop players to an earlier instance of the next map, if that makes sense?

Using objectives to achieve the same doesn't work, ironically, as they're map specific, so they wouldn't hang from the quest chain in the same way.

Anyhoo's will keep butting my head against this until either me or cryptic get a solution out there lol

Unsure whats going on with the "Press F to interact" dialogue boxes. Within the foundry, I've added something to the object name and interact text for anything that is even remotely clickable, with the same for all map transitions, but they only seem to work when they feel like. I've probably missed something stupid with them, but unsure what lol.

Anyhoo's shouldnt waffle on about the pains of quest development and bug fixing lol.

Thanks for taking the time to work through the quest and for your suggestions :) It's REALLY encouraging to see that I'm mostly dealing with a few typo's and missed ID tags, and a big bad bug I hadn't known about till publishing but am working on.

While developing, I was terrified that all I'd hear about was that the quest or dialogue was rubbish or stilited, or the combat was unbalanced and made it impossible to play with certain classes, etc etc, so it's all good :)

Take it easy, and I look forward to taking a look at "All's Fair..." over the next few days :)
    ow1b.png
  • Options
    redneckroninredneckronin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    drnoesis wrote: »
    I think the only way to achieve this would be to have each door require a map specific quest object (some kind of clue from the previous map possibly) to make it visible, the problem being that I haven't figured out how to remove quest objects from players inventories after use, so all maps could be accessed over and over once unlocked, and doors leading to different map instances (for different stages in the quest) could unintentionally drop players to an earlier instance of the next map, if that makes sense?

There's a consume needed item on use option.

But that won't help.

You can't take an object out of one map and in to another.

All The Best
    Campaign: Call Of The Wild - Information, Links To Review Threads, Screenshots

Looking For Reviews For Your Foundry Quest?
    Drop By Scribe's Enclave & Meet Up With Volunteer Reviewers.
  • Options
    avatre21avatre21 Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Just finished the quest. Just a few additional notes for you that's probably already been pointed out:
    • Col. Umbro: 'The woman that was just in here before, I don't remember meeting her before.' Would read better if you removed the first 'before'. 'The woman that was just here, I don't remember meeting her before.'
    • 'kind of life a well off accountants wife would live' - kind of life a well-off accountant's wife would live'
    • Agent Donnovan: (outside the cell and at the very end) 'in one peice' should be 'piece'
    • Agent Donnovan: 'proceedure' should be 'procedure'
    • I got stuck in a spike trap going down a slope in the sewer and had to leave the map after being unable to move for five minutes, worked alright the second time though.
    • Overall I thought it was a good idea and with a good story, but I really believe it would benefit hugely by adding some satirical descriptions, in blue [OOC] writing that would sort of read like a voice over, it would add a lot more to the story.
    The Lonely Dagger Saga:
    The Lonely Dagger Inn
    NW-DHMMZR6BJ
    The Not so Lonely Dagger
    NW-DB19TTKY5

The Beginning of the End:
    Once Bitten
    NW-DUPFPJNSW
  • Options
    zbkoldezbkolde Member Posts: 689 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Been looking forward to your quest every since you posted in the author introductions thread. :)

It was great, i loved the feel of it. For awhile it felt like an entirely different game. It's a shame the PE map bug is affecting it's progression. Also, i don't know how the timer works for foundry quests where you return to a public map in between objectives. Does it keep counting time? Because, one of my guildmates came online that i hadn't talk to for weeks, and i spent quite a bit of time chatting with him while standing in PE between objectives. I hope that i didn't skew your average duration, i noticed it went up after i completed.

Sending you my notes in a forum private message.

P.S.: I see some reviewers are talking about the PE map bug, asking you to reconsider using it. Hopefully, this is being fixed soon. I really liked re-entering the normal world with all the other players around going about their normal business, unaware of the mystery i was working toward solving.
  • Options
    oortexploreroortexplorer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 185 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    You would need to make a copy of the "neighbourhood" map for each time you needed to use it, as you mentioned. I am not sure if there is a limit on the total # of maps per quest, I'm sure there probably is but I have no idea what the # is. If you decide to go this route, definitely a good idea to find out first. If you discover you'd be over by 1 or 2, you could work around it by having someone meet you right outside their office door, or have something happen in the outdoor map.

It's a tough one. As the previous poster mentioned, it is kind of fun to be walking around regular PE during a quest, but then again there's a reason you don't see this all the time. If that bug gets fixed, I am sure we'd see it a lot. You could theoretically work your *** off to fix this and then have the P.E. problem fixed on Friday morning, or it could last for years or never get fixed. Who knows, but it's going to be real hard to get this one off the ground while this problem is still there.

As for the "Press F" prompts, once I figured out how to change them, I never had a problem so I don't know what might have happened in your case.
    All's Fair in Love and War - Explore the lighter side of Neverwinter!
    Code: NW-DJ5BFT52F
    Author: @oortexplorer
    Now eligible for Daily Foundry!