test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Wizard DPS chart

freehugs9freehugs9 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 201 Bounty Hunter
edited July 2013 in The Library
I made this chart for my wizard, thought some people might find it interesting.
How does it work? Tweak your stats so that they roughly line up horizontally for maximum DPS.
e.g. 4000 Power, 2200 Recovery, 1600 Critical Strike, 1900 Armor Penetration all hit the same line.

Please be aware though, that a different spec or gear to mine will alter the value of stats, which is why I've added a list of assumptions.

CW_DPS_Chart.jpg
Post edited by freehugs9 on

Comments

• Options
    kerrovitarrakerrovitarra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 559 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    And where is chart?
    I don't see any link or something like this.
  • Options
    fondlezfondlez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    What is your base INT, CHA and WIS, please?

The chart would be a lot more useful with that information. At the moment, the only stats it provides value for is Power and ARP.
  • Options
    cleanorcleanor Member Posts: 40
    edited July 2013
    If I am reading this correctly, after you get 1900 Armor Penetration, more DPS is added by increasing power instead?

We have a lot of people saying 2350 is the magic ArP number, but this is likely just for T2 bosses, and your analysis seems to average in add and boss encounters both?
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    26 Int, 21 Cha, 15 Wis. (Edit: sorry wrong value for Cha, fixed now)

The value of armor penetration of course depends on what your hitting. Like the chart says I assumed an event spread of damage on adds and bosses. If your focusing a boss you'll get more damage from more ArPen, but I tend to leave that to the Rogue.
    Maybe I'll make a full calculator, I've got the data for it.....watch this forum. ^_^
  • Options
    chridokchridok Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Soz guys but i can't understand: assailing force reduce mitigation of 15% (using coi;thaumaturge spec)so why you need 1900 arp ?i think 1000 arp is enought...
    Sorry for my eng and thanks in advance for your answers.
  • Options
    lupita170lupita170 Member Posts: 122 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    chridok wrote: »
    Soz guys but i can't understand: assailing force reduce mitigation of 15% (using coi;thaumaturge spec)so why you need 1900 arp ?i think 1000 arp is enought...
    Sorry for my eng and thanks in advance for your answers.

Because armor pen is applied before debuffs, and mitigation debuffs (assailing force, ray of enfeeblement, wicked reminder from a TR, etc) can push mobs into the negative. Bosses in t2's have 24% damage resistance, and require 2530 armor pen to bring them to zero, whereas trash mobs have 22%, or 2230 armor pen.

1000 armor pem is absolutely not enough, 1000 armor pen is the amount of armor pen you can get from a fully geared ioun stone or cat pet.
  • Options
    chridokchridok Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    lupita170 wrote: »
    Because armor pen is applied before debuffs, and mitigation debuffs (assailing force, ray of enfeeblement, wicked reminder from a TR, etc) can push mobs into the negative. Bosses in t2's have 24% damage resistance, and require 2530 armor pen to bring them to zero, whereas trash mobs have 22%, or 2230 armor pen.

1000 armor pem is absolutely not enough, 1000 armor pen is the amount of armor pen you can get from a fully geared ioun stone or cat pet.

TYVM for your help
  • Options
    phantomlambphantomlamb Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Great chart, thanks!

I'd add that, for top end fights, killing things by damage is not always the mage's primary responsibility. I don't disagree that DPS is important, and that killing things IS control. But for the hardest fights, it's more important to have Singularity ready ASAP, killing with a punt rather than by reducing HP to 0. My point is, maximizing DPS is important, but if you weigh any stat heavily let it be Recovery. There is still a lot of value in hiking it over 2200, for sure.
  • Options
    mortmagemortmage Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    This is exactly what I've been looking for. Thank you!
  • Options
    ohman1336ohman1336 Member Posts: 32
    edited July 2013
    Great job. with this graph and looking at the dimnishing returns of ArP above 2000, I think you could safely say that ArP above 2000 is a "waste"

Assuming this graph is fairly accurate, you could draw the conclusion that:

with 2000 arp it is better to..
    increase recovery up to 3500
    increase crit up to 2700
    increase power up to 7000~
    before increasing your ArP..

And since you won't ever get more than 7000 power, you could also say that there is never optimal to go above 2000 ArP as a CW.

This is atleast my interpretion of it! Unless i missed something i don't see a scenario where it's necessarry to go above 2000 arp
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    ohman1336 wrote: »
    with this graph and looking at the dimnishing returns of ArP above 2000, I think you could safely say that ArP above 2000 is a "waste"

Nothing so categorical. Diminishing returns is largely irrelevant for Armor Pen since it has explicit soft caps in PvE. In other words, if you could afford to cap ArP, then you would do it, even if only as a bonus to your role as a CW that you already meet. It is the most efficient general DPS stat rating by a mile.

PvP is a different matter with many additional factors to consider...
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    fondlez wrote: »
    Nothing so categorical. Diminishing returns is largely irrelevant for Armor Pen since it has explicit soft caps in PvE. In other words, if you could afford to cap ArP, then you would do it, even if only as a bonus to your role as a CW that you already meet. It is the most efficient general DPS stat rating by a mile.

PvP is a different matter with many additional factors to consider...

dimnishing returns is not irrelevant for numbers below 2530, if you read below the quote i explain my argument why it's not worth putting more than 2000 ArP. Just look at the graph and see how little damage you get per point after 2000 ArP. It would be worth putting more than 2000 ArP after having about 7k power, 2.6k crit, 3.5k recovery but you will never reach those values. All this can be interpreted from looking at the graph, however for those statements to be correct the graph does ofcourse also have to be correct.
  • Options
    kerrovitarrakerrovitarra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 559 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    If you are a singularity bot and don't hit boss, than you can stop at 2000 arp. You even can stop at 0 arp, cause you are a singularity bot.
    Arp is the best damage stat: the closer you get to cap, the more you get damage increase. Cause most of -defence skills will directly increase your damage on same percentage. My personal record is 240k and I have proofpic for my 208k crit (w/o vorpal, btw). If you can get more crits with only 2000 arp, than we will talk.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    The reason ArPen drops so fast is that you hard cap a larger and larger percentage of your targets. Realistically it's value depends on your play style and the fight.
    If you're doing Spell Plague end boss and knocking stuff off the ledge the whole fight, only Recovery matters.
    If you're doing Frozen Heart end boss and single targeting the boss he whole fight, Armor Penetration up to 24% is going to give you the most damage.

What the graph shows is an average sample of all fights: a mix of boss and add damage.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    ohman1336 wrote: »
    dimnishing returns is not irrelevant for numbers below 2530, if you read below the quote i explain my argument why it's not worth putting more than 2000 ArP. Just look at the graph and see how little damage you get per point after 2000 ArP. It would be worth putting more than 2000 ArP after having about 7k power, 2.6k crit, 3.5k recovery but you will never reach those values. All this can be interpreted from looking at the graph, however for those statements to be correct the graph does ofcourse also have to be correct.

So, as shown on the graph, at roughly 2000 of each corresponding rating (other than Power), what would you rather have for the underlying stat for the next 500 points(*) assuming it was given to you for free and based on your own experience of your CW in PvE? Go on, pick one:

A. 1.3% Critical Chance
    B. 3.5% RSI + 3.8% AP
    C. 4% armor ignored on boss
    D. 500 Power = +138 damage on your Ice Knife, +10 on your MM, etc.?

The issue is that some CW would say "C" and just as many would say "B", some dodgy ones would say "D". I doubt any, even Renegade post-major patch, would say "A" but who knows...

The reason for the differences is different contexts and different playstyles. You cannot readily theorycraft such things beyond a certain point.

Of course, the above is a bit of a false choice since you can have all of them up to silly DR levels, except for Power. So, its an issue of cost and efficiency, really. It also does not take into account Defensive stats.

(*) This assumes the the usual roughly equal stat itemization for ratings on most items.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Crit is random, recovery is overcapped in HV set. The only question: is 500 power equal to 4.17% direct damage increase to boss (4% armpen) in ancient, t2, t1 gear.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Crit is random, recovery is overcapped in HV set. The only question: is 500 power equal to 4.17% direct damage increase to boss (4% armpen) in ancient, t2, t1 gear.

Not sure where you got 4.17% from, but Armor Penetration is nearly 50% better than Power at the 2536 point cap.
    Doing two thirds of your damage to the boss? Go for 2536 Armor Penetration.
    Doing half your damage to the boss? Armor Penetration drops below power at 2100 points (or 2227 if your only other targets are at 22% damage reduction).
    The more you spread out your damage against lower armor targets the less DPS you're getting from Armor Penetration.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Maybe I wrong at math, but let hypothetical spell hit for 1000 for target with 0 armor. With 4% armor you will hit for 960.
    960 is a 100% of damage you do with 20% arp.
    Now you increase your arp to 24% and ignore armor completely. Now you hit for 1000.
    960 - 100%
    1000 - x%
    100*1000/960 = 104.17% or increasing damage for 4.17%.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    bah i've got trouble deciding now:
    full HV
    Power: 4383
    Crit: 2038
    ArP: 1932
    Recovery: 3415
    Defense: 1056
    These are my stats, all i need is to decide how to enchant/choose my rings:
    drake ring (142rec/142crit/142power) (no enchant) : replace with ancient necro or ancient control? and what to enchant with
    ancient control (154rec/154crit/154power) : what to enchant?

According to the graph I should enchant both with power? (or power/defense if i get ancient necro)

or maybe tenebrous?
  • Options
    paleoguypaleoguy Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Wondering the same myself, since I'm about in the same position - sitting at around 2k armor penetration and now debating if I should enchant the rest with ArP or Power.

The data seems to suggest Power, but I've heard from several people to reach the 2.5k ArP cap first.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Well tell me this guys, what fights do you find are the hardest and what do you do in those fights?
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    freehugs9 wrote: »
    Well tell me this guys, what fights do you find are the hardest and what do you do in those fights?

don't find any fight hard tbh. I just want to maximize my damage output :P. Mostly run CN where i use CoI/MM on boss and push adds
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Well then get enough Recovery to enable the add pushing, Armor Penetration to 24% (since all your DPS is on the boss) and use the chart to balance Crit with Power.
  • Options
    conway33conway33 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Could be talking negligible amounts at this point, but so you're saying it's worth it to invest the extra ~300 in ArP to reach 24% over putting that in, say, power, because of strictly getting 2% extra reduction in boss fights? Granted I have never done CN, but to me it doesn't seem worth it to obtain the extra 2% for only bosses when you could invest elsewhere and get a overall increase to damage and/or recovery in all fights. But I very well could be mistaken.

Also just wanted to say I'm very appreciative of your work and help. Definitely has been a big factor in deciding my stat makeup.

Oh and would you be able to provide the graph with a wider/further x-axis?
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    conway33 wrote: »
    Could be talking negligible amounts at this point, but so you're saying it's worth it to invest the extra ~300 in ArP to reach 24% over putting that in, say, power, because of strictly getting 2% extra reduction in boss fights? Granted I have never done CN, but to me it doesn't seem worth it to obtain the extra 2% for only bosses when you could invest elsewhere and get a overall increase to damage and/or recovery in all fights. But I very well could be mistaken.

Also just wanted to say I'm very appreciative of your work and help. Definitely has been a big factor in deciding my stat makeup.

Oh and would you be able to provide the graph with a wider/further x-axis?

I'm only suggesting that for Ohman for the setup he described. 18% or 20% is what I'm personally aiming for, depending how how it works out with my gear.
    I could extend the graph but what would be the point? You'd need about 16,000 power for it to drop below 4000 Recovery.
  • Options
    jackshiznitjackshiznit Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Can someone be nice and point me to a full explanation of how all the stats work, interrelations, and gear, how they affect damage, AP gain, and recharge speed. That would be awesome! I mean, how on earth do you even figure this out, Cryptic publishes nothing?

<--- clueless
  • Options
    threeravensthreeravens Member Posts: 50
    edited July 2013
    Afaik, there is no such post. It's a cumulation of experience, dredging combat parsers and testing which feats/powers do what when and to whom :P.

Here's what I know so far:
    • Power - adds a certain amount (see tooltip in-game) to your weapon's damage. Scaled differently for different powers (see above for gain on MM versus Ice Knife). No diminishing returns.
    • ArPen - reduces the innate damage resistance of bosses/mobs (24% for bosses I believe). Applied first, before any other effects provided by powers/feats (RoE/CoI etc.). Because of this mechanic it is possible to put enemies into 'negative' damage resistance (i.e. increasing the damage you do to them by the negative percentage). Has diminishing returns (after 2000 I think - might be wrong).
    • Critical Chance - percentage based chance for you to score a critical hit each time you do damage (note: some CC powers will not provide their damage to CC immune targets, while others will - EF on bosses will do no damage, even though it can still proc SS on cast and will give AP, while ST will do its damage). The bonus damage done by crits is governed by critical severety (75% standard, increased by feats and enchants - vorpal). Has diminishing returns (don't actually know the values)
    1. AP gain and Power Recharge
    First: AP generation is improved by Recovery as well as your secondary attribute - Wisdom - on a flat percentage increase basis. So for example (numbers out of the blue, not actual):

standard RoE gives 100AP - you have a 20% bonus from recovery - you will actually gain 120AP.

Next: Some spells have a flat AP gain amount (RoE, CoI, IT), while other's is based on the number of targets hit (Shield Pulse, TAB Entangling Force, Steal Time? - not sure here).

Last: The Controlling Action feat will give you an increased AP gain if you strike a controlled target, the bonus is applied last (afaik) - hence the huge AP gain on Shield Pulse when used on targets pulled by Singularity.

Power Recharge - see above link + also increased by INT.

[LIST=2]
    [*]Damage
    [/LIST]
    Things get somewhat more complicated here. Basically you have 3 stats working together: power, arpen and crit. At the moment it looks like arpen is applied first (which is why it is so powerful, tho not he only reason), then the damage you gain from power is added to your weapon damage, and then crit is piled on top if it procs.

So: power+weapon stat = your basic damage => applied to target after it's resistance to damage is calculated (with arpen coming first) x (multiplied) by your crit severity if your crit 'procs' (governed by your crit chance).

Damage is also buffed by a variety of effects coming in from feats, power effects (chilling cloud) and gear set bonuses but those are also applied AFTER your damage mitigation. This is why you should time your hardest hitting powers to go off after you have the max bonuses and debuffs on the target (CoI/RoE/Chill Stacks etc.)

Hope this helps.

ps. This is what I've learned so far both from in-game and the community here, If I made mistakes (I expect so), someone who knows better please step up and point them out so we can straighten them out.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Arp has no diminishing, but has cap for pve.
    as well as your primary attribute - Wisdom
    Since when CW become clerics?
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Arp has no diminishing, but has cap for pve.

Since when CW become clerics?
    ArP has dimnishing, aswell as a hardcap. All stats except power dimnishes with the more stat you get
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Can someone be nice and point me to a full explanation of how all the stats work, interrelations, and gear, how they affect damage, AP gain, and recharge speed. That would be awesome! I mean, how on earth do you even figure this out, Cryptic publishes nothing?

ThreeRavens post gives you the gist of it, and the things I've worked out are here:
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?301761-Calculating-stats-and-their-effects