test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

When to use ward when fusing enchantment runes?

ifartedagainifartedagain Member Posts: 69
edited July 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Like the title said, when should I use a ward?

or should I only use it when fusing epics into epics?

Use ward when going for Rank 6? 7?
I love the sweet aroma of my own flatulence. #DontJudgeMe.
Post edited by ifartedagain on

Comments

• beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Obviously you want to use coalescent wards on the 1% fusions.

For anything else, look at the cost of losing the enchantment or rune vs. the cost of a ward (times probable number of tries to succeed).

Market prices on Mindflayer right now, it's worth it to use a preservation ward (or several) to fuse Silvery Enchantments from 6 to 7, for example, but not Training Runestones.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • beech75beech75 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Recently its become apparent to me that the fusing odds have changed a tad. Never had a problem fusing from 5 to 6...1 or 2 fails "maybe". Now...suddenly in the last 2 weeks its failing upto 5 times in a row. Wards are now definitely required from rank 5.
    edited July 2013
    No, you don't "need" wards for those fusions. If you're using a ward that sells for 3500ADs to keep from losing a rune that sells for 600ADs... well, why would you do that?

Neverwinter Census 2017

• mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    No, you don't "need" wards for those fusions. If you're using a ward that sells for 3500ADs to keep from losing a rune that sells for 600ADs... well, why would you do that?

While this is true for 'Green' wards that are consumed on an unsuccessful attempt, the situation is more complicated with the 'Blue' wards that guarantee a successful fusing. In the case of a blue ward, the decision whether to use it or not depends on the fusing chance, and not only the cost of the lower rank enchantment.

Suppose the chance was 1% so you need an average of 100 attempts to get a successful fuse. Without a ward, it would cost an average of 100 times the price of the lower rank enchantment to get a successful fusing as opposed to the cost of getting a blue ward off the AH.

So if the chance of a successful fusing is low it makes sense to use a ward even if the ward costs a lot more more than the price of the lower rank enchantment.
    edited July 2013
    My initial post said you have to do a full cost analysis, and that you definitely use the coalescent wards on the 1% chance fusions.

But to go from 5 to 6, you have a 40% chance of success, and even if you lose a few pieces in the process, losing a preservation ward every time is much more expensive, and using a coalescent ward would just be foolish.

Neverwinter Census 2017