Install Arc
Options

MMO's are getting absurd. (long)

2»

Comments

• Options
    zellexzellex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Good luck in your search man... I totally agree with your idea. The only reason I would not join you is this:

Once you have done a dungeon it's exactly the same every time. There is no AI in this game at all. You could probably pull out a stopwatch and time exactly when a boss or a trash mob will do a particular move.... seriously no sarcasm intended whatsoever. The only reason I play this game is to mess with the mechanics of each class and see how they work. I've run some dungeons to get to the end killing every mob and having no deaths... it's simple unless you are playing with complete rejects... which by the way I have and we still finished with no problems except the cleric getting a bit annoyed by some of the antics.

Pulling it off perfect? There are really no mechanics in the game that call for REAL skills imo. I don't mean that to be disparaging it's just a fact. Even in solo dungeons which I can't recall if it's new or not tbh... I was opening a chest after I cleared a room and a group of mobs spawned out of nowhere behind me? REALLY? It was no big deal... noticed it now in a few solo dungeons... but seriously if that is their idea of a challenge... c'mon...just feels like a cheap ploy to make things harder without putting in any effort....I don't know who comes up with ideas like that on the dev team but I would love to hear from them personally on how they came up with such a wondrous idea.

Like I said I would join someone like you normally but in this game... I just don't see the point. Yeah, I know I was ranting... and people and the OP probably don't care but... meh...
  • Options
    draekusdraekus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    So far this is working. Got a guild going called Apocalypse.
  • Options
    lostmarblesherelostmarbleshere Banned Users Posts: 654 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Wotc should get another company to make another MMO D&D game using the newer 5.0rules
  • Options
    rangurenranguren Member Posts: 4
    edited July 2013
    the simple reason why the exploitation is DD is based on timeline instead on daily counter, so people were try to finish it as fast as it could so they can re-enter again and again while DD is active, the exploit itself not in the map, but the DD event it self.
  • Options
    isleeislee Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The worst part about skipping and bugging the content is that there's nothing WORTH skipping to. The boss fights are so underwhelming. We just fight a super critter of whatever type we've been fighting, but with infinite adds. I haven't seen a more disappointing boss fight since Runescape 2005.
  • Options
    clcmercyclcmercy Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 308 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Good luck with that.

Neverwinter is not only a very badly designed MMO, it is a badly designed game entirely. And obviously a rushed job out of Cryptic, a company that hasn't done anything right since CoH. Neverwinter is basically just an online version of Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots, as the PvE content is the worst in any MMO ever released to the North American market. Add to the mess a UI that is obviously designed for console play and this game will be over and done by Labor Day.

Actually, City of Heroes was garbage UNTIL Craptic sold it. Only after the game was free of this fail at implementation company did it shine.

I'll give Craptic some credit, however. The do have good visionaries working for them. Good idea guys. They just can't design worth beans.

Occam's Razor makes the cutting clean.
  • Options
    alaerickalaerick Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 166 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    I got a GWF I rolled on Dragon. I'd be game for joining in mind you I'm not quite 60 yet there. (My main is a 60 CW on Mindflayer) If you are accepting like minded people regardless of level then I'm game otherwise I might hit you up when I finally hit 60.. been enjoying 39 pvp for the time being with fraps running. hehe
    A beautiful death awaits you...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    -Foundry-
    Campaign: The Battle of Neverwinter - NWS-DOQXFA4ZD
    Prologue: A not so simple plan - NW-DCJG75B9D
  • Options
    nagrukknagrukk Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    To clarify there are exploits and there are "shortcuts". exploits are things like glitching through walls/outside of the map or using bugs to instakill bosses. Shortcuts are using abilities, the actual environment/terrain, skills or knowledge to avoid certain packs of trash mobs or shorten the duration of fights against them.

Most if not all legit players are fine with removing exploits but shortcuts are there by design to reward players for their knowledge and/or skill. If you want to leeroy through dungeons aggroing everything and doubling the time it takes you to complete them, feel free. But there's nothing wrong with players who'd rather not be terribad at video games not wanting to do it your way.

Exactly this!. I feel like running near a wall to avoid a pack is part of the game, It feels like sneaking in. On the other side, running through mobs trying to reach the next campfire, or dying in a specific spot so you resurrect in the next campfire... thats bs.

I also feel that luring the boss to a corridor where his habilities are less dangerous (like a knockback) and his reinforcements dont see you is part of the game, killing a boss from a ledge where he cant counterattack, or instakilling with any kind of exploit its bs again.
  • Options
    riqitariqita Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 297 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    draekus wrote: »
    To me something like the above is incredibly stupid. Time wasted. No fun had. Nothing learned by the new player. No rewards gotten and no friends or teamwork produced. I've had these kinds of experiences over and over again in dozens of online games and I'm simply not doing this kind of **** ever again. There's fun to be had even in Neverwinter I just need to stop playing with the special olympics and find some other players who feel as I do. Hopefully I can. I know I'm a bit 'old-fashioned' but that's the way I am.
    Yes. I had a similar situation occur during GG's Fardelver Crypt a couple days ago.
    Once everyone zoned in, we were instructed to run past the trash mobs to the final gate.
    So, I ran my cleric as fast as I could to the final gate and activate the trigger for the boss room. But, I'm the only one who made it that far, so, I'm zerged by the mob train I created. Then leader says, " We lost our healer. Stop running ahead of everybody, Priest! Follow the tank! You guys want to be able to run this 4-5 times or just twice?"
    And I'm thinking, you know, twice in 30 minutes would be just fine.
    I think we wiped 2 or 3 times just trying to run past the trash mobs, even though we could have easily taken them out if we had just engaged them. Those mobs are pretty easy.
  • Options
    riqitariqita Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 297 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    draekus wrote: »
    I still get a thrill of excitement when even the smallest fight goes perfect. There's a satisfaction to be had at being the best or at least very good. It's like when you play the guitar. Even if you're skilled there are moments where you pick the strings perfectly, even if only for a few seconds and it feels like lightning going through your arms. It's a thrill. Even though this game is clearly made for Farmville-like profit it still has some remnants of what was once good and what we all originally should have enjoyed: A challenge.
    I suppose so...
    But, I never really get a feeling that fights in Epic dungeons go perfectly.
    It feels cool if we actually beat the boos and claim our treasure, rather than wiping and/or too many players bailing.
    With most boss fights I'm mostly feverishly mashing buttons and either trying to stay in the healing circle, or create one if I'm the healer.
    During a Pirate King run, right after the healing circle nerf, our cleric berated my CW after our 1st two wipes to focus on the archers and dodge more. And I'm all, "I can't see which of the adds are archers. There's a ton of adds and I'm trying to take them all out while I stay in the healing circle. And how does anyone make it to 60 without trying to dodge as often as possible? If you don't keep the healing circle up, it's difficult for me to Control."
    I get that it's an action MMO, but it would still be nice to be able to focus more on the tactics of fewer mobs rather than constantly avoid a zerg rush. Epic boss fights are far removed from what it's like to play a guitar... Unless you're talking some crazed metal riff.
  • Options
    draekusdraekus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    alaerick wrote: »
    I got a GWF I rolled on Dragon. I'd be game for joining in mind you I'm not quite 60 yet there. (My main is a 60 CW on Mindflayer) If you are accepting like minded people regardless of level then I'm game otherwise I might hit you up when I finally hit 60.. been enjoying 39 pvp for the time being with fraps running. hehe

Send me a mail ingame to Mannox@draekus or catch me online later tonight or this weekend. The guilds advertisement in social is looking for level 60 players but I will of course invite like-minded people who are sub 60 that I encounter. Such as yourself. Looking forward to meeting you.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    riqita wrote: »
    I suppose so...
    But, I never really get a feeling that fights in Epic dungeons go perfectly.
    It feels cool if we actually beat the boos and claim our treasure, rather than wiping and/or too many players bailing.
    With most boss fights I'm mostly feverishly mashing buttons and either trying to stay in the healing circle, or create one if I'm the healer.
    During a Pirate King run, right after the healing circle nerf, our cleric berated my CW after our 1st two wipes to focus on the archers and dodge more. And I'm all, "I can't see which of the adds are archers. There's a ton of adds and I'm trying to take them all out while I stay in the healing circle. And how does anyone make it to 60 without trying to dodge as often as possible? If you don't keep the healing circle up, it's difficult for me to Control."
    I get that it's an action MMO, but it would still be nice to be able to focus more on the tactics of fewer mobs rather than constantly avoid a zerg rush. Epic boss fights are far removed from what it's like to play a guitar... Unless you're talking some crazed metal riff.

You've presented a perfect example of what I'm talking about. You were probably in a pug, no one was teaching you anything and you're probably used to using some kind of wall exploit to avoid being hit by the champs while the DPS kills the Pirate King. Sounds like a sound plan until one little hiccup and then the party is forced to deal with an army of monsters they had not until this point been learning how to manage. (To spot the archers look for the thin but short monsters with hats.)

I met a new player last night and had a friend online. Epic Pirate King was exactly the same dungeon we ran (during a DD). Our second attempt on the king was the victory but even the first try was a great fight. Three of the players in that party had never done Epic Pirate King before. Our new guild member in fact was a fresh 60. However, everyone communicated with each other. I was friendly. Got everyone talking and we were explaining tactics back and forth briefly between bouts as we went along. The entire run was smooth as silk and we even joked and laughed along the way. I'm not trying to cheese up the story but tell me this: When's the last time you had a good time in a dungeon? That is my point. We should be taking a step back to enjoy not only the content but our company. Most people need teachers. Not bosses there's a difference.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Actually, I was with guildies, but I mostly duo and have only run the very first two dungeons standard and Epic. Standard Pirate King a couple times, which was challenging enough.
    We got a request in guild chat, "Hey, who wants to run a dungeon to help me test out the Astral Shield nerf?" I was expecting Epic Cloak Tower or Epic Cragmire Keep, but we logged into Epic Pirate King.

The teaching consisted of after the first wipe was "Pay attention to the timing of the waves" which might have been fine if we had been able to clear the first wave rather than just have constant escalation of adds. You have to have a lull before you you can time a wave.
    And you also have to be able to clear adds enough to be able to distinguish mobs in order to "Focus on the archers".
    "You need to dodge more" is probably the worst piece of advice ever. Everybody dodges as much as possible.
    And the whole point of the exercise was to examine how the combat might be different with the duration of the healing circle being lowered.
    Of course, once we actually zoned in, the boys really just had to win. Even though truly what we actually had accomplished our stated goal of determining - yes, we're going to have to re-evaluate our pre-nerf strategies to account for the lower duration of Astral Shield.

I almost always have a good time in dungeons as long as we don't have elitist <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>'s bent on having perfect runs. Or people who bail after the 1st wipe.
    The most fun I have is soloing standard dungeons. My favorite dungeon experience was my 3 hour solo run of Idris.
    But, I have fun even if we aren't leet enough to beat the dungeon before we run out of pots and have to bail.
    Enjoyment isn't all about winning and being uber efficient or perfect. Although, winning is pretty much always fun too.
    Primary enjoyment in a party is just having fun with your comrades while attempting to win.
    Typically the most fun is probably with the trash mobs if the run up to the boss feels smooth and coordinated.
    I love running GG. Fardelver's Crypt is a fun casual dungeon. We could bask in the glory of smooth coordination if we had a pre-set party, I'm sure. At the moment, it mostly ends up being a PUG. And whether we get that "guitar" feel definitely depends on the class make-up and the experience and GS of the members of the group.
    Fardelver startegy for a cleric seems to be:
    Healing Circle, RUN, find some adds to hit to build Divinity, RUN, Healing Circle, RUN, RUN, Healing Circle, RUN, find some adds to hit to build Divinity.
    Feels smooth when allies keep adds off me so I don't have to run so much but leave enough adds that I can build Divinity.
    But also, feels like the generation of adds in that dungeon is reasonable... as opposed to Epic Pirate King where the generation of adds feels unreasonable.
  • Options
    vold316vold316 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    One of the thing that is pissing me off about all the most recent MMORPG's is that everything is built around their beloved AH; and they no longer get the loot they need for their character; instead of that they have to farm and farm and farm and farm... and farm, because of this insane RNG loot which is created thinking on the AH (since there is an AH where players put their loot for sale, the chance for an item to drop is decreased drastically so that the AH is not filled with them), and sell the stuff in the AH and then buy the stuff they really need with their currency.
    This is even worse when it comes to F2P games like NW where they ADD a currency which can be bought with real money.
    That is also a reason why the MMORPGs have become tedious.
    So, I'm better off with single-player games like Skyrim if I wanna play in an open world; and if I wanna get some PvP, I play FPS games like Battlefield or CoD, etc; or non FPS games like League of Legends or DoTa.
    I'm officially fed up with all this BS, MMORPG's will eventually die if they keep following this line; the only MMORPG on which I am intrested at the moment, is ArcheAge, because it's different.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"The harder the game, the better."
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    I pretty much ignore the AH.
    All kinds of way to get gear besides the AH.
    Easy enough to buy decent gear with glory or Grym Coins.
  • Options
    vold316vold316 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    riqita wrote: »
    I pretty much ignore the AH.
    All kinds of way to get gear besides the AH.
    Easy enough to buy decent gear with glory or Grym Coins.

The same items that you buy with glory can be bought with AD in this game.
    Anyways, that might work for casual players that do not really care about competing against others. Because believe it or not, if you do not use the AH, depending on the game, the odds will not be at your side when you compete against someone that uses it regularly (even in Diablo 3, the devs said that the game is not balanced around the RMAH or AH, and that you can play without them; I'm not sure about if that is how it works now, but the first time I got into the game it was clearly not how it was working); and obviously it's not how it works here either because they have a ZEN:AD converter.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"The harder the game, the better."