test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A Clash of Wills

varnavarna Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited December 2013 in Foundry Quest Database
"A Clash of Wills" by @scosglen
-Short Code: NW-DQ8I5BZSF
-Mission Type: Solo Adventure (Dungeon crawl, light horror, suspense, mystery)
-Average Duration: 30 minutes
-Amount of Combat: Medium
-Starts at: Lenalia Woods on the world map
-Mission Summary:

"The Red Buckler Mercenary Company has a job for you.

Something foul is stirring in the forests of the Sword Mountains. A spate of mysterious abductions has the locals in a panic, and even hardened mercenaries hired to investigate the situation have wound up missing. You've been offered a contract to locate these lost men, and finish the work they began."

-Author tips/hints: This quest was designed with a heavy emphasis on atmosphere. A significant amount of effort has been invested in scripting audio and musical cues to help set the tone as the mission unfolds, so I recommend playing with your game volume at audible levels for the best experience.

-Screenshots:
6HurTJ5.jpg
izaLIeL.jpg
yBVB5hN.jpg
NmwCALf.jpg

(High Res SS links) 1, 2, 3, 4
Post edited by varna on

Comments

• denysgoodkinddenysgoodkind Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Loved it. I was completely sucked into the storyline.
  • eatherrianeatherrian Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Did this tonight and found it quite good. I think you really succeeded with the atmosphere.
  • mfatalmfatal Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Agreed Upon. This was a very lovely Foundry Quest. Very well done. I love it when thought has been put in design, placement of props, usage of sound, art assets etc so it's just the right amount of stylising and still very natural. 10 out of 10 would play it again.
    Thanks.
  • longhorn90longhorn90 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Played through this last night and found it entertaining and overall an enjoyable adventure experience. From the very beginning I got a good sense of tension and mood from the descriptive text. As I followed the clues I could feel the tension increase and it made me want to keep exploring. This was my 2nd Foundry quest to go through and it sets a high bar now for what I expect from other user made content.

Nice job!
  • pyrophilepyrophile Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Outstanding work. I've always been a fan of good sound design and music, and this mission does it very well. It was also very well-crafted visually, and had an excellent storyline.

I assume there's going to be a sequel, judging from all those little hints at the end?
  • pwniexpresspwniexpress Member Posts: 33
    edited June 2013
    I've played through a dozen or more Foundry missions and this one is the best by a significant degree. You leveraged the strength of the Foundry as a story-telling medium by focusing on exploration, discovery and action, with a tight, focused story about the one character we don't need to be introduced to and are already rooting for -- the adventurer-protagonist. Anyone who wants to create content with the Foundry would do well to play through A Clash of Wills to see what great material looks like.
  • jasesharpjasesharp Member Posts: 70
    edited June 2013
    Good storyline. Wanted a little more mystery but in all it kept me entertained. Good job :)
    Interested in Vampires? Visit The Dhampire.
  • mackenzenmackenzen Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Have played this on multiple characters and enjoyed it each time. I like the way we progress through many different environments and the tone changes with each. Very well done and thoroughly entertaining.

This is neither a criticism nor a complaint: I was intrigued by the concept of the Red Buckler Mercenary Company. I was a little bit sad that I couldn't interact with them more, particularly at the end of the instance. I think I wanted a little more resolution of that side of the story.

Thanks for your hard work with this quest. I look forward to more.
  • hitlerulezhitlerulez Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I can't find the master's sanctum...
    "You wonder if something is meant to fit into the hole" <- I'm stuck there
  • varnavarna Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    hitlerulez wrote: »
    I can't find the master's sanctum...
    "You wonder if something is meant to fit into the hole" <- I'm stuck there

The quest trail and the map marker are directing you to a rolling stone door that you need to interact with for this step of the quest.
  • scott451scott451 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    This mission was awesome. I especially liked how hard the fighting was. On two separate occasions, I thought "this must be the end". But no. There was more. Nicely done. I was actually a little afraid to open the last door and see what I would be facing. It reminded me of Star Trek (the first of the new movies)........."FIRE EVERYTHING". I loaded up on everything I had, opened the door, and "BAM"......it started. I felt fortunate to get through this quest the first time. I look forward to more from this author.
  • baltars6baltars6 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Very Enjoyable. Great sound effects and music and "incidentals"; the floating purple things were nice and the "pst" from the Illithid actually made me go "huh, what was that?". This was my first foundy quest and I did this with my level 10 CW and I enjoyed the level of difficulty in combat. The story was excellently mapped out but the first part after the horse, I was expected to be ambushed or something, not just find another marker and move on. I guess I was just expecting a fight from the start, lol. The puzzle aspect was cool but the quest trail led me to a couple of walls and I had to search around a bit, but not more than a few seconds to see where to go. I REALLY enjoyed the varied monsters you used, and the mix of them was well thought out. I even jumped back a bit when those little brain things (sorry I scurried around shooting too fast to catch their name) popped out, nice touch!
    All in all, from a new player standpoint to NW, this was a very welcoming experience to the user created content, even if the rage on the forums is all against Cryptic. Gave it 4 stars because I didn't have anything to compare it to, but will come back for your next chapters and surely vote higher. Keep up the great work.
  • skarsysskarsys Member, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I heard good thing, will try it soon :)
  • fezziksoleyfezziksoley Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Not having any luck in the descent... can't find any way down (there is the giant hole, but nothing to interact with)
  • nordrothnordroth Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Not having any luck in the descent... can't find any way down (there is the giant hole, but nothing to interact with)

Same here. I've run it a couple times now. Still nothing to click on near the hole/chasm.
  • karitrkaritr Member Posts: 662 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    The patch corrupted quest maps/teleports and we have to wait for a fix to go in to make all quests playable again. Until that happens, the Foundry toolset and review function has been taken off line, so it's pot luck whether you find a quest that can be completed or not.
  • rockaholic2350rockaholic2350 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I am stuck at find the remaining buckler.. I went inside the cave killed the chieftain saw the bones the meat the mirror the dwarven chair and the hole.. But nothing happens when I am at the hole and I have no idea what to do.. I can't get out and I have ran through the cave a million times and can't find anything else... heeeellpp!!!
  • jfunkejfunke Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I am stuck at find the remaining buckler.. I went inside the cave killed the chieftain saw the bones the meat the mirror the dwarven chair and the hole.. But nothing happens when I am at the hole and I have no idea what to do.. I can't get out and I have ran through the cave a million times and can't find anything else... heeeellpp!!!

Same here. Absolutely cant figure out where to go. I've done everything.
  • mjilnoirmjilnoir Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    jfunke wrote: »
    Same here. Absolutely cant figure out where to go. I've done everything.

I guess I have the same problem. I have logged out multiple times and tried to finish. There is no "clickable" or interact enabled area by the hole. I can't leave the way I came in so I have to abandon the quest.
  • lolsorhandlolsorhand Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 981 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    mjilnoir wrote: »
    I guess I have the same problem. I have logged out multiple times and tried to finish. There is no "clickable" or interact enabled area by the hole. I can't leave the way I came in so I have to abandon the quest.

Please read the post by Karitr, then you will know why things are like this.
    I like turtles.

Brethren of the Five, Campaign. - Story focused
    The Dwarven Tale - Hack 'N Slash
  • zekatazzekataz Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2013

Just like everyone else, just a big black hole with nothing to click on :(
  • kaloian1234kaloian1234 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Agreed Upon,it's so wondeful.
  • encadiencadi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 67
    edited November 2013
    Buggy quest... Stuck at Find the remaining bucklers, nothign to click. Wouldnt recomend it to anyone doesnt seem to have been tested.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Sadly, the author of this quest has vanished, so it was never fixed after the bug that broke so many Foundry quests.

Before that, it was an awesome quest.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • dietebolacoladietebolacola Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Just played this one. It was great. Very well done. Nothing broke on the one I did. You do have to do some exploring to find where things are, when the waypoints aren't showing.

Anyway, I was hoping there was a way to contact the author. One of the creature types has a typo as "Thorought" instead of "Thought". Just a minor thing, really, but it did distract me a little during the battles with them.