test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Has anyone seen a successful CN run with GWF or GF?

killz2manykillz2many Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 146 Bounty Hunter
edited June 2013 in The Militia Barracks
Has anyone ever seen a Castle Never group succeed with a GWF or GF in there party? I'm not saying it's impossible, but I'm wondering if it ever happens. I find that once you get to the 8.3 and above dungeon set no one wants anything to do with GWF or GF.

Is it possible to just call this a 3 class end-game?
Killz2Many ~ Greatest Weapon Fighter ~ Dragon Shard
game-of-thrones-dani-burn-deal-with-it.gif
Post edited by killz2many on

Comments

• Options
    churchilligcchurchilligc Member Posts: 175 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I've beat all of the dungeons as a GWF, doesn't mean I felt useful (or rather, more useful than if I had come on my TR or played a friends CW).

I think you'll find the power you felt in T1 and below largely goes away due to the large HP pools of enemies you fight and our At-Wills/Encounters not really getting proportionally stronger to what they were before.

Playing CW or DC is gear dependent, but at the same time...not so much. They really just need the AP gain and they can do content - anything else is just efficiency+.

TR is largely the same, you need to be able to get that crit bleed tick but once you do it's smooth sailing. You can do this at the minimum GS requirement for any dungeon and be very successful.

When we do T1 and below dungeons, the bosses don't have massive HP pools, this doesn't allow TR to pull ahead 1-2m minimum every boss fight. The Elite/Champion enemies are similar - they don't have the HP for TR to pull ahead.

CW can do well here too, most of the time they can one shot the trash pulls but don't because at that point in time you aren't really rolling super meta 2xDC or 2xCW never take damage setups.

GWF in these same dungeons does proportionally more damage because their (small) piece of the pie seems much larger. Because of the huge jump in HP at T2, GWF then needs disproportionately higher stats to be seen as not dead weight. In addition to that, you have to be on top of your game the entire run and use shift cancelling to get anything out of your class.

Instead of one shotting mobs like T1, in T2 CW just does a ****load of damage to them and can chain that burst forever. TR can setup its massive 20k/tick bleed and hold down one button and parse highest in any dungeon but CN. Even a DC if specd for it can do a large amount of damage but it requires a bit of upkeep on their part and can be hard to maintain for an entire dungeon (especially CN).

But yeah, you can do CN. You just need to have a pro status CW since most rely on a second to cover up their mistakes.
  • Options
    killz2manykillz2many Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 146 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Yeah, you're 100% right. My question was mostly geared towards does anyone group with GWF in CN? As in, are there really groups out there that are willing to try?

My thing is, my GWF is decked out gear wise only real thing to do is bring runes from rank 6-7 and I'm very adapt at playing the class. But my experience on the harder dungeons is the "good groups" only go was CW, RT, and DC and any pugs you get fail a few fights and someone rage quits before you can finish the last boss while on DD.

I don't mind the game being harder, in fact I welcome it. I think people should try to complete these dungeons with all 5 classes because it makes the game challenging as intended.

I really don't think the developers intentionally made their design terrible. What they need to do is nerf CW, TR and give a buff to the GF. Because if they just buff the GWF and GF the game will just get even easier.

imo GWF is a fun skillful class because it requires you to do good at it to have a chance to succeed. Instead of making it like the other classes they should make the other classes like the GWF.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I have met a few groups (outside my friends/guild) that like taking a GWF. I disagree with their logic but I won't argue with it. I'd like to see a better class, a class good enough to replace a TR (though not kill something as efficiently).

As it stands, if you sit there as the only thing killing a boss as a GWF you're making your party members CC adds for an hour/waiting for someone to make a mistake so the group can wipe.

I get a lot of friend requests whenever I do pug groups, so basically you run with people and they see you aren't terrible and they ask you to come again sometimes.

I don't think nerfing the other classes is the way to go.
  • Options
    nymesis92nymesis92 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 270 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Did CN today twice with a GF in our group.
  • Options
    kargisterkargister Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Doable? Of course it is. The question you should ask is, is it puggable? The answer? Not only no, but HELL NO! I'm sorry, but when content isn't puggable its forgotten and left behind. Even good groups that can do it will only do it a minimum amount of times before someone gets fed up going into the cesspit and suddenly starts having "other" things to do sorry guys....

Actually the entire dungeon difficulty concept in the game is a bit off kilter. I leveled my CW and did Karrundax. Sort of. See, as a CW I never actually hit him. My fight was all about wave after wave of kobolds trying to kill our cleric, but golly, that red dragon really did look cool. Wish I could've fought him. Sadly, my boss fight was all about trash.

No, I'm sorry but the difficulty in these things needs to be lowered a touch. When something is so critical you start tossing out two classes to get through, GF and GWF, you've got problems in the works. In this case its with the classes yes, but also with the dungeons themselves.
  • Options
    uncag3duncag3d Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    yes you can you only need good dc/cw.
    FearITsSelf #1 GF
    From #1 Guild Pve/Pvp [ Lemonade Stand ]
  • Options
    axer128axer128 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Yea, a few times.

Completed every dungeon in the game on my GF actually.

I contribute decently, but its immensely more difficult to do that on a GF then litterally any other class. GWF can deal solid dps in there, especially since its such a heavy aoe dungeon.

GF? mm I can put out numbers in the 25-30+ million range in a long run, but yea still.. If I played a rogue at the same level, well it wouldnt even be funny the difference.

I ran my wizard on it first time today too.. Insanely more powerful. I actually out damaged our rogue even in the first section (no kb kills) (who is imo the best rogue in the game, hes insane).. It's all about the aoe in that first section.

Guard can do ok aoe dps, IF a CW stacks the mobs for him with blackhole.

But then again a 2nd CW can do nearly the same dps, better kb - and fill the critical role of CC in boss fights.

Main reason GF isn't wanted there is simple:
    Dragons are too freakin slow. So easy to dodge there attacks means the rogue tanks as good if not better.

Give dragons a few faster, near-undodgeable (or completely for cn), but low damage attacks. Stuff a guardian will shrug off like its nothing ,but a glass canon dps rogue will not enjoy - enough to break his stealth and slow his dps, to encourage the guardian to get agro.

PS: Ep Dreadvault is harder. And guardians are great there as they have knockbacks which are pretty key to the endboss fight, possibly even more valuable then rogues due to its unique design - at least very well played/geared ones.
    -Group tools in dire need of improvement, please read and reply to improve our community.
    -Epic Dread Vault Crushed.
    Characters (Dragon): Axer (60 Guardian, Leader of Crush It!), Controller (60 Wizard), Warlocker (60 Warlock)
  • Options
    sanctumlolsanctumlol Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 382 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I have run 1 of each class and I regularly run 1 cleric, 2 CW, 1 TR, 1 dps GF. It's the fastest possible group. "ok aoe dps" is hilarious, my aoe dps is retardedly high. I've parsed CN runs and i've peaked 200-250k dps while averaging 60-100k. On Dracolich TRs don't even outdps me by more than 1.5-2.5M over the course of the fight. People saying a CW can do about equal dps to a dps GF are crazy, it's not even close.

Funny you mention dreadvault, GFs suck there. You sit on the top right corner with 3 CWs 2 Clerics and and range the boss while pushing all mobs off the cliff.

People don't run with GFs because most GFs suck (which can evidently seen by people claiming any other class can outdps them).
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I don't think nerfing the other classes is the way to go.
    Sounds desperate to hold onto his easy mode class. Anyone who doesn't see the complete unbalance with classes just doesn't want to admit they're not that good, their class is just completely over powered.

When I'm in a group with 2 TR's or 2 CW's the dungeons are complete easy mode, which tells me the classes need to be nerfed. I'm not asking for the game to get easier, I'm asking for a balance of classes so that every class works just as hard to accomplish the same goal.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I also understand that it's doable to run with GWF and GF. But can you honestly tell yourself you don't feel like you're being carried through the dungeon? I can see a GWF being able to pull it's weight, though it's not optimal. As far as the GF I can't honestly say I've ever done a group with one and felt they where really doing anything. Yes there are times that they take the most damage, but not by a reasonable amount.

Here's an example of a group that would fail, fail, and fail. *Edit- In harder difficulty's T1's are easy mode for any setup*
    GWF, DC, GF, CW, GWF

3 DPS, 1 controller, 1 Healer, 1 Tank

Honestly I wouldn't even want to do a GWF, GF, CW, TR, DC.
  • Options
    micjijimicjiji Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    yes especially with the gf dmg bug
  • Options
    keobiaakeobiaa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    killz2many wrote: »
    I also understand that it's doable to run with GWF and GF. But can you honestly tell yourself you don't feel like you're being carried through the dungeon? I can see a GWF being able to pull it's weight, though it's not optimal. As far as the GF I can't honestly say I've ever done a group with one and felt they where really doing anything. Yes there are times that they take the most damage, but not by a reasonable amount.

Then you've only played with bad GF's, the majority of CN is pure AoE and with a stalwart set and a semi-decent CW GF's will pull their weight for the entire run, i'm normally top on damage as long as we kill draco in one go.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Are you saying as a GF you out dps rogues? or even CW and GWF for that matter? Or are you saying as a GWF you out dps rogues? I honestly find that very hard to believe because if bad rogues end up keeping the lead of top dps.

EDIT*
    Or are you talking pre-end game? Because that's not really what's in question here.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    CW should really be top damage in that fight unless they're knocking the adds to the campfire and never dealing with them again.
  • Options
    asdfasdfgfasdfasdfgf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 237 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I've done CN with 1 of each class as well as with 2 GWF's. It's not hard, and it certainly doesn't take much longer.

If you aren't finding groups, make them yourself. Let those people see you aren't a downy, run with them again. When someone achieves success they rarely stray from it, hence the wedge driven in between the classes as of current. You can hardly blame them, if 5 GWF's could easily clear content successfully, would you bother to bring other classes?

Don't blame the players, blame the developers.

Content scales from T1 being interesting fights with unique mechanics, to T2 being just add zergs as if they ran out of time, threw their hands in the air and said **** it. More adds.
  • Options
    rudolphobhrudolphobh Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    kargister wrote: »
    Doable? Of course it is. The question you should ask is, is it puggable? The answer? Not only no, but HELL NO! I'm sorry, but when content isn't puggable its forgotten and left behind. Even good groups that can do it will only do it a minimum amount of times before someone gets fed up going into the cesspit and suddenly starts having "other" things to do sorry guys....

Actually the entire dungeon difficulty concept in the game is a bit off kilter. I leveled my CW and did Karrundax. Sort of. See, as a CW I never actually hit him. My fight was all about wave after wave of kobolds trying to kill our cleric, but golly, that red dragon really did look cool. Wish I could've fought him. Sadly, my boss fight was all about trash.

No, I'm sorry but the difficulty in these things needs to be lowered a touch. When something is so critical you start tossing out two classes to get through, GF and GWF, you've got problems in the works. In this case its with the classes yes, but also with the dungeons themselves.

Please, don't say things like this. I play a GWF, and yes our class is behind the others, and that should be addressed, but there is NO PROBLEM with the dungeons. They are engaging, difficult, and fun.

There are plenty of other games out there that are easy and cater to people that want to win easily, without fighting for perfection. There is absolutely no reason that this game's difficulty should be scaled back in any way. Especially not the top end dungeons.
  • Options
    kwazikwazi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    You can do CN with whatever as long as you have a good CW and DC.

I've done a lot of T2s and completed CN, the only class I've lost in damage to are rogues. I've also played with very good CWs and I've outdamaged them as well. But in order to do that like chruch said, I have to sprint cancel everything and be extremely efficient with everything. But I think that goes without saying since I'm performing up to par with other players who are, I assume, are also trying to perform at max efficiency.

However I'm not denying that a 2nd CW would be better for a dracolich fight or a 2nd rogue/GF for faster boss killing but I really like being a GWF because I can perform multiple smaller roles, such as assisting rogue with boss damage (45% defense reduction with near 100% uptime is nothing to scoff at), helping the CW and DC do their jobs without fuss (by using roar stun + damage to grab aggro), and of course just straight up AoE killing adds.
  • Options
    forumz24forumz24 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    My primary guild group clears this with 1 of each class 3-4 times a day

proof: http://imgur.com/bMUMo9Q

Our kills average 5-8 minutes on draco depending on the RNG of the adds.
  • Options
    vaelosvaelos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    At this point a good TR/CW/DC can carry any other 2 players through CN
  • Options
    dilaniodilanio Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 44
    edited June 2013
    We do it all the time. If you want cheese mode in CN take 2 GF and watch stuff drop.
  • Options
    donaldtrolldonaldtroll Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Yeah well not even my guild will take me to cn as a ****ing useless <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> gwf... new guild or new game is the burning question...
  • Options
    piconsipiconsi Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I have done CN complete clear with my GF and my guild, it's only about knowing how to do. And I have run with GWF too.
  • Options
    nexdinenexdine Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Yeah I love playing the GWF, but at 60 and epics suddenly the game hit a wall. I'm still enjoying the class, but even in a decent guild you go "Looking for a delve" and it's crickets, usually. Or people going "CW/DC/TR" only. Seems as soon as you get to the epic level the idea of having a fun game goes out the window and the diseased level of loot hunger kicks in, and if you're even perceived to be a tad bit less efficient at the farming - poof, bye bye. Oh well, I guess I can admire my GWF from afar and then roll something that's actually welcomed. Just a shame, because there's no way the GWF or GF is less than useful.
  • Options
    loverboyusaloverboyusa Member Posts: 61
    edited June 2013
    I have done all the Dungeons on my GWF as the top damage dealer.
    happy days!
  • Options
    kreicuskreicus Member Posts: 76
    edited June 2013
    Beat CN last night! woo, and got an Ancient Shield from it. Each boss took only 1 try, except the last which took 2. Pretty successful as a GF. After the win we were discussing how to get a GWF in to work effectively, and it will take some tries to see how it works. We were thinking a pure comp of one of each class.

donaldtroll, I know that my guild tries to include each class in each dungeon and work to try to find the most effective use for said class. I'd say maybe you need to find a new guild? But there is a truth to the usefulness of GWF needing to be worked on, and if it isnt addressed in time,...maybe new game? :|