test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Idea for a redesign of "Healing Word"

bluthbananabluthbanana Member Posts: 49 Arc User
edited July 2013 in The Temple
Right now the skill Healing Words comes with a big problem. It is very difficult to target the partymember in need in a crowd. Thus very few healers actually use the skill in dungeon.

How about changing it to an AOE? Make it small sized, like Daunting Light. The healing could be evenly divided between all party members standing in the area. For the divine version only the player with the lowest health percentage gets the full amount of the HOT. If the cleric manages to hit a single player with the divine AOE anyways it could yield a higher amount of healing as reward.
I think this would make the skill very versatile and more fun.
Post edited by bluthbanana on

Comments

• tyrtallowtyrtallow Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 747 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    As far as I know in a coordinated environment (with mic chat/etc) Healing Word is a lot easier to aim since people will be better positioned. That may change if the battle becomes hectic, but with proper communication/coordination... well, you get the idea.
    This will be a nightmare to use in a raid environment though, but in a raid environment I don't think it's likely that the healer will be using Healing Word anyway.
    You there. New to the game? Feeling overwhelmed? Maybe you think getting to end-game is impossible for a casual player like yourself, or maybe you just need to be around a community that helps each other stay sane and competitive with the latest news, current trends, random chitchat and most of all LEGIT (that is, we try to keep things fair) gameplay. If you don't mind being around quirky people and the rare occasional drama (one of our prominent TR members is apparently a mafia godfather) join nw_legit_community at http://www.nwlegitcommunity.shivtr.com/forum_threads/2330542.
  • maahkremuirsongmaahkremuirsong Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Triage system , the team should go to you for heals, since most of our skills are for dmg mitigation and we do have a life steal debuff... the people who usually need a burst heal are the ones that are lazy to dodge spike dmg.
  • bluthbananabluthbanana Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    tyrtallow wrote: »
    As far as I know in a coordinated environment (with mic chat/etc) Healing Word is a lot easier to aim since people will be better positioned. That may change if the battle becomes hectic, but with proper communication/coordination... well, you get the idea.
    This will be a nightmare to use in a raid environment though, but in a raid environment I don't think it's likely that the healer will be using Healing Word anyway.

Often there are opponents in the way. And the opponents in Neverwinter do move a lot more than what I see in other games. If the spell could be cast while moving this would probably work better. But repositioning and casting while prone takes too much time for me to be worth it.
    Triage system , the team should go to you for heals, since most of our skills are for dmg mitigation and we do have a life steal debuff... the people who usually need a burst heal are the ones that are lazy to dodge spike dmg.

Ain't nobody got time for that!
  • mewbreymewbrey Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 517 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Id honestly like F1-4 select party members and F5 clear all target (Of course rebind-able). When having a party member selected via an F-key Healing word always targets them along with soothing light.

I don't really see how it removes "action" for a relativity static skill. Make a light glow effect around the portrait you have selected and the player on screen to have two visuals displaying for ease of recognition. While having a player targeted nothing else changes camera is still free and you can place ground targeted area of effect skills down freely and look around, however you will face the healing target when using healing word / soothing light from a character facing standpoint but will not spin the camera.
    ~*~ Foundry missions: Stronghold Branax : Goblin menace : Forwyn crypts ~*~
  • g0ld3n4c3g0ld3n4c3 Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    or just make it a party heal buff.

Like you cast it and all party members gets the HoT and make one charge with 13s on it. For Divinity mode make it heal more HoT.

there you get a cool HoT skill. If no, then there should be a feat for it, that makes it a party heal skill.

Funny thing is there are only one paragon path...yet we should wait for more "coming soon"
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Working on your position is up to you. The ability is fine, although most people underestimate it.

It's a very potent spell currently, and our only single target heal. I would hate to see it nerfed because people don't even understand they can move a bit to use it. Since in most parties, there is only one player taking a lot of damage (usually, the GF or the CW if he's good), a single target spell is a great option.

If you want an aoe, use bastion of health. I know it sucks but not moving sucks hard too. Please ask the devs to break your spells, not mines! :cool:
  • wholyhandgrenadewholyhandgrenade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    diogene0 wrote: »
    Working on your position is up to you. The ability is fine, although most people underestimate it.

It's a very potent spell currently, and our only single target heal. I would hate to see it nerfed because people don't even understand they can move a bit to use it. Since in most parties, there is only one player taking a lot of damage (usually, the GF or the CW if he's good), a single target spell is a great option.

If you want an aoe, use bastion of health. I know it sucks but not moving sucks hard too. Please ask the devs to break your spells, not mines! :cool:

I rely heavily upon healing word and it has to remain working like it does cause if it gets nerfed I can't replace it or fix the problems it would create. It would be nice if damaged targets would be healed before full health targets are, though that would mean if I see a rogue about to kill a party member that I likely couldn't toss a heal that blocks 80% of critical damage as well against it.
  • bluthbananabluthbanana Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    OK, i see from the pvp perspective it is different, as it is less crowded. The spell in its current state is probably working a lot better there.

In regards to movement in epic dungeons I am often happy to find a spot that is not red. So even if I wanted to there are certain limits.
  • arabaturarabatur Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 778 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    mewbrey wrote: »
    Id honestly like F1-4 select party members and F5 clear all target (Of course rebind-able). When having a party member selected via an F-key Healing word always targets them along with soothing light.

This would make life so much easier plus Cryptic already uses this feature in STO, so implementation shouldn't to be to difficult.
    Definitely not an Arc User.
  • fondlezfondlez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    As long as there's no nonsense like F-keys, making a mockery of an action combat game, I wouldn't mind seeing Healing Word targettting improved.

I like the OP's full suggestion, though others may work just as well if not better.

Also, for kiting purposes and other reasons, the charge CD should be affected by Recovery.

As it is now, I rarely use Healing Word due to its multiple issues making it effectively a very expensive Encounter to slot.
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    fondlez wrote: »
    As long as there's no nonsense like F-keys, making a mockery of an action combat game, I wouldn't mind seeing Healing Word targettting improved.

I like the OP's full suggestion, though others may work just as well if not better.

Also, for kiting purposes and other reasons, the charge CD should be affected by Recovery.

As it is now, I rarely use Healing Word due to its multiple issues making it effectively a very expensive Encounter to slot.

It's expensive but it's also the only spell able to fill the HP bar completely in divine/Crit mode in 7s.
  • dercavadercava Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The only problem with healing word right now is that it doesn't get affected by recovery / other means od recharge speed. So the CD stays the same.

When this gets changed, HW will be golden.
    Cyclop.. and I like coffee
  • pasainpasain Member Posts: 53
    edited June 2013
    dercava wrote: »
    The only problem with healing word right now is that it doesn't get affected by recovery / other means od recharge speed. So the CD stays the same.

^Agreed.

It really is one of the DC's most powerful powers. If you are having trouble getting past other melee classes to use it on the tank, then reposition yourself or use a better situated power. Shift around and use it, or use it on your outlier member and save your AoE heals for the bunched up group.
  • morsitansmorsitans Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,284 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I'd still tend to go with forgemaster's, since it actually does damage, too. If all is going well and the team isn't terrible, I can fire off non D'd forgemasters to gain extra DP/AP. With an AS/SB/HW bar I'd feel almost completely helpless.

Does it proc ethereal boon for every refreshed charge? That might make it more appealing (though I think I'd still stick with forgemasters).
    edited June 2013
    morsitans wrote: »
    I'd still tend to go with forgemaster's, since it actually does damage, too. If all is going well and the team isn't terrible, I can fire off non D'd forgemasters to gain extra DP/AP. With an AS/SB/HW bar I'd feel almost completely helpless.

Does it proc ethereal boon for every refreshed charge? That might make it more appealing (though I think I'd still stick with forgemasters).

clerics really need to be given another encounter slot, they should be able to slot 2 offensive encounters and 2 defensive/healing, the cleric's effectiveness is too compromised having only 3 (you can heal but you can't attack well, or you can attack well but you can't heal)
  • kronn2kronn2 Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Personally I love Healing Word, It's always on my bar, solo, group, pvp.. Love it lol. I generally don't have a problem targeting, I do agree it should be usable while moving and maybe bump up the amount it heals a bit other than that I love kepping a constant tick on the tank, especially now that AS is nerfed.
    edited June 2013
    kronn2 wrote: »
    Personally I love Healing Word, It's always on my bar, solo, group, pvp.. Love it lol. I generally don't have a problem targeting, I do agree it should be usable while moving and maybe bump up the amount it heals a bit other than that I love kepping a constant tick on the tank, especially now that AS is nerfed.

it seems to heal others just fine, its the cleric -40% mitigation that is BS and needs to go
  • gtxinsanegtxinsane Member Posts: 116 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Allow Clerics to cast encounters (also at-wills, for the lulz) on the fly. I wouldn't mind a 40% healing penalty on myself if I can keep running while casting my heals and sh*t.
    Gabriel Angelfire - Devoted Cleric // Karguk the Impaler - Great Weapon Fighter // Zephalyne - Control Wizard
    PVP: How to make your life less miserable as a Devoted Clerics -- Still in it's Unfinished Glory
    Dragon
    edited June 2013
    gtxinsane wrote: »
    Allow Clerics to cast encounters (also at-wills, for the lulz) on the fly. I wouldn't mind a 40% healing penalty on myself if I can keep running while casting my heals and sh*t.

I'd still mind it cause its complete BS.
  • uri92uri92 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    dercava wrote: »

I agree, recovery is healer cleric's main stat..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    - DRAGON - ( Mehrea DC 13.1k ) - ( Volsung TR 11.7k )
  • xouk87xouk87 Member Posts: 32
    edited June 2013
    I would change that BS feat that gives you 0.2-1% crit rating of your power and give 2-10%( 5 points) that when you cast healing word on allies or seal or enemies it works on every target in 20 yards radius. Also removing this hidden 0,5 second cast time while cleric has to scratch his put a thumb in the an*s of nearby monster then cast a spell ( that is instant in theory) would make things more fun and dynamic. Atm every cast looks like the cleric is fighting massive constipation every time he wants to cast.
    edited June 2013
    I wonder... what if Healing Word becomes a big channeling AOE-Nova type (pointblank), sort of like what Cutthroats do when they do their aoe heal, they start reading a scroll and do aoe heals.

While HW is being channeled the caster is immobilized of course, immune to control effects and takes 90% less dmg :), 10secs duration, 15sec cooldown
    edited June 2013
    I wonder... what if Healing Word becomes a big channeling AOE-Nova type (pointblank), sort of like what Cutthroats do when they do their aoe heal, they start reading a scroll and do aoe heals.

While HW is being channeled the caster is immobilized of course, immune to control effects and takes 90% less dmg :), 10secs duration, 15sec cooldown

We already are healbots, yet you want such a thing to become reality ? Standing and watching ?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • munkey81munkey81 Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Please Cryptic, dont listen to any of these guys. Healing WOrd is awesome, dont change it.

edited June 2013
    What's the point of Recovery if your powers are not affected by it ? AP gain ?

Healing Word should be affected by Recovery, that's the only change it needs, and it is totally legitimate.
    What if Lashing Blade wasn't affected by Power ? Seriously...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • itsneoitsneo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 74
    edited June 2013
    here is an idea... Turn on Health bars for your party members. Point in the direction of the bar that needs the most love. hold CTRL key and FIRE... NEVER MISS

EDIT: PS. Why not just fire off FF in divinity mode? Heals for just as much if not more.

IGN: DrDoom
    CLS: Heretic
    SVR: Atlantis
    IND ID:1000165G030200060007250S15fb1f

Healing word is nuts. I have tried to switch to FF for grinding, doesn't work. FF works great for bosses and even better later when you got massive recovery and can recast it fast. But healing word just beats it before that. The cooldown doesn't hurt quite as bad with 3 charges, and it auto targets yourself everytime. Unlike FF for which there is a certain radius.

The targeting is kind of borked in this game, targeting in general really. The health bar trick makes it easier, but in mass mobs finding and selecting a party member is always lagdeath because of the potion delay (actually, stop with all the stupid mass mobs at the boss, making players lag is not the way to make a game more difficult. A few strategic tough mobs along with the boss would do just as fine as 500 imps).

With that said, please don't change healing word. It's awesome.
    edited June 2013
    uri92 wrote: »
    We already are healbots, yet you want such a thing to become reality ? Standing and watching ?

Didnt you read what i said? we dont have a skill that makes us immune or neglect dmg for a considerable amount of time while healing. This would give us a great counter against several CWs using several Blackholes in mass pvp. We can now dive into a big fight without fear of being killed.

This can also be used to bide us some time during situations wherein we cant avoid damage.
  • g0ld3n4c3g0ld3n4c3 Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Didnt you read what i said? we dont have a skill that makes us immune or neglect dmg for a considerable amount of time while healing. This would give us a great counter against several CWs using several Blackholes in mass pvp. We can now dive into a big fight without fear of being killed.

This can also be used to bide us some time during situations wherein we cant avoid damage.

and people will stop buying the scrolls of life from cash shop...this is P2W game and a balanced Cleric means less income to them.
    GG
  • gunbahahagunbahaha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 139
    edited June 2013
    Healing Word is fine, evident by the fact that many clerics use it over the other 20 or so abilities.