test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Change the game to sub

lostmarblesherelostmarbleshere Banned Users Posts: 654 Bounty Hunter
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Not going to do a poll.

This game dev should do a first ever move of a F2P MMO to a SUB. I dont think it has been done has it? They should announce they will be changing to a sub base system. But they will also add more content and fix the issues first. Plus get rid of the cash store.

It would be better with a sub. For one the botters would start dropping like flies. Right now since its F2P they dont care if the account gets taken down... Ohhhh nooo just make a new one and start over botting again. Plus the game would have a steady flow of cash.
Post edited by lostmarbleshere on

Comments

• Options
    destinyknightdestinyknight Member Posts: 962 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Nahh. Changing the whole game to sub just to push out botters wont change anything. Botters will still exist.
    And again. nahh.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Nahh. Changing the whole game to sub just to push out botters wont change anything. Botters will still exist.
    And again. nahh.

Botter would drop heavy if it was sub. would end up at least to maybe 5-10% of the population and not 40 - 50 as it is now.
  • Options
    deliciousturtleedeliciousturtlee Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Pretty sure they'd lose most of their player base too. So, no thanks.
  • Options
    toughguyloltoughguylol Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    this game doesnt have enough content to keep a sub model viable
  • Options
    insomniacgluttoninsomniacglutton Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    that would kill the game ... really really fast.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Pretty sure they'd lose most of their player base too. So, no thanks.

They are loosing most of the player base already so that argument dont count.
  • Options
    nick1sternnick1stern Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 330 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Wow are people really that ummm .... can not think of a polite way to say it so ........
  • Options
    kevinf08kevinf08 Member Posts: 432 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I don't play games that require a sub so no thanks.

If I hadn't already spent some money on the game, I would maybe be coaxed into paying a one time fee akin to buying a retail box.
  • Options
    tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'd be outta here so fast if it was sub only.
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Unless you are WoW sub games have at most 5k players,(and before you bring eve up the vast majority of those players trade for plex) it just isn't a viable business model any more.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • Options
    foundrymakerfoundrymaker Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 253 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I would not even consider this game if it went sub....not for even a nanosecond..
  • Options
    zephryl1zephryl1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 220 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    With the amount of bugs and the lack of end-game content, a subscription model would kill this game.

Also, offering to fix the staggering amount of bugs (Some of them crippling) as an incentive for people to pay for a subscription... Yeah, just no. Fixing bugs should be to prevent embarrassing your company, not an attempt to get money from people.
  • Options
    lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Not. Going. To. Happen.

Guys, PWE doesn't do sub models. The ONLY reason that subs are in STO and CO in the first place was that PWE was contractually obligated to provide subs for LTS players when they acquired Cryptic.

It's not in their business model to do so otherwise.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
  • Options
    ageia417ageia417 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Not going to do a poll.

This game dev should do a first ever move of a F2P MMO to a SUB. I dont think it has been done has it? They should announce they will be changing to a sub base system. But they will also add more content and fix the issues first. Plus get rid of the cash store.

It would be better with a sub. For one the botters would start dropping like flies. Right now since its F2P they dont care if the account gets taken down... Ohhhh nooo just make a new one and start over botting again. Plus the game would have a steady flow of cash.

I understand why you'd want this, but right now, they have a lot of real people who play and use the zen market because they can pay for what they want and not have to pay a sub every single month to do it. I fear that if they made it sub only they'll lose a great deal of the customer base who plays free but spends cash in the shop. As much as I hate to admit it, I've got to say I think they maybe make more money from cash shop purchases than from subs when they lose player base by going sub.
  • Options
    mrz1mmersmrz1mmers Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    NO!!!! NO!!!! NO!!!!!

That is all :)
  • Options
    tickledpinkstickledpinks Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 276 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    The problem I see is the instant gratification effect. I would have easily payed what i have payed in rl cash for zen on a sub and spent my time playing the game trying to get what the zen store offers as drops....and...not be so bored now.
  • Options
    mrz1mmersmrz1mmers Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The problem I see is the instant gratification effect. I would have easily payed what i have payed in rl cash for zen on a sub and spent my time playing the game trying to get what the zen store offers as drops....and...not be so bored now.

True, but that could be solved with a better cash shop model, reserve the cash shop for fashion and purely cosmetic item purposes.... people shouldn't be able to buy 110% mounts, coalescent wards, bigger bags, and respecs, those things should all be earned.
  • Options
    daemonspadedaemonspade Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    i missed thread with sense ... what were you thinking when you created this topic? didnt you already know most players already quitted this game? and with this bugs and glitches so this is your best suggestion to make the game sub?
  • Options
    theirishchicktheirishchick Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Not. Going. To. Happen.

Good Good Good.
    Also sensible
  • Options
    hurk97hurk97 Member Posts: 154 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Not going to do a poll.

I'd be down for this.
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Member Posts: 6,694 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Not. Going. To. Happen.

Guys, PWE doesn't do sub models. The ONLY reason that subs are in STO and CO in the first place was that PWE was contractually obligated to provide subs for LTS players when they acquired Cryptic.

It's not in their business model to do so otherwise.

And seems they have managed to farg up that part now also.
    :rolleyes:
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    faustasdmfaustasdm Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Why is playerbase a fact now? Where do you pull the numbers from? Do you even have the numbers?

Looking up at xfire (yeah i know this covers a little of playerbase, but still it's a statistic, not a thing pulled out of my...)

http://www.xfire.com/games/nw

The numbers have mostly stabilized, and those lowest parts are patch days anyway. So where is this people are not playing thing? New players quitting? This is in every MMO.
    Artificer.jpg
  • Options
    thejadeemperorthejadeemperor Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Not going to do a poll.

There have been f2p mmo opening up sub based servers before, although only on trial based, and failed. The latest one I know of was Allods. It announced a monthly sub only server but it took only a couple of weeks before the company was sold.

I prefer to pay a sub fee to get everything when every MMO in the market was sub based but that time was years ago. Either adapt to de facto f2p model now or just slip into oblivion.
  • Options
    miorummiorum Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    It would be better with a sub. For one the botters would start dropping like flies.
    I played WoW way before they even thought of the 'f2p until lvl20!' idea -- there was a steady flow of bots and goldsellers in every major city.

I would considering changing to a subscription if there was actual communication and feedback other than "Thanks for making this thread!" - there's a number of bugs still not fixed and still in the game since the very beginning. People have pointed them out repeatedly - but the only thing the current patches do is introduce more virtual stuff for real money.
  • Options
    arielluariellu Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    There have been f2p mmo opening up sub based servers before, although only on trial based, and failed. The latest one I know of was Allods. It announced a monthly sub only server but it took only a couple of weeks before the company was sold.

I prefer to pay a sub fee to get everything when every MMO in the market was sub based but that time was years ago. Either adapt to de facto f2p model now or just slip into oblivion.

See no reason at all why there could not be an 'Optional' sub model for those that prefer their gameplay that way, does not mean everyone has to subscribe so if there are insufficient volunteers then you can close the subs. At least then they would get some additional revenue as I think most of the players that have left have got frustrated with playing against those who just pump piles of cash to buy their gear and prefer a skills based game, if its grinding for cash you want might as well play diablo III.

And much like the almighty cry that goes out for PVP in just about every game that is released. Its a minority voice but a loud one. The player base is probably evenly split between, Genre Lovers, Soloists (adventurers), Groupers/Guildies, PvPers, Botters/Farmers, Casual and Hardcore players, then there is the subsplit of 'pay as you goers', 'subers' and 'free runnners'.

Understand they want to make money, so cant see how by adding voluntary subs for a small return of gameplay gems/bars etc. surely must help with the operating cost of the game and development instead of relying of could maybe unreliable purchases of Zen, which when everyone cottons on is way too expensive a game to play, so it will become an exclusive game to the money pumpers, which at the end of the day are a small minority and will probably end up shutting down servers.

Oh and one more, while I'm here, which is get rid of that stupid 15 minute logout timer, make it 30 minutes at least that gives you a chance to lose the phone call, have a cr*p, make a sandwich, greet the missus etc. without having to log back in all the time. I know I often don't bother returning to the game for the day because I cant be bother to log back in.
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Only reason that the MMOs that still offer "f2p and sub" options work is because they started as sub games - they therefore had a lot more initial content. A game that starts as f2p, complete with the lower starting dev budget and less overall content (since it's free, and will get expansions as time goes by) don't have enough to justify a sub. Let alone a switch to sub-only.... that would be committing suicide.
  • Options
    thejadeemperorthejadeemperor Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    ariellu wrote: »
    See no reason at all why there could not be an 'Optional' sub model for those that prefer their gameplay that way, does not mean everyone has to subscribe so if there are insufficient volunteers then you can close the subs. At least then they would get some additional revenue as I think most of the players that have left have got frustrated with playing against those who just pump piles of cash to buy their gear and prefer a skills based game, if its grinding for cash you want might as well play diablo III.

There is one very good reason not to have any sub based servers - subs generate far less revenue and take a lot more resources to maintain. If the developers have extra cash flow and resources, they will rather spend it on developing new f2p games and get even better profit margins.

All businesses go like this. You don't spend your money on projects that give you diminishing return year after year. When skinny p2p monkeys saw the 800 pound f2p gorillas like Nexon danced happily to richness they started to dance the same way and got fat. Eventually every little monkeys joined in and you got this truly f2p jungle.
  • Options
    armenuaarmenua Member Posts: 108 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I can see why the f2p model is the choice these days. Sub games are limited to the sub price per month x the number of subscribers. This game kind of traps a lot of people and "makes" them spend a lot more than the typical $15 a month. I honestly would like to see a reduction in prices for zen so that it fits into the sub range. But I doubt that will happen with so many people in this game finding no problem with spending quite a bit of money to make their game easier. The pricey things should be kept to cosmetic.
  • Options
    jaelithejaelithe Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 99
    edited June 2013
    Isn't going to happen but I too would celebrate if they added subscriptions as an option - assuming they did it the usual way with a subscription buying certain benefits and a set amount of zen or AD per month.
  • Options
    tarmalentarmalen Member Posts: 1,020 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Will never happen.

Why would they change to charging 15 a month when they have folks that drop HUNDREDS of dollars???