Install Arc
Options

I thought Neverwinter would be like Neverwinter Nights

2»

Comments

• Options
    overdriver13overdriver13 Member Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I STILL play a heavily modified and scripted nwn1 pw. But not nearly as much as I used to. It is simply very very old. NW is a different animal than nwn. As a MMO, I find NW superior to similar titles like swtor. Can't rate it as a real morpg because that is not what it is. Would I LOVE the kind of mod-ability in NW as I did in nwn1? Yes! It would be the difference between playing the game a few months and playing it several years.

There is yet a company to really combine full player created content with virtual currency. I think NW comes closest but unless we see at least near the kind of mod-ability that NWN1 had, it misses the mark. None the less, in my book, Neverwinter is top of the class where standard MMOs are concerned.
  • Options
    glathigglathig Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Please never EVER compare this MMO to Neverwinter Nights.There is no comparison to that awesome gateway to years of fun.The toolset itself was a joy and gave me many a year of diversions.I lived on the Call to Arms server made by Oner the Wise,and also contributed to the Neverwinter Nights community by producing prefab areas.

This is an arcade game designed to make you spend money,albeit a fun diversion indeed.But it will NEVER gain the lofty heights NWN 1 achieved through the years.

Soz cryptic.
  • Options
    chai23chai23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Our server was PD Myth Drannor - lasted almost 7 years.
  • Options
    nighthalasnighthalas Member Posts: 55
    edited June 2013
    dmolisher1 wrote: »
    ah the good old days ...
    Well my gaming expirience started in a game: Eye off the beholder.

Epic typo! :D Eye of the Beholder 2 was the first really interesting computer role-playing game for me too.
    dmolisher1 wrote: »
    ah the good old days ...
    Well hardly any gamedevs left that makes some worthwhile games anymore / or i am just getting old :mad:
    Meaning a game so great it lures me to stay for 3 to 5 years, maybe even lure some old clan DA peops out off hiding.

Sometimes it does feel like Neverwinter is "no country for old men". Thank god there is NWN 1 and NWN 2. :) They have lured me to stay for ten years and 3 months so far. :confused:
  • Options
    kamaliiciouskamaliicious Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    boracks wrote: »
    Spent a decade playing NWN. Never really took to NWN2, saw too many worlds die there.

With the Bioware server issues, and Gamespy issues, it is extremely difficult to find a world now, and hard to find like minded companions.

Neverwinter has potential for role-play, but would need some work.
    Skywing's Client extender means gamespy is no longer needed, and you can browse servers ingame as before.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Stop making me want to reinstall NWN1 gud****** !!

:D
  • Options
    kalizaarkalizaar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Would I LOVE the kind of mod-ability in NW as I did in nwn1? Yes! It would be the difference between playing the game a few months and playing it several years.

There is yet a company to really combine full player created content with virtual currency. I think NW comes closest but unless we see at least near the kind of mod-ability that NWN1 had, it misses the mark. None the less, in my book, Neverwinter is top of the class where standard MMOs are concerned.

This right here. If PW were to invest a lot more effort into the Foundry to really allow players to create some incredible content (not to downplay some of the great content already made of course) and still be able profit that would be awesome and is really what I was hoping for when they first started talking about the Foundry.

As things are now I think this game is a lot of fun. But there are a LOT of games out there that grab my attention just as much. Beef up the foundry, come up with a way for foundry quests to allow more than just a single group, and watch the $$$ roll in I bet.
  • Options
    johnfelljohnfell Banned Users Posts: 408 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Talking about other games in a good light is a very good way to have the Mods exercise their "right" to lock and hide your post, thread, or simple delete the whole thing.

Having said that... I concur. ;)
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    glathig wrote: »
    Stop making me want to reinstall NWN1 gud****** !!

:D

Why on earth would you ever uninstall it? Sacrelige! :P
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    NWN burned out my HDD after a couple of years,lost the prefabs that I was working on and most of my .mod files ( I never used to back-up back then QQ).
    Luckly a few of the polished areas still survive on the neverwinter vault.And I must have also bought about 5 copies of the underdark after playing the bejebus out of the poor thing.

>:D
  • Options
    baddolphinbaddolphin Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    This is funny. I remember feeling a very similar way, only my outrage was aimed at Neverwinter Nights for its failure to live up to Baldur’s Gate II: Shadows of Amn. Before I get flamed on this...I did end up learning to appreciate NWN and I now own the entire series.

You obviously have the right to play whatever game you want. But I have personally found that you just have to approach each title on its own merits. If you try to compare this game to the original NWN, you are probably going to be disappointed. And you should not try to force yourself to like this one.

Whenever I have that feeling, I just totally disconnect from newly released games. I recently went back and played through each of the Infinity Engine games. I ran only 2nd edition Dungeons and Dragons games for my pen-paper. It is really cheap to do this. Oddly enough, my nostalgia evaporated. I still enjoy those games, but it made me totally ready to try something new. It has actually been good for me. If I never switched, I would still be playing the Pools of Radiance-Pools of Darkness series.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    baddolphin wrote: »
    This is funny. I remember feeling a very similar way, only my outrage was aimed at Neverwinter Nights for its failure to live up to Baldur’s Gate II: Shadows of Amn. Before I get flamed on this...I did end up learning to appreciate NWN and I now own the entire series.

You obviously have the right to play whatever game you want. But I have personally found that you just have to approach each title on its own merits. If you try to compare this game to the original NWN, you are probably going to be disappointed. And you should not try to force yourself to like this one.

Whenever I have that feeling, I just totally disconnect from newly released games. I recently went back and played through each of the Infinity Engine games. I ran only 2nd edition Dungeons and Dragons games for my pen-paper. It is really cheap to do this. Oddly enough, my nostalgia evaporated. I still enjoy those games, but it made me totally ready to try something new. It has actually been good for me. If I never switched, I would still be playing the Pools of Radiance-Pools of Darkness series.

I agree (and as a huge fan of BG, IWD, Planescape, NWN) and I tend to do this very thing you're describing.
    However... when they wave the D&D flag, boast of a true D&D experience, set in Neverwinter, even the name RA Salvatore dropped here and there.... people are going to have certain (and not outlandish imo) expactations.
    This game didn't deliver to alot of people, according to these forums, twitter, FB and ingame chats.
    That might be something worth looking into by the Devs.
  • Options
    krahctkrahct Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I remember, back in those days that I couldn't wait to log back in and see what was happenning in the world. I would spend 30 min to an hour checking world events on the forums to get myself into the storyline currently active and then I would log in.

I played a shadow dancing rogue or some class like that and actually earned my way up to a part of the 'inner circle' of the trusted elders of the main nuetral town and then ...muahhaha...became a spy/traitor working for the darker aligned town. It was epic, in the end the DMs worked with me to kill off my rogue by having him execute an assasination during a public hearing and I got caught by the very militia that I was suppossedly originally aligned with, my rogue was drawn and quartered on mainstreet. I cried, I laughed, I rerolled....God I miss those days!
    "I never make mistakes, I once thought I did but I was wrong"
  • Options
    willsommerswillsommers Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 103
    edited June 2013
    Honestly, I've found that single player games almost always are above and beyond MMOs. The beauty is that NWN was a mainly single player game that had multiplayer elements, and the flexibility to be turned into so much more.

But I'm sure it doesn't sound as sexy in a sales meeting, "Hey guys we have this single player RPG with the option to multiplayer we want to develop......." vs "OMG new MMO tons of cash rolling in, must support now, fools handing over credit cards like crazy!!!!"

Can you imagine a gaming company footing the HUGE bill for an MMO then handing over complete control to the players? Not in this day and age. Investors would scream bloody murder.
  • Options
    iceybluekitsuneiceybluekitsune Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 83
    edited June 2013
    Honestly, I've found that single player games almost always are above and beyond MMOs. The beauty is that NWN was a mainly single player game that had multiplayer elements, and the flexibility to be turned into so much more.

But I'm sure it doesn't sound as sexy in a sales meeting, "Hey guys we have this single player RPG with the option to multiplayer we want to develop......." vs "OMG new MMO tons of cash rolling in, must support now, fools handing over credit cards like crazy!!!!"

Can you imagine a gaming company footing the HUGE bill for an MMO then handing over complete control to the players? Not in this day and age. Investors would scream bloody murder.

thats kinda what i am fearing at this point. so many games have been going from what was once an epic single-player with or without optional multiplayer to a giant all in MMO. and i my opinion, MMOs take a lot more effort and time and money to come anywhere close to a single-player epic experience. WoW has gotten close however they are still lacking in many aspects. neverwinter (this game) is really failing to come close to a good single player experience that i was even coming close to expecting. i was hoping it would be great but there have been so many changes or unchanged aspects that are really killing it. they are doing ok ish with the free to play part (as far as not really having to buy stuff if your willing to take months to achieve the same as someone who does buy stuff) but in focusing on the free to play and gaining money they are destroying the game play and other aspects which if they werent worried about how much they can bleed from the playerbase before many give up and focus on improving builds, fixing bugs, responding to concerns (even if its just "we hear you" posts), etc then this game would rebuild its staying power.

yes i had high expectations for neverwinter based on the use of the IP, the writers name, the DnD logo, and all that stuff but my expectations when i heard "free to play" went down. i never trust any game review places that are given the game in some "press package" form as most of the time its a way of saying "here we are going to give you this special version of the game itself with physical novelties so we can get you to like us and give us a bit more of a good review," and they generally will also advertise the game on the review site so the place reviewing it is also getting advert money. if i do read reviews i go for someone thats on some independent site such as tumbler, youtube, etc. when i did look for a few reviews they were mixed, mostly positive but never high so my expectations lowered and now i have seen what i expected at first was so much more than what has been delivered and i am glad i didnt invest in the game as much as i would if i was seeing better reviews and my beginning experience were much better. i have only played a few free to play games, why? because so many of them dont do it for me. neverwinter had me at the start, it also had my room mate who is now really regretting all the money he put into the game, i wont go into why because thats not really my place to say and not the focus of this thread.

but again, it seems so many games are going toward that play style, free to play with all the problems that come with them. i am worried that i will see another big RPG name which is currently being worked on for an MMO will completely fail because of this. they have not announced (as far as i know) that they will do free to play but even if they do pay to play, will it hit the same level as the single player games they once did? and if it fails miserably in the MMO style then the game generally just disappears and never gets another chance.

i wont say this is the case in all instances or in this instance (as in neverwinter) but it seems there is always some developer/publisher/distributer who sees some game which did really well in the past and takes what was once a great game, uses any labels they can, the best screen shots from development (even if that area or feature gets scrapped), lures in "trusted" review sites, all so they can get one thing. money. even if its short term and kills the games name from ever being used again.

i along with a large number of people want neverwinter to do well, continue on and be successful again. but that requires something more from developers/publishers/etc. it needs passion and people who are willing to cut back on trying to milk every cent they can before it gets so bad that they struggle to keep even the most hard core fans.

but thats my 2 cents.
  • Options
    bracer2bracer2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 566 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013

Thats well said, though new to MMOs they seem to be "pigeonholed" by nature and obviously having very little flexibility.

Final results. MMO=Not good.
  • Options
    hkiewahkiewa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 379 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    raath13 wrote: »
    Of course, people also said that DDO wasn't a true D&D experience when it first launched as well. In fact, so many people thought it wasn't that the game had to either go f2p or close due to the lack of subscriptions.

So I ask all you DDO lovers out there....where were you before the game went f2p?

Playing in closed, then open beta...you? Careful when throwing stones db
  • Options
    chai23chai23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    raath13 wrote: »
    Of course, people also said that DDO wasn't a true D&D experience when it first launched as well. In fact, so many people thought it wasn't that the game had to either go f2p or close due to the lack of subscriptions.

So I ask all you DDO lovers out there....where were you before the game went f2p?

Experiencing the game in its best era to date, 2006-2009.
  • Options
    amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 130 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'm guessing we're not talking about Stormfront Studios' Neverwinter Nights MMO, released back in 1991 on AOL?
  • Options
    kyaa17kyaa17 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Hi! Did you create a wonderful world with a clan known as "Fire and Ice"? A girl named Kyaa (me) started it and (if it's you) you made a tower for us with ghosts in it as guardians upon my request. I had a sprite in my room named "Sharina". A invading goblin force attacked that world?
    If it is you, my house caught fire and my computer and everything on it was destroyed. I recently got NWN again via online and have been playing, missing your world so, so, so much. I tried to get back online to see if your world was still there, but it won't even let me, so maybe they're all gone, sadly.
    If you aren't the DM I thought, I am very sorry to have bothered you. I have been searching for this ingenious DM for the longest time, and the things you said make me think it is him. Please let me know. Maybe somehow we can play again someday.

Yours, with hope,
    Kyaa.
  • Options
    ryugasiriusryugasirius Member Posts: 996 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    NWN was a fun game, but not a MMO. Thus pretty much any comparison to NW ends here.

I don't really remember having that much fun in NWN multiplayer, yes, there were servers, you could get in, do some stuff, but they were mostly a tool for DMs: when there were no DMs online creating events, the gameplay was mostly dull and uninteresting (the interface was also not easy to use: not a major problem in single player, but when you can't pause the game it was a nightmare).

You can't really have that experience "for few" (i remember there was like 32 or 64 players limit on NWN servers) replicated on a ten-thousand players scale (or whatever is the current NW playerbase).
  • Options
    frariifrarii Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    That's the problem, you can replicate the experience of roleplaying at small scale over massive population, it simply doesnt work and the ressources needed to do so would be unbearable to any studio to make, if to that, you add 4e is what it is (an effort, mostly failed, to change the target of the old PnP players to a much bigger young videogame players) and you have NW.

I love this game, even if im not playing almost at all those last weeks, but i understand the feeling, i feel similar, but i understand the developers too, or probably i should say the suits that give orders to developers and pay their bills, you give freedom to foundry editors??? et voila! people dont need to spend cash anymore!!! because you know?? roleplaying is FREE!!! so they will NEVER give that kind of freedom until the game is dead, then, they will open the foundry 100% keep a small server infrastructure and keep receiving some cash here and there, but with all the resources in another new game, because is the smart bussiness move and that's what games are, a bussiness.
  • Options
    nwn2motb9nwn2motb9 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    frarii wrote: »
    That's the problem, you can replicate the experience of roleplaying at small scale over massive population, it simply doesnt work and the ressources needed to do so would be unbearable to any studio to make, if to that, you add 4e is what it is (an effort, mostly failed, to change the target of the old PnP players to a much bigger young videogame players) and you have NW.

I love this game, even if im not playing almost at all those last weeks, but i understand the feeling, i feel similar, but i understand the developers too, or probably i should say the suits that give orders to developers and pay their bills, you give freedom to foundry editors??? et voila! people dont need to spend cash anymore!!! because you know?? roleplaying is FREE!!! so they will NEVER give that kind of freedom until the game is dead, then, they will open the foundry 100% keep a small server infrastructure and keep receiving some cash here and there, but with all the resources in another new game, because is the smart bussiness move and that's what games are, a bussiness.

I have played the gold box TSR series pc DnD games way back in the early 90's and took a break until NWN2 came out in 2006 I think. NW is a great game as a 1st time MMO player such as myself cos no reference to WOW or other clones etc. to base my opinion on but I played NWN2 for like 5 years with all the "sequels" and Persistent worlds etc.I like the RPG aspect of NWN2 but the combat of NW shines above all other RPG's I have played because of it seamless flow and no tab target and turn based combat system which I was used to. NW is like a breath of fresh air to DnD for combat at least not so much RPG but then as previous posts have said PWE and CRYPTIC and businesses trying to make money and therefore must cater to the masses to the detriment of "old school" gamers like us.
  • Options
    melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    back to the dead with you, necro!

back to the dead...
This discussion has been closed.