test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Keyboard/Mouseclicks not working after patch

calicotigercalicotiger Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 7 Arc User
edited August 2013 in Bug Reports (PC)
Pre-patch, my keyboard and mouse clicks worked just fine. But now that this recent patch went in, I'm having issues. No, I have never changed any of the bindings on any of them. No, they are not wireless.

To be clear, at the login screen and character selection screen, everything works beautifully. Once I'm in the game with a character, however, the game will not recognize my keyboard commands at all. Mouse clicks do not work *unless* it's the first character logged in for that session and the welcome screen (that shows the calender and other stuff) is still up. At that point, my mouse can still click and interact with everything. And I can use the little menu bar at the top of the screen to open up my character sheet, inventory and trade skill screen. Keyboard still doesn't work there. "c" doesn't open the character menu, etc... No keys at all work.

As soon as any of those menus are closed, however, the mouse clicks no longer work (no left or right clicks to attack, for example). The mouse itself still works as I can make the camera move. But no key clicks work. I can not open up the menu to log out either at that point, I have to ctrl+alt+del and open the task manager to close the game down from there.

So please do not give me the regular IT spiel :) Yes, everything is plugged in (or I couldn't be typing this, hehe). Again, it recognizes my mouse clicks and keyboard absolutely fine at the log in screen and at character selection screen. It's in-game with a character that the keyboard no longer works. And the mouse clicks do not work if menus aren't up.
Post edited by calicotiger on

Comments

• Options
    aeonbluessaeonbluess Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Having the same issue. When in character selection, I choose options and can not restore default keybind, nor manual add keybind options. This error is as if the keybind fails to load or has been delete from the game folder.
  • Options
    redneckroninredneckronin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Having similar issues "left click" is not selecting objects in 3d Edit mode in Foundry, but works in 2d mode.

Looks like an issue with x,y,z spatial awareness of cursor to me.

All The Best
    Campaign: Call Of The Wild - Information, Links To Review Threads, Screenshots

Looking For Reviews For Your Foundry Quest?
    Drop By Scribe's Enclave & Meet Up With Volunteer Reviewers.
  • Options
    deathsmistress7deathsmistress7 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Same problem...mouse works so oooh I can look around wherever my character is standing. Keyboard is a no-go. Fix this please!!
  • Options
    tsailiyintsailiyin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    same here my char justt standing cannot move or use keyboards.. We are going to loose our coins because we cannot fray for the gods anymore..
  • Options
    savraisavrai Member Posts: 110 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Same thing. I happened to be right next to a mailbox, so I 'interacted/used' it and was able to press the inventory bag in the lower right and set an altar then click the invocation button in the top right. This is was the same across all my characters on that account.

I looked at my keybinds and it was set up for some joystick thing. And there was a targeting option that I didn't recognize saying something about Target on second click or target on button release. I reset my keybinds to how I want them but the At Wills didn't work right. I would left mouse click for Duelists Flurry and it would do nothing. I rage clicked a couple times and it would start the Flurry and NOT STOP! I had to dodge roll to stop attacking.

So I went back and tried to restore the default keybinds and it went back to Joystick buttons and numpad enter for dialog. So I changed it again to how I wanted the keybinds and same thing.

I tried the keyboard language change that was tied to the NPC dialog issue and it didn't work. My keyboard (though not an apple keyboard) is set up as English - US Apple keyboard so I changed it to English - US but it didn't do anything.

Game is now unplayable...

*edit for clarification*
    *Legit Community*

Heather - Ranger
    James - Paladin
    Jet - Warlock
    Royal - Cleric
    Gray - Rogue
    Red - Wizard
    Ios - Barbarian
  • Options
    aeonbluessaeonbluess Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Tried uninstall/install, and no fix for this issue.
  • Options
    dalaighdalaigh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I too am having a similar problem to that described in the original post. I have found a work-around for the problem.

01. Backup the two preference files 'GamePrefs.pref'. Both are located in folders named 'localdata' but are down different paths.
    02. Delete the two original preference files 'GamePrefs.pref'. (You did make backups right?)
    03. Log into the game.
    04. Select a character.
    05. Enter the world.
    06. While the 'Home Page' is open, move your cursor to the 'Game Menu' (gear icon) and select it.
    07. Select 'Options'.
    08. On the 'Game Play' tab select 'Keybinds'.
    09. Review then type over each and every key bind listed, changing any to match your keyboard and play style.
    10. Select 'Apply' to save your changes.
    11. Test your changes.

Note: Yes, you really must type over each and every keybind listed otherwise the key does not appear to work once you leave the Options menu.

The '=' keybind does not work for the Companion page. Not a show stopper but the function does not appear in the keybind menu so there does not appear to be a way to bind the '=' key or refresh the bind so to speak. Selecting the 'Companion' tab from the Character window still works fine.

As another poster commented 'Left Push' and 'Left Click' produce different results. When I select 'Left Click' for my 'At Will Power' (Magic Missiles) the power functions continuously as long as an enemy is in range and targeted. 'Left Press', on the other hand, fires one cycle of Magic Missiles with each press of the left mouse button.

If I may be of any further help, please let me know.
  • Options
    resintokeresintoke Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 33
    edited June 2013
    This is exactly the issue I/we had on the preview shard while testing Gauntlegrym.

Most of us had to manually go in and reset our keybindings, which was a HUGE pain in the ***. Even after fixing the keybinds that were simply missing (or set to a joystick command, wtf?) I found that I had to go set the keybinds that WERE correct, just to make them trigger. For example, the keybind for the map (m) was correct, but I had to go set the keybind to m again to make it trigger.

The only way I was able to even go in and edit the keybinds is when you initially log in to your character and are presented with the "Welcome to Neverwinter" splash screen, you have mouse control. That was my only opportunity to go in and click the gear up at the top right of your menu bar and choose options > keybinds. From there you really do have to go and set every single key bind manually. It took a few tries, but you can fix it.

Also remember there is a big difference between "left click" and "left press"..........You probably want "Left (and right) press"

MAJOR BUG
    Check out my Twitch stream & video highlights!!
    <Four Twenty> is recruiting! Apply by registering on our website!
    Check out my cleric guides, notes, and discussions!!

5563438nSKoR.png
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I also did the uninstall/reinstall with no success. I've tried multiple keyboards and none function inside the game. My laptop works just fine...too bad it's so old that it's unplayable anyway. I also disabled my keyboard in device manager and re-enabled it. Still broken.

I also got into my keybinds and saw the joystick type binds. I fixed the binds and I can use the keyboard to use an encounter ability that doesn't require a target...but that's it.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    dalaigh wrote: »
    I too am having a similar problem to that described in the original post. I have found a work-around for the problem.
    01. Backup the two preference files 'GamePrefs.pref'. Both are located in folders named 'localdata' but are down different paths.
    02. Delete the two original preference files 'GamePrefs.pref'. (You did make backups right?)
    03. Log into the game.
    04. Select a character.
    05. Enter the world.
    06. While the 'Home Page' is open, move your cursor to the 'Game Menu' (gear icon) and select it.
    07. Select 'Options'.
    09. Review then type over each and every key bind listed, changing any to match your keyboard and play style.
    11. Test your changes.

Note: Yes, you really must type over each and every keybind listed otherwise the key does not appear to work once you leave the Options menu.

The '=' keybind does not work for the Companion page. Not a show stopper but the function does not appear in the keybind menu so there does not appear to be a way to bind the '=' key or refresh the bind so to speak. Selecting the 'Companion' tab from the Character window still works fine.

You are a genius!! And a note to those that might get freaked out when/if you set left alt as your mouse cursor button and it exits you out of the keybinding screen...just hit the left alt key and you can go back up to the menu :-)

thank you sooo much!
  • Options
    calicotigercalicotiger Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    dalaigh wrote: »

03. Log into the game.
    04. Select a character.
    05. Enter the world.
    07. Select 'Options'.
    11. Test your changes.

As another poster commented 'Left Push' and 'Left Click' produce different results. When I select 'Left Click' for my 'At Will Power' (Magic Missiles) the power functions continuously as long as an enemy is in range and targeted. 'Left Press', on the other hand, fires one cycle of Magic Missiles with each press of the left mouse button.

Thank you so much! That was exactly what was wrong and is exactly what fixed it :D Why in the world did they remap our keyboards to joystick controllers? Again, thank you! I'm going to backup the fixed gamepref files in case it happens again with any future patches. Try to save myself some time :)
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Thank you so much! That was exactly what was wrong and is exactly what fixed it :D Why in the world did they remap our keyboards to joystick controllers? Again, thank you! I'm going to backup the fixed gamepref files in case it happens again with any future patches. Try to save myself some time :)

Oh wait... it worked for everything except fighting. My character still does nothing but stand there, and then suddenly she endlessly starts repeating the attack I tried over and over. Escape won't bring up the menu to cancel out. I still have to ctrl+alt+del to get out and shut the game down to try again. But as long as I don't try to fight, I can function. Of course, that means I can't play
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Oh wait... it worked for everything except fighting. My character still does nothing but stand there, and then suddenly she endlessly starts repeating the attack I tried over and over. Escape won't bring up the menu to cancel out. I still have to ctrl+alt+del to get out and shut the game down to try again. But as long as I don't try to fight, I can function. Of course, that means I can't play

Switch your at wills to right/left press.
  • Options
    markfalconemarkfalcone Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 4
    edited June 2013
    Didn't work for me at all. Still can't move or anything. Won't accept any keystrokes. I have to crash out just to get out of the game because not even ESC works.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    aeonbluess wrote: »
    Switch your at wills to right/left press.

Thank worked. Thank you!

*edited to add*

Note, you'll have to do this with every single character (remap the keyboard). So if you have multiple characters on an account, this is extra annoying.
  • Options
    dalaighdalaigh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    ALT + Tab should allow you to get to another program that is also running on Windows. Once there one should be able to cancel Neverwinter without invoking the Task Manager. The 'Windows' key ('Command' on a Mac keyboard) should open up the Windows start menu.

For those that updated their configs and are still having problems with an unresponsive keyboard, did you delete both GamePrefs.pref files before starting Neverwinter? When I was experimenting looking for a work-around I deleted the first one but not the second and had similar results to what you are describing in your posts.
  • Options
    swaggardswaggard Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Ditto. Same problem.
  • Options
    koonuxxkoonuxx Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Does anyone know if they are actually going ot fix this in a timely manner, and why is no one else i play with affected by this but me ?!

I deleted both the prefences and went to my key biings, reset them to defualt then mapped them ...NOTHING! THis game is unplayable!!!!

Its literally taking them this long to fix ?!?! BULL ****....
  • Options
    doctorcomicsdoctorcomics Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I also have this problem. I have a lot of characters. I'm not going to re map every single key for all of them.

When Cryptic wants me to play again, they'll fix this bug.
  • Options
    twigdoctwigdoc Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Same problem here, I really hope they simply fix this. I really don't like to dink around with files and all...
  • Options
    liramira10liramira10 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Me too. Going to sleep and hoping they fix this by tomorrow.
  • Options
    resintokeresintoke Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 33
    edited June 2013
    twigdoc wrote: »
    Same problem here, I really hope they simply fix this. I really don't like to dink around with files and all...

Go to page 1 and read my post. I had the same issue and solved it without messing with my files. Kinda wanna know if it works for anyone else.
    Check out my Twitch stream & video highlights!!
    <Four Twenty> is recruiting! Apply by registering on our website!
    Check out my cleric guides, notes, and discussions!!

5563438nSKoR.png
  • Options
    twigdoctwigdoc Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I did try that and the keybinds menu thingy was pretty unresponsive and didn't even show the input I gave it; I put in a few on faith and tried to see if maybe the display was just wonky...no dice...

Sadness ensues...
  • Options
    koonuxxkoonuxx Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I am just so upset at these people..literally ruining everyones night..
  • Options
    kismetwkkismetwk Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Hi there, I am experiencing the same issue of my keyboard not working once logged into the game itself. My mouse works just fine.

I'm using an iMac with a wireless keyboard, Bootcamp, and Windows 7.

Best of luck on the bug fix! :)
  • Options
    sominatorsominator Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Thanks everyone! We're looking into this!
    Proud member of Team Fencebane, official guild of the unofficial Neverwinter Adventure Hour!
  • Options
    kevinmathenykevinmatheny Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Any updates, Sominator? This is a terrible bug - it makes the game unplayable without doing a bunch of work. I see a couple of others in this thread noting that they're on iMacs with Bootcamped Win7, which is my case as well.

Could it be the drivers for the Apple keyboard? Mine is wired rather than wireless.
  • Options
    faolin25faolin25 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    sominator wrote: »
    Thanks everyone! We're looking into this!

I'm using a USB mouse and keyboard. I've had this problem for days. Yesterday it worked, the day before I couldn't move at all. Mouse works fine, but I can't use any keyboard shortcuts. Nothing has changed on my end in those two days. Today I logged in, and I CANNOT MOVE AGAIN. How the hell is this game out of beta with game-breaking bugs like this?
    I stopped playing NW due to the fact that the game is considered "Live" - yet I can't even move when I login.
  • Options
    azlornazlorn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Yay. I have the same problem now too. I was about to spend $60.00 on zen but now the game is unplayable and I am UNWILLING to mess around with files. (not my job and I sure as hell am not getting paid for it)

So I guess this game fails and so does your company. Good riddance.

I also submitted a tag about this earlier in the day. Many hours later no reply, not even any kind of acknowledgment that this is a known issue. Great customer service.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited August 2013
    Please don't necro threads. Make a new topic if you cannot find one. Threads are considered dead when they have had no replies for over 30 days. Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.