test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Wizards and Clerics

themightycthulhuthemightycthulhu Member Posts: 38 Arc User
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Why is it when you create a new character you get a cinematic that shows a wizard using a knife not a stupid ball and a cleric turning undead?

They do not do these things in game so why show them?
Post edited by themightycthulhu on

Comments

• Options
    themuteassassinthemuteassassin Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I've always thought that was a warlock with a pact knife, not a wizard. As for the cleric not turning undead in game...I got nothing
  • Options
    skyewolf1skyewolf1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 149 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Does she turn them? I always got the impression she was using sunburst or something to burn them.....
  • Options
    kindyrekindyre Member Posts: 101
    edited June 2013
    skyewolf1 wrote: »
    Does she turn them? I always got the impression she was using sunburst or something to burn them.....

Sunburst was the thought I had as well, when I started my second character (my first being a Cleric).

When I was starting my first, I assumed it was some form of turning undead as well... but I didn't know anything about the game yet at that point.
  • Options
    nallifnallif Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Because this is Dungeons & Dragons... except it's not.
  • Options
    wholyhandgrenadewholyhandgrenade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    **** right, I want to be able to turn dead as a cleric and think this game should give any cleric player a full refund on any money spent on this game if requested due to cleric false advertisement
  • Options
    bolcien1bolcien1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    nallif wrote: »
    Because this is Dungeons & Dragons... except it's not.

Thats cause this game is based on 4th edition, which is NOT Dungeons & Dragons in my book.
    3.0/3.5/Pathfinder for the win!
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    4th Edition has wizards using knives and clerics turning undead and Rogues using xbows so this isn't even a half decent copy of the rules, its a bastardized version and if Wizards of the Coast had any brains they would stop Cryptic from saying this is D&D.
  • Options
    werealchemistwerealchemist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    4th Edition has wizards using knives and clerics turning undead and Rogues using xbows so this isn't even a half decent copy of the rules, its a bastardized version and if Wizards of the Coast had any brains they would stop Cryptic from saying this is D&D.

+10 for this i can't believe WOTC is letting Cryptic put their product name on this.
    21.jpg
  • Options
    leillannaleillanna Member Posts: 171 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    WOTC needs to yank the license for this piece of garbage game. It is an insult to the Neverwinter brand and a shallow, pale comparison to ANY D&D game ever put out. I had looked forward to this game for so long only to be utterly dissapointed in almost every aspect. You get one chance to launch a game correctly and Cryptic failed on almost all lvls.
    Signed,
    Another cleric leaving this game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Eilistraee zhal zuch tlu wun ussta xukuth.
  • Options
    tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Why is it when you create a new character you get a cinematic that shows a wizard using a knife not a stupid ball and a cleric turning undead?

They do not do these things in game so why show them?
    The Tiefling with a dagger in the cinematic is a scourge warlock. You meet him in game and I believe his class is on the list for release after ranger.
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • Options
    chintaechintae Member Posts: 110 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    What I want to know (and what bothers me) is the limitations that many MMO games (not just PWE, but this is the most recent game I've played so it's fresher in my mind) have been putting on what weapons certain classes can use. I know that D&D had a host of rules, but from I recall, as a cleric, I could use a club, a mace, a shield a flail, a staff, a wand....ANYTHING NON-LETHAL as per the 'do no harm' rule.

Warriors could use just about ANYTHING aside from specialty weapons, but the point is that weapons and armor in GAMES are becoming so restrictive I keep wondering WHY? I know the point of this post is that this game is not D&D but its more glaringly so when you take into account the ways that this game and other 'D&D style' games out there prohibit what weapons classes can use. Restricting it to ONE weapon only is like forcing people to fight one handed.

I'm disturbed by this recent trend, and while I found my initial play through the game enjoyable, I couldn't bear the thought of doing it a second time, on a class I only played because the first one I played was massively nerfed (cleric) and all the rules that usually apply to a cleric, have been, well, neutered.
  • Options
    kalizaarkalizaar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    chintae, I'm guessing there are multiple reasons including easier to balance, easier to create art assets, and easier to create loot tables. It annoys me a bit too though.
  • Options
    chintaechintae Member Posts: 110 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    kalizaar wrote: »
    chintae, I'm guessing there are multiple reasons including easier to balance, easier to create art assets, and easier to create loot tables. It annoys me a bit too though.

Sorry, that to me says lazy design, lazy coding, lazy everything, except how to hard ball you into forking over cash.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Well this game will have no more money off me, I will wait for a better game to spend my money on.
  • Options
    runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    chintae wrote: »
    Sorry, that to me says lazy design, lazy coding, lazy everything, except how to hard ball you into forking over cash.

I see it more as being smart rather than lazy. DnD has a ton of classes. If they plan to add even a third of them they have to look ahead. As for the armor if they don't keep things separate they will have a heck of a time later on. On weapons: most people want different weapon types for the looks more than anything. They can always add weapon skins later.
    Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR
  • Options
    johnfelljohnfell Banned Users Posts: 408 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    leillanna wrote: »
    WOTC needs to yank the license for this piece of garbage game. It is an insult to the Neverwinter brand and a shallow, pale comparison to ANY D&D game ever put out. I had looked forward to this game for so long only to be utterly dissapointed in almost every aspect. You get one chance to launch a game correctly and Cryptic failed on almost all lvls.
    Signed,
    Another cleric leaving this game.

Too bad, Im honestly gonna miss your posts, even if I didnt know you ingame. Was hoping more people would stay abit longer, but Im not the guy to fault those that leave.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    D&D online can have lots of classes so why not Cryptic? I know why, Cryptic never delivers on its promises, never have and never will until the playing public tell them enough is enough.
  • Options
    terryclothterrycloth Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    They have a couple alternate weapons (mostly axes) but cosmetics are so expensive to maintain that nobody bothers I guess. It'd be nice if transmuting weapons to look like other weapons was cheaper, and if there were more alternate looks. There's supposed to be some in the new feywild stuff but I bet most of it is different looking daggers and swords.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Why can't we craft weapons? in every other game I have played I could craft weapons.
  • Options
    thebrimanthebriman Member Posts: 218 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Why can't we craft weapons? in every other game I have played I could craft weapons.

Weaponsmithing is coming with the first module later this summer: http://nw.perfectworld.com/furyofthefeywild
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    when this summer? we are already one month into summer.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    when this summer? we are already one month into summer.

Id like to know this too, please, and added to that; more information just in general on Developer plans and something abit closer to actual dates. Right now it doesn't seem like the communication between customer and developer is ... existant. :/ Think more communication would help ease alot of frustration and fuel hope on this forum.
  • Options
    khatzhaskhatzhas Member Posts: 268 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I'm guessing "When its ready."

The issue is that its the toxic minority of the MMO playerbase that mean developers have to limit the information they give out. Its likely that the developers have a date that they are aiming for, but will move it to tale into account delays and suchlike. However you just know that if they mentioned this date, there would be people here who would start screaming of it had to be changed.
    Better to keep things vague. It cannot be claimed that you "promised" anything if you don't talk about anything.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    khatzhas wrote: »
    I'm guessing "When its ready."

The issue is that its the toxic minority of the MMO playerbase that mean developers have to limit the information they give out. Its likely that the developers have a date that they are aiming for, but will move it to tale into account delays and suchlike. However you just know that if they mentioned this date, there would be people here who would start screaming of it had to be changed.
    Better to keep things vague. It cannot be claimed that you "promised" anything if you don't talk about anything.

True, to a point; people will also leave (and have already) if the information is too ambigeous or vague, or get tired of getting teased over and over, with so little delivered and never in ways or times they expected.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    johnfell wrote: »
    True, to a point; people will also leave (and have already) if the information is too ambigeous or vague, or get tired of getting teased over and over, with so little delivered and never in ways or times they expected.

I just can't see that as a problem here. They announced an expansion the day of launch. With a vague time frame, yes. But its not far off at all. And pretty specific details on the website for it. In addition to a developer blog on the main site with reasons why they are doing it.

As for being teased to long: If someone can't wait a couple months after launch for an expansion... then they have bigger problems to worry about imo.
  • Options
    cyresofbsgocyresofbsgo Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    what I would like to know is... if Trickster Rogues can only use daggers, how did the rogue in the movie pick up and use a great weapon, that... BTW a Mob dropped.... a Mob that was still alive..... well a mob that was still undead.

but then, before 4th Ed a rogue COULD use more than just daggers, I actually think they could use a 2 handed sword, but that it was just not a good idea to have that much weight on you when trying to move silently.
    _______

long story short 4th ED rules **** for anything other than LARP.

edit: put *s in place of all caps curse word, because auto * didn't.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    what I would like to know is... if Trickster Rogues can only use daggers, how did the rogue in the movie pick up and use a great weapon, that... BTW a Mob dropped.... a Mob that was still alive..... well a mob that was still undead.

but then, before 4th Ed a rogue COULD use more than just daggers, I actually think they could use a 2 handed sword, but that it was just not a good idea to have that much weight on you when trying to move silently.
    _______

long story short 4th ED rules **** for anything other than LARP.

edit: put *s in place of all caps curse word, because auto * didn't.

Not that familiar with 4th ed rules. But I'm pretty sure TR can use more than daggers. Even in the game there are a few axes they can use. And I've heard rumors that the xpac will have short swords for them.

As for the rogue in the cinematic using something else... its probably just fore show. And she just hates that undead thing that much. You get the feeling she'd tear the thing up with her bare hands if she had to. They really should have linked her other cinematic with that one.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    In 4th edition rules TR's use crossbows so why does Cryptic not allow this or clerics to turn undead or wizards to use wands and daggers? All of which can be used in the 4th edition.
  • Options
    morsitansmorsitans Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,284 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Well, if they were being honest in the intro movie, the cleric should've scooted in, sunburst, stuck down a magic blue circle and then run away (followed by every zombie ever), while the rogue vanished to go solo the boss.

There IS such a thing as artistic license, however.
  • Options
    sogronnwosogronnwo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 96
    edited June 2013
    morsitans wrote: »
    -snip-

I'm squealing man!