test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

I thought Neverwinter would be like Neverwinter Nights

krahctkrahct Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited April 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
Oh so many years ago I played a game, it was a click to move game and was beautiful. It was called Neverwinter Nights.

I remember I even 'nerded' out, I became a DM, I had followers, I built events, I placed items in the world, I controlled NPCs, I set rewards..sometimes epic sometimes menial. I labored for hundreds and hundreds of hours creating compelling stories and engaging world events, I worked with other DMs to host epic scale invasions and heavy plot stories to progress the persistant world. It rocked! It was beautiful. It was D&D based it was roleplay.

I even roleplayed! I remember events that I participated in as a player that other DMs executed still to this day. Those were memories, I founded real life friendships for the first time cause of a game I played online.

I want that experience again. Online games don't seem to offer that anymore, is that a dying era? It seems anymore that games are taking the creativity away from the players and locking the player into a design team's idea.

Anyway, if you're like me and long for the days of Neverwinter Nights chime in, I'd love to hear from you.

BTW - I played a persistant world called "The Frontier" it ran for several years.
"I never make mistakes, I once thought I did but I was wrong"
Post edited by krahct on

Comments

• Options
    vold316vold316 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    krahct wrote: »
    Oh so many years ago I played a game, it was a click to move game and was beautiful. It was called Neverwinter Nights.

I remember I even 'nerded' out, I became a DM, I had followers, I built events, I placed items in the world, I controlled NPCs, I set rewards..sometimes epic sometimes menial. I labored for hundreds and hundreds of hours creating compelling stories and engaging world events, I worked with other DMs to host epic scale invasions and heavy plot stories to progress the persistant world. It rocked! It was beautiful. It was D&D based it was roleplay.

I even roleplayed! I remember events that I participated in as a player that other DMs executed still to this day. Those were memories, I founded real life friendships for the first time cause of a game I played online.

I want that experience again. Online games don't seem to offer that anymore, is that a dying era? It seems anymore that games are taking the creativity away from the players and locking the player into a design team's idea.

Anyway, if you're like me and long for the days of Neverwinter Nights chime in, I'd love to hear from you.

BTW - I played a persistant world called "The Frontier" it ran for several years.

The good ol' days. :p

I was never a DM nor created any PW. But I played a lot of NWN1:
    My first Multiplayer experiece was in a social server like 10 years ago; it was fun, there was PvE and casual PvP; that's where I started to really like NWN 1; the campaigns were fun but multiplayer took it to the next level.
    Then I quit NWN and after a few years I started to play in a full PvP server called Badlands, I learnt how to PvP in that server; it was so balanced and fun; even the PvE was extremly challenging... unless that you stacked some traps stealthing from the bosses.
    That server was <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, you could disarm the players and steal their weapon from the ground... rofl; you needed a lot of discipline to resist it. I lost a lot of weapons in that server... then after a year or so I moved to another server... I can't remember the name, but it was also full pvp, but it was meant for faction vs faction PvP, each faction had their own map and fortress, and if you were in a faction you could enter into other factions area and kill their guardian and claim a temporary bonus for exp and gold gain for all your faction... and then again I took a break, and then I joined a server which is still online but nowadays NWN 1 is almost dead... the multiplayer server login is broken, etc... also there are many many more online games out there and NWN 1 is getting old. :(
    So, after that break I joined that server called Heart of Winter, it was imo the best PvP server running the last 2 years of NWN 1, it was also faction vs faction PvP and it had all the most experienced PvP players of NWN 1; I had a blast playing in that server, joined a lot of factions and played for 2 years. Untill that I started playing other games...
    I also played NWN 2, but never got into multiplayer in that game, I prefered NWN 1 more, because I knew all the mechanics of the adaptation of the 3th edition rules of NWN 1; which took me a while to learn. :p
    That's what I can tell you from my experience in NWN 1; and I also hope that some day Bioware create a newer version of NWN 1. ;)

Ah forgot to mention my favourite build: CSer (Ranger/Rogue/Monk), perfect combination to be the most annoying build in PvP. Also, Rogue/BG/CoT, really high AC and AB (untill the buff ran out) and KD like mad! Oh and forgot to mention the Sorc(36)/Pally(3)/Bard(1)... Mage duels were extremly fun... there is NO game out there that had that kind of strategical PvP... oooh the good ol'days!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"The harder the game, the better."
  • Options
    ruinedmirageruinedmirage Member Posts: 440 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    NWN was excellent. The only problem was that is was a somewhat niche title, and not quite under the MMORPG label. Being a niche title means, in PWE's minds, that there's not enough of a cash grab for it (which may or may not be true, if they only knew how much pnp RPers spent on books....)

They decided to go after a separate demographic, and doing it with such a familiar and loved IP proved to be a bad mistake. In my opinion, anyways. I'm not claiming to be any authority.....

The inclusion of persistent worlds into Neverwinter COULD have the potential to turn the game around, if you ask me...
    You need to spend money to make money, PWE/Cryptic.
  • Options
    eviledickeviledick Member Posts: 39
    edited June 2013
    Admin of "Stick a Fork in me West", I cried, thanks for that. The design team is fine, it just all goes to <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> when the marketing team gets involved.
    Bug Powder Dust: Chapter 1, 15 mins of Cleric friendly hack and slash, with a nod to Pratchett and G Naylor:- NW-DKHPBAVBO
  • Options
    krahctkrahct Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    eviledick wrote: »
    Admin of "Stick a Fork in me West", I cried, thanks for that. The design team is fine, it just all goes to <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> when the marketing team gets involved.

Need better marketing peeps, need to manage the customer expectations, need to breath creativity into the game. The Foundry is a GREAT start, I haven't used it yet, but I've done some quests and what a great concept, they really need to build on that. If we can't get NWN back in some form or the other give us more foundry type stuff.

hell, let the creativity of the players build stuff like PVP domination maps and create games for PVP, build out full dungeon runs, etc.
  • Options
    rm4g3dd0vrm4g3dd0v Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    "I thought Neverwinter would be like Neverwinter Nights"

Yeah, and I thought DnD 4e would be like DnD 3e.

Big mistake.

Dozens of light years distance between TSR, WotC and Hasbro.

I'll just wait for WoD online.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    What is WoD online? World of Diablo?
  • Options
    vampiregoatvampiregoat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I thought the same thing when I saw the title but it is NOTHING like AD&D or NWN at all not even slightly. 4E has to be the most assinine version of AD&D anyways and I cried when I heard it was coming as 4e
  • Options
    raath13raath13 Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited June 2013

World of Darkness
  • Options
    rm4g3dd0vrm4g3dd0v Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    GIYF
    <Link removed>
  • Options
    kallethenkallethen Member Posts: 133 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I seem to recall it was said pretty often that this game was not going to be like NWN.

That said, I wish it were...
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    They said from point go that neverwinter was not going to be NWN 3...whether you chose to actually listen to that or not is your problem.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    They said from point go that neverwinter was not going to be NWN 3...whether you chose to actually listen to that or not is your problem.

I'm not implying that this game was supposed to be like NWN, I'm simply saying I miss that type of game or experience and thought maybe it would be like it in how it created the same feeling of emotion towards playing it. If that was poorly delivered I apologize.
  • Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'm not implying that this game was supposed to be like NWN, I'm simply saying I miss that type of game or experience and thought maybe it would be like it in how it created the same feeling of emotion towards playing it. If that was poorly delivered I apologize.

Statements like that confuse me, both NWN 1 and NWN 2 are stilling going strong, how can you lament something that is still alive??
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Statements like that confuse me, both NWN 1 and NWN 2 are stilling going strong, how can you lament something that is still alive??

I played it so long ago I'd imagine whatever version I played is a dying game title at best with antiquated graphics and mechanics

Hell I lament over vanilla WoW and it's still going strong. I lament over the awesome storyline and plot and player engagement in Wotlk expansion yet the game is still going strong. But Pandas...come on.
  • Options
    grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    yup those days were the best online gaming ive had. i played a module called three kingdoms for couple years. was great fun, nice roleplaying, DMing. Think one of the few games ive played where i kept playing not because of flashy virtual items, but player driven story.
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
    and also the featured satirical comedic adventure "A Call for Heroes".
  • Options
    bracer2bracer2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 566 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Hundreds, probably thousands, maybe more, players thought the same exact thing. Just another cry for DnD in a falsely advertised game. I can tell you with certainty, If you want a DnD video game experience your pretty much looking at DDO or going back to NWN2.
  • Options
    raath13raath13 Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    bracer2 wrote: »
    Hundreds, probably thousands, maybe more, players thought the same exact thing. Just another cry for DnD in a falsely advertised game. I can tell you with certainty, If you want a DnD video game experience your pretty much looking at DDO or going back to NWN2.

Of course, people also said that DDO wasn't a true D&D experience when it first launched as well. In fact, so many people thought it wasn't that the game had to either go f2p or close due to the lack of subscriptions.

So I ask all you DDO lovers out there....where were you before the game went f2p?
  • Options
    boracksboracks Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Spent a decade playing NWN. Never really took to NWN2, saw too many worlds die there.

With the Bioware server issues, and Gamespy issues, it is extremely difficult to find a world now, and hard to find like minded companions.

Neverwinter has potential for role-play, but would need some work.
  • Options
    xhritxhrit Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    NWN was fun, but it was far from perfect.

It had a horrid interface; sure you could do a lot with it, after you scrolled through 10 levels of radial menus.
    Pvp was totally imbalanced; at least two classes widely considered OP, and outright banned on most servers.
    Respec was a pain; sure, it was free, but only if you got a DM to personally reset your stats by hand.
    There was no endgame; you could be max your level, and have full gear in 3 days.
    Crafting was tacked on and a waste of time; you could not craft gear to use.
    Poorly designed rating system; made finding quality user created content a chore.

Wait a minute... Cryptic seems to have captured the feel of Neverwinter Nights perfectly.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    raath13 wrote: »
    Of course, people also said that DDO wasn't a true D&D experience when it first launched as well. In fact, so many people thought it wasn't that the game had to either go f2p or close due to the lack of subscriptions.

So I ask all you DDO lovers out there....where were you before the game went f2p?

I only played DDO for a short time, only due to the monthly rate. Though its not even comparable to this game as far as DnD video game experience. I like the game, though prefer NWN2, it just feels better. Regardless, I was never one of those people who said it wasn't a DnD experience. I always thought it was.
  • Options
    moskibearmoskibear Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I still play NWN2 on Baldur's Gate Swordcoast Chronicles server, it is still alive :-). I like Neverwinter better than DDO although DDO was more authentic. Neverwinter Nights 2 brings back good memories (I also played 1 a long time). I can only hope that there will be a Neverwinter Nights 3 in the future.. Part of me hopes they can bring the creativity of the NWN series to a large scale environment, rather than 65 person servers, because Neverwinter sadly doesnt cater to that old crowd :( a man can dream.

That said, as a MMO, Neverwinter is decent, more than decent, but it has its problems, no denying that.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    moskibear wrote: »
    I still play NWN2 on Baldur's Gate Swordcoast Chronicles server, it is still alive :-). I like Neverwinter better than DDO although DDO was more authentic. Neverwinter Nights 2 brings back good memories (I also played 1 a long time). I can only hope that there will be a Neverwinter Nights 3 in the future.. Part of me hopes they can bring the creativity of the NWN series to a large scale environment, rather than 65 person servers, because Neverwinter sadly doesnt cater to that old crowd :( a man can dream.

That said, as a MMO, Neverwinter is decent, more than decent, but it has its problems, no denying that.

That's the same server I play on. Very kool.:)
  • Options
    nighthalasnighthalas Member Posts: 55
    edited June 2013
    moskibear wrote: »

Yep, NWN 2: Baldur's Gate The Sword Coast Chronicles is really amazing. In fact, anyone who values role-playing more than any other aspect in an MMORPG game with more-or-less modern graphics should definitely get NWN 2 with expansions and start playing there right now. :)

Before Neverwinter I had played NWN 1 quite a lot from 2003 to 2009, then played DDO for a year and started playing NWN 2: BGTSCC in summer 2011. In 1999-2001 I made some graphics for an MMORPG called Tibia and because of that old hobby really enjoyed working in NWN 2 toolset a decade later.

Last week I found a really amazing persistent world for NWN 1 called Higher Ground which has some features I have never seen before in NWN 1. You can level up to level 60 with paragon levels and the world has a deep global storyline, so that you can play it through alone or with other players like a single player game. The objective in the game is to find the Crown of Ascension, become "Immortal" and later become a demi-god. I've been playing for a week now and it has been a fun experience. :) A few days ago we had a bizarre group of newbies there (screenshot). As you can see in the screenshot, everyone chose an unusual subrace for their character. My character is the lizardman. :cool:

Neverwinter Nights 3 would be a dream come true. However, with the release of Neverwinter the chances of getting NWN 3 are not that good. I think the best hope of some revival of NWN for us hardcore fans is for more people to find and enjoy NWN 2: BGTSCC and donate money to the developers, so that they could create a server cluster expanding the game world and enabling 200-400 players to be in the world at the same time. If that was to happen, the persistent world could grow and rival some real small MMORPGs.
  • Options
    tickdofftickdoff Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    WoD looks like utter garbage. Have fun with that.
  • Options
    dirtyhookdirtyhook Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Because they made this game based on 4th edition rules, this makes it an arcade game FPS, not a rpg.
  • Options
    pw3ckapw3cka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 125 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Yop memories, actually NWN was my first online RPG I played :)

And there was no game since then that would come even close to what atmosphere it had.

I do not know why , but everybody was just roleplaying and it was really great :)

I do not remember on what server I played, but it was several servers connected and it was possible to travel between them by boats :)
  • Options
    erdokanerdokan Member Posts: 188 Arc User
    edited June 2013

Yep, same here. Spent so many hours on playing the NWN series and it was just an awesome experience. Having said that, I'm actually ok with this game not being more like NWN. Having fun on a daily basis PvPing, and a big part of that fun comes from how fast paced and non clickable this game is. I do hope that NWN 3 will come out in the future though. Fingers crossed!
    David Valtiere, Lvl 70 TR with perfect Lvl 60 gear which I don't want to replace cause nostalgia yo ;_;
  • Options
    dmolisher1dmolisher1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    ah the good old days ...
    When i was playing nwn on hamachi with friends.
    Sacred / sacred 2.
    Or BG / BG2
    or DDO ( still a vip ).

Well my gaming expirience started in a game: Eye off the beholder.

I started playing P&p in 1983, i got the first rulebook mailed by a friend.

Well hardly any gamedevs left that makes some worthwhile games anymore / or i am just getting old :mad:
    Meaning a game so great it lures me to stay for 3 to 5 years, maybe even lure some old clan DA peops out off hiding.

Clan moderator:
    www.clan-da.com.
    Bards are awesome ... music and great tales off adventures.
  • Options
    silvernitesilvernite Member Posts: 107 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I still have and play NWN. Sadly I wouldn't even rate this game (Nevenwinter) anywhere close to being what NWN is. This game pales in comparison.

I wish they would come out with a NWN-3.
  • Options
    dmolisher1dmolisher1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    well next time a game will probably crush my heart ...
    Will be when sacred 3 are releaced.
    Till that ill probably zap between DDO / POE ( Path off ewxile ) and this game.

Theres too little character build options for now.
    There are the pvp / pve modern thingy, that causes alot off character nerfs / making them further from D&D.

But lets see, it might change some over time.
    Bards are awesome ... music and great tales off adventures.
This discussion has been closed.