test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[Bug/Feedback] Alchemy difficulty leveling...

chronomancerchronomancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,223
I noticed it's very difficult to level up alchemy .. is this intended design or a bug ? The only way to level up Alchemy is to do "alchemical experiments" and hope you acquire those "Basic Alchemical Knowledge" (randomly) which is then combined with brimstone in order to do "Alchemical research" (2 hours) for an XP boost.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• beriad1beriad1 Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    How do you acquire a "basic alchemical knowledge"? It's not in professions vender, reward for any tasks listed, auction house.......I want one.....
    fs_49316d8a5de21281b0f4fc8f0089006b.png
  • maelishmaelish Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    That seems to be the question of the hour.
  • thicozthicoz Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    another bug i think -.- no words
  • clannamuirclannamuir Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 217 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    When you hire your first Apothecary, don't forget to complete that task. Then you can do level one tasks (guess who forgot :P. Took me a couple to realize it)
  • psychickittypsychickitty Member Posts: 253 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    That's not all.....they say on an announcement you are supposed to be able to get alchemy resources from getting the packs from the zen store......but I have yet to get any form of alchemy anything from that.

And then of course looking at the items alchemy makes you don't actually make any potions or much of anything except components to do more alchemy crafting of components. There is a message that stated that we would be able to make the boost potions and healing potions but doesn't look that way.

Power without Perception is Spiritually useless and therefore of no true value.

=^_^=

• psychickittypsychickitty Member Posts: 253 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    clannamuir wrote: »
    When you hire your first Apothecary, don't forget to complete that task. Then you can do level one tasks (guess who forgot :P. Took me a couple to realize it)

Those tasks give no alchemy skill.

They only give you a twig a pelt and two differing mushrooms that can only be used to make components for later alchemy skills that you need to be level 2 in alchemy to use.

Power without Perception is Spiritually useless and therefore of no true value.

=^_^=

• clannamuirclannamuir Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 217 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    That's not all.....they say on an announcement you are supposed to be able to get alchemy resources from getting the packs from the zen store......but I have yet to get any form of alchemy anything from that.

And then of course looking at the items alchemy makes you don't actually make any potions or much of anything except components to do more alchemy crafting of components. There is a message that stated that we would be able to make the boost potions and healing potions but doesn't look that way.

Level one stuff you get the same way as the other Prof. some you "gather" the solvent is sold for gold in the market.
  • graalx3graalx3 Member Posts: 232
    edited June 2013
    Basic Alchemical Knowledge is acquired by doing the Rank XX Experimentation task. This is the task that rewards you with recipes for potions and the knowledge required to do further Research and rank up in Alchemy. Not every experiment is a success though so you may have to do multiple Experimentation tasks to succeed.
  • santeersanteer Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Think you may need to patch this. It is not showing up in the Gateway, and you currently do not get experience for the level 1 tasks that do not require a green resource.
  • starlitenlstarlitenl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Yeah, it does all work fine, it's jsut that it is totally unintuitive.
    It doesn't say anywhere how you get those 'alchemical knowledge' scrolls, you just have to find out by sheer luck that you get them via experiments.
    A little more descriptive tooltip would help a lot already :)
  • beriad1beriad1 Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    graalx3 wrote: »
    Basic Alchemical Knowledge is acquired by doing the Rank XX Experimentation task. This is the task that rewards you with recipes for potions and the knowledge required to do further Research and rank up in Alchemy. Not every experiment is a success though so you may have to do multiple Experimentation tasks to succeed.

thank you!
    fs_49316d8a5de21281b0f4fc8f0089006b.png
  • reysariusreysarius Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Yeah guys I just checked it out by doing the experiment, on the first try I got the research and a recipe that changed the unstable chemical into a minor rejuvenation potion. It looks like Alchemy is both simple to do but time consuming.
  • gr8scottygr8scotty Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I have found that it is VERY slow as well and it doesn't show up in the Gateway or Auction House (I guess the AH might be because nothing was available for sale yet). These both need to be fixed soon.
  • qinnuxqinnux Member Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    LOL this is BS.

took me a hour to get the 1 basic scroll to get to LEVEL TWO.

I dont wanna think how much time it will take for level 20 without purple ZEN assets. This alchemy was completely designed with ZEN in mind.

Not to mention the time it takes to make the lvl 1 minor potion - 15 minutes for ONE.
  • ceryndrionceryndrion Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I don't think that alchemy was designed with zen in mind at all, I think that it was designed to make you earn your way through it, you don't just turn lead into gold, you have to experiment, and failure is always an option..

Personally, I like the way that it is. It could be more intuative for sure, but I like the concept.
    I reject your reality and I substitute my own!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My opinions are my own, and do not represent those of Perfect World Entertainment, or Cryptic Studios
    [ Rules of Conduct - Terms - FAQ - Support Centre - Important Stuff ]
  • gr8scottygr8scotty Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    So I am trying to keep a positive attitude about this but it is getting REALLY HARD!! Has anyone found anything worth while - I am only at level 4 trying ot make it to 5 but so far everything I have come up with is a TOTAL waste of time - a single potion that is consumed in 2 seconds and can be bought for 1 silver shouldn't take a 1/2 hour to make. I am going to keep pushing on with my 3 proffessional plus a single on my other toon but it would be nice to know that there was something worth while coming.
  • schmopfschmopf Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Got some patience, no? Then, maybe try to avoid crafting. You got to play this game for days, weeks and months. It's perfectly fine to last a while till you get to max level. You will complain that max level came to soon anyway. So enjoy it in the meantime.

What disturbs me is, that I finished my lab experiments to get those 300 xp for level 5. Done that via Gateway on my mobile. And now my experience bar ist filled, I got 900xp .... but no level 5. Is this a bug?
  • tirin1tirin1 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    schmopf wrote: »
    What disturbs me is, that I finished my lab experiments to get those 300 xp for level 5. Done that via Gateway on my mobile. And now my experience bar ist filled, I got 900xp .... but no level 5. Is this a bug?

The same thing happened to me today going from 9 to 10 on the Gateway. I've reported it in-game. Hopefully this gets resolved quickly. The lesson learned here seems to be don't finish Research tasks on the Gateway for the moment.
    edited June 2013
    tirin1 wrote: »
    The same thing happened to me today going from 9 to 10 on the Gateway. I've reported it in-game. Hopefully this gets resolved quickly. The lesson learned here seems to be don't finish Research tasks on the Gateway for the moment.

Well, I am just about to finish the last potions needed to do the lab experiment again, just lacking some Aqua Vitae. I will try to get those 300xp again, and will see what happens. But yes, only in-game :) As the 900xp are listed, I expect either to level up to 5 or even 6. And will report back of course :)
  • fabaelfabael Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 76
    edited June 2013
    graalx3 wrote: »

I have done over 30 Rank 3 experiments without receiving 1 knowledge scroll over the last two days, I think there is a bug! I can't get past level 3 I collected exp through the gateway as others have reported.
    edited June 2013
    It looks like leveling through Gateway is not possible. Did the same thing with Platesmithing today, after logging into the game it said 2455/2400 xp. I finished a task which awarded xp afterwards and leveled up. So there is some kind of workaround... for everything but Alchemy...
  • jmcamjrjmcamjr Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    That's the level up from the Gateway bug. I've been stuck at level 2 since Day 1 of alchemy because of this.
  • amalzarantaramalzarantar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    tirin1 wrote: »

Exact same thing happened here, going from lvl 9 to 10. Didn't report on game yet. Did you get any answer to your report?
  • prettyboysetaprettyboyseta Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 62
    edited June 2013
    jmcamjr wrote: »
    That's the level up from the Gateway bug. I've been stuck at level 2 since Day 1 of alchemy because of this.

anybody else confirm this? same situation for me. I've been stuck at level 2 for days. I've noticed that there seems to be a new patch, too but I think I haven't completely updated my client yet (plays mostly during the weekend) is that why I can't up my alchemy? any update is appreciated
    Wizard.jpg
  • amalzarantaramalzarantar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    This happend to me today, prettyboyseta... :(
  • prettyboysetaprettyboyseta Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 62
    edited June 2013
    I think I've read somewhere they've fixed the gateway bug, so hopefully the latest patch will finally allow us to get past level 2. I had fun seeing my toon shrink and grow because of the unstable potions but I really hope I can get healing potions instead :P
    Wizard.jpg
  • symphonycsymphonyc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'm stuck at level 12. I did the alchemical research (level 12) quest overnight and when I collected the rewards it filled my exp bar but didn't advance me to level thirteen.
    edited June 2013
    I can confirm, that the Gateway leveling bug is fixed. At least for Platesmithing, where I tested it successfully a few hours ago. Sadly, that doesn't help with Alchemy, since there aren't enough possiblities to gain xp.
  • kulsveinkulsvein Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    symphonyc wrote: »
    I'm stuck at level 12. I did the alchemical research (level 12) quest overnight and when I collected the rewards it filled my exp bar but didn't advance me to level thirteen.

same thing happened to me at 9. Ihave reported it twice but no acknowledgement of the tickets even tho they gave me numbers and they dont show upo as open tickets. I have had to leave alchemy for the time being. Not fixed in this patch either.
    The stupid questions are the ones you do not ask;)
    edited June 2013
    Did you look up at the perfectworld-support website? <click> Maybe there is further information. I opened a ticket too, wrote a bug report, nothing so far...