test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

"Neverwinter is a true Dungeons & Dragons experience" Really?

1235»

Comments

• Options
    xhritxhrit Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    jmadfour wrote: »
    I would love to see a D&D Videogame where you have to sit there for 8 hours to cast a Raise Undead spell.

Or one where you could only use daily powers once every 24 hours...

^^
  • Options
    druidofdisasterdruidofdisaster Member Posts: 60
    edited June 2013
    I like the novelty of a different system than your standard paper and pencil converted to video game fare. It's the lore in this game that matters most to me, most people who are not familiar with the Forgotten Realms campaign setting and novels would not appreciate this game as much. Anything featuring Faerun is a D&D nerd's wet dream. That's something DDO doesn't have to offer. I just hope that Kara-Tur is included in this game at a later time to add that oriental MMO flavor to that D&D nerd's wet dream. That, and giant space hamsters as companions(or miniature giant space hamsters like Boo) as well as Spelljammer related content because that's what lies beyond the atmosphere of Faerun in its outer space and it is lore friendly with the Forgotten Realms setting. Realmspace is one of the coolest things about D&D.
    I'm not saying it was humans, but it was humans.
  • Options
    bracer2bracer2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 566 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I like the novelty of a different system than your standard paper and pencil converted to video game fare. It's the lore in this game that matters most to me, most people who are not familiar with the Forgotten Realms campaign setting and novels would not appreciate this game as much. Anything featuring Faerun is a D&D nerd's wet dream. That's something DDO doesn't have to offer. I just hope that Kara-Tur is included in this game at a later time to add that oriental MMO flavor to that D&D nerd's wet dream. That, and giant space hamsters as companions(or miniature giant space hamsters like Boo) as well as Spelljammer related content because that's what lies beyond the atmosphere of Faerun in it's outer space and it is lore friendly with the Forgotten Realms setting. Realmspace is one of the coolest things about D&D.

Read Homeland to Charons Claw. The setting is the best thing about the game. Making it doubly frustrating. Realms is my favorite setting. Spelljammer...eek.. never could get into that or the oriental stuff.

Realms
    Dark Sun
    Ravenloft
    Dragonlance
    Greyhawk

Would be my favorites. In that order.:)
  • Options
    thestoryteller01thestoryteller01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    xhrit wrote: »
    Neverwinter Nights(1991), as well as the remake(2002), and the sequel(2006), all had pvp.

D&D Miniatures was a tabletop DCI sanctioned tournament pvp game that ran from 2003 until 2011.

D&D itself was based on a tabletop PvP game, called chainmail, which was written in 1974.

PvP has been there since the start, and I seriously question your judgement if you think it has no place in a game with the D&D name.

Since NWN and NWN2 where single player games I cannot see the PvP unless you refer to playing team battles on a player-made shard with a max of 32 players

And following your logic, anyone could bring out a Warhammer Clone PC game and call it "full D&D" just because TSR published the Battle System back from 1985 to 1991.

Btw, chainmail NEVER was called a PvP game, it is a wargame by definition. Games like chess, gobang or backgammon aren't called PvP games either just because 2 players try to win over each other.
    In case you find my grammar or spelling weird ---> native german speaker ;)
  • Options
    senrathmenrusenrathmenru Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Since NWN and NWN2 where single player games I cannot see the PvP unless you refer to playing team battles on a player-made shard with a max of 32 players

And following your logic, anyone could bring out a Warhammer Clone PC game and call it "full D&D" just because TSR published the Battle System back from 1985 to 1991.

Btw, chainmail NEVER was called a PvP game, it is a wargame by definition. Games like chess, gobang or backgammon aren't called PvP games either just because 2 players try to win over each other.

Both NWN and NWN2 had thriving multiplayer servers, some of which had various forms of PvP enabled.
  • Options
    druidofdisasterdruidofdisaster Member Posts: 60
    edited June 2013
    bracer2 wrote: »
    Read Homeland to Charons Claw. The setting is the best thing about the game. Making it doubly frustrating. Realms is my favorite setting. Spelljammer...eek.. never could get into that or the oriental stuff.

Realms
    Dark Sun
    Ravenloft
    Dragonlance
    Greyhawk

The thing about Spelljammer is that it connects Faerun to Krynn, if there was a Dragonlance MMO I'd pre-order it and pay a monthly fee if necessary.
    I'm not saying it was humans, but it was humans.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Both NWN and NWN2 had thriving multiplayer servers, some of which had various forms of PvP enabled.

Still to this day thriving. Im back playing, waiting for DnD to be implemented in this game
  • Options
    zarkheszarkhes Member Posts: 59
    edited June 2013
    Ive already created a topic about this (some good points there) and we just agreed that this got nothing to do with Dungeons and Dragons.It just a bait to lure the players who liked games like BG or IWD...

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?239401-Do-we-actualy-play-D-amp-D/page11
  • Options
    edited June 2013

Player-run servers only that host from as low as 8 to a maximum of 32 players, I played myself on "Bastions of War" quite some time ago.

If all PvP comes from player-run servers with player-created maps, player-created rulesets and player-created equipment that harldy makes the game on which it's based a PvP game by design.

Or do you call all games for which a well-known survial zombie mod exists (like NWN btw) a survivial game by design? :D
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Player-run servers only that hosted from as low as 8 to a maximum of 32 players. I played myself on "Bastions of War", pal and what some hundred well-informed members of the community did there and on a dozen other (again: player-run) servers hardly makes NWN or NWN2 a PvP game by design.

I get the point but wrong. Im currently playing BG and it routinely has 32-70 players on at all times. Imagine a giant world were 1k+ could be on yet have that kind of DnD quality.......:) The tech exists to do this. Just waiting for it to be done.
  • Options
    khatzhaskhatzhas Member Posts: 268 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013

Realms
    Dark Sun
    Ravenloft
    Dragonlance
    Greyhawk

Personally Eberron is my favourite. Its one of the reasons I prefer DDO over NWO. (Even though DDO has moved into FR as well.) Ugh.
  • Options
    senrathmenrusenrathmenru Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Player-run servers only that host from as low as 8 to a maximum of 32 players, I played myself on "Bastions of War" quite some time ago.

If all PvP comes from player-run servers with player-created maps, player-created rulesets and player-created equipment that harldy makes the game on which it's based a PvP game by design.

Or do you call all games for which a well-known survial zombie mod exists (like NWN btw) a survivial game by design? :D

The limit might have started at 32, but there are servers that are equipped to handle several hundred people at once. And given that the option for PvP wasn't something people had to go out of their way to enable? Yes, it's a PvP game by design, since the PvP aspect was in the game by design.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    The limit might have started at 32, but there are servers that are equipped to handle several hundred people at once. And given that the option for PvP wasn't something people had to go out of their way to enable? Yes, it's a PvP game by design, since the PvP aspect was in the game by design.

Then Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout3, Fallout:NW, every single shooter and.....wait....

....ok, now I got it - nearly ALL games are then PvP games by design. Including p.e. chess, backgammon and checkers, after all the're all about winning over another player.

So why the hell are the guys from the chess club getting bullied around - when the're learning to become PvP EXPERTS???
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Then Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout3, Fallout:NW, every single shooter and.....wait....

....ok, now I got it - nearly ALL games are then PvP games by design. Including p.e. chess, backgammon and checkers, after all the're all about winning over another player.

So why the hell are the guys from the chess club getting bullied around - when the're learning to become PvP EXPERTS???

Since when did Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 3, and Fallout: NV have multiplayer components?

And yes, shooters are PvP games. Seriously man, all PvP means is player vs player. ANY game that pits multiple players directly against each other can be classified as "PvP."
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Since when did Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 3, and Fallout: NV have multiplayer components?

And yes, shooters are PvP games. Seriously man, all PvP means is player vs player. ANY game that pits multiple players directly against each other can be classified as "PvP."

Thats the point. As long as the publisher provides no PvP servers, its not a PvP game. As well as a game is not automatically a PvP game by design just because players set up arena servers with their very own rules, classes, equipment etc. Because you can do that with about any game.

Besides, the wikipedia entries for NWN/NWN2 don't mention PvP, only multiplayer DM-run sessions. Because THAT is what theses 2 games where built for - NOT PvP.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Thats the point. As long as the publisher provides no PvP servers, its not a PvP game. As well as a game is not automatically a PvP game by design just because players set up arena servers with their very own rules, classes, equipment etc. Because you can do that with about any game.

Besides, the wikipedia entries for NWN/NWN2 don't mention PvP, only multiplayer DM-run sessions. Because THAT is what theses 2 games where built for - NOT PvP.

Own rules and equipment nothing. For NWN 1 and 2 it is literally a single, built in option to enable PvP with no modifications needed.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Own rules and equipment nothing. For NWN 1 and 2 it is literally a single, built in option to enable PvP with no modifications needed.

Please tell me, you don't mean the PvP enabling through the difficulty setting......
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Please tell me, you don't mean the PvP enabling through the difficulty setting......

Uh, no? When you set up a server, there's an option for PvP that you can set to Full, Partial, or None.
  • Options
    knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Its in no way an RPG.

Any game in which role-playing can take place can be a RPG, and is so long as somebody role-plays while playing it, at least for those doing the role-playing. It is not the game that defines whether it is a RPG, but the actions of the players within the game.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    knightfalz wrote: »
    Any game in which role-playing can take place can be a RPG, and is so long as somebody role-plays while playing it, at least for those doing the role-playing. It is not the game that defines whether it is a RPG, but the actions of the players within the game.

But, without live DMs as in nwn2 there is no motivation for the larger pool to RP. An RPG to me is a game that has at least some in game resources devoted to RP. In most NWN2 servers the most unique items in the game are DM given for exceptional role play. Without this critical aspect by my estimation it is not an RPG. Advancement through role play is the defining factor. Without fighting one single time I should be able to progress through RP alone. That at least to me is what defines an RPG.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    If Neverwinter would reward XP for RP on a regular basis, and offer unique items in DM events that would greatly increase the quality and offer all players an exciting alternate to shoot um up speed runs. That could turn this game. All other stuff aside, rules, classes, options,... If this one thing could be implemented that would make all the difference. The players would then be able to expand the game on there own, and make the game whatever they wanted it to be. Jeez, it would be DnD and make the game twice, nay three times as interesting.
  • Options
    naruonnaruon Member Posts: 37
    edited June 2013
    khatzhas wrote: »
    Personally Eberron is my favourite. Its one of the reasons I prefer DDO over NWO. (Even though DDO has moved into FR as well.) Ugh.

I dont get why people dislike ebberon!? it was a good way to start fresh without all the FR baggage but still be Dungeons & Dragons.
  • Options
    trevien29trevien29 Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    naruon wrote: »
    I dont get why people dislike ebberon!? it was a good way to start fresh without all the FR baggage but still be Dungeons & Dragons.

They might still be jealous their setting didn't win the competition. Personally, I really like Ebberon and Keith Baker.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    naruon wrote: »
    Change is scary.

Plus, not everyone actually looked into it enough to understand it.
  • Options
    ardeceanardecean Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I really don't see much in complaints on my personal end with this. I have played D&D since 1989 and have seen many adjustments to it from paper /pencil to computer. I favor 2.5 however. DDO was ok to an extent, and I feel Cryptic has its work cut out for them on this one. I will continue to play this however due to the fact Its a game and any fans of the Forgotten realms should enjoy this and its progression in the MMO community. there is major premise here and who knows maybe expansion beyond the current limits? Besides Cryptics Foundry makes it more valuable.

I still await the rangers however..
    If you don't mind, It doesn't matter.
    TAW CC
    Shadows From Within Campaign
    Recruitment Forum
    The Art of Warfare
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    But, without live DMs as in nwn2 there is no motivation for the larger pool to RP. An RPG to me is a game that has at least some in game resources devoted to RP. In most NWN2 servers the most unique items in the game are DM given for exceptional role play. Without this critical aspect by my estimation it is not an RPG. Advancement through role play is the defining factor. Without fighting one single time I should be able to progress through RP alone. That at least to me is what defines an RPG.
    There are in-game resources devoted to RP: Cosmetic items, emotes etc.
    The thing about RP is that it is not level-dependent. You get XP and gear from fighting mobs that will allow you to get better at fighting mobs. You don't need to get XP for RP since it doesn't have anything to do with how much XP you have. Advancement through roleplay is unnecessary because advancement does not change Roleplay.

Live DMs with broad reward powers are not an option. There are too many people playing the game to allow Cryptic employees to be DMs, and too much potential for abuse to let just anyone hand out rewards. Even foundry creators can't give anything specific.
  • Options
    talnorantalnoran Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I've only been playing a couple days but I would say there is a 'dnd' feeling to it but I find my character severely limited. I'm lvl 23 and still casting pretty much the same thing. I would have to say that DDO feels far more like dungeons and dragons than neverwinter. (played the original NWN on aol as well) I'll probably max my mage out & play with the toolset for a bit and then I'll be on to ESO. As of now I see no reason to play this long term. Limiting character progression & typical farm your life away end game.