test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Defense, Deflection and Damage reduction (GF)

xilinearxilinear Member Posts: 140 Arc User
edited September 2013 in The Militia Barracks
Having not seen anything on this topic, I did my maths and so far here is what I come up with. This is valid only for a guardian fighter, as of now I didn't try this on any other class, so if someone could verify these number on their char sheet, I would be glad. Also, GFs are welcome also to check these numbers.

At level 60 (need more feedback from lower levels to verify this).

DR(defense,AC) = (AC -10) * 0.5% + 50% * Defense/(1644+Defense)

A spreadsheet showing how this looks like is here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aj1iYKPu1WmAdGN2NW1ydzFYdkdwUzE5SmRiNGZLVkE&usp=sharing

Hence, the damage reduction you get from Defense seem to be capped at 50%, overall damage reduction however also uses your AC, so it could in theory be above that (need better gear to be able to verify that),

For deflection, it is not yet clear to me if the deflected damage (already reduced by 50%) still goes through the damage reduction of AC and Defense. My guess is yes for two reasons:

1) If not, then you could in theory (provided the availability of gear of course) have a damage reduction of strictly more than 50% while if deflected it being reduced to 50%...which would make no sense, since having deflection would increase in this case the damage you take :-).

2) The combat log. I went into a zone, agroed one mob and logged the physical damage it did. while the combat log doesn't state at all if that damage was deflected or not, the floating combat text clearly shows crits (the lightning arrow), normal hits and deflections. In this case the combat log show the actual magnitude of the hit and the damage you take. Here is a quick snippet (please don't laugh, I wasn't going to risk this on an epic boss, just some random mob).

[Combat (Self)] Scavenger deals 487 (1036) Physical to you with Claw. normal hit = 53% DR
[Combat (Self)] Scavenger deals 94 (200) Physical to you with Melee Attack. normal hit = 53% DR
[Combat (Self)] Scavenger deals 146 (311) Physical to you with Melee Attack. normal hit = 53% DR
[Combat (Self)] Scavenger deals 487 (1035) Physical to you with Bounding Charge. normal hit = 53% DR
[Combat (Self)] Scavenger deals 48 (206) Physical to you with Melee Attack. deflected hit = 76.7% DR
[Combat (Self)] Critical Hit! Scavenger deals 605 (1287) Physical to you with Claw. normal critical hit = 53% DR
[Combat (Self)] Critical Hit! Scavenger deals 61 (259) Physical to you with Melee Attack. deflected critical hit
[Combat (Self)] Critical Hit! Scavenger deals 92 (393) Physical to you with Melee Attack. deflected critical hit

My overall Damage reduction is currently at (as shown in char sheet) 46.1% this number seem to be incorrect in connection to the actual log since my character seem to consistently shrug more than half the damage. My defense is at 4049, my AC from gear is +20, and I have the shield defense paragon feat (+5) [which seem to be bugged since it display only +1] and the base AC is at (+10), so if my equation is correct :

DR(defense,AC) = (31 -10) * 0.5% + 50% * 4049/(1644+4049) = 46.06% (close enough to the char sheet)

If the Paragon feat was working I should then be at :
DR(defense,AC) = (35 -10) * 0.5% + 50% * 4049/(1644+4049) = 48.06% (too far from char sheet and too far from the log)

But then I remembered that I took a feat which is Armor specialization (maxxed), increases the effectiveness of AC and defense by 5%/10%/15%.

Coincidentally:

1.15 * DR(defense,AC) = [(31 -10) * 0.5% + 50% * 4049/(1644+4049)]*1.15 = 52,97%

I am not claiming this is how Armor specialization works, but the numbers do fit quite nicely. Of course I could respecc and try this out again (but those AD are hard to come by and the cost of a respecc is just out of budget for me right now, If anyone didn't spec into these points, I would gladly want a chat and experiment with them to verify this).

All in all, one can conclude that :

1- Deflection stacks on top of defense
2- Any hit can be deflected (i.e. normal hits and critical hits), which suggests that the combat model is not a combat table, but a double roll. Basically, the mob rolls its damage (hit, crit), you roll your (hit, deflect).

The combination of defense and deflection could lead to very interesting optimizations. I am still working on the deflection rating vs. deflection chance (didn't have much gear with deflection so any input numbers are welcome). One thing is certain, that deflection becomes quite useful per point past a certain point in defense, hence, using deflection runes (which have the same budget per point as defense) could be overall more beneficial in overall damage reduction.

I hope this little analysis could be helpful to others, looking forward to feedback and help on these topics. I may have made some mistakes, in that case I apologize for any misdirection this may cause. I also hope the devs answer my ticket and tweets on the +AC paragon feat if it is a bug or just a display bug in the character sheet (so far I really think it is a bug if my previous analysis turn out correctly).

contact ingame: redgar silverkin@xilinear
Post edited by xilinear on

Comments

• Options
    freehugs9freehugs9 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 201 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Great stuff Xilinear. I've been working on the stat scaling too, I've taken Defense = Damage Resistance data from levels 5, 26, 27, 28, 29 and 30 so far (I'm level 30). I've got 40 data points for Defense that fit the formula:
    Damage Resistance = 0.5*(ArmorClass-10)+50*Defense/(Level^0.25*1038-1194+Defense)

So two things:
    1) My forumla for the level is close to the constant you've used but not exact so that probably needs a tweak. If you can, check a range of constants to see if more than one works at level 60 (this will almost certainly be the case, i.e. you might fine 1640 to 1650 works for your gear). If you give me those numbers I'll tweak the part of my formula that derives that constant from your level.
    2) I've found that Feats affect the formula for Recovery in the same way that you've shown your Mitigation Formula to work with your Mitigation Feat.

I have only one data point for Deflect because it's not a stat I collect as a Control Wizard, so I can't help you there.
  • Options
    oreoz2573oreoz2573 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm bumping this to get more eyes on it. I'm not a number cruncher like this so I appreciate the work that those of you who DO enjoy it, do for the community.

I myself specced wholly into Constitution as a dwarf, comin out of the gate with 20 CON, 15 STR and 13 DEX. My basic intent is to concentrate on blocking large damage dealing attacks from either bosses or elites and letting my ridiculous amounts of health take the brunt of the trash. No use wasting guard on an attack that tickles me. lol

Beyond that I'm curious to see what's more worthwhile to put focus on. Defense over Deflection or vice versa?
    "If you're going through Hell, keep going." -Winston Churchill
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    rokuthyrokuthy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 179 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I'm going to link to this thread from my build thread, so keep it updated. Good info here, let me know if you ever run into diminishing returns and at what point that happens, etc. Good work!
    @rokuthy on Mindflayer
    Play my foundry campaign, Vermilion: Spirit of Gevaudan. The first quest, The Desperate Messenger is now available @ NWS-DM44FZM2W
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    rokuthy wrote: »
    Good info here, let me know if you ever run into diminishing returns and what point that happens, etc. Good work!

Have a look at Xilinear's link, the stat starts diminishing from the first point. So it's really a matter of when it becomes worse than Deflect...which is far as I can see would take a LOT of Defense.

What %'s are you getting from your Defense and Deflect stats Rokuthy?
  • Options
    rokuthyrokuthy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 179 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    freehugs9 wrote: »
    Have a look at Xilinear's link, the stat starts diminishing from the first point. So it's really a matter of when it becomes worse than Deflect...which is far as I can see would take a LOT of Defense.

What %'s are you getting from your Defense and Deflect stats Rokuthy?

In my hybrid gear:

AC - 31 - 10.5%
    Defense - 4624 - 36.9%
    Damage reduction - 47.4%

Deflect - 2054 - 15.7%
    Deflection Chance - 17.7%
    @rokuthy on Mindflayer
    Play my foundry campaign, Vermilion: Spirit of Gevaudan. The first quest, The Desperate Messenger is now available @ NWS-DM44FZM2W
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Right, so with your gear you're getting roughly the same % Deflect Chance per point of Deflect as you are % Damage Reduction per point of Defense. Thing is, Deflect is only blocking half as much damage per % because your Deflect Severity is 50% (is it still 50%?).

Assuming you've got the Armor Specialization Feat you're getting another 15% on your Defense, plus Defense is stacking additively with a larger bonus (10.5% from Armor Class vs. the 2% Deflect you have from Dex). So all up you're getting:
    0.0039% damage mitigated per point of Deflect.
    0.0104% damage mitigated per point of Defense.

So Defense is 2.67 times more valuable, assuming I haven't screwed up somewhere there. ;)

Defense and Deflect don't even scale well together, if I were a tank I'd dump as much Deflect as possible for whatever gives more threat generation.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Great stuff Xilinear. I've been working on the stat scaling too, I've taken Defense = Damage Resistance data from levels 5, 26, 27, 28, 29 and 30 so far (I'm level 30). I've got 40 data points for Defense that fit the formula:
    Damage Resistance = 0.5*(ArmorClass-10)+50*Defense/(Level^0.25*1038-1194+Defense)

So two things:
    1) My forumla for the level is close to the constant you've used but not exact so that probably needs a tweak. If you can, check a range of constants to see if more than one works at level 60 (this will almost certainly be the case, i.e. you might fine 1640 to 1650 works for your gear). If you give me those numbers I'll tweak the part of my formula that derives that constant from your level.
    Absolutely brilliant! actually they do!
    1640, 1650 are absolutely fine, the 1 decimal rounding still put the DR percentages right on spot on all but 1 data point. Actually seems that's why my regression gave me something in that range. Here is the numbers I worked with:

150 4,20%
    619 13,70%
    702 15%
    1171 20,80%
    2424 29,80%
    2976 32,20%
    3638 34,40%
    3908 35,20%
    4017 35,50%

2) I've found that Feats affect the formula for Recovery in the same way that you've shown your Mitigation Formula to work with your Mitigation Feat.

I have only one data point for Deflect because it's not a stat I collect as a Control Wizard, so I can't help you there.

Great to see a fellow theorycrafter investigating too! And yes that feat is absolutely not clear. Effectiveness of AC and Defense, at first I thought It increased the defense and AC by 15% :-) which absolutely didn't fit the numbers.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Thing is, Deflect is only blocking half as much damage per % because your Deflect Severity is 50% (is it still 50%?).

This seems to be different with different classes, I am not sure yet if this number can be tweaked by gear, it would be great if it did (a set bonus perhaps? wishful thinking). Anyways, I rolled recently an alt rogue (wanted a pvp pwn class, I apologize!), still at low levels and the deflection severity is at 25%.

When it comes to average damage reduction taking into account the RNG, you would get (if i didn't screw up):

DR_average = Deflection_Chance * [50%+ DR(AC,Defense)/2] + (1-Deflection_Chance) * DR(AC,Defense)

Now to really compare point per point the defense rating and deflection rating, we need to know how Deflection_Chance varies as function of Deflection rating. I suspect a similar model as that of Defense, but we have nowhere enough points...(Sad face). Any idea what the cap could be, 50% ?
  • Options
    h3rflikh3rflik Member Posts: 20
    edited May 2013
    Yeah deflection is calculated after reduction of damage. You get hit, then its reduced by DR, then its rolled for deflect, so 50% DR more.
    I am more interested to where to get deflection severity, as GWF I dont have even 1 skill that increase it, didnt see gear that increase it either. But getting deflection severity with high deflect chance should pump defense alot. GWF got lot of deflection chance, i can have up to 50% deflection chance now without bigger problem.

I wonder if the AC is working as it should, why the first 10 points dont give anything, its 10 points still, sems counter intuitive for me. But on other hand it work same for the base stats (str/dex/int) where 10 points dont do anything.
  • Options
    novronnovron Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Why I made a menzo drow GF. Building toward primary con and secondary dex for deflection. Just an experiement really but will see how it pans out, a lot of it is predicated on Cryptic getting threat issues worked out and str not being such a huge factor anymore.
  • Options
    arktourosxarktourosx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 177 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I'm rocking 45% damage reduction and 20% deflection and my survivability is pretty crazy. You really notice the Deflection as it gets up there.
    nwsignature.jpg
  • Options
    slashylereuxslashylereux Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    "From h3rflik: I wonder if the AC is working as it should, why the first 10 points dont give anything, its 10 points still, sems counter intuitive for me. But on other hand it work same for the base stats (str/dex/int) where 10 points dont do anything."

for as much as people hate to hear it, it is a dnd game so the stats starting at 10 but doing nothing represent a normal person, there is nothing special about them, every point after 10 is a representation of how an adventurer is tougher, smarter, stronger, etc.. from the norm. AC starting at 10 represents the base number to hit an unarmored person, so that's supposed to represent just your body. Now in this game AC just calculates to %dam res so you as a person would have none, the armor creates that.

Just my take on why those numbers do nothing in this game but seeing what they drew inspiration from it makes sense to me.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    arktourosx wrote: »
    I'm rocking 45% damage reduction and 20% deflection and my survivability is pretty crazy. You really notice the Deflection as it gets up there.

Arktourous, if you can could you write down your

Deflection rating and your deflection change % by swaping pieces of gear, It will be very useful to understand the trade-offs. 3-4 points of different deflection ratings and deflection chance would be great.
  • Options
    arktourosxarktourosx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 177 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Okay here's the results of taking armor on and off:

I was at 22.4% Deflection (without Ioun Stone stats). 15.4% from 2000 deflection, 2% from 14 dex, 5% from Plate Agility. I stood there naked and added the following amounts/ratings. I tried to aim around a 200 - 250 or so jump in rating each time:

Deflect Rating -- Deflect %
    58 -- 0.2%
    116 -- 0.6%
    245 -- 1.5%
    374 -- 2.7%
    503 -- 3.9%
    755 -- 6.3%
    1007 -- 8.5%
    1259 -- 10.6%
    1539 -- 12.6%
    2000 -- 15.4%
    2200 -- 16.4% (drank pot)

Graphed:

deflectionn.jpg

So you can see diminishing returns start to kick in post 2000. A very tiny amount (couple 100) won't get much out of it but as you get it passively on gear it's not bad. Considering how poorly defense scales past 4000 (which will net you around 45% reduction) going for Deflection or Offensive stats becomes ideal past that point.

Could be wrong, but that's what you math guys are for.
    nwsignature.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Arktourosx's data fits:

31*Deflect^1.4/(LevelConstant+Deflect^1.4) = % Deflect Chance
    where LevelConstant is between 42,276 and 42,346

The same formula fits my lower level Deflect data, although I admit I don't have heaps of it.

As for a formula for the LevelConstant, I've been working on one for Defense and can't for the life of me get anything to fit. I even tried a curve fit program and failed, so their either using a table of values not derived from a formula, or the formula can't be expressed as a polynomial equation (more likely).
  • Options
    sanshibbiksanshibbik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So you can see diminishing returns start to kick in post 2000. A very tiny amount (couple 100) won't get much out of it but as you get it passively on gear it's not bad. Considering how poorly defense scales past 4000 (which will net you around 45% reduction) going for Deflection or Offensive stats becomes ideal past that point.

Could be wrong, but that's what you math guys are for.[/QUOTE]

I can verify that there is a soft cap around 45% DR from defense. Sadly AC is far less valuable than defense for how hard it is to increase-- although it appears to be calculated separately and not count against the same point of diminishing returns (which is glorious). Another thought in terms of mitigating damage is regen. Granted, lifesteal and regen can both be hard to budget for- but Regen can at least be calculated as a constant. With enough dmg reduction and deflection, it starts to look very tasty in terms of slowing the net loss of hp. (assuming you aren't getting crushed for 16k a pop)
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    sanshibbik wrote: »
    I can verify that there is a soft cap around 45% DR from defense.

In what way?

sanshibbik wrote: »
    Another thought in terms of mitigating damage is regen. Granted, lifesteal and regen can both be hard to budget for- but Regen can at least be calculated as a constant. With enough dmg reduction and deflection, it starts to look very tasty in terms of slowing the net loss of hp. (assuming you aren't getting crushed for 16k a pop).

I was thinking about Regen too, it scales up faster than Deflect but then diminishes sooner. You can work out it's value vs. Defense and Deflect if you make an estimate of how how much DPS you're taking. The larger the portion of your health bar you lose each second, the worse Regen is vs. Deflect and Defense.
    The cut off point for Deflect vs. Regen is about 67% of your health each second. Taking less damage than that? Regen is better.
    Defense is much stronger and scales better so it's hard to make a comparison, by the time you've replaced some Deflect with Regen, Regen will have tapered off and wont hold up well vs. Defense.
  • Options
    securussecurus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Honestly it seems like everything has a soft cap to hit and then start focusing on other stats, ie at about 3k recovery then 4k defense after that you should work on deflect until 2k then you should probably work on regen or life steal and power as power does not seem to have an actual soft cap.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Well not really, I mean it depends on what you mean by Soft Cap. The stats don't hit a wall beyond which they're suddenly less valuable, they all slowly diminish. So you reach a point where, for example, Defense is worth less than Regen, but then as you start to add Regen your Defense is quickly more valuable again. So you need to increase both of those stats from that point rather than cutting over to the new stat entirely.

Neverwinter_tanking_stats.jpg
  • Options
    drpicklewhipdrpicklewhip Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    h3rflik wrote: »
    Yeah deflection is calculated after reduction of damage. You get hit, then its reduced by DR, then its rolled for deflect, so 50% DR more.
    I am more interested to where to get deflection severity, as GWF I dont have even 1 skill that increase it, didnt see gear that increase it either. But getting deflection severity with high deflect chance should pump defense alot. GWF got lot of deflection chance, i can have up to 50% deflection chance now without bigger problem.

I wonder if the AC is working as it should, why the first 10 points dont give anything, its 10 points still, sems counter intuitive for me. But on other hand it work same for the base stats (str/dex/int) where 10 points dont do anything.

This is a function of the source material. D&D has always treated 10 as normal no bonus or penalty. Having a state over 10 meant you were better than normal and got a bonus, less than 10 meant you were bad and had a penalty.
  • Options
    kolbathinkolbathin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    This is a function of the source material. D&D has always treated 10 as normal no bonus or penalty. Having a state over 10 meant you were better than normal and got a bonus, less than 10 meant you were bad and had a penalty.

Lol, actualy your wrong, it was introduced because D&D uses a d20 die to roll stuff which means a ac of 10 is base, and a +0 to hit netted a 50% chance to hit on each swing, alot is calculated from that formula in D&D, for example base diffuclty of a skill check is 10 ect ect, so in summary its NOT based on body or anything like that its based on the mechanics of rolling a d20 die =)
  • Options
    schulz87schulz87 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    so can we conclude that stacking deflection is still worth it? after I get my defense to 2k?
  • Options
    guurzakguurzak Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited June 2013

Be careful throwing around terms like "always". Before 3E, AC improved downward from 10 (worst) to -10 (best). ;)
  • Options
    masu84masu84 Member Posts: 134 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Deflection sucks. Why? well:

lets play a virtual GF with the following stats:

40% Damage Reduce depending to Defense and AC
    20% Deflection Chance

This GF is getting 5 Hits. Each hit 100 Damage. 500 Damage in 5 hits.

-> 300 Damage by using the 40% damage reduction.

20% chance = every fifth hit will be deflected (50% damage deflected). 60 damage per hit (after 40% reduction), 5 hits. In this example only one hit will trigger deflec which results in 30 damage instead of 60 :p

-> 270 Damage by using the 40% damage reduction and 20% deflec chance.

well... 20%chance for half damage = 10% less damage. 10% of 60% damage after first reduction = 6%.
    40% Damage Reduction +20% Deflec = 46% Damage Reduction

Another example:

GF with high defense. 50% Damage Reduction, 33% deflec. Wow, impressive ... ... no its not impressive: 58% Damage reduction. 33% deflec is hard to get. 8% damage reduction is looking very bad.

Deflec is useless. Its senseless to push Deflec by enchantments.

But well, some people are arguing like this: "omg roflmao lol you deflec the huge attack of the boss!!!! you are godlike!!!!" - well the next X huge attacks will not be deflected at all. Its all about the average damage reduction.
    No leaver penality in PvP!

And here is the reason:
    ghostravyn wrote: »
    If you want people to stay for the match end even when you're sitting on a 600-10 score and you've decided to be ***-hats and spawn-camp, you need to give them a reason. Punishing them is not the answer. That's just pouring salt-acid into an already bleeding wound.
  • Options
    visigoth18visigoth18 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 371 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    O_O This is awesome! you Number crunchers are doing some crazy magical stuff I don't get... But now I can finally decide on what I want to socket for Enchantments!!!! WhOOt!

+Def!
    jlTYaLC.gif
    1.jpglXK5k1F.png
  • Options
    schulz87schulz87 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I wanna try out deflect after getting 2-2.5k def, I dnt knw if its worth it, I think the theorycrafters quitted the game or so, too few threads about deflect and this one seems to be the best out there, too bad
  • Options
    megerkomegerko Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    masu84 wrote: »
    20% chance = every fifth hit will be deflected (50% damage deflected). 60 damage per hit (after 40% reduction), 5 hits. In this example only one hit will trigger deflec which results in 30 damage instead of 60 :p
    No.
    Why do u think "every fifth hit will be deflected." ?
    Its only 20% chance. You can deflect hits 5 times in a row, if you are lucky boy,
    or have no deflect from 5 hits at all. Its just a random roll.
    And every next roll have no diminishing from previous roll.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    masu84 wrote: »
    well... 20%chance for half damage = 10% less damage. 10% of 60% damage after first reduction = 6%

It's true, big investment for a small return. I want to add some info:
    1) At 4000 Defense it's value drops below the value of Deflect, so you can't just put all those points into Defense and expect it to work out.
    2) Damage Reduction caps at 80%, which is an issue when a Cleric is buffing your Damage Reduction (+11% from feated Foresight, +24% from Astral Shield, +30% from Hallowed Ground, +40% from Divine Armor). Deflect exceeds that cap taking you up to 90% damage mitigated.
    3) Preliminary testing on the Block mechanics show that your Defense counts for how much you can absorb with Block, but you will never dodge a blocked attack (i.e. Deflect does nothing on Blocks).
    4) Life Steal and Regen will both heal you for that 6% for a lot less points.
  • Options
    burndburnd Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I have 52.5% dmg reduc and 25% deflection is it worth still stacking dmg reduction? I want to invest in dmg reduc enhancement there's and armour one that has a chance of giving 10% dmg reduc lesser something...
  • Options
    psyx0psyx0 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I don't get why people so cheaply forget how Defense is easily reduced by Armor Pen, Plague Fire, and Defense reduction sets. You can stack your Defense skyhigh in vacuum, but you'll get it sliced no time in PvP