test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is Shocking Execution even worth it anymore?

kabothoriginalkabothoriginal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 465 Bounty Hunter
edited June 2013 in The Thieves' Den
I am seriously thinking about getting rid of it completely. PVE its pretty much garbage, and PVP its good for picking off inexperienced runners and that's about it. I am just thinking about saving me 3 points and using it elsewhere as it seems I would rather use lower level dailies now.

Any thoughts or idea's?
Post edited by kabothoriginal on

Comments

• julz0rjulz0r Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    SE is pretty strong in pvp, even after nerf. i use it as an excecute (targets must have low hp, about 30%) for high priority targets and its very good because it cant be avoided and it goes long range. in pve its very useless.
  • kabothoriginalkabothoriginal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 465 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Hmmmmm did they change something? AFAIK, it can be dodged or blocked.
  • x3ladex3lade Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 184 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    To be honest, I think it's better in terms of how Shocking Execution is suppose to work. Before the nerf, most rogues used it as an "opener" as they engage in the fight. Now it's used as an "Execution" type skill to finish them off, although the base damage has been reduced by 60%, you'll still hit hard as the lower the health on the target, the more damage it will do (Increase rank for more damage as target is missing health). So, I like what the dev's have done (PvP wise). Can't say for PvE since I don't use it in PvE.
  • kabothoriginalkabothoriginal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 465 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    x3lade wrote: »
    To be honest, I think it's better in terms of how Shocking Execution is suppose to work. Before the nerf, most rogues used it as an "opener" as they engage in the fight. Now it's used as an "Execution" type skill to finish them off, although the base damage has been reduced by 60%, you'll still hit hard as the lower the health on the target, the more damage it will do (Increase rank for more damage as target is missing health). So, I like what the dev's have done (PvP wise). Can't say for PvE since I don't use it in PvE.

I mean I said in PVP its ok... it can still be blocked or dodged... oh I also failed to mention easily interrupted, it does have a long animation time.
  • creolegamercreolegamer Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    completely useless in pve, lashing blade is much better. Whirlwind of blades even does good aoe crit damage in pvp sometimes, kinda makes me wonder why i still have it in my daily slot even if you consider the added crit severity and crit chance i get after it
  • zellistazellista Member Posts: 100 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Its the most efficient way to kill an undying 10k+ gs sentinel GWF at 30-40% HP.
  • canishelixcanishelix Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 49
    edited June 2013
    They need to increase its priority .. so many skills can just cancel it... and now if they run too far... it doesnt work... worse still

the charge gets consumed but the guy just runs away...
  • pinkfontpinkfont Member Posts: 563 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    It's <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. A daily power shouldn't require a person to be on their deathbed in order to be effective. It honestly seems like they took the suggestions of "making the amount of damage scale more with how much HP target has " and instead went with, "massively decrease damage overall hurrr". There is no reason a "execution" should do considerable damage with an encounter ability. There is no reason a class with AP generation as slow as the rogue, should have a daily power that people can just shrug off. I'm going to be honest here, and attack that is only effective in the enemy is 30% hp is useless. Lurker's Assault can accomplish the exact same thing with a Lashing Blade, plus you'll have increased damage and stealth left afterwards. It's completely pointless to keep in your bar now. An "execution" shouldn't be able to one-shot people in the beginning of a fight, but if an opponent has half his health left, it should end it. Period.

This may be an unpopular opinion, but there you go. I personally believe they went too far and nerfed it into uselessness. No reason to have it take up space on bar. Lurker's Assault is infinitely better, and so is Bloodbath. Bloodbath and SE may both have crappy damage, but at least Bloodbath makes you invulnerable, gives you time for encounter cooldowns to down, and attacks multiple targets. I can't name the number of times I've been fighting a rogue and they've popped SE, and I still have enough health to finish them off. It's sad, but it's a mistake I never make, because that useless ability is never in my bar.

Shocking Execution should be renamed "Surprising Tickle". Eh, on second though, it's name is pretty appropriate; in that people are shocked when it actually manages to execute someone.
    A rich rogue nowadays is fit company for any gentleman; and the world, my dear, hath not such a contempt for roguery as you imagine. - John HAMSTER
  • kevinf08kevinf08 Member Posts: 432 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I personally use courage breaker and lurkers assault.

Can't say I would use SE over courage breaker, I can use courage breaker on a full HP target without being penalized. It does do much less damage than a SE on a 50% health player would but I take it for the utility mostly, if I want to do damage I'll just use lurkers.
  • todesfaelletodesfaelle Member Posts: 1,370 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I replaced my Shocking Execution for Bloodbath. 3 seconds of invulnerability and you have a good chance of killing a CW, DC, or TR at 50% or less HP.

Shocking Execution is still worth it as TR's like us should have no trouble taking our opponent's HP to less than 40%. Shocking Execution at this point works the best at 40% HP or less. Better if it crits.
    edited June 2013
    Well I am thinking about respeccing, and the only real use it seems to have for me, is pvp, and like I said against skilled players its all but useless. Even whip of blades can crit for 10K.
  • manholiomanholio Member Posts: 493 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Nope, not worth it. I go Lurker's/Bloodbath. Almost always Lurker's, but situationally, Bloodbath can be nice.
  • damianessdamianess Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 283 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    zellista wrote: »
    Its the most efficient way to kill an undying 10k+ gs sentinel GWF at 30-40% HP.

This right here, this man knows what he's talking about. This is the only reason why I keep SE because it bypasses their mitigation.
  • ganjaman1ganjaman1 Member Posts: 792 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I am seriously thinking about getting rid of it completely. PVE its pretty much garbage, and PVP its good for picking off inexperienced runners and that's about it. I am just thinking about saving me 3 points and using it elsewhere as it seems I would rather use lower level dailies now.

Any thoughts or idea's?

It depends on the weather , if the wind blows slightly to the left then it's time to use Shocking Execution .
  • meeggtoastmeeggtoast Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 159 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Lol PvE Execution is terrible my stealth lashing hits harder than my stealth crit shocking execution on an elite mob below 10% it is really a waste of a daily for all rogues. Whirlwind of Blades will 100% guarantee to do overall total damage than shocking execution. As mostly a primary PvE player I stopped even using Whirlwind considering lurker + blitz deals nearly the same amount of damage.

TL:DR Shocking is terrible for PvE 100% waste of a daily slot. PvE rogues should only use Lurker's because all other Dailies are pretty much shooting a water gun at yazimat.
    Nevermore@meeggtoast 12.2 BiS TR
    Lanaya@meeggtoast 13.4 BiS GWF
    Shendelzare@meeggtoast 11.2k CN mule CW

Server: Dragon
    Stream: meeggtoast
    Guide: Meeggtoast's Destroyer Dps Guide