test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

@Cryptic/PWE: Why are you not delivering what your customers are asking for?

Comments

• magoguitarristamagoguitarrista Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 105
    edited June 2013
    "Money" , "Corporation" and "Business" Should be the answer for all the inexplicable questions you may found in this life...
  • aorin84aorin84 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    kiralyn wrote: »
    re: "they're not giving us what we want"

Well, they are giving some of it.... for ex, people complained (myself among them) about lack of visual diversity. So we have dyes in Alchemy, and Module 1 is apparently coming with more armor models.
    (also, I'm definitely happy to see more quest content coming. Yeah, I'd like to see an archer class, too. But they can't do everything at once..... well, I suppose they could, but then it would be even more buggy. :p)

yes, they are doing some of the things the community wants. The companion upgrade for example, is another one of the top requested things. My point is that they have not addressed the new class/paragon paths issues, when in almost every interview they have done recently they keep saying "soon", and why they have been holding on to a playable race that is clearly completed.

A new class or classes and paragon diversity are the biggest things that would entice people that have already quit to return and play again. They are the biggest things that would improve upon the existing game (excluding fixing the problems with existing content).
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited June 2013
    No you expect them to reveal all their plans for the future...

Let's pretend they do...
    Your next response would be "What else are you making?"

And their only possible response would be "...nothing until we release that..."
    And then you would sit here and get no news about anything new until module 1 is released.

Information is released little by little. Never all in one lump. You are ASSUMING that they aren't making more classes/paragons/powers/etc because they didn't include it in the recent reveal. What I am telling you is that no video game company reveals everything about their future content until right before it gets released if not refraining from posting the full details until launch day.

They already have said, as of back in Feb/March, that they are working on two more classes.
    We also heard that the sixth class "nearly made it into launch."
    And the last bit of information we got was that the sixth class is close to completed and is a "ranged" class.

Not confirming it is in Module 1 is NOT a confirmation it isn't included in module one or isn't coming sooner.
  • aorin84aorin84 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    No you expect them to reveal all their plans for the future...

Let's pretend they do...
    Your next response would be "What else are you making?"

And their only possible response would be "...nothing until we release that..."
    And then you would sit here and get no news about anything new until module 1 is released.

Information is released little by little. Never all in one lump. You are ASSUMING that they aren't making more classes/paragons/powers/etc because they didn't include it in the recent reveal. What I am telling you is that no video game company reveals everything about their future content until right before it gets released if not refraining from posting the full details until launch day.

They already have said, as of back in Feb/March, that they are working on two more classes.
    We also heard that the sixth class "nearly made it into launch."
    And the last bit of information we got was that the sixth class is close to completed and is a "ranged" class.

Not confirming it is in Module 1 is NOT a confirmation it isn't included in module one or isn't coming sooner.

You are absolutely correct. But since they released the Fury of the Feywild information, and it has no information about any of this, how are we to know they are even working on it? How are we to know that our requested products are being worked on?

I would be happy with solid information that they are working on these things, instead of being handed a preview page showing me all their hard work on completely unrelated things. It shows me that they aren't working on it; unless I'm told otherwise, how am I to know?
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited June 2013
    Patience...

You will never get all the details of upcoming content from any video game company.

It's a hook to keep you interested. Each bit of released content wets your tongue but never quenches your thirst. Get used to it!

And as I said, even if they gave you that information you would want more. >.<

It's like a good book series or television show. They can't produce things fast enough to deal with the demand for new information so it has to be released slowly.
    edited June 2013
    From the Extended FAQ:
    What are the specifics surrounding the exclusivity of the Menzoberranzan Renegade Drow that comes with the Hero of the North Founder's Pack?

The Menzo-Renegade look, tattoo, racial background, racial ability, and special companion will remain permanently exclusive to Hero of the North Pack purchases. The vanilla, non-Menzoberranzan Renegade Drow race will be unavailable for at least 60 days after release. We are currently planning to do a future update that will allow all players will be able to create a regular Drow character."

So what, they stopped their plans for this and put it off to the side to work instead on moon and sun elves? This post was made in November of 2012.
    Will it cost ZEN to unlock additional Races and Classes?

All the available races at launch will be free. We are planning to release the regular Drow for free post-launch (after at least 60 days to allow for Founder's Pack exclusivity). Note that only the regular Drow race will become available; the Menzoberranzen Renegade will always remain exclusive to Hero of the North Pack purchases.

Details regarding additional classes and races should be announced soon!

Founder pack exclusivity is now beyond 60 days. Yes, I realize they said post-launch, but the reasoning is for Founder pack exclusivity. Hero Founders were allowed head start access on April 25th. If the 60 days post launch refers to official launch, we would be up to 125 days of exclusivity.

In November of 2012, they said they will have details regarding additional classes that should be announced soon.

Soon = 7+ months?

LOL
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'm just amazed that people are trying to legitimately answer this guys questions.

Just chalk it up to yet another "I want it Noowwwwwww" whine and move on.

It's very effective to cry about lack of communication because you can make that argument if the developers do anything short of sitting down with you holding your hand and slowly tell you every single date down to the hour that things will be rolled out in the next two years.

Also where in the hell is it written that players have to be informed of every single detail? This is the game you have if you are done move on until there's more...if you can't and this is your life you have issues.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
    edited June 2013
    Are you ignoring what I am saying or are you trying to irritate me?

The drow will be released at least sixty days after launch. Period!

It is not being put off due to the Moon Elves or Sun Elves. They don't need to put it in the Module 1 information because you already have confirmation. The drow will be available at least 60 days after launch.
  • vampiregoatvampiregoat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    SIMPLE:Money talks BS walks new content = more money they can suck from players, new classes not so much $$$
    edited June 2013
    I'm just amazed that people are trying to legitimately answer this guys questions.

Just chalk it up to yet another "I want it Noowwwwwww" whine and move on.

It's very effective to cry about lack of communication because you can make that argument if the developers do anything short of sitting down with you holding your hand and slowly tell you every single date down to the hour that things will be rolled out in the next two years.

Also where in the hell is it written that players have to be informed of every single detail? This is the game you have if you are done move on until there's more...if you can't and this is your life you have issues.

I didn't want community feedback. "@Cryptic/PWE&quot; means I was addressing someone from their community, with a request to know why the were putting so much effort on "Product Y" and not the highly requested content.

When someone tells me SOON I don't expect half a year or more to pass before I hear any more information about it.

It's not written that players have to be informed of every single detail, but as a paying customer a little more communication that they are actually working on the things they said MONTHS AGO they would have for us "SOON" would be nice, let alone expected.
    edited June 2013
    Are you ignoring what I am saying or are you trying to irritate me?

The drow will be released at least sixty days after launch. Period!

It is not being put off due to the Moon Elves or Sun Elves. They don't need to put it in the Module 1 information because you already have confirmation. The drow will be available at least 60 days after launch.

60 days after official launch would be August 20th. If they have it ready, and it's been more than 60 days of Hero Founder exclusivity, why wait? If Fury of the Feywild comes out before August 20th, why not toss it in that major content update?

It is directly contradicting what is in the FAQ.
  • killerellakillerella Member Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    aorin84 wrote: »
    You are absolutely correct. But since they released the Fury of the Feywild information, and it has no information about any of this, how are we to know they are even working on it? How are we to know that our requested products are being worked on?

I would be happy with solid information that they are working on these things, instead of being handed a preview page showing me all their hard work on completely unrelated things. It shows me that either they aren't working on it; unless I'm told otherwise, how am I to know?

The only way you will ever know "everything" they are working on is if you get a JOB there... Assuming you were hired, then nothing you learned about the current/future game development could be revealed to the public anyway.

Your best realistic bet to maximize your knowledge of their development is to keep an eye on the Dev Tracker (sometimes they slip and post an unintended tidbit), and any interviews the Dev staff does on gaming review websites. I know its not what you want to hear, but its reality.
  • osiabunnyosiabunny Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'm assuming they aren't because they have zero communication about these issues, which leads me to believe they aren't.

Might also think a company only works on one issue at a time too? LOL
    edited June 2013
    killerella wrote: »
    The only way you will ever know "everything" they are working on is if you get a JOB there... Assuming you were hired, then nothing you learned about the current/future game development could be revealed to the public anyway.

Your best realistic bet to maximize your knowledge of their development is to keep an eye on the Dev Tracker (sometimes they slip and post an unintended tidbit), and any interviews the Dev staff does on gaming review websites. I know its not what you want to hear, but its reality.

I can agree with all that, but it's kind of insulting to have them come out and say "look at all this stuff we've been working on" and it doesn't contain any of the things they had previously said they were working on.
    edited June 2013
    One game I played did weekly content updates. They would release an article at the beginning of the month stating what content being released that month and give a brief synopsis of that content.
    They rarely, if ever, spoke about content that wasn't scheduled for immediate release even though they certainly had content releases planned at least six months (the average development time of each piece of content) in advance.

But that's not the true point. One time they had the worst month planned EVER. Horrible month. I opened the article and I literally gawked at what a horrible bit of news it was. Not a single thing sounded interesting at all. There were usually 2 "meh" updates but one was normally was worth getting excited for and this month had nothing.

They spoke about some small updates at the end of the month. You would get to make a clockwork cat, make some tea pots (oh boy!) teleportation runes and you even even sit in chairs now!!!
    Worst update ever...

Until the release day when we found out that it was actually a round-about hint of features they included with Player Owned Housing.

Withholding information is good for both the company and the players and it happens all the time in every single game which receives content updates. There's a huge difference between no communication and you wanting all the information they could possibly give.

I am surprised at how much information they released about Module 1. Most companies wouldn't have released that much information until it was close to release.
    edited June 2013
    Communication like you describe there would be fantastic. Having pre-tested quality patches would be beyond my wildest dreams, considering the things we've seen so far.

I can appreciate the withholding information for the shock-and-awe approach, I hope that is what is happening here. I would happily eat my words if this is the case.
  • khatzhaskhatzhas Member Posts: 268 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I can agree with all that, but it's kind of insulting to have them come out and say "look at all this stuff we've been working on" and it doesn't contain any of the things they had previously said they were working on.

Why would they need to tell us that they are working on the stuff that they had previously told us they are working on?

Bear in mind the development cycle: the content in Fury of the Feywild was probably already being worked on before Open Beta began.
    They will already be working on the content due for the next update after Fury of the Feywild at the moment. They aren't likely to tell us about it until Fury is in the game though.

We know that Drow will be coming out at least 60 days after launch. For all we know, they are ready implemented fully within the game and just require Cryptic to flick the switch. As soon as August 20th comes around, they hit that switch and bingo, we have Drow.
  • killerellakillerella Member Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Heres an example of one of those TIDBITS I was talking about...its not a lot, but you would be surprised how much you can piece together from several more of these ;)
  • benialahabenialaha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    glad to hear, but by then the gamer base is long gone, your step pwe :3
  • gambitclickgambitclick Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 239 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    LOL they can't even fix what little content is already in this game. What makes you think they can deliver on more content and classes / races that people actually want? Every dungeon has exploits and/or shortcuts. Every class has broken skills, armor sets, and/or Feats. Botters are running the enchantment market, crafting materials market, and some RMT (gold farmers) even have the shirts and pants market cornered. Imbalanced PvP and lacking PvE. Heck, they can't even get their super hyped up Gauntlgyrm to work properly, nor does GG deliver on what people were expecting and hoping for in the first place.
  • skalt112skalt112 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    efaicia wrote: »
    Seriously? This game is DESIGNED to be rushed through. What do you remember about lvling? I mean, be honest here. If they REALLY wanted us to take our time wouldn't they have given us more to lvl through? Maybe 1 or 2 more starting areas? Or home towns? Or lvling paths? THERE IS JUST ONE. I have never seen such simplicity from a game while at the same time people are claiming the devs want us to take our time.:rolleyes:

I have never played a game, in the many years that I have been a gamer, where I could raise a character to level cap and have him geared for the hardest content in 6 days. I have leveled 4 characters to 60 since open beta began, and have all of then tier 2 ready. There is something wrong here. If you allow people to level this fast, then you better have tons of content waiting for them at 60. This game fails miserably at balancing time to cap/with content at cap.
  • cureforhumanitycureforhumanity Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    As someone who has enjoyed, but is yet to spend money on this game:

I want new paragon paths if I am going to play/spend money on this game. The skill customizability/upgrades in this game are already probably its weak point. There are very few interesting options and upgrades basically all do the same thing. The only saver is being able to choose different paragon paths. Without that everyone may as well be playing the same thing.

How this game could possibly go live without more class build paths is beyond me. I've not played a modern era MMO with less build options than Neverwinter - which is a shame because a lot of other aspects of this game are quite fun.
  • czarkazmczarkazm Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I don't know what they have planned that they have not released information for. If they do have these planned, one would think they would have added it to the Fury of the Feywild preview page, or have better communication about it.

I wasn't even online during the time window that whole fiasco occured on. I was on a beach in South Carolina. I'm not an exploiter, I'm just referencing the fact that they banned people for finding a bug in a game that was in a beta test phase.

I'm not understanding your comparison. If the number one beer being bought in the country was Miller Lite, and a certain bar did not have Miller Lite, do you think there would be customers disappointed with this? Some might concede to drinking something else, a little sour that the product they wanted was not available; some may even leave and go to a different bar.

Sorry, my "you" was not meant for you in particular, it was meant in a general sense. Exploiters should be banned, period. People willing to do it in a "beta" are the same people who will do it when the game goes live.

There are plenty of bars in this area that do not carry the most popular brand (usually bud light), people will drink what there is more often than not. The idea I was putting forth is that your theory that not having the most popular type of movie would spell doom for movies in general is a logical fallacy. People do not buy what they want, they buy what is available to them at the time, this is a common marketing 101 theory.
  • czarkazmczarkazm Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    One game I played did weekly content updates. They would release an article at the beginning of the month stating what content being released that month and give a brief synopsis of that content.
    They rarely, if ever, spoke about content that wasn't scheduled for immediate release even though they certainly had content releases planned at least six months (the average development time of each piece of content) in advance.

I also was playing a game with (generally) weekly updates, and a monthly roadmap. You really want to see a community go crazy? Wait till they don't get EVERY SINGLE THING that was "promised" to them in the roadmap.
    edited June 2013
    czarkazm wrote: »
    Sorry, my "you" was not meant for you in particular, it was meant in a general sense. Exploiters should be banned, period. People willing to do it in a "beta" are the same people who will do it when the game goes live.

There are plenty of bars in this area that do not carry the most popular brand (usually bud light), people will drink what there is more often than not. The idea I was putting forth is that your theory that not having the most popular type of movie would spell doom for movies in general is a logical fallacy. People do not buy what they want, they buy what is available to them at the time, this is a common marketing 101 theory.

Not doom to movies in general, but overall, the box office would lose out big time. The amount of people that would pay to see Avatar, The Avengers, Star Trek in 3D IMAX let alone plain old regular showings vs the amount of people that would pay to see ...idk, Love Actually in 3D IMAX or something, or just wait and get it from redbox for $1?

Movies would live on, of course, but clearly the top 10 is beefy with action content. They deliver more of what people want and the bucks keep coming. you see what I'm saying?
    edited June 2013
    czarkazm wrote: »
    I also was playing a game with (generally) weekly updates, and a monthly roadmap. You really want to see a community go crazy? Wait till they don't get EVERY SINGLE THING that was "promised" to them in the roadmap.

Oh I have which is why I back every game developer 100% when they don't give details about future content.

When I stopped playing that same game I mentioned you could go on the forums and on the same page you could find a thread which said:

"Devs 'promised' that they would release <content> 9 years ago and it never came!"
    and
    "The devs don't tell us anything about future content!"

All I can do is wonder (sarcasm) why on earth wouldn't the developers tell you about future plans? It certainly doesn't have anything to do with that flame thread dealing with what one of the developers simply said was a good idea nine years earlier!

During my experience working on NWN Content I realized really quickly that plans change quickly based on various factors. Sometimes things just aren't possible to be made or are just don't work out right. Sometimes things have to be tweaked to work correctly and are released working completely differently than originally planned.

Based on my own experience companies don't say anything about content unless it's, as somebody else said earlier, as simple as turning a switch. Anything they confirm has to be set in stone because if even one word is off players will catch it and they will be hearing about it 10 years later.
    But it's those same players who don't realize that they keep so secretive because they are so demanding of information. If the players accepted that sometimes plans change then things could be much more transparent...

But I don't have any faith the gaming community could be trusted to not act like a...gaming community. :p
  • jayws84jayws84 Member Posts: 42
    edited June 2013
    You have to keep in mind that things take time to plan, before delivering is even an option. And when something is planned and decided upon, it's not as simple as putting a few coders on it and have it done in a matter of days or even weeks. Would you really want them to haphazardly throw the ranger class together becuase people want it "naow", and let the players playtest it live? We're talking about a completely new class with tons of skills, graphics, itemization and so on. The first module was likely planned long before open beta even started, and they did what adjustments they could according to player feedback. It's not realistic to expect them to just drop everything on the spot, scrap everything that is currently in developement and start over with something else just because people on the forum ask them to. It just doesn't happen that way.

The game has many issues, and customer support is very weak. But if you actually read the updates and try not to see everything from a negative view, you will realize that they indeed listen to their players and try to change things accordingly. They can't change everything on a whim, they can't scrap game mechanics weeks before or after official launch. But I like the game and I intend to stay around and hope that, with time, the game will be improved in all sorts of ways.

Stop acting like a spoiled brat, be glad the game is free to play and either have patience or play something else that suits you better.
  • wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,847 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    To be honest, i was really disappointed that Drow weren't there during launch, I really enjoyed playing them in beta, and the Underdark origin is there which really doesn't make sense unless you're drow. Hopefully they're added in for free before too long.
  • zlainfurryzlainfurry Banned Users Posts: 163 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    jayws84 wrote: »
    You have to keep in mind that things take time to plan, before delivering is even an option. And when something is planned and decided upon, it's not as simple as putting a few coders on it and have it done in a matter of days or even weeks. Would you really want them to haphazardly throw the ranger class together becuase people want it "naow", and let the players playtest it live? We're talking about a completely new class with tons of skills, graphics, itemization and so on. The first module was likely planned long before open beta even started, and they did what adjustments they could according to player feedback. It's not realistic to expect them to just drop everything on the spot, scrap everything that is currently in developement and start over with something else just because people on the forum ask them to. It just doesn't happen that way.

The game has many issues, and customer support is very weak. But if you actually read the updates and try not to see everything from a negative view, you will realize that they indeed listen to their players and try to change things accordingly. They can't change everything on a whim, they can't scrap game mechanics weeks before or after official launch. But I like the game and I intend to stay around and hope that, with time, the game will be improved in all sorts of ways.

Stop acting like a spoiled brat, be glad the game is free to play and either have patience or play something else that suits you better.

You're implying that they are just starting on the class like nowish, how long do you think they've had so far working on the classes? Also, in coding, more people on a project does directly equate to shorter time to completion. The bigger your staff, the more you get done earlier.
  • jayws84jayws84 Member Posts: 42
    edited June 2013
    zlainfurry wrote: »
    You're implying that they are just starting on the class like nowish, how long do you think they've had so far working on the classes? Also, in coding, more people on a project does directly equate to shorter time to completion. The bigger your staff, the more you get done earlier.

And your point is? If the class is in developement, it will be released when it's finished. Not when enough people demand it's release at this very moment.
This discussion has been closed.