test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Do not add new classes to Neverwinter, add new Paragon Paths for exisiting classes

lltsnwnlltsnwn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 787 Bounty Hunter
edited July 2013 in PvE Discussion
If Cryptic adds a new class to Neverwinter that has the same group role as an existing class such as tank, healer, DPS they will be balanced against each others abilities. In order to create artificial differences between the balanced classes of the same group role Cryptic will cripple or remove useful abilities from both in an effort to create illusionary differences.

Unless Cryptic adds a completely new unique group function (which it most likely will NOT do) to Neverwinter that will function completely different than the existing classes, adding a new class is a terrible idea. Neverwinter's group size if five characters and if you create a new class either that class would be completely optional (which would be viewed as useless by the players) or required (and would by necessity replace an existing class from the group).

If you add a new tank, healer, etc class you don't add any variety, you simply create the illusion of such and cripple both. New Neverwinter classes are a bad idea...

All of the posts complaining about not having a new class added to Neverwinter will multiply in number by the posts made comparing the so called different classes that have the same group role. This is a doomed strategy...

New Neverwinter Paragon Paths for existing classes are the way to go.
12.jpgRanger.jpg
Post edited by lltsnwn on

Comments

• hkiewahkiewa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 379 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Nope....Regardless, they have the capability to do both
  • pinkfontpinkfont Member Posts: 563 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Nope, I'd much rather have another class.

In fact, I doubt we'll ever get more paragon paths. They already have trouble balancing the ones we have now.

And how long do you think this game is going to last, realistically?

No, another class is definitely more realistic. I don't even need it soon. Just eventually.
    A rich rogue nowadays is fit company for any gentleman; and the world, my dear, hath not such a contempt for roguery as you imagine. - John HAMSTER
  • lltsnwnlltsnwn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 787 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    hkiewa wrote: »
    Nope....Regardless, they have the capability to do both

You can add all of the neat new features that you can dream up through Paragon Paths without starting the Class Warfare between group roles... This a doomed strategy that has repeated time after time... Why would you set yourself for failure?
    12.jpgRanger.jpg
  • tarmalentarmalen Member Posts: 1,020 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Yes we need a new class.

I would like to see a another healer class introduced to ease the dependance on DC.
    edited June 2013
    pinkfont wrote: »
    Nope, I'd much rather have another class.

In fact, I doubt we'll ever get more paragon paths. They already have trouble balancing the ones we have now.

And how long do you think this game is going to last, realistically?

No, another class is definitely more realistic. I don't even need it soon. Just eventually.

Don't say I didn't warn you...

“Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.” Sir Winston Churchill

sir-winston-churchill.jpg
    12.jpgRanger.jpg
  • hkiewahkiewa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 379 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Spare us your imagined clue
    edited June 2013
    tarmalen wrote: »
    Yes we need a new class.

I would like to see a another healer class introduced to ease the dependance on DC.

You will not increase the number of players who want to play healers by adding a new healer class...
    12.jpgRanger.jpg
  • cichardcichard Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    DnD is about diversity in classes. With 4e having 16 classes they need to add more of them. Having diversity in class choice is great. Not having 1000 Guardian fighters running around... even if you had new paragon paths, at core the class is the same.. all the paragon path did was add like 5 skills to the power list and some feats after 30. i dont even use any paragon powers. Class diversity is the way to go.
    edited June 2013
    hkiewa wrote: »
    Spare us your imagined clue

What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach. So you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it. I don't like it any more than you men.
    12.jpgRanger.jpg
  • keobiaakeobiaa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Can you stop spouting mindless rhetoric, it's almost cringe worthy. The game needs more paragon paths and more classes, irregardless of what role they fit into.
  • allaerraallaerra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 838 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    ::Sigh::

D&D is about class variety. More classes AND Paragon paths are needed.
  • ehraehra Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    lltsnwn wrote: »
    If you add a new tank, healer, etc class you don't add any variety, you simply create the illusion of such and cripple both. New Neverwinter classes are a bad idea...

All of the posts complaining about not having a new class added to Neverwinter will multiply in number by the posts made comparing the so called different classes that have the same group role. This is a doomed strategy...

New Neverwinter Paragon Paths for existing classes are the way to go.

Except more paragon paths would have the same issue. For example, the Radiant Servant paragon path for Clerics allows you to pick up some more damage while the Warpriest paragon path gives Clerics extra tankiness. The current Guardian Fighter paragon path increases defense, any new ones they get are sure to give them more damage and/or control. You seem to be under the impression that future paragon paths are just going to provide more ways of filling the classes' current roles, when in reality they let you branch out in various ways.

Also, 4th edition D&D isn't MEANT to be a game where there's only one specific class for each "role." There are many different classes that can be tanks, there are many different leaders, controllers, and strikers. Variety is a good thing. I find things get boring when every group has the exact same classes all the time because you only have one option to fill different necessary roles.
  • tarmalentarmalen Member Posts: 1,020 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    You will not increase the number of players who want to play healers by adding a new healer class...

Why yes....yes you would.

Some people don't play Cleric because they don't like the class mechanics.

Maybe someone would play a different healing class with different mechanics...I.E. Druid.
  • twisted0utlawtwisted0utlaw Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I don't see why they can't do both. Everyone is either for Classes and no Paragon Paths or Paragon Paths and no new classes.

Add new Paragon paths, and add new classes.
    edited June 2013
    ehra wrote: »

Also, 4th edition D&D isn't MEANT to be a game where there's only one specific class for each "role." There are many different classes that can be tanks, there are many different leaders, controllers, and strikers. Variety is a good thing. I find things get boring when every group has the exact same classes all the time because you only have one option.

If you have two classes that fit the same group "role" then people are going to take the one that does the job the best. Paragon paths are added on value and can be taken as player preference over a completely different group role. Adding more classes just muddies the waters and makes Cryptic's job harder with no value added.
    12.jpgRanger.jpg
    edited June 2013
    tarmalen wrote: »
    Why yes....yes you would.

Some people don't play Cleric because they don't like the class mechanics.

Maybe someone would play a different healing class with different mechanics...I.E. Druid.

Forgot to reply to that post of theirs as well. I agree with you, I enjoy healing but I don't really like the the playstyle of the current DC. However, I'll be much more willing to play a healer when/if we get a Battle Cleric that's equipped to heal from the front lines.
    If you have two classes that fit the same group "role" then people are going to take the one that does the job the best. Paragon paths are added on value and can be taken as player preference over a completely different group role. Adding more classes just muddies the waters and makes Cryptic's job harder with no value added.

If you're going to argue that players will min/max over classes and deny the "inferior" option then you have to apply the same argument to paragon paths. If DCs get a paragon path that adds damage then it either makes them competitive with other damage classes who are then denied group spots, or it isn't competitive with other damage classes and no one uses that path. It's the exact same "problem." There's no reason to assume that a worse class would be denied a group spot but a cleric who speced for inferior damage options would be welcomed simply as "player preference."

edit: Heck, people already feel GFs deal a lot of damage. What do you think will happen when/if they get a paragon path that gives them even more damage options? You don't think they will further infringe on DPS group spots the same way a new striker class would?
  • benialahabenialaha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    **** you i want a ranger, not a trickster rouge with ranger paragon.
  • smokeygbsmokeygb Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 65
    edited June 2013
    A ranged DPS class, true ranged DPS, is needed. Ranger, Warlock, what have you.

The Paragon paths are well off I expect. In the short term I would think new classes would come first.
    edited June 2013
    Forgot to reply to that post of theirs as well. I agree with you, I enjoy healing but I don't really like the the playstyle of the current DC. However, I'll be much more willing to play a healer when/if we get a Battle Cleric that's equipped to heal from the front lines.

If you're going to argue that players will min/max over classes and deny the "inferior" option then you have to apply the same argument to paragon paths. If DCs get a paragon path that adds damage then it either makes them competitive with other damage classes who are then denied group spots, or it isn't competitive with other damage classes and no one uses that path. It's the exact same "problem." There's no reason to assume that a worse class would be denied a group spot but a cleric who speced for inferior damage options would be welcomed simply as "player preference."

edit: Heck, people already feel GFs deal a lot of damage. What do you think will happen when/if they get a paragon path that gives them even more damage options? You don't think they will further infringe on DPS group spots the same way a new striker class would?

If your group requires a healer then you are FORCED to take a DC to fit the spot regardless of which paragon path the player prefers. If you have two healer classes then Cryptic is forced to balance both the game and the two classes together in a tangled mess. The nerf to Astral Shield for example was painful for DCs but necessary and because there is only ONE healer class groups are forced to adapt to the change. If there was a second healer class DCs would be blacklisted and put on the sideline.
    12.jpgRanger.jpg
  • nornsavantnornsavant Member Posts: 311 Arc User
    edited June 2013

I see that you are approaching this from a very mechanical standpoint and that’s entirely reasonable and one might ever call it “correct” but the place where you are missing the tail-hook with the rest of the dissenters can be summed up in a word.

Vanity.

I think Neverwinter will indeed get more healers if they were to release, lets say, a druid class that healed. Because some people would want to play a druid class, not for its mechanical brilliance but for its flavor as a druid. So too they would not shun it because it lacked something the Devoted Cleric did better. You might, but a less technically oriented gamer that liked the druid for more aesthetic reasons would likely return to that class.

Plenty of people played the GWF even when it was a pile of unfortunate decisions. They wanted the flavor of the GWF.

Yes, you definitely have a point with the added complexity taxing the already frayed Fisher-Price skills of the development team and the elitist dungeon-stompers will be insisting on min-maxed cookie-cutter builds and class conformity.

But the future does not hold a wasteland of empty class categories. It holds a plethora of class categories that some people will complain about (I.E. Shadowknights)
  • pinkfontpinkfont Member Posts: 563 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    This game needs a proper ranged DPS. It needs it. The only thing that's going to stop whining about rogues is a class that could output similar amounts of damage from dedicated range.
    A rich rogue nowadays is fit company for any gentleman; and the world, my dear, hath not such a contempt for roguery as you imagine. - John HAMSTER
    edited June 2013
    nornsavant wrote: »
    I see that you are approaching this from a very mechanical standpoint and that’s entirely reasonable and one might ever call it “correct” but the place where you are missing the tail-hook with the rest of the dissenters can be summed up in a word.

Vanity.

I think Neverwinter will indeed get more healers if they were to release, lets say, a druid class that healed. Because some people would want to play a druid class, not for its mechanical brilliance but for its flavor as a druid. So too they would not shun it because it lacked something the Devoted Cleric did better. You might, but a less technically oriented gamer that liked the druid for more aesthetic reasons would likely return to that class.

Plenty of people played the GWF even when it was a pile of unfortunate decisions. They wanted the flavor of the GWF.

Yes, you definitely have a point with the added complexity taxing the already frayed Fisher-Price skills of the development team and the elitist dungeon-stompers will be insisting on min-maxed cookie-cutter builds and class conformity.

But the future does not hold a wasteland of empty class categories. It holds a plethora of class categories that some people will complain about (I.E. Shadowknights)

I can't help it I'm a mechanical minded person ;)

Would those who want classes X, Y, Z be equally satisfied if I took an existing class and replaced the descriptive words with one that would fit an illusionary choice?

For example take star wars online: You have two factions Sith and Republic with four classes on each side balanced against each other. For example...

Republic Jedi Knight
    140px-Jedi-Knight.png

Sith Warrior
    140px-Sith-Warrior.png

Both have near identical abilities with completely cosmetic differences, yet are two "different" classes? Do we just reskin classes to give people the illusion of choice?
    12.jpgRanger.jpg
    edited June 2013
    pinkfont wrote: »
    This game needs a proper ranged DPS. It needs it. The only thing that's going to stop whining about rogues is a class that could output similar amounts of damage from dedicated range.

Why would anyone play a rogue if you can do nearly the same damage from range? Being in melee is more difficult as you have to move around more, expose yourself to more area effect damage, etc. Seriously why would anyone play a rogue?
    12.jpgRanger.jpg
    edited June 2013
    If your group requires a healer then you are FORCED to take a DC to fit the spot regardless of which paragon path the player prefers. If you have two healer classes then Cryptic is forced to balance both the game and the two classes together in a tangled mess. The nerf to Astral Shield for example was painful for DCs but necessary and because there is only ONE healer class groups are forced to adapt to the change. If there was a second healer class DCs would be blacklisted and put on the sideline.

All I'm hearing that you don't care if damage classes have further competition as long as DCs/GFs get to keep having a monopoly on their respective roles. Sorry, once we get more options you're going to have to rely on your own ability as a player to get a group, not your class selection.

edit:
    For example take star wars online: You have two factions Sith and Republic with four classes on each side balanced against each other. For example...

And it's hilarious that you just used TOR as an example. There are 3 tanks and 3 healers in that game. Your mirror class comparison made no sense at all. Also, each side has 8 classes not four.
    edited June 2013
    All I'm hearing that you don't care if damage classes have further competition as long as DCs/GFs get to keep having a monopoly on their respective roles. Sorry, once we get more options you're going to have to rely on your own ability as a player to get a group, not your class selection.

My point was because there wasn't multiple classes that fit the healer group role Cryptic could make game balance changes for the good of Neverwinter without the added complexity of trying then balance each of the healer classes against each other. It adds a completely unnecessary level of complexity to game balance when changes are needed to the game without any value added.
    12.jpgRanger.jpg
    edited June 2013
    My point was because there wasn't multiple classes that fit the healer group role Cryptic could make game balance changes for the good of Neverwinter without the added complexity of trying then balance each of the healer classes against each other. It adds a completely unnecessary level of complexity to game balance when changes are needed to the game without any value added.

As I pointed out in my edit, your TOR example pretty much defeats your point. Each side in TOR has 3 tanking options, Jedi Guardians / Sith Juggarnauts, Jedi Shadow / Sith Assassin, Vanguard / Powertech. Same for healing, there are 3 options to take the healing role. Yet the game manages it fine; each class has its own place while players have the benefit of having different playstyle options among each role. Just about every MMO or even game out there offers this choice. Going by your logic we shouldn't even have a GWF because one damage (rogue) or tank option is enough.
    edited June 2013
    And it's hilarious that you just used TOR as an example. There are 3 tanks and 3 healers in that game. Your mirror class comparison made no sense at all. Also, each side has 8 classes not four.

TOR must have made some changes since I played it last... When I played there were eight classes total, four on each faction (Republic & Sith) Trooper/Bounty Hunter, Smuggler/Imperial Agent, Jedi Knight/Sith Warrior and Jedi Counsular/Sith Inquisitor. The four classes were cosmetic clones of each other.
    12.jpgRanger.jpg
    edited June 2013
    TOR must have made some changes since I played it last... When I played there were eight classes total, four on each faction (Republic & Sith) Trooper/Bounty Hunter, Smuggler/Imperial Agent, Jedi Knight/Sith Warrior and Jedi Counsular/Sith Inquisitor. The four classes were cosmetic clones of each other.

The game has always been this way. Each base classes splits into one of 2 advanced classes, each of which has 3 talent trees. The only way you could have missed this is if you never got a character to level 10.
    edited June 2013
    As I pointed out in my edit, your TOR example pretty much defeats your point. Each side in TOR has 3 tanking options, Jedi Guardians / Sith Juggarnauts, Jedi Shadow / Sith Assassin, Vanguard / Powertech. Same for healing, there are 3 options to take the healing role. Yet the game manages it fine; each class has its own place while players have the benefit of having different playstyle options among each role. Just about every MMO or even game out there offers this choice. Going by your logic we shouldn't even have a GWF because one damage (rogue) or tank option is enough.

I used TOR as an example of creating cosmetic differences to classes (Jedi Knight/Sith Warrior) that are clones of each other not about having classes fit multiple group roles. I am sorry if I was confusing in that point. If vanity is all people are looking for then by all means clone the classes give them a different outfit, spell descriptions, particle effects, etc.
    12.jpgRanger.jpg
    edited June 2013
    The game has always been this way. Each base classes splits into one of 2 advanced classes, each of which has 3 talent trees. The only way you could have missed this is if you never got a character to level 10.

This is going completely off point since I was talking about cosmetic differences between same classes (Jedi Knight/Sith Warrior) not the mechanics of TOR class advancement system. It's about vanity or cosmetic artificial differences satisfying players need for more classes.
    12.jpgRanger.jpg
This discussion has been closed.