test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

End of Beta = Not Eventful

jlhopwonwjlhopwonw Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 18 Arc User
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
No boss, no celebration, no title, no nuthin'. Not very memorable. Not very eventful. You'd think something like the end of beta would be eventful. You'd be wrong. Just sayin', nay-sayers. And you'd think there would be some kind of thank you for letting me have the privilege of paying to beta-test your game. You'd also be wrong.
Post edited by jlhopwonw on

Comments

• cesmode8cesmode8 Member Posts: 384 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    They had lots of portals with some mobs that waltzed out and died and dropped some bones and a dog.
  • hann1bal13hann1bal13 Member Posts: 50
    edited June 2013
    Yeah, it's not like they set up a multi-day 3 stage event. God ****, MMO players are a bunch of whiny *****es.
  • chronomancerchronomancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,223
    edited June 2013
    It's sort of anti-climactic.
  • tinukedatinukeda Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Actually, if you participated in the event, you DID get a title/achievement out of it.
  • healhappyhealhappy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 92
    edited June 2013
    I was like, "Well, back to queuing for dungeon and skirmish like normal days."

Then I pop out my skelly puppy and went dawww over it. Best souvenir ever.
  • chronomancerchronomancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,223
    edited June 2013
    I was sort of hoping they would send out a one time/one per account (with an account bound version of the blue dog) gift package to everyone who participated.
  • cesmode8cesmode8 Member Posts: 384 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    the dynamic events, public quests in this game..whatever you want to call it are <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. If I wanted that, id log into GW2(which I do still do).
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    jlhopwonw wrote: »
    no title

"Protector of the Enclave" doesn't count? (Not disputing other points... just, I did manage to get a title out of the thing.)
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • saedeithsaedeith Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    As far as the official live launch of the game, the hype for it is quite frankly, pathetic.

If I did not browse this site from time to time, I would not have even known that NW has ended the beta stage today.
  • mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Yes, it was almost as if the game had already launched some time ago......
  • mehguy138mehguy138 Member Posts: 1,803 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I was sort of hoping they would send out a one time/one per account (with an account bound version of the blue dog) gift package to everyone who participated.

This. Every game I played during beta gave away a lot of gifts for everyone when it was released.
    M6 almost drains your soul given how boring it is. (c) joocycuzzzzzz
  • thestoryteller01thestoryteller01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    NW is considered a big player in the international MMO market so they might not be as generous as a niche game from Zanzibar about a superintelligent dolphin race.
    In case you find my grammar or spelling weird ---> native german speaker ;)
  • kainor1kainor1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I must admit I was hoping for some kind of climatical event (is climatical even a word? I dont think it is, I think I made it up)
    I was expecting / hoping for a final boss of some kind that would spawn every hour or so and would take a large group of players to defeat (raid style I guess) and then getting a once per character or account reward.

What kind of reward? I dont know, I dont make the game, but something decent that would be useful on characters for a large part of their career, like a fashion item that gave a boost to stats even when in your combat gear, or a ring that gives 10% bonus to all stats so that it would work from level 1 - 60. Or something. Like I say I have no clue, I just know I was hoping for something cool.

That said...

Its not the end of the world not getting something fancy for being part of the OB. A title is something. I just wish the titles actually did something worth while.
    [derail] anyone who has played Dragons Prophet will know that titles give small bonuses to your characters stats, which is really awesome and actually makes me want to use titles in game. [/derail]

But someone mentioned not getting anything even though they paid to play the Beta. Technically you did get what you paid for, be it a founders pack, astral diamonds. I think what your annoyed about is you didn't get anything extra. You'll find a mixed reaction to this, most people will say, 'so you didn't get something for nothing big deal', and others will agree you are entitled to something.
    This is because players are used to getting free stuff. MMORPG's are such a competitive market now that usually the Dev's throw free stuff at people just to get them interested.

Unfortunately in a way its slightly back fired because now players expect it over everything.

Down time? I want free stuff
    Bugs? I want compensation
    End of beta? I want free stuff

As players are we wrong to want this? Honestly I don't think so. As long as they aren't giving us game breaking stuff then I think its a great way for the game makers to show us, we the players, matter to them. Also it costs them little to nothing to do.
    At the same time though I don't want a free pack ~every time~ something goes wrong, or you take the fun factor away.

Players are very hard to please though, the Caturday packs for example, there was nothing game changing in these I admit. And to be fair the cloak and mask are pretty pointless. But. The rest of the stuff, the health stone, the xp scrolls and the teleport scrolls are really handy. It was a good pack, and yet a lot of people moaned (do a google search and you'll find a bunch of threads about how bad the pack was) I imagine these people wanted what most gamers want, a really good piece of loot that ups their power significantly but with little to no work needed to acquire it.

Of course that in the long run is a sure fire way to ruin someones fun. As we all know if you give too much away too easily the game gets old quickly, theres nothing left to challenge for and the players find something new. So the long and short of it is, they have to give away stuff like xp boosts and caps with pictures of cats on, because although at first glance these are crappy rewards, if they give away anything better they are ruining your fun, and you'll eventually hate them more for that.

Personally I commended the Caturday packs, for a game thats free, and was in Beta anyway I thought it was a nice touch to give us something. And I hope to see more of this 'caring about the community' behaviour in the future.
    In three years of playing DDO (arguably one of the best MMO's ever) I cannot remember getting anything like that, (possibly the TP codes for guild ship buffs, but that was only because they ~really~ borked it up) and it has a whole host of game breaking bugs and prolonged down times.

I have no idea how or why I went on for so long about this, but given I spent so much time typing it, I figured I'd post it. So if your still reading, sorry for the inconvenience.

-Kain
    - Level 60 Commoner