test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Odd Personal Information Request from Perfect World

fefnir3284fefnir3284 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 12 Arc User
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Has anyone else been prevented from buying Zen, then get an email requesting the below information?

After a security check we need you to verify your recent payment by providing the following:

- A full colour copy of a valid, official identification document; such as your international passport, national identity card or drivers licence (front and back). This is required in order for us to verify your identity.
- A copy of a paper utility bill (Gas Bill/Electricity Bill) or bank statement issued in the last three months clearly displaying your name and address. This is required in order for us to verify your address.

I find this odd as all transactions have been approved by my CC copy and they never asked for any security check. I tried email and phoning but can not get any response.

This same thing happened to my friend after only one $50 purchase.

Anyone else having very odd requests like these?
Post edited by fefnir3284 on

Comments

• Options
    sauceonsidesauceonside Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    that is indeed very odd. I have bought zen from PW before and never received that email. I suggest contacting support or sending in a ticket.
  • Options
    eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    That is an internet scam to steal your credit (and is NOT from PWE).
    Don't do it. Anyone asking for such information is a credit thief.
  • Options
    fefnir3284fefnir3284 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Yeah that's what I thought, still doesn't explain why, when accessing the buy zen (FROM IN GAME), the linked PW home site wont take my money. Neither my bank nor my CC company have gotten any flags.

When I call the site phone number I get an automated message saying all service reps are busy and then disconnected.

The charge from PW/skrill came via moneybookers . com which all looks legit.

So how do I contact them when the ticket I sent in, via their site, returned the same message of "after a security check we need <the same documents I entered in my first post>///
  • Options
    grizzdelgrizzdel Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 34
    edited June 2013
    100% scam from someone. You need to clean your PC ASAP and do not enter any important passwords to sites you may use, I.e banks.

Chances are high your PC is infected with tracking/keylogging malware.
  • Options
    srazysrazy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 207 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Have u watched the movie identity thief? And are you called Sandi?
    Because someone is trying to steal your ID, be very careful and like people said your computer might have some serious security breach.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited June 2013
    I can all but promise that is not PWE requesting that information.

I'll pass this thread up to the CM"s but do not give that information away! :eek:

As for your issue you're going to have to be more specific for us to troubleshoot what might be going wrong with your purchase. Saying something "doesn't work" really doesn't give much insight into what steps you may be missing or may be bugged for you. ;)
  • Options
    mewbreymewbrey Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 517 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Atrapitis.gif
    ~*~ Foundry missions: Stronghold Branax : Goblin menace : Forwyn crypts ~*~
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Member Posts: 5,727 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    1. They did not ask for these to set up your acct.
    2. they do not ask for these to check your details. They have specific questions for that.
    3. asking for photo id of those sorts, indicates attempted identity theft
    This is a phishing scam to get your personal details. DO NOT ANSWER IT
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    5e4fd3cb-b728-4870-849c-b007bccaf5e9_zpsqomajucn.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    ultimuslai2013ultimuslai2013 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    NEVER. NEVER reveal personal information (identification, bank account, credit card, login name/password) via EMAIL. NO gaming company would ask you for them via an unsecured email such as yahoo/gmail/etc. and other web email system.
  • Options
    ceryndrionceryndrion Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    However, it depends on HOW you bought your zen, since I'm pretty sure that PWE don't take payment directly, and if you went through Skrill (moneybrokers), it is quite normal for them to demand huge amounts of personal data that I am not willing to share with them.
    I reject your reality and I substitute my own!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My opinions are my own, and do not represent those of Perfect World Entertainment, or Cryptic Studios
    [ Rules of Conduct - Terms - FAQ - Support Centre - Important Stuff ]
  • Options
    lerdocixlerdocix Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Scammers intercepted your email(or you gave it somewhere you shouldn't) and now try to fish your details to steal your money.
  • Options
    stubbedtoesstubbedtoes Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 32
    edited June 2013
    You might still want to run malwarebytes/spybot and a good anti-virus to check for anything. That email certainly seems like the types of scams plaguing MMO players for years.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I can all but promise that is not PWE requesting that information.

I'll pass this thread up to the CM"s but do not give that information away! :eek:

As for your issue you're going to have to be more specific for us to troubleshoot what might be going wrong with your purchase. Saying something "doesn't work" really doesn't give much insight into what steps you may be missing or may be bugged for you. ;)

Sent you all the info, and no my computer is not a risk. All purchases came via an IN GAME Zen request, the site the actual GAME directed me to is the site I bought from, came along with a phone call confirm number, all of those Zen purchases were immediate and transferred to my in game account. As stated on my purchase history. Other info has been sent to the admin.
  • Options
    klugemaker1klugemaker1 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Sounds like a trap alright, highly recommend not responding.

I did have one game company ask me to supply similar forms ONCE, several years ago, to retake ownership of a hacked account. CD Key + Proof of Address and I did retake ownership of the account successfully.

However: I initiated the contact,
    they communicated the request over inbound, and
    they required the documents be "certified" by that guy at the post office with the rubber stamp.

With your situation there is no reason for PWE to initiate a request of this information. Although data such as this could be requested by your merchant services provider (paypal, visa, etc). In which case you should initate an inbound call to verify at their offical customer service center (do not use the contact information in the email!).

Or if you have a batch of stolen / counterfit game cards or something, in which case I would not recommend responding to the email either...
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Sounds like a trap alright, highly recommend not responding.

I did have one game company ask me to supply similar forms ONCE, several years ago, to retake ownership of a hacked account. CD Key + Proof of Address and I did retake ownership of the account successfully.

However: I initiated the contact,
    they communicated the request over inbound, and
    they required the documents be "certified" by that guy at the post office with the rubber stamp.

With your situation there is no reason for PWE to initiate a request of this information. Although data such as this could be requested by your merchant services provider (paypal, visa, etc). In which case you should initate an inbound call to verify at their offical customer service center (do not use the contact information in the email!).

Or if you have a batch of stolen / counterfit game cards or something, in which case I would not recommend responding to the email either...

Already contacted my CC and banks, neither of them contested anything. So its like the third party hired to process the extra amount of Zen requests for a new launch, or someone flipped out at me for spending too much, which is my business, noone else's -.-
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Just checked, in game Zen purchase linked site is STILL BLOCKING ME. I've now missed out on the bonus Zen weekend. When this <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> gets resolved Ill be wanting that bonus weekend. :/
  • Options
    maisaanmaisaan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 166
    edited June 2013
    I've been buying Zen for years using different payment methods and different cc's and I have never seen that.
  • Options
    hkiewahkiewa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 379 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    ceryndrion wrote: »
    However, it depends on HOW you bought your zen, since I'm pretty sure that PWE don't take payment directly, and if you went through Skrill (moneybrokers), it is quite normal for them to demand huge amounts of personal data that I am not willing to share with them.

This is true
  • Options
    koldmiserkoldmiser Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 131
    edited June 2013
    I have read of some of the overseas (I'm in the U.S.) money services asking for information like that, but I've never heard of any of PW's asking for that.
    Has anyone read the FAQ's for these services? Maybe there's some fine print somewhere. Doubt it, but worth a try.

And scan the hell out of your computer!
  • Options
    edited June 2013

Yeah it went through skrill/moneybrookers. So how do I resolve this? Im sure PWE would like to continue receiving my money :/
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    without giving them any freakin info. I know security, Im not dumb enough to send anything close to what they want.
  • Options
    cesmode8cesmode8 Member Posts: 384 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    fefnir3284 wrote: »
    Has anyone else been prevented from buying Zen, then get an email requesting the below information?

After a security check we need you to verify your recent payment by providing the following:

- A full colour copy of a valid, official identification document; such as your international passport, national identity card or drivers licence (front and back). This is required in order for us to verify your identity.
    - A copy of a paper utility bill (Gas Bill/Electricity Bill) or bank statement issued in the last three months clearly displaying your name and address. This is required in order for us to verify your address.

I find this odd as all transactions have been approved by my CC copy and they never asked for any security check. I tried email and phoning but can not get any response.

This same thing happened to my friend after only one $50 purchase.

Anyone else having very odd requests like these?

I'd call BS on this. Don't provide anything. Theres absolutely no reason why they would need this. The only people woh care about your identity would be your bank, and unless your bank is asking I wouldnt provide anything. If your bank is asking, call them and speak to a live person. And look up your banks phone number on their website, don't call from a phone number provided in this email.

Ive spent 40$ in the zen store, never been asked this.
  • Options
    zieglerzzieglerz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 197 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    someone flipped out at me for spending too much, which is my business, noone else's -.-

possibly. I do find it odd that the ingame link sent you to a scam site. Means you got a redirect to a phishing site most likely, and that would probably be attached to a rootkit package.
    You want to run hitmanpro or combofix. (fair warning, using either of these can make your computer OS unbootable, depending on the level of infection you have.)
    I doubt malwarebytes or spybot or adaware would catch the stuff you most likely have. Their called rootkits and Mbam, or the other two ancients dont do so good at finding them.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Yeah it went through skrill/moneybrookers. So how do I resolve this? Im sure PWE would like to continue receiving my money :/

I think it has something to do with various rules and regulations brought in by the Financial Services Authority, the European Parliament, and various other sources, that require financial institution services, such as Skrill, to be pro-active about preventing money laundering. Part of this is making sure that they can verify the identities of their customers. As a result of this, there is not much you can do, other than provide them with the information that they request.

In my particular case, I simply switched to paying via paypal, as paypal already had all that information, and I have more trust in them than in skrill, whom I had never heard of before using them to purchase zen.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My opinions are my own, and do not represent those of Perfect World Entertainment, or Cryptic Studios
  • Options
    wolfrat14wolfrat14 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 184 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Sorry about this post; I see now that this information request is from Skillr or whomever, and is just a bizarre consequence of using them.

I would never send any of the information they are requesting. I would only give that type of information to the bank that was doing my mortgage loan, face-to-face.
  • Options
    vampiregoatvampiregoat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    CLEARLY a good way to steal your info then your life and money IGNORE AND SEEK THAT VIRUS OUT AND KILL IT.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    wolfrat14 wrote: »
    "So, are you sending me those color copies of your passport or what? Come on, you can trust me! I am Yurgi from the gym"

Seriously though, I would back up your data files and reformat your hard drive. Your computer is utterly Shanghai-ed, and everything you input is being monitored by a malicious program. Stay on top of your credit card statements and your credit report, big time, like you never have before in your life, or you will be in a world of hurt. If someone steals your identity and starts using it to open new lines of credit the only place you will see it is your credit report.

There is really no need for this doom-mongering, as has already been established, this was a request from Skrill.com, which is a financial service that PWE use to handle credit card services, they are required by law to ask for this information as shown in the following information, taken directly from Skrill's website.
    The issue of electronic money is regulated by the Electronic Money Regulations 2011 (“EMR”) which implement the second EU Electronic Money Directive (“2EMD”), which was adopted by the European Parliament and the Council of the European Union in September 2009. Moneybookers Ltd. is authorised by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) under the Electronic Money Regulations 2011 for the issuing of electronic money, Register No. 900001.

Key features of the regulation include:
    • Capital requirements & liquidity — Our business is required to maintain minimum levels of capital. There is an initial and continuous threshold of € 350,000 own funds. We must also hold sufficiently liquid assets to be able to redeem all e-money issued and to meet our working capital requirements.
    • Float Management — There is a clear set of regulations on how we have to safeguard our customers funds and how we can invest the funds received in exchange for the issue of e-money. In particular the EMR and 2EMD require authorised e-money issuers to safeguard funds received from customers for e-money so that, if there is an insolvency event, the e-money issued would be protected from other creditors’ claims and can be repaid to customers.
    • Management & Vetting at Entry — The FCA must be satisfied that all individuals who are responsible for the management of the e-money and payment service are of good repute and possess appropriate knowledge and experience. The FCA is performing a " fit and proper test " on each member of Moneybookers Limited senior management considering honesty, integrity, reputation, competence, capability and financial soundness.
    • Systems & Controls — We must maintain organisational arrangements that are sufficient to minimise the risk of the loss or reduction of our customers funds or assets through fraud, misuse, negligence or poor administration. In addition we are required to have effective risk management procedures, adequate internal control mechanisms and to maintain relevant records.
    • Financial Crime — We must comply with legal requirements to deter and detect financial crime, which includes money laundering and terrorist financing. Relevant legislation includes the financial crime provisions in the EMRs, section 21A of the Terrorism Act 2000, the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002, the Money Laundering Regulations 2007, the EC wire transfer regulation21 and Schedule 7 to the Counter-Terrorism Act 2008. Electronic money issuers are also subject to the various pieces of legislation that implement the UK’s financial sanctions regime.
    The Money Laundering Regulations 2007 require firms to put preventative measures in place. They require firms to ensure that they know their customers (including conducting customer identification and verification and undertake ongoing monitoring where applicable), to keep records of identity and to train their staff on the requirements of the Regulations. A senior member of staff needs to be appointed to oversee appropriate policies and procedures.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Options
    wolfrat14wolfrat14 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 184 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    There is really no need for this doom-mongering, as has already been established, this was a request from Skrill.com, which is a financial service that PWE use to handle credit card services, they are required by law to ask for this information as shown in the following information, taken directly from Skrill's website.

I apologize for the post; I am only now being made aware of Skrill's policies. I would still never send that information to a company like Skrill. Get a PayPal account or something.

Obviously your computer does not have malware if these are legitimate requests from Skrill.
  • Options
    zarnicuszarnicus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Never give out such information unless you are the one who calls a known number or goes to the company site by entering the URL yourself (not by clicking a link).

Buy Robocopy and use it to keep your passwords.