test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Well we gave it a go

jalfreyjalfrey Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
But sadly, for me and my fiancee, this game is not for us.

We have played since the open beta launched and I spent $100 on Zen 2 weeks ago to try and catch up with AD after the exploits completely screwed up the economy. But to be honest there just isn't anything "fun" in the game.

The quests from 1-60 are just a boring grind - there is nothing imaginative or interesting about them, the rewards are just terrible, although I will admit the scenery is nice.

The Epic Dungeons are equally dull - there is nothing exciting about them, nothing unpredictable and the rewards are equally terrible.

The event currently running is just utterly ridiculous and again the rewards are terrible - the double enchants offer nothing of interest to replace existing single enchants.

The idea of doing Bind on Pickup on T2 gear, well there are over 50 pages on that issue I don't think I need to add any more - let's just say it is just the dumbest thing I ever heard since the beta started.

The economy, it is completely screwed, there are a significant number of players who gained massively from the various exploits and have been permitted to just keep their gains (even a cursory look at the enchants on the AH with stacks and stacks of 99 lvl 4s and 5s posted by the same dozen people is enough to illustrate that fact). This means they effectively control the economy which puts everyone else in a losing position.

The "re-balancing" patch was an epic fail from what I have seen and read, for most classes. Furthermore, the lack of classes and lack of paragon paths doesn't improve the situation.

No open world exploration either - this is a serious killer if you ask me. One of the best things an MMO can do is have a big and varied open world for people to explore, with random bosses popping up every now and again preferably. Eve does it, WoW does it, Shaiya does it, Aion does it, Guild Wars (1 & 2) does it, Anarchy Online etc. etc. etc. but Neverwinter doesn't - when you hit 60 you are condemned to either sitting in the main city, running the same dungeons over and over again or doing foundry missions.

Now, foundry - it could have been the games greatest asset but no, they want to control it far too much. Being a foundry quest maker should have the same rush as being a Dungeon Master in the old table top D&D - where you plan the encounters, the dungeons - everything - INCLUDING the loot. But foundry quest makers have no control over the loot, so no matter how much work they put into a quest, the rewards are generally still absolutely terrible. I remember when I was a teenager playing AD&D Second Edition and developing the "Rod Of Seven Parts" campaign for our weekly group - a campaign which lasted well over a year and took players across wondrous worlds, dark and feared dungeons, encounters with dragons and demigods, and a whole host of other fun. That is what foundry should be, not "just another dungeon with crappy rewards".

The entire game seems focused on pushing people towards the Zen shop. You want AD, buy Zen and exchange them. You want a nice mount - buy Zen and either buy one or take a chance with RNG on the nightmare chests or open enough chests to get the Twilight from Bars. Want a nice companion - buy Zen to either buy one from Zen shop or sell for diamonds to buy one. Want cool fashion outfits - same thing. Want to level your professions to the max - the only way is to buy buy buy and even then if you want to make shirt and pants you have to buy buy buy even more because unless you have those purple "assets" you don't have a snowball in hell's chance of making them. With regards to all the other purple gear you can make (other than shirt and pants) don't bother, because it is so useless no-one is ever going to buy it.

Seals - everything you can buy with seals is useless with the exception of the Drake Minor accessories to go with your PVP set whilst you farm the T2s.

Those stupid tokens you get from each quest zone - again, utterly useless.

I loved AD&D, I loved the idea of playing something which claimed to be for D&D enthusiasts, my fiancee and I love to game together (we met gaming together in another MMO) it is something we have a joint passion for. We both came to Neverwinter after being completely disillusioned by Guild Wars 2, hoping that finally we could find something to replace Shaiya, something new with a modern engine, outstanding graphics and gameplay which both inspires and captures - Neverwinter isn't it, it is just yet another grind pushing you all the time to buy some faux currency to spend in the "mostly cosmetic offers no advantage over none spenders, we promise..." P2W shop.

Neverwinter, you have failed.

Goodbye.
Post edited by jalfrey on

Comments

• antovarasantovaras Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Threads like this serve no purpose I'm afraid. In about an hour it'll be locked, punted to the lower depths and forgotten about... But if you think this game has grind you really can't have played any other MMOs.
    A world to defend
    A city to protect
    innocents to save
    "Why?" They ask "they hate you"
    We're heroes it's what we do.
    *patiently waiting on Paragon City*
  • wuhsinwuhsin Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    jalfrey wrote: »
    Now, foundry - it could have been the games greatest asset but no, they want to control it far too much. Being a foundry quest maker should have the same rush as being a Dungeon Master in the old table top D&D - where you plan the encounters, the dungeons - everything - INCLUDING the loot. But foundry quest makers have no control over the loot, so no matter how much work they put into a quest, the rewards are generally still absolutely terrible. I remember when I was a teenager playing AD&D Second Edition and developing the "Rod Of Seven Parts" campaign for our weekly group - a campaign which lasted well over a year and took players across wondrous worlds, dark and feared dungeons, encounters with dragons and demigods, and a whole host of other fun. That is what foundry should be, not "just another dungeon with crappy rewards".

There are reasons to play Foundry quests besides loot. I've been five-starred before because my quest dropped good loot even. But yeah, the Foundry is not able to live up to it's potential with the current reward system. The problem is it rewards people for doing the SAME quest over and over again. Seriously. Why try new Foundry quests when you can run the same four at the top of the list every day? Another thing is, it's a "Goldilocks" reward system where 10 minutes is too short, 20 minutes is too long, and 15 minutes is just right... So that basically discourages people from playing any quest that isn't solely designed to be an AD dispensing hamster wheel that just barely makes it over that much coveted fifteen minute mark.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • efaiciaefaicia Member Posts: 71
    edited June 2013
    http://archeage-online.com/

Not sure that it will be a free to play. But it is for an older generation of gamer. I will be there in hopes of escaping the instant gratification games.

Edit: a little more info + there is closed beta sign ups going out as well http://www.archeage.com/en#index
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • leshil40leshil40 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 157 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    They serve a purpose to give notice that Cryptic has succumbed to the PWE mode of making games. The bait and switch is now on as well.
  • seneca671seneca671 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    wuhsin wrote: »
    Seriously. Why try new Foundry quests when you can run the same four at the top of the list every day? Another thing is, it's a "Goldilocks" reward system where 10 minutes is too short, 20 minutes is too long, and 15 minutes is just right... So that basically discourages people from playing any quest that isn't solely designed to be an AD dispensing hamster wheel that just barely makes it over that much coveted fifteen minute mark.

I agree that the daily foundry system actually messes with the foundry itself (maybe that needs a thread if it doesn't have one). But for the record, there are people (me, therefore more of us) that play Foundries because of cool content, and don't give a snot about the best loot.
  • vorticanvortican Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 367 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The Foundry is awesome. I just ran across 4 quests by a single author that were simple and hilariously entertaining (check out Bill's Tavern and the 27th Level if you have not already). If you're playing for loot, the Foundry is not for you, but if you're playing for fun, there has only been one Foundry quest that I've played which I have not enjoyed, and I haven't played more than 10, but that's saying something for user-generated content. This game might not be for everyone but *****ing about the Foundry I just don't understand. It would be nice if the game could automatically rate loot and/or scale custom-made items to level, and perhaps that is something the developers could come up with, but as it is, the Foundry is one of this game's biggest assets.

As for the rest, I am not in a position to comment as I am not level 60 yet (although I have only 5 levels left to go and at least 3 areas yet to explore... way overlevelled) so I'll just go back to crafting many, many pairs of pants.
  • skarlspeedskarlspeed Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Hey I am on beholder can I have you and your Girlfriend's stuff?
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Now, foundry - it could have been the games greatest asset but no, they want to control it far too much. Being a foundry quest maker should have the same rush as being a Dungeon Master in the old table top D&D - where you plan the encounters, the dungeons - everything - INCLUDING the loot. But foundry quest makers have no control over the loot

Unfortunately, it's been proven over and over again (CoH, STO, etc), that if you give people that much control over player-made missions? They'll build a room, with a 1-hp mob in the center of it, who drops a dragon's horde of loot. And the majority of players will just spam that mission over and over.

(I remember the one that popped up while I was playing STO - people made farming maps with a dozen inactive battleships sitting on top of each other in a nebula. Nebula meant they had no shields, standing on top of each other meant you could kill a couple and the core explosions would kill the rest, and battleships meant they dropped good loot. And you needed a quest that lasted 15 minutes - so that people couldn't do the "activate this console in 5 seconds for the daily quest" thing - so they just had you warp between ten maps like that. Huge xp, huge loot, no danger, no story.)

People figure out an exploit for the player-made missions, they patch it. Figure out another exploit, they patch it. Over and over and over, until you have a system with lots of limitations. Not because the devs wanted it that way, but because they had to because players, in general, are greedy/lazy/cheaters.
  • mageor0lmageor0l Member Posts: 51
    edited June 2013

The quests from 1-60 are just a boring grind - there is nothing imaginative or interesting about them, the rewards are just terrible, although I will admit the scenery is nice.

Whenever i read something like this, the first thing that comes to my mind is: What in gods name did you expect?
    You downloaded the client for a mmo type of game, thinking there would be anything but grind quests?

-Kill X of Y; Gather a of b; walk from b to c; protect npcs from spawns while he walks from d to f

Thats basically what you will get from any mmo when it comes to quests.

Infact, the grind in this game is small compared to many other mmos. When i got a quest "Kill 8 Bandits" (which can be done in 1 minute) i was almost like : What, did the accidently miss the zero on that?
  • efaiciaefaicia Member Posts: 71
    edited June 2013
    kiralyn wrote: »
    Unfortunately, it's been proven over and over again (CoH, STO, etc), that if you give people that much control over player-made missions? They'll build a room, with a 1-hp mob in the center of it, who drops a dragon's horde of loot. And the majority of players will just spam that mission over and over.

(I remember the one that popped up while I was playing STO - people made farming maps with a dozen inactive battleships sitting on top of each other in a nebula. Nebula meant they had no shields, standing on top of each other meant you could kill a couple and the core explosions would kill the rest, and battleships meant they dropped good loot. And you needed a quest that lasted 15 minutes - so that people couldn't do the "activate this console in 5 seconds for the daily quest" thing - so they just had you warp between ten maps like that. Huge xp, huge loot, no danger, no story.)

People figure out an exploit for the player-made missions, they patch it. Figure out another exploit, they patch it. Over and over and over, until you have a system with lots of limitations. Not because the devs wanted it that way, but because they had to because players, in general, are greedy/lazy/cheaters.

That would be easily overcome by giving the Foundry Authors access to bosses that have specific loot quilities and then make those bosses accessible to the Author after they have met a specified number of encounters and line texts (for quests or story)

Wow, easy to fix. I mean, they have already proven that they can control the flow of the foundry missions. All they would need to do is add bosses, give those bosses loot tables that have a nice quality and then tie in coding that reads the classes and drops loot according to the character playing.

P.S i know coding isn't easy and there is a lot that goes with it. But when a game I played 5 years ago was able to base drops on the characters playing, even raid zones..*shrug* Wth am I talking about? That was a game that gave a ****, nvm.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jalfreyjalfrey Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    skarlspeed wrote: »
    Hey I am on beholder can I have you and your Girlfriend's stuff?

No we already NPC'd everything.
  • chronomancerchronomancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,223
    edited June 2013
    Imagine if they allow the foundry creator to set the loot. Do you think people will give "fair" loot ? We'll have foundry missions that does nothing but give out loot.
  • darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Goodbye! Enjoy life!
    No "I Quit" threads.
    We're sorry to see you go, but please keep your goodbyes to PMs or in game messages. These threads do not contribute to the community discussion and generally end in hate or flames.
  • kashimaa1kashimaa1 Member Posts: 104
    edited June 2013
    very well written OP.

btw fun = rewards. cant imagine someone enjoys foundrys for more than a few quests to be honest.
  • skarlspeedskarlspeed Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Well hey hope you find a better experience!
  • c4hammerc4hammer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Spot on about dungeons. I've never seen more boring boss fights in my life. They're all the same. High hitpoint boss with a bunch of adds. Spellplague at least has a little variation, but wow are the boss mechanics repetitive.
  • holt3holt3 Member Posts: 333 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Thanks for letting us know with a big, long winded post no one is going to read.
  • skiderikskiderik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    bump...........
  • mrvincent1959mrvincent1959 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    That was a very good post by the thread creator, but I have found enough here to stick with it. The dungeons sans the overly ludicrous end boss are really fun and THATS what keeps me here. I have faith that this game will keep getting better with new content in the form of Quests and additional Dungeons that have challenging end boss without being frustratingly bad.

This is only the beginning. You know, I have a feeling you will be back playing again at some point. It's hard to stay away.

BTW, I do agree with you about the economy. This game really needed or needs a full wipe. Despite all the work I put into my Cleric, I would accept this.
    twitch.tv/kaligold
  • xanos900xanos900 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 116 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    @op
    is there a reason you have to tell us that you're leaving?
    i mean, its not like anybody would care or give a **** about you anyway. if you dont like the game, well its simple and only 4letters long: GTFO

ah and please close the door behind you okay?
  • nikitaoznikitaoz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 149 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    1. Why spending $100 on a game without properly playing it? OK. It's up to everyone. I've spent 10 euros and feel like they could've better gone elsewhere.
    2. It is good that there are threads like this. If developers don't take the gist and don't try improve/rebuild something - this one fine game here will be as good as dead.
    3. There is no need to rush and try hard to be on par with everyone. There are many P2W games next door. This game is about using exploits to their fullest potential. L2P. Oops, sorry L2E.
  • s3pts3pt Member Posts: 177 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Imagine if they allow the foundry creator to set the loot. Do you think people will give "fair" loot ? We'll have foundry missions that does nothing but give out loot.

Easy enough to work around if they implemented a seal system with loot rewards for the foundry, and put a cap on how many seals you can obtain daily/weekly.

Edit: threads like this, which are feedback threads can help devs understand why some people find the game lacking and improve it for everyone's benefit. They are infinitely better than sycophant fanboy posts telling people to "gtfo", which I'm fairly certain the devs don't want people to do.
  • lasheslashes Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    s3pt wrote: »
    Edit: threads like this, which are feedback threads can help devs understand why some people find the game lacking and improve it for everyone's benefit.

Support > Contact us > Submit = Much more effective

People posting in this thread are players. They can not do anything about the OPs concerns. All threads like this do is antagonize and invite discourse.

Exhibit A = This Thread.
  • s3pts3pt Member Posts: 177 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    lashes wrote: »
    Support > Contact us > Submit

Sure there's that, but threads on forums lets others add to the discussion, and discussion can lead to ideas, ideas that can help improve the game.
  • skalt112skalt112 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Support > Contact us > Submit

Forum - Neverwinter Discussion - General Discussion - Create Post. (does not clog up the system)
    edited June 2013
    skalt112 wrote: »
    Forum - Neverwinter Discussion - General Discussion - Create Post. (does not clog up the system)

... which is why "Goodbye Threads" are prohibited.

NB4 the lock.
  • kagetempestkagetempest Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Honestly, I really think they should do a full wipe of the economy and any items procured from zen and astrals while giving everyone back the zen they have spent through the shop and have not gained through astral diamond Zen exchange. They have to re tune the economy and close the loop holes. The exploits that people have abused have destroyed the game's auction house, which is very very laughable to begin with, and probably contributed to the ridiculously high prices on certain astral items...
  • redneckroninredneckronin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    All threads like this do is antagonize and invite discourse.

Exhibit A = This Thread.

That's not a problem caused by this type of thread though is it?

That problem is caused by the player community.

All The Best
    Campaign: Call Of The Wild - Information, Links To Review Threads, Screenshots

Looking For Reviews For Your Foundry Quest?
    Drop By Scribe's Enclave & Meet Up With Volunteer Reviewers.
  • draaagundraaagun Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    holt3 wrote: »
    Thanks for letting us know with a big, long winded post no one is going to read.
    Well I myself read it and every comment leading up to yours, the OP's post was spot on. Just because you do not care to read it does not mean someone else does not. Do you always speak for everyone in a situation ? If so Im sure you are a very interesting and enjoyable person to be around. Best regards dragonuts330
    edited June 2013
    That's not a problem caused by this type of thread though is it?

That problem is caused by the player community.

All The Best

um ... except for its against forum rules. "Goodbye threads" are not allowed.

Remove all mention of "goodbyes" and re-submit suggestions and poster will be in compliance. Not sure what the need to say "goodbye" adds to the point of the thread other than as a retaliatory measure.

Sort of like a jilted lover.
This discussion has been closed.