test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Companions and Recovery

kyjenn70kyjenn70 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
edited January 2014 in PvE Discussion
Does Recovery affect companions ability cooldowns? when i put recovery into one of their slots, i don't see their abilities decrease...bug or working as intended?
Post edited by kyjenn70 on

Comments

• Options
    kyjenn70kyjenn70 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Does anyone know the answer? is it worth putting Recovery into Companion slots to speed up abilities?
  • Options
    arcadinal24arcadinal24 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Going to bump this because I would also like to know the answer. Companions have a Recovery stat on their sheet, but do not technically have Encounter Powers or Daily Powers. As the OP says, it doesn't seem to change the companion's ability cool down times (at least on the sheet). Does it actually reduce the cool down of their standard abilities?
  • Options
    illessenillessen Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 44
    edited May 2013
    I assume, the best way would be to test with something that has a long cooldown like Galeb Duhr. I have one, but I don't know/have much recovery stuff. I believe there are pet enhancement gems that grant recovery as well, so you'd assume it would reduce their cooldowns. Only encounter powers have cooldowns on players so, I'd assume the companions actually have no 'At-Will' attacks and have exclusively encounter powers. But until someone can actually test this and figure out how much, if any, recovery reduces their abilities.
  • Options
    keterysketerys Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It'd be really dumb for companions to get Recovery bonuses if they did nothing. Their powers are all "encounter" powers with 2-30s cooldowns, for instance, so it should work just fine.

That said, it probably does nothing. ;)
  • Options
    lltsnwnlltsnwn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 787 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    kyjenn70 wrote: »
    Does Recovery affect companions ability cooldowns? when i put recovery into one of their slots, i don't see their abilities decrease...bug or working as intended?

Any verified news on if recovery works on companions?
    12.jpgRanger.jpg
  • Options
    lltsnwnlltsnwn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 787 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Recovery itemization effects on Companions reducing skill cooldown? Bueller Bueller Bueller... And yes I know I should be testing this myself but I'm at work so I'll be a forum warrior!
    12.jpgRanger.jpg
  • Options
    draconerus1draconerus1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    That would be helpful information.
  • Options
    abombination247abombination247 Member Posts: 1,279 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    You know as it stands. Companions are kinda stuck. The only companions that are good are Ion stone/cat. Cause you get 100% of there stats. So they in effect become a stat stick. Load them up with what your character needs and not worry about the companion.

Now as for your companion that isn't these. I have noticed that recovery doesn't help them at all. Not one bit. So in my companion since I can't afford a cat. I have the Jagged Dancing sword now from PvP glory cause at least it can go to 25 lvl. I also find it to be best stats non cat/ion stone. Since you get 3 sword not slots and 3 offensive slots. Then you can use a enchantment for % stats to come to you and have a awesome striker as well. So socket all power/crit or the offensive stat you need but not recovery. This is my personel experience. Recovery doesn't help your companion and it wont help you if its on your companion.
  • Options
    survientsurvient Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I disagree. Certain tank companions are immensely useful for drawing threat, and other strikes can be useful as supplemental dps as well if you keep aggro off of them properly.

In regards to the recovery question I tested this on my panther and he is using his pounce ability in much less time than every 5 seconds. He's mediocre for awhile, but at capstone that pounce knocks enemies prone. With a lot of recovery items on him along with defensive items to keep him kicking(give him regeneration so he heals in combat) it gets pretty ridiculous.
  • Options
    annashadowsannashadows Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Sorry for a little archeology, but that's the topic I found while googling this issue. I was wondering about that myself while gearing up the Fawn of Shiallia. Since this one has very limited scope of stats that are actually useful (power&regeneration) and most of the items have 3 stats, I was wondering what to equip as 3rd stat. My choices due to equipment limitations were narrowed down to defense or recovery, so I started testing if recovery is a valid option at all.

So far my crude testing method shows that recovery indeed is affecting companion skills. Spring of Life has a 35s cooldown. I timed this skill alone while constantly being in combat. Without any equipment it's 35s as intended. With 133 Recovery in companion's eq, this drops down to 33.xx s (something above 33 and below 34), but timing it several times while constantly in combat turned out to be visibly less than 35s.

The tooltip description does not change, so I just wanted a confirmation if my tests were correct and it is in fact worthwhile to use recovery as a 3rd stat. I have no idea how much less cooldown there will be when fully geared (I have only 1 item so far). Even if it went down from 35 to 30s, would it be better or worse than just plain defense? So far Fawn didn't die on me (not like the ever dying Cleric companion) so I'm not sure if I even should consider defense at all. What do you think?
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The tooltip description does not change, so I just wanted a confirmation if my tests were correct and it is in fact worthwhile to use recovery as a 3rd stat. I have no idea how much less cooldown there will be when fully geared (I have only 1 item so far). Even if it went down from 35 to 30s, would it be better or worse than just plain defense? So far Fawn didn't die on me (not like the ever dying Cleric companion) so I'm not sure if I even should consider defense at all. What do you think?

There's a lot of argument about whether recovery works on companions or not, and while people have reported that it makes a big difference (on Vicious Dire Wolf), others say it makes no difference (on Cleric Disciple).

It's entirely possible that without testing individual companions, there's no way to be sure. Your tests indicate that adding recovery to your fawn has a noticeable positive effect.

I would also be reluctant to stack defense on a companion that isn't experiencing survival issues. What level of content is this in? Companions hold up well in the early game, take a huge beating starting midgame and spend most of their time on the ground in the final few areas of levelling content, then hold up fine again in the level 60 campaigns.

One thing to note is that companion ability tooltips appear to be static text, so looking at them for an updated cooldown from stacking recovery will not be informative.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    annashadowsannashadows Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Thanks for answering :) The Fawn is currently attached to my newly started Hunter Ranger, so it's mid level so far (28-ish). Both my level 60ies have their augment pets, and Cleric companions annoy the hell out of me by being constantly dead no matter how much defense I pump into them. Plus I wanted to do something different with this char:)

Regeneration healing seemed like an original idea, and when properly geared (lv60 blue item with correct stats - better than purples without required stats) it holds up really well so far. Probably because of the regeneration thing, it does not out aggro me while soloing. The Fawn is quite new (and quite unpopular mechanics wise from what I heard) so I yet have to get feedback/experience the endgame with it. But it's cute and does not speak, so those two things alone make it a keeper ^_^

Assuming it would take a heavy beating later on, would it be better to switch to defense or stick to recovery for slightly more often heals?
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I'm curious about it myself. At some point, I really need to do a little build testing on an under-performing GWF. I could concurrently work that in with a little fawn gear testing.

Bah, so little time to do everything.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    eliotx2eliotx2 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Allow me to add this bit of info: recovery on Cleric Disciple had almost no effect. I put neck and ring with 250 recovery each, but no noticeable effect noticed. No faster heals, no better heals. Out of curiosity: putting more power in her made heals a bit stronger than the 20% mentioned in the skill description.